User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions

Unread 14 Oct 2006, 23:29   #1
rain

rain can only hope to improve
How frustrating is this

New round, rules getting improved. The period before a new planet can be exiled increased from 24 ticks to 48 ticks. No comment. But how frustrating can be to have a spy in gal, one who gives away gal status/gal activity to his alliance? One who laughs in your face, cause there´s nothing you can do to stop him from doing it? Especially now when he can stay for 2 days, not one.
In the past i spent hours on #support explaining to admins this situation. And this is quite an important issue, a lot of attacks are made in the begining of the round using this tactic. You can even call it cheating, when no one has jgp scan, some do get it at no cost and no research. Solving this is quite easy, just allow GC and ministers to block any planet in gal that they want to block from seeing gal status. Easy to implement really and will remove a lot of posible GC head aches. More, I can´t see any reason not to implement this, keeping the things the way they are atm will only encourage cheating and/or dirty playing.
Unread 14 Oct 2006, 23:41   #2
Stoom
Bragpack™

Stoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How frustrating is this

Don't be such a hypocrite, I'm sure Omen uses it aswell.

but agreed though.
Stoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Oct 2006, 23:59   #3
rain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoom
Don't be such a hypocrite, I'm sure Omen uses it aswell.

but agreed though.
Funny
Don´t want to drag this offtopic, but your logic has flaws.
1. Why would I(you assume i´m Omen i think^^) cut down Omen´s roid income(since you´re so sure they´re using it and maybe they do)?
2. One thing´s for sure, you must have something against me, like many other ppl though, but I fail to see why. This is in PA´s best interest why am I hypocrite, like you say I am?
Unread 15 Oct 2006, 01:41   #4
Appocomaster
PA Team

Appocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

The last time this rule was changed was at the beginning of Round 18 :-) This is the second round the rule has been like this - like many things, no one seems to remember it was there last round too!

Admittedly the fact we now insert new accounts (after tick 100) into c200 helps to keep the inactives out anyway.

Edit: to clarify as I wasn't so clear, part of the delay was to give a better chance at integrating new planets in the galaxies, and for new signups to have time to sort out passwords, payment, etc before they were chucked out. The fact that they're not placed in the active universe until they have successfully logged in now means that there isn't such a need.

Edit#2: I so missed the last lines of the original post . Late nights coding.

I guess the easiest way of doing this would be to tie it in to the wanted/unwanted section of politics.
However, the issue in the less active gals (though spying obviously isn't such an issue there) is that sometimes there is no GC etc to set such a thing. It does give a lot of power to the GC/ministers and might cause some issues of trust. It is another way GCs can be a pain in the rear.

Last edited by Appocomaster; 15 Oct 2006 at 01:58.
Appocomaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Oct 2006, 01:58   #5
rain

I was talking about spying, avoiding the tech tree and killing ppls start(honest ppl who play by the rules, checking their attacks with real jgp or even landing blindly). What´s that got to do with new accounts? New players are always welcome if their heart is pure. Beside, seeing gal status won´t help gal much, as they, being in protection period won´t be able to send def ships anyway. They do have 3 days to prove themselves worthy to stay in that gal, implementing what I propose won´t harm new players, thats for sure.
Unread 15 Oct 2006, 03:22   #6
Cochese
Retired

Cochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond repute

rain makes a decent point about the protection period...if they can't send fleets due to protection, why should they need to see galaxy status?

I experienced a similar situation this round by self-exile...I jumped through two galaxies, gaining galaxy channel, IRC nickname, and defense channel info from just to "cheat" the system and end up in the galaxy I was trying to exile into. Granted, in my case it was just icing on the cake, but it still reiterates the point

Utterly useless since r3
Cochese is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Oct 2006, 10:03   #7
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future

I agree with the idea to simply not show galaxy status to planets in protection, sure it means they arn't useful in the reporting incomings to alliances sense - but given that few would trust people to do so in the first 72 ticks I don't see that as being a particularly bad downside.

Round 6-10 NoS member-->NoS junior HC
Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Check out toastmonster.com for crazy illustrations and art
Kal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Oct 2006, 10:30   #8
Lοki
God of Fire and Mischief

Lοki is a jewel in the roughLοki is a jewel in the roughLοki is a jewel in the rough

Why not just make it 24 hours again. I doubt that many gals will change their opinion about someone within those 24h. Everyone will take actives even if their score isn't very good (I think), unactives get exiled anyway. Like in my gal, there are two PA-active players (*) but they don't respond to ANYTHING, so they're completely useless. I would like to exile that kind of people sooner as well.

I haven't yet had a spy of this sort, but shortening it to 24 hours should minimize damage
Lοki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Oct 2006, 12:17   #9
Alessio
deserves a medal

Alessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
Originally Posted by rain
Solving this is quite easy, just allow GC and ministers to block any planet in gal that they want to block from seeing gal status. Easy to implement really and will remove a lot of posible GC head aches.
Dude, my gal won't even let me in the galchan because they 'fear' spies
Unread 15 Oct 2006, 13:25   #10
rain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessio
Dude, my gal won't even let me in the galchan because they 'fear' spies
my point exactly
and if you´re a spy you don´t even need to be in gal chan, you have gal status and you can see who´s online on gal page^^(pretty dumb of them not to let new ppl in gal chan)
this implementing will remove the ``fear´´
Unread 15 Oct 2006, 13:31   #11
wakey
Hamster

wakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal
I agree with the idea to simply not show galaxy status to planets in protection, sure it means they arn't useful in the reporting incomings to alliances sense - but given that few would trust people to do so in the first 72 ticks I don't see that as being a particularly bad downside.
rain isn't however talking about just new players though is he, he's talking about ANY planet who lands in your galaxy and cant initially be exiled and quite frankly block gal status for anyone who cant be exiled or giving a GC the ability to choose who can and can not see the gal status is immensely unfair and abusable.

1) Why should someone whos being exiled around the universe just because the galaxy they land in are elitist snobs not be allowed to take part in the galaxy fully thus proving that they are worthwhile keeping or for that matter being unable to see when an income isn't still coming on a planet they are defending just because they are new

2) GC's getting the power to block galaxy status access is immensely dangourous. We already have certain alliances in this game who actively encourage members not to report incoming on their galaxy mates that belongs to rival alliances, Now you would be able to cut off certain people from knowing when incoming was happening thus cut off groups of players and hence damage them and their alliances rounds
The Farnborough Crew
Cos anything else is just an alliance
Join our public channel at #f-crew
wakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Oct 2006, 16:10   #12
rain

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakey
rain isn't however talking about just new players though is he, he's talking about ANY planet who lands in your galaxy and cant initially be exiled and quite frankly block gal status for anyone who cant be exiled or giving a GC the ability to choose who can and can not see the gal status is immensely unfair and abusable.

1) Why should someone whos being exiled around the universe just because the galaxy they land in are elitist snobs not be allowed to take part in the galaxy fully thus proving that they are worthwhile keeping or for that matter being unable to see when an income isn't still coming on a planet they are defending just because they are new

2) GC's getting the power to block galaxy status access is immensely dangourous. We already have certain alliances in this game who actively encourage members not to report incoming on their galaxy mates that belongs to rival alliances, Now you would be able to cut off certain people from knowing when incoming was happening thus cut off groups of players and hence damage them and their alliances rounds
1) Active, decent new players are priceless for any gal. I always encouraged new players in my gal, offered them resources, targets and scans, just to help them grow hence help the gal grow(anyone playing with me in the past can confirm this). And my past gals always ended high in top, which shows this is the way to take. I cared about the gal members quality and always tryed to improve it. Any GC not interested in new players is a dumb ass and not worthy to lead a gal and those ´elitist snobs´ are exactly what you called them: some elites in snobbism, nothing to do with PA elite. Quick parallel to rules changed and PA ´improvements´, they´re always made by ppl not quite elite in PA and sometimes consequences are disastrous. As well as posting in forums, it can be done by anyone, unfortunatelly most posts are bullshit. Nothing we can do in both cases. PA is getting worse every round, but it´s where our friends are hanging around.
2) Staying in a hostile galaxy is another dumb thing that most players would avoid. When you realise your incoming was not reported on purpose, you realise you´re playing alone and your chances to survive are even worse than if you´d play in last gal in top, as your attackers can return tomorrow and the day after and your incoming will still not be reported, so why not exile to increase your chances to survive? Tip to GCs: If you or your friends ingal actually don´t report incomings on purpose, go find another game, you´ll never excel in this one. Weak gals never last. How can you still stay on same irc channel with ppl you just betrayed. This ain´t a single player game ffs. Play team or go hide in the mountains and hunt wild animals or go fishing.
Unread 15 Oct 2006, 16:14   #13
Insane0ne
Atheist

Insane0ne is infamous around these partsInsane0ne is infamous around these parts

Wakey has a good point, what if your GC's alliance chose to do a gal raid on your galaxy and he would just block everyone's gal status... it's not probable but it could happen.
Insane0ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Oct 2006, 16:31   #14
rain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane0ne
Wakey has a good point, what if your GC's alliance chose to do a gal raid on your galaxy and he would just block everyone's gal status... it's not probable but it could happen.
So what´s more probable to happen. Get backstabbed by your GC or being `backstabbed´ as GC? If you´re active, full gal member and all and your gal status is suddenly blocked, then you know for sure you´re not wanted there, or your GC/ministers are a bunch of losers. Things will be clear then, opposing to whats happening now, when any new commer can leach gal status to his alliance. At least in first case you can do something about it, but in present situation your hands are tied.
Unread 15 Oct 2006, 18:59   #15
Insane0ne
Atheist

Insane0ne is infamous around these partsInsane0ne is infamous around these parts

Spying is part of the game, I don't see why people see it as "cheating"... Like I always say Sh*t Happens.

Last edited by Insane0ne; 15 Oct 2006 at 19:05.
Insane0ne is offline   Reply With Quote