User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Strategic Discussions

Unread 30 Sep 2006, 22:18   #1
Alessio
deserves a medal

Alessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet society
Shipstats for dummies

Yes we want shipstats
No we don't want to see numbers

*click*

No need to read this entire thread!
Relevant suggestions are added

updated

Last edited by Alessio; 4 Oct 2006 at 08:52.
Alessio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Oct 2006, 06:37   #2
Chika
Black Power MotherF*ckas!

Chika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to behold
Re: Shipstats for dummies

jesus I am more confused now. They EMP exert helped a bit though
Unread 1 Oct 2006, 10:02   #3
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

An interesting approach, alessio, however a couple of questions:

Regarding the biased section;
What does each star represent? and a dash? Number of targeted ships?
What was the 'bonus fleet' and its composition?

Regarding the other sections;
Do you make the distinction between units that have the initiative advantage, or is it just based purely on targeting? Or rather, is it would considering the initiative advantage in your comparison?
Ultimate Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Oct 2006, 10:17   #4
Alessio
deserves a medal

Alessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet society

I figured the zik CR fleet was a bonus fleet

Star is better defence, obviously
Three stars is possible natural defence,
one star means that you specificly have to start building defence for it if you want it
dash means don't bother

But I haven't calced zikonian DE EMP resistance enough coz it was late

-----
Well, most people I know focus on 1 shiptype,
and attack people that can be attacked
So initiative and which ships are popular should be the main focus
People mass produce shitships if they 'fit' in their fleet
I've always attacked every race I could with any shiptype
Zikonian have to focus even more on certain ships, which greatly effects their defence I suppose

Terran BS get's targeted by just about everyone,
but they should see oppertunities on all races

Feel free to correct me

I could add an explanation by every fleet, but I don't know if I cba

Last edited by Alessio; 1 Oct 2006 at 13:07.
Unread 1 Oct 2006, 11:53   #5
Spritfire

Spritfire is just really niceSpritfire is just really niceSpritfire is just really niceSpritfire is just really niceSpritfire is just really nice

To be serious, that was more hard to understand than the ship stats.
Unread 1 Oct 2006, 12:28   #6
Alessio
deserves a medal

Orly, I added alliance defence ships
Their plenty of combinations possible

And added a small amount of text

I might add some fleet or race evaluation later if I have time

Last edited by Alessio; 1 Oct 2006 at 20:55.
Unread 2 Oct 2006, 01:27   #7
Makhil

Makhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to behold

That's a very interesting approach. However I think for dummies you have to be precise.
If 'fast def' means defender shooting first... just write it. The more the people have to guess about the meanings the more confuse they'll be.
Unread 2 Oct 2006, 17:46   #8
Pilgrim
Bline

Pilgrim is infamous around these partsPilgrim is infamous around these partsPilgrim is infamous around these partsPilgrim is infamous around these partsPilgrim is infamous around these partsPilgrim is infamous around these partsPilgrim is infamous around these partsPilgrim is infamous around these partsPilgrim is infamous around these partsPilgrim is infamous around these partsPilgrim is infamous around these parts

call me a dummy but thats more complicated that the current stats page
Pilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Oct 2006, 18:02   #9
Alessio
deserves a medal

Stop being so ignorant, you clearly don't want to see the full picture

Sadly you do require some basic understanding of the game with this one
I apologise for that

Last edited by Alessio; 2 Oct 2006 at 18:47.
Unread 2 Oct 2006, 18:35   #10
Pilgrim
Bline

Pilgrim is infamous around these partsPilgrim is infamous around these partsPilgrim is infamous around these partsPilgrim is infamous around these partsPilgrim is infamous around these partsPilgrim is infamous around these partsPilgrim is infamous around these partsPilgrim is infamous around these partsPilgrim is infamous around these partsPilgrim is infamous around these partsPilgrim is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessio
Stop being so ignorant, you clearly don't want to see the full picture
If you want to see how 1 ship will fare against 1 other ship, then please read the PA manual
I've read it now what?

Its the stats i dont understand n00b
Unread 2 Oct 2006, 18:50   #11
Alessio
deserves a medal

Alright, you win, someone change the topic
Unread 2 Oct 2006, 18:58   #12
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I think your main problem is that you're using a lot of shorthand which makes sense to you but isn't clear.

What does

BS > CR, DE, FI mean?

BS is stronger than them all?
BS gets shot by them all?
BS shoots them all?

What?
Unread 2 Oct 2006, 19:07   #13
Pilgrim
Bline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomkat
I think your main problem is that you're using a lot of shorthand which makes sense to you but isn't clear.

What does

BS > CR, DE, FI mean?

BS is stronger than them all?
BS gets shot by them all?
BS shoots them all?

What?
well said
Unread 2 Oct 2006, 19:41   #14
Alessio
deserves a medal

It's the definition of the fleettype

BS fleet, which targets the following > CR, DE, FI
goes up against:
These ships who shoot first, and these ships who fire afterwards

It's also easy to spot which ships can be send by the alliance in this part
You should keep in mind which shiptypes are used in fleets of certain races

If you see that DE will have to face fast Xan FI and FR , and xan FI and FR are the Xan attackfleets
Then you will know you wont get past

Red means it will get hard to get trough in general
Red is the color of danger \o/

Below that in the stars part you can see how well the defence of races is against certain types of incs
But if you look at it the other way around
You can see in how well fleets are in general against certain races
Ofcourse this differs from planet to planet

The stars part is mainly a popularity contest of shiptypes, with attackfleets being the most popular builds
Xans for example are well capable of stopping Cruisers, but it will proberbly take a while before they will try
unless they just read this

I added this txt to the link

Last edited by Alessio; 2 Oct 2006 at 20:27.
Unread 2 Oct 2006, 20:38   #15
Alessio
deserves a medal

I hate all that txt, it was so simple and clean

When the stats are final I might change the whole thing into a written race/fleet guide,
but I'm not 100% sure

Last edited by Alessio; 2 Oct 2006 at 20:47.
Unread 3 Oct 2006, 07:57   #16
Pilgrim
Bline

Quote:
I hate all that txt, it was so simple and clean

When the stats are final I might change the whole thing into a written race/fleet guide,
but I'm not 100% sure

whats wrong with leaving it just the way it is and not inflicting your confusing interpretation of it on the rest of us
Unread 3 Oct 2006, 09:35   #17
Tietäjä
Good Son

Tietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better place

Quote:
If you see that DE will have to face fast Xan FI and FR , and xan FI and FR are the Xan attackfleets
While it's very possible and likely that despite the fact that xandathrii attack fleets are corvettes (and frigates) there will be people who use fighters as the bulk of their xandathrii fleets, it's still worth nothing that

xandathrii base attack fleets are corvette and frigate

why?

because no amount of fighters will help your corvette fleet to get through scorpion, for instance, and, spiders on the other hand stun corvettes without being fired by fighters (excess weight in fighters and less weight in corvettes makes you vulnerable to these, for instance).
"Oh, wretched race of a day, children of chance and misery, why do ye compel me to say to you what it were most expedient for you not to hear? What is best of all is for ever beyond your reach: not to be born, not to be, to be nothing. The second best for you, however, is soon to die". Silenus, tutor to Dionysos, speaking to King Midas.
Tietäjä is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Oct 2006, 11:05   #18
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilgrim
whats wrong with leaving it just the way it is and not inflicting your confusing interpretation of it on the rest of us
You are not forced to read it. Simply put, if you dont like it, dont take the information into consideration whilst making your race and/or fleet composition decisions. I much rather that people refained from flaming other's work on this forum - its fine on GD et al, but i'd much rather think that Strategy is a warm and fuzzy place.

Personally, i think its a good thing that people are going out of their way and contributing to others. Even if one person finds what Alessio put up useful, then i dont have any problems with it being discussed here.

Its a bit unfortunate, though, that the terminology used was a little ambiguous - there was a lot of potential for this page to be a very good resource, provided people could tell at a glance what it meant. Alas, that just means that now there is room for improvement .
Ultimate Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote