User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion > Hardware and Tech Support

Unread 8 Jun 2005, 16:16   #1
DrNick
Land Based Biped

DrNick is infamous around these partsDrNick is infamous around these partsDrNick is infamous around these parts
Hacker or paranoia?

Ok this is a weird one. Today I used disk managment in widows to have a look at my c: cos my computer has been doing strange things for a while. By strange I mean it's always coming up with strange errors even after formatting and reinstalling windows. Also it's turned itself on, on two occasions.

I have 24.7 gigs of unallocated partion on my c: which I don't know where it came from. I don't know if this is usual for windows after deleting the partitions and having a bare HD and reinstalling windows. I have heard hackers can set up hidden partitions on your HD so warning bells are ringing.

Anyways once I loaded up a program to resize the partition to the full hard drive volume norton antivirus pops open without me doing anything and on the status screen indicating that there are no problems with a virus. This sends second warning bells ringing, "who the **** did that?". I decide to act from the viewpoint that their is a hacker on my comp and he's probably recording key strokes. So I created a text file and began some one sided communication on my part informing him I'm gonna download partition magic and have a look at the partition and download easy recovery pro to have a look at any deleted data I can scrounge up.

So i'm downloading away and a get a message through edonkey that the partition magic im downloading has a virus so I have a chat to him (one sided again) to ask him about what he's doing with my comp. I look at my system tray and my norton antivirus has gone since I rebooted. I load norton up and it says that it's not working.

This is all very strange, the guy who messaged me had the ip 216.186.60.106 which I'm pretty sure is an emule proxy.

Does anyone know whats going on or what to do. I'm running through some ideas but a cohesive strategy to confirm or deny the presence of a hacker is needed. I don't have the money to hardware protect my system so any useful software would be appreciated.
Unread 8 Jun 2005, 16:19   #2
roadrunner_0
cynic

roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Hacker or paranoia?

disconnect from internet... format HDD

reinstall everything before re connecting to internet and make sure your anti virus is the first thing you update
Unread 8 Jun 2005, 16:24   #3
DrNick
Land Based Biped

DrNick is infamous around these partsDrNick is infamous around these partsDrNick is infamous around these parts

done all that about 6 times
Unread 8 Jun 2005, 16:32   #4
Dead_Meat
Old Man O Deh *****s

Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I think your computer has caught teh AI.

You dont need to keep beating a dog to get it to stop shitting on the carpet
Dead_Meat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Jun 2005, 16:46   #5
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

NEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead_Meat
I think your computer has caught teh AIDS
[20:27:47] <nodrog-aawy> **** i think my housemate just caught me masturbating
[11:25:32] <idimmu> you are a little piggy arent you
[13:17:00] <KaneED> i'm so closet i'm like narnia
Unread 8 Jun 2005, 16:51   #6
DrNick
Land Based Biped

If i had to diagnose it with anything it would be schitzophrenia
Unread 8 Jun 2005, 17:08   #7
roadrunner_0
cynic

roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

to be fair, if you have done all that and you are still convinced that its hacked, all you can do is put another HDD in and see what happens
Unread 8 Jun 2005, 18:26   #8
Madina
TashTastic

Madina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriend

Use a decent firewall.
Unread 9 Jun 2005, 12:14   #9
vampire_lestat
Mathamagician

vampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet society

unplug your computer from the internet, bury your modem in a hole at least 5 miles from your house and never come back online
Unread 21 Jun 2005, 19:20   #10
JoshuaTampaBay
aka PanaX

JoshuaTampaBay will become famous soon enoughJoshuaTampaBay will become famous soon enough

You have a virus (.) - Replace the drive.
Avast antivirus has proven much better then norton, and its free @ avast.com
Zone Alarm still offers a free firewall and for WiFi check out lucidlink.com for
their free version.
JoshuaTampaBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Jun 2005, 19:53   #11
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Er, there is absolutely no need to replace the drive. Why throw away a peice of hardware that is in perfect working order?
It should be enough to reformat it, assuming boot sector virus protection is on in the BIOS. If not, delete and recreate the partition table too - however, boot sector and filesystem level viruses are now very rare as they all operate within a very narrow range of methods, and as such are easily detected by modern software.

I realise this is all rather late since the original post was a while ago.
The disappearence of norton antivirus is very possibly down to an emailed trojan or some spy/adware you mistakenly downloaded from edonkey (although in both cases you would have needed to open the attachment / download). Many trojans and soy/adware program will attempt to disable spyware and virus protection.