User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 17 Feb 2005, 03:04   #1
DrNick
Land Based Biped

DrNick is infamous around these partsDrNick is infamous around these partsDrNick is infamous around these parts
Goals

I'm 23, I have a degree in biochemistry & genetics and an Msc in Bioinformatics. I have no job, no past employment. Mum and Dad are rich. I've been living on their generosity drinking and doing drugs since i finished. I do odd jobs moving servers and shit in sheffield cos I got a decent review off this siemens rep who does sheffield subcontracting work with them. They subconctract to practically all the major manks like tcs + hsbc n shit. So i move pcs about for a couple of quid a month and drink. That's about it really.

So thats the tread. I want a plan. I kinda want to work for myself and I want to do something reasonably demanding. I can't sit around forever. So my plans for the future are to get on some kind of graduate scheme for a company or start my own business. What are your plans for the future. Just how detailed are our expectations for the future? Should I be thinking about planning more or less? Just wtf are you gonna do with your life?

Post all posisble plans here, or whatever. What is your opinion of the future of your life?

christ this begins to sound like and english assignment, pls forgive.

-drnick
Unread 17 Feb 2005, 03:10   #2
DrNick
Land Based Biped

DrNick is infamous around these partsDrNick is infamous around these partsDrNick is infamous around these parts
Re: Goals

I want a big post count for this one so I'd like to tell a wee story...

Nodrog said my last post was made my an untalented and deserate man is not so many words.
So this post is to start a converation.
Ever word of which will be a little stab, a little pain, a little poison in Nodrogs cup of life.

Come over and post, It only takes a few drops to fill a thimble.
Unread 17 Feb 2005, 03:18   #3
Snurx
Dirte

Snurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

I don't get your last post?

Anyways, I have no real goals. To get better painting, do more for the "cause", do less drugs and get more out. But no hopes or goals like becoming rich, starting a company, or getting a degree. I want to be young forever.
"Freedom, morality, and the human dignity of the individual consists precisely in this; that he makes waffles not because he is forced to do so, but because he freely conceives it, wants it, and loves it."
Snurx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Feb 2005, 03:21   #4
Boogster
I dunno...

Boogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud of

I don't really have any goals. Actually, life after university is already beginning to gnaw away at the back of my mind. I mean, I'm not sure what I'm best at, I don't have any plans. What if I fail? Do I want lots of money or not? When will I meet someone I love? Will they love me?
It's all very unsettling.
Unread 17 Feb 2005, 06:12   #5
Aryn
Happy

Aryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond repute

right now my goal is to find my own place. i've got to move out at the end of april and i'm actually looking forward to having a place of my own. in the meantime another goal is to either find a better paying job or get a second job so i can pay off my bills.
long term.. i don't really think about that much since everything seems to change.
Unread 17 Feb 2005, 11:00   #6
JC
lolly roffle

JC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNick
I have a degree in biochemistry & genetics
Did you do that at Nottingham by any chance? Thats where i got mine from and i dont know any other university that does that combination. When i was looking around at Unis they seemed to do single biochem, single genetics or some kind of biological science that included alsorts.

Quote:
graduate scheme for a company
I've applied for loads of these over the past few months and had an interview for one the other week. They seem like excellent things if you can get on one. Most of the deadlines that i looked at were around Christmas time though so you might be struggling to find one to start in September and i think most of them only allow applicants that have graduated in the last 3 years (not sure if this will effect your chances or not).

My goals at the mo are to finish my masters, hopefully with a distinction, and then get a job preferably in some form of biotech company.
Unread 17 Feb 2005, 11:33   #7
IncubusGod
WANNASEEMYNEWCHAINSAW

IncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

I'm desperatly trying to get a job that would give me adequite experience on top of my Degree so I could one day actually get a nice job that somewhat relates to my chosen field of I.T.

I'm not doing very well.

I'm also worrying that I'm not boning nearly enough women, not nearly enough for my age I think. So that's something else to sort out*.

*worry and fret about but resign myself to failure
Unread 17 Feb 2005, 11:58   #8
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toccata & Fugue
Generally I have a vague intention to earn some more money to buy shiny material posessions,
Shiny material possessions are over-rated.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Feb 2005, 12:10   #9
Summanus
Banned

Summanus is just really niceSummanus is just really niceSummanus is just really niceSummanus is just really niceSummanus is just really nice

Labor Prime Minister or Chief Justice of the High Court.

Supreme would do, but it'll be one of those
Summanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Feb 2005, 12:13   #10
Summanus
Banned

Summanus is just really niceSummanus is just really niceSummanus is just really niceSummanus is just really niceSummanus is just really nice

Quote:
So you're intention is to be a figure generally despised by all then?
Not quite all. Labor PMs are only despised by roughly half the people, and I don't know who despises High Court Justices.
Unread 17 Feb 2005, 12:21   #11
Summanus
Banned

Quote:
Even so you could probably aim higher. I can't understand why anybody would want either of these jobs.
Secretary-General of the United Nations sounds good, but I'm not from some backwater country so I won't get it
Unread 17 Feb 2005, 12:24   #12
DrNick
Land Based Biped

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
Did you do that at Nottingham by any chance? Thats where i got mine from and i dont know any other university that does that combination. When i was looking around at Unis they seemed to do single biochem, single genetics or some kind of biological science that included alsorts.
I did it at sheffield, they're the only uni's that do it officially but if you go to oxford or cambridge and read natural sciences you can do pretty much the same thing.
Unread 17 Feb 2005, 12:25   #13
DrNick
Land Based Biped

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summanus
Secretary-General of the United Nations sounds good, but I'm not from some backwater country so I won't get it
The megalomaniacs are crawling out of the woodwork.
Unread 17 Feb 2005, 12:27   #14
JC
lolly roffle

JC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNick
I did it at sheffield, they're the only uni's that do it officially but if you go to oxford or cambridge and read natural sciences you can do pretty much the same thing.
Ah natural sciences, thats the phrase i was trying to think of. I applied to Oxford for that.
Unread 17 Feb 2005, 12:46   #15
xtrasyn
Lonely analytic

xtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud of

Self supportive on an industrial level
Unread 17 Feb 2005, 13:02   #16
Yahwe
I am.

Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
Ah natural sciences, thats the phrase i was trying to think of. I applied to Oxford for that.
no you didn't.
Unread 17 Feb 2005, 13:03   #17
Yahwe
I am.

Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

On Topic,

I should like to see your race improve itself but am otherwise quite content to watch with occaissional meddling.

on some levels a temple would be nice, but i'd only end up filling it with crap.
Unread 17 Feb 2005, 13:05   #18
xtrasyn
Lonely analytic

xtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud of

http://users.crocker.com/~lwm/lawyer.gif
Unread 17 Feb 2005, 13:30   #19
JC
lolly roffle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahwe
no you didn't.
Not sure if you are trying to say i didnt apply for Oxford or i didnt apply for that course.

It seems i was right with my first guess and it was called biological sciences at Oxford or maybe molecular and cellular biochemistry, i forget which and wasnt bothered about getting in anyway. It must have been Cambridge that did Natural Sciences which is why i didnt apply there.
Unread 17 Feb 2005, 13:33   #20
Yahwe
I am.

just exercising my 'anti-tab' biggotry.

natural science doesn't exist at ox you see. nothing personal to you at all, merely my loathing of any idea that we are similar to tab land (i better say that means cambridge incase anyone thinks i'm being exclusive, but why anyone who didn't understand would want to understand is beyond me)
Unread 17 Feb 2005, 14:22   #21
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend

Short term: get out of the Netherlands find a job abroad that appeals to me
Intermediate term: make my own game and enjoy managing it
Long term: be happy, and find my own little place and rythm

I'm not much into the materialistic stuff, and I keep my dreams and goals strickly separated (dreams can't come true, goals can).
If there is ONE thing that I learned the past year or so, is that it's MUCH more important to enjoy what you're doing than to chase after dreams that can never come true anyway (or are not realistic to come true, like winning the lotery).
I did my internship at Océ and I was the happiest person in the world during that time. I now work somewhere else, in the same branch, and I hate it. I have this weird passion to be absolutely perfectionistic about what I create. My current job doesn't allow me that and I can't unify with the chaotic way of work.
Still, the best advice I can give you: "small steps". You're not going to hit the jackpot anytime soon, be realistic.
Unread 17 Feb 2005, 19:51   #22
Dace
so f*cking zen

Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Short term Goal: **** model fit women

Medium term Goal: **** model fit women

Long term Goal: **** model fit women
Unread 17 Feb 2005, 20:13   #23
onetwothree
4 5 6

onetwothree is a name known to allonetwothree is a name known to allonetwothree is a name known to allonetwothree is a name known to allonetwothree is a name known to allonetwothree is a name known to all

Deal.
onetwothree is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Feb 2005, 20:30   #24
Vaio
Heh, Leeds !

Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dace
Short term Goal: **** model fit women

Medium term Goal: **** model fit women

Long term Goal: **** model fit women
Sorry Mr Dace but wouldn't a more realisist goal be:

**** anything vaguely female with a pulse ?

~Vaio~

Yes, I know he is dead !
Vaio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Feb 2005, 20:31   #25
Yahwe
I am.

it would be 'more realistic'

but it isn't 'more likely'

so let him dream
Unread 17 Feb 2005, 21:08   #26
Dace
so f*cking zen

Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

"She's the girl of my dreams
Image of perfection not far wrong
Only difficulty comes it seems
Sleeping the whole day long"

[/Emo]
Unread 17 Feb 2005, 21:13   #27
Dace
so f*cking zen

That's part of a much longer "poem" i wrote many, many years ago btw.
Unread 17 Feb 2005, 21:13   #28
Stew
Made of Twigs

Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dace
That's part of a much longer "poem" i wrote many, many years ago btw.
That explains why Google was not my friend.
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Feb 2005, 21:18   #29
Dace
so f*cking zen

DID YOU LIKE IT?
Unread 17 Feb 2005, 21:20   #30
Stew
Made of Twigs

Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I like the idea of sleeping the whole day long.

*shrug*
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote