User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 23 May 2003, 23:54   #1
DrNick
Land Based Biped

DrNick is infamous around these partsDrNick is infamous around these partsDrNick is infamous around these parts
Genetics

Is the expression of the difference between existence and nothingness.

In order for something to perpetuate itself through time it must battle entropy with a confined dynamic system capable of growth and reproduction.

Once something can replicate itself imperfectly then there is the pressure of selection. The imperfect replication leads onto points about diversity verus total population as a strength.

Anyways chances are a mutation is deleterious and will cause harm to the offspring and so evolution is driven by death, not survival. The fittest don't survive, the weakest die. Death drives selection, aslong as something lives it reproduces. Therefore death is the only factor involved, not fitness.

This leads onto the point that all you see is organisms that survived. The total possible life that could have existested is snubbed out by deathj an you don't see it. Life is not amazing, it is simply what has been successful in propagating itself. No generation is the same as the last. Species don't evolve and become extinct with nothing happening inbetween. Life is dynamic as it is a system of reactions that we recognise as life.
Unread 23 May 2003, 23:55   #2
Bloomers III
Cute and cuddly

Bloomers III has a spectacular aura aboutBloomers III has a spectacular aura aboutBloomers III has a spectacular aura about
that's interesting. did you copy it out of Nature?
Unread 23 May 2003, 23:56   #3
W
Gubbish

W is a jewel in the roughW is a jewel in the roughW is a jewel in the rough
Re: Genetics

Quote:
Originally posted by DrNick
Is the expression of the difference between existence and nothingness.

In order for something to perpetuate itself through time it must battle entropy with a confined dynamic system capable of growth and reproduction.

Once something can replicate itself imperfectly then there is the pressure of selection. The imperfect replication leads onto points about diversity verus total population as a strength.

Anyways chances are a mutation is deleterious and will cause harm to the offspring and so evolution is driven by death, not survival. The fittest don't survive, the weakest die. Death drives selection, aslong as something lives it reproduces. Therefore death is the only factor involved, not fitness.

This leads onto the point that all you see is organisms that survived. The total possible life that could have existested is snubbed out by deathj an you don't see it. Life is not amazing, it is simply what has been successful in propagating itself. No generation is the same as the last. Species don't evolve and become extinct with nothing happening inbetween. Life is dynamic as it is a system of reactions that we recognise as life.
WRONG
Unread 23 May 2003, 23:57   #4
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Genetics

Quote:
The fittest don't survive, the weakest die.
Er...
Unread 23 May 2003, 23:58   #5
DrNick
Land Based Biped

DrNick is infamous around these partsDrNick is infamous around these partsDrNick is infamous around these parts
I made it up cos i'm stoned, btw im a bioinformaticist. I have a degree in biochemistry and genetics and I have an Msc in bioinformatics, that's computing and genetics. I write proteome and genome analysis software.

W elaborate pls
Unread 24 May 2003, 00:01   #6
JC
lolly roffle

JC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Quote:
biochemistry and genetics
I'm doing that atm .
Unread 24 May 2003, 00:03   #7
queball
Ball

queball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so little
Quote:
I made it up cos i'm stoned, btw im a bioinformaticist. I have a degree in biochemistry and genetics and I have an Msc in bioinformatics, that's computing and genetics. I write proteome and genome analysis software.
Done anything spectacular? What tools do you like? Do you have particular ambitions or dreams for the resultant technology? How much do you get paid, where do you work, how's your job? Are you interested in strong AI?
queball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 May 2003, 00:04   #8
DrNick
Land Based Biped

I hate green peace because of their views on gm food and im a tree hugging hippy peice of ****
Unread 24 May 2003, 00:06   #9
DrNick
Land Based Biped

Quote:
Originally posted by queball
Done anything spectacular? What tools do you like? Do you have particular ambitions or dreams for the resultant technology? How much do you get paid, where do you work, how's your job? Are you interested in strong AI?
I'm working on a good web based pcr primer design software cos there isn't one out there but my real goal is ASAD. Tis my name for a kinda of intergrated genetic and protein data tools suite. I'd like to fully develope the text based version of it and add a gfx interface.
Unread 24 May 2003, 00:22   #10
DrNick
Land Based Biped

ps. The value of anything is inherent in it's ability to last
Unread 24 May 2003, 00:55   #11
W
Gubbish

There's no such thing as inherent value. Value is something sentient beings place on objects they perceive or imagine.
Unread 24 May 2003, 01:01   #12
DrNick
Land Based Biped

but it is value
Unread 24 May 2003, 01:02   #13
W
Gubbish

Quote:
but it is value
I don't value anything for it's ability to last (perhaps with the exception of my own existance).
Unread 24 May 2003, 01:06   #14
DrNick
Land Based Biped

it values you
Unread 24 May 2003, 01:09   #15
sayonara
Shai Halud

sayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nice
Quote:
Originally posted by W
I don't value anything for it's ability to last (perhaps with the exception of my own existance).
Not even those fine Sony products?
sayonara is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 May 2003, 01:14   #16
Pyr0 MK III
Look! He's Dancing!

Pyr0 MK III is an unknown quantity at this point
Genestics
[22:18] <nodrog> Cock: 8" (20cm) uncut
[22:18] <nodrog> Balls: Large hefty balls, stretched max 6" (15.5cm)
[22:18] <nodrog> Arse: Can take two fists, or one fist almost to the elbow, but slow warming up.
Pyr0 MK III is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 May 2003, 01:15   #17
DrNick
Land Based Biped

Quote:
Originally posted by Pyr0 MK III
Genestics
genius!

but what does it mean?