User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion > Hardware and Tech Support
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 6 Mar 2003, 14:28   #1
Cool Beans

My Pc Computer

HELLO

we are getting a new computer. it is this :

AMD 2400 XP (Thoroughbred)
Coolermaster heatsink/fan the silent one with the cooling pipes
512mb pc2700 ram
GeForce4 128mb ram TI4200
120gb Maxtor HDD 8mb cache
Abit NF7-S mother board
the case has a 300W PSU

we are a little worried about the mother board and the psu. would the Asus A7V8X be a better option? also is it all rubbish and I would be better off getting a game cube?

THANK YOU
Unread 6 Mar 2003, 14:35   #2
Kumnaa
Unreregistered User

Kumnaa is infamous around these parts
Nforce2 is the way forward - Asus A7N8X is the one im looking at for my next upgrade!

Your graphics card is already old
Unread 6 Mar 2003, 15:07   #3
sh@dow

sh@dow is an unknown quantity at this point
pft I already have a similar computer and I upgraded ages ago! anyway pc2700 isnt good with 2400xp unless you plan on overclocking alot, since the default fsb is 133mhz. a7nx8 is what I have its a good motherboard, not 1 problem since I set the comp up which is a 1st. 300 PSU isnt recommended also you cant really tell from the total watts, I'd still rather use 350

- Q
sh@dow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Mar 2003, 15:32   #4
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by sh@dow
pc2700 isnt good with 2400xp unless you plan on overclocking alot, since the default fsb is 133mhz.
Remember it's a DDR fsb so that's 266Mhz (which, agreed, is still out of sync with the ram speed). I run my PC2700 ram at PC2100 because it actually works out faster than that - plus at that speed it is capable of running at what my Asus board calls 'turbo' (ie. all the latency and timings shoved down as far as they will go). Trying to do that with it at PC2700 results in crashes every few minutes.

Unread 6 Mar 2003, 16:37   #5
Luckeh!!!!
-=Murderous Plush Toy=-

Luckeh!!!! will become famous soon enoughLuckeh!!!! will become famous soon enough
Try and aim for at least a Radeon 9500 Pro.
If you only even intend on playing games, then you would probably be better off with a GC.

BTW, Sh@dow isn't wrong in saying the default FSB is 133Mhz, because it is, and you saying that its a "DDR FSB so that gives 266Mhz" cos that is correct aswell.

Last edited by Luckeh!!!!; 6 Mar 2003 at 17:11.
Luckeh!!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Mar 2003, 01:14   #6
Deathjam
Banned

Deathjam is an unknown quantity at this point
IMPORTANT WARNING!!!!

NEVER BUY A GAMECUBE WHEN UR DRUNK!!!!

i did and that fact that i didn't have a tv at the time didn't seem to bother me

:/
Deathjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Mar 2003, 01:19   #7
Luckeh!!!!
-=Murderous Plush Toy=-

Luckeh!!!! will become famous soon enoughLuckeh!!!! will become famous soon enough
If i was drunk I doubt i'd be ableto pay for a GC, i'd probably force the cashier to scan my train pass or something
Luckeh!!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Mar 2003, 14:20   #8
Miserableman
Not a Cow

Miserableman is an unknown quantity at this point
The NF7-S is at least as good as the A7N8S (and cheaper), and better than the A7V8X. Make sure you get a better PSU, that one is way underpowered and will be the achilles heel of your system. I'd recommend spending £30+ on at least 400W.

And make sure you don't go out and buy a seperate soundcard, the onboard one rocks \o/
Unread 7 Mar 2003, 14:29   #9
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
As long as the PSU that's in there is of decent quality there shouldn't be a problem.

I'm running an old TBird 1333 with 2 hdds and a cd-writer on a 200w PSU (the one that comes with the SN41G2 heh) and have yet to have, or come close to having a problem.
pablissimo is offline   Reply With Quote