User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 24 May 2006, 23:58   #1
pig
1up on you

pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
I have a friend (shock horror) who cuts herself

Now I was wondering if GD can offer me some advice.

Firstly she doesnt know I know, but my girlfriend is pretty worried about her as she showed off her new wounds in the ladies, at a nightclub on monday night.

Now I would like to know a few things.

Firstly If I approach her about it, would it make her do it more?

Secondly what makes people cut themselves?

Finally should I tell her family/doctor/sister etc?

Shes quite a good friend id say, but she has her issues. Most of them are to do with relationships. But my gf whos friends with her too isnt too sure what we should do, if anything.
Unread 25 May 2006, 00:02   #2
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: I have a friend (shock horror) who cuts herself

Cut her throat and tell her it's the logical conclusion.
Unread 25 May 2006, 00:04   #3
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

My ex-girlfriend used to cut herself and was very shy and insecure about it all.

Most people didn't know she did it - it showed up more when she had a suntan.

My ex-housemate also used to cut herself and was also shy and didn't like to talk about it with most people.

I remember a particularly enjoyable evening when she came back pissed as a fart, cut herself and it bled everywhere. Calling an ambulance while she's screaming at the foot of the stairs and bleeding everywhere is

Anyway - based on my somewhat limited experience I wouldn't talk to her about it. It isn't your business and she won't appreciate it.

Noone "knows" why people cut themselves. It's supposedly a way of getting stress of out your system (by diverting the pain, so to speak). It can also be a cry for help, or some form of attention seeking. Some people supposedly just like the adrenaline rush you get with the pain of it.

Anyway - this is often caused by more deep-rooted problems (depression or more severe mental disorders). In which case it would be a good idea to go to a doctor.

But she has to accept that it isn't a good thing first. And "showing it off in the ladies" doesn't sound like she knows that. It sounds like she's a ****ing idiot to me.

But again - it isn't your concern or business, so don't take a leading hand in it. It'll lead to animosity and bad feeling. And you won't be helping anything.
Unread 25 May 2006, 00:04   #4
Blastoderm
________

Blastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Is she arab?
finding strength to call and ask her
Roller coaster favorite ride,
let me kiss you one last time.
Blastoderm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 May 2006, 00:04   #5
Vaio
Heh, Leeds !

Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

You could hide her knife.

Yes, I know he is dead !
Vaio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 May 2006, 00:05   #6
pig
1up on you

pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

nah indian, my gf was horrified when she saw it (whos an A rab)
Unread 25 May 2006, 00:06   #7
pig
1up on you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaio
You could hide her knife.
Thing which makes me feel bad is that I left a knife in her room on saturday night when I was cutting some lime up to go with the drinks...maybe she used that knife ;/
Unread 25 May 2006, 00:07   #8
Blastoderm
________

Blastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig
nah indian, my gf was horrified when she saw it (whos an A rab)
She probably has issues at home. That's the only logical explanation to it I guess.
finding strength to call and ask her
Roller coaster favorite ride,
let me kiss you one last time.
Blastoderm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 May 2006, 00:10   #9
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Dont ask her about the cutting, but see what you can do for her.

PS, if she wants to cut, let her, im not sure i see the point in stopping her. (I read an article recently that suggested stopping people committing suicide or self harming is immoral, which swayed me somewhat)

This isnt to say dont care with her, but go to the root of the problem, not all the external guff

Believe in me, cause i don't believe in anything
And i wanna be someone, to believe, to believe in
Deffeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 May 2006, 00:10   #10
Dace
so f*cking zen

Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

don't bother doing/saying anything (is my honest advice)
Unread 25 May 2006, 00:11   #11
JammyJim
Godfather

JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

foreigners eh?

gotta love em
It's not personal, it's just business.
JammyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 May 2006, 00:13   #12
pig
1up on you

well thanks guys i wont do anything

can you cut this thread up mods and delete it ;o
Unread 25 May 2006, 00:13   #13
Dace
so f*cking zen

Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Actually, on a serious note, YOU KNOW THE NAME AND LOCATION OF AN EMOTIONALLY INSECURE GIRL?!

Sharing's caring.

Remember that Pig ... SHARING IS CARING!
Unread 25 May 2006, 00:15   #14
pig
1up on you

shes in the room next door to me

right now

watching tv
Unread 25 May 2006, 00:20   #15
vampy
bound & gagged

vampy has much to be proud ofvampy has much to be proud ofvampy has much to be proud ofvampy has much to be proud ofvampy has much to be proud ofvampy has much to be proud ofvampy has much to be proud ofvampy has much to be proud ofvampy has much to be proud ofvampy has much to be proud of

I'd personally talk to her about it. but not in a judgemental way. the fact that she shows the cuts off to other people suggests its more of a cry for help than a simple coping mechanism.

but then i do like to try and help people. (or maybe interfere? i dont know)

as has been said above, its normally a symptom of a larger problem, and as such isn't an issue in itself (provided she is using clean blades and not going too deep etc). Getting her to seek help about the causes of her behaviour may eventually help stop the behaviour.

there is a lot of information available online about self harm if you wish to educate yourself on it further

e.v.o.l.v.e
vampy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 May 2006, 00:22   #16
Gary
xVx Peon

Gary is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig
Well she didn't tell you for a reason (whatever that is), and if she's liable to do that kind of thing, is it wise to provoke her anger, (possible) sense of shame or embarassment (that you know)?
Gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 May 2006, 00:26   #17
PSH
Registered Abuser

PSH is a pillar of this Internet societyPSH is a pillar of this Internet societyPSH is a pillar of this Internet societyPSH is a pillar of this Internet societyPSH is a pillar of this Internet societyPSH is a pillar of this Internet societyPSH is a pillar of this Internet societyPSH is a pillar of this Internet societyPSH is a pillar of this Internet societyPSH is a pillar of this Internet societyPSH is a pillar of this Internet society

Tell her to cut it out, it's not big and it's not cleaver!
Unread 25 May 2006, 00:29   #18
pig
1up on you

My feeling is though that if I do anything it could just make it worse. Those who truly care about her ie her best friend and parents must know about as she wears sleveless tops. With this in mind I feel I should stay out of it. I could make her feel worse. Not only that theres two weeks left of term, im not too sure I want to be the person who has to be responsible for making sure she sorts herself out. I mean I have problems and stuff, and better friends who have issues as well, does it make me a bad person? Probably, infact yes.

Anyway ill have a chat with my girlfriend tomoz and we can see...
Unread 25 May 2006, 00:34   #19
Gary
xVx Peon

Gary is an unknown quantity at this point

If her parents cant fail to put two and two together, then its not your problem or your place to do anything about it, im afraid. Maybe you could make sure her parents know, but be prepared for her anger and the fact you may no longer be friends afterwards
Gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 May 2006, 00:39   #20
acropolis
Vermin Supreme

acropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better place

Ideally every problem can be answered* by a wiki reference.

*Incorrectly
acropolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 May 2006, 01:07   #21
JammyJim
Godfather

JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampy
I'd personally talk to her about it. but not in a judgemental way. the fact that she shows the cuts off to other people suggests its more of a cry for help than a simple coping mechanism.

but then i do like to try and help people. (or maybe interfere? i dont know)

as has been said above, its normally a symptom of a larger problem, and as such isn't an issue in itself (provided she is using clean blades and not going too deep etc). Getting her to seek help about the causes of her behaviour may eventually help stop the behaviour.

there is a lot of information available online about self harm if you wish to educate yourself on it further

maybe she could hang herself from a hook instead. STOP TRYING TO RECRUIT YO
It's not personal, it's just business.
JammyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 May 2006, 02:05   #22
KaneED
Motherfracker

KaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know whether you should talk to her about it, but maybe consider where it might lead if no one offers her any help or a way to get or an avenue for expressing her feelings.

Last edited by KaneED; 25 May 2006 at 02:35.
KaneED is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 May 2006, 05:55   #23
Chunderbunny

Chunderbunny has a reputation beyond reputeChunderbunny has a reputation beyond reputeChunderbunny has a reputation beyond reputeChunderbunny has a reputation beyond reputeChunderbunny has a reputation beyond reputeChunderbunny has a reputation beyond reputeChunderbunny has a reputation beyond reputeChunderbunny has a reputation beyond reputeChunderbunny has a reputation beyond reputeChunderbunny has a reputation beyond reputeChunderbunny has a reputation beyond repute

I reccomend suggesting a design if shes going about showing it to folk...
Chunderbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 May 2006, 07:33   #24
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toccata & Fugue
next time you wanna talk to someone about why its bad to recklessly damage their body go and get some sort of scan on your liver and bring that along.
T&F said what I wanted to say.

Most of us self-harm in some fashion, it's just this is a different approach from the 'norm'.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 May 2006, 07:40   #25
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
I wouldn't worry too much about it. Think of it like a tattoo or a piercing, its just a thing. Its not particularly attractive but next time you wanna talk to someone about why its bad to recklessly damage their body go and get some sort of scan on your liver and bring that along.
Are you implying she's having fun when she cuts herself?

I'm genuinely curious here, I don't think I know anyone who does cut themselves so I'm unaware of how they think about it.
Unread 25 May 2006, 07:48   #26
Yahwe
I am.

Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante Hicks
T&F said what I wanted to say.

Most of us self-harm in some fashion, it's just this is a different approach from the 'norm'.
Just because a secondary effect of an activity primarily done for pleasure might be harming to the self, it does not necessarily follow that it is conceptually identical to an activity who's primary purpose is self harm which may or may not be 'pleasurable'

No matter how noble your motive, I would appreciate it if you didn't pervert logic.
Unread 25 May 2006, 07:52   #27
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyBGood
Are you implying she's having fun when she cuts herself?
Yes. The people I know who harm themselves do not do it so they are harmed, they do it for the relief/pleasure/sensation they gain from the sensation of pain. Obviously I cannot speak for every person who has harmed themselves in this fashion but I suspect that goes for a lot of people.

If people genuinely wanted to do (permanent) damage to themselves why not just chop off their fingers? Why do it in an area which heals reasonably well, where they can do it again and again?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahwe
it does not necessarily follow that it is conceptually identical to an activity
I never said it was conceptually identical.
Unread 25 May 2006, 08:00   #28
Yahwe
I am.

Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
I never said it was conceptually identical.
then what was the point of your statement?
Unread 25 May 2006, 08:02   #29
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
then what was the point of your statement?
To say they were conceptually similar.
Unread 25 May 2006, 08:10   #30
Yahwe
I am.

Quote:
To say they were conceptually similar.
like an elephant and a grapefruit.
Unread 25 May 2006, 08:24   #31
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
like an elephant and a grapefruit.
One's a refreshing snack on a summer afternoon outside on the lawn, and the other's a grapefruit?
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 May 2006, 09:26   #32
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Like T&F and Dante said, as long as it's just cutting the surface of the skin, it really isn't doing her any harm (as long as she's using clean knives).

Just make sure she doesn't do it when completely pissed, like my housemate .

I'm sure there's oogles of sites out there more qualified to answer your question than us anyway pig. If you really want to help, maybe get some information from one of them, print it off and give it to her with an "just thought you might want to read this" comment.
Unread 25 May 2006, 09:28   #33
JonnyBGood
Banned

Quote:
Yes. The people I know who harm themselves do not do it so they are harmed, they do it for the relief/pleasure/sensation they gain from the sensation of pain. Obviously I cannot speak for every person who has harmed themselves in this fashion but I suspect that goes for a lot of people.

If people genuinely wanted to do (permanent) damage to themselves why not just chop off their fingers? Why do it in an area which heals reasonably well, where they can do it again and again?
I thought it was a cry for help or whatever. I don't really understand in any sense how people derive pleasure from inflicting pain on themselves.
Unread 25 May 2006, 10:15   #34
jerome

jerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so little

JBG: depends on the person itself and his/her scenario etc

self-harm is usually i find, to alleviate some guilt/responsibility and so forth - make yourself feel in control, similar to the psychological natures of bulimia. talking to her or not depends on the person itself and what you may think caused it, if it seems extremely serious and she is almost hopeless then i'd probably intervene and offer a shoulder to cry on and/or someone to always let feelings out to. however, if it's something she needs to do to keep in control of certain things, then it's most likely that it won't ever venture into real harm and it's something more deep-rooted (ie family forcing her into x and y, etc) but i'm not really too sure how to deal with that, as it branches off into a whole new level of involvement.
jerome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 May 2006, 10:17   #35
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
I don't really understand in any sense how people derive pleasure from inflicting pain on themselves.
Do you understand any better people who want others to inflict pain on them?
Unread 25 May 2006, 10:46   #36
JonnyBGood
Banned

Quote:
Do you understand any better people who want others to inflict pain on them?
Not really. I mean I understand it in the abstract sense but if someone told me they were into it I'd think they were taking the piss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerome
however, if it's something she needs to do to keep in control of certain things
How does cutting yourself keep you in control of things?
Unread 25 May 2006, 10:48   #37
Kurashima
Has Soup On His Head

Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Not really. I mean I understand it in the abstract sense but if someone told me they were into it I'd think they were taking the piss.
Im guessing from this the Irish S&M scene doesnt really come to your town.
In his zeal to discover the Snark
Kurashima is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 May 2006, 10:55   #38
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
How does cutting yourself keep you in control of things?
Because you're the one doing it. I suppose it's kind of like the popular motion of biting your first when thinking of something really terrible / embarrassing. There's lots of pain in this world we can't control, if we hurt ourselves then we focus away from it. Of course this is speculation, I don't cut myself, but I have certainly hurt myself (e.g. punching a wall) to "distract" myself from another type of pain.
Quote:
Sometimes I forget you're a farmer.
Unread 25 May 2006, 10:56   #39
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Exclamation Re: I have a friend (shock horror) who cuts herself

She'll grow out of it.
Marilyn Manson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 May 2006, 11:01   #40
JonnyBGood
Banned

Quote:
Because you're the one doing it. I suppose it's kind of like the popular motion of biting your first when thinking of something really terrible / embarrassing. There's lots of pain in this world we can't control, if we hurt ourselves then we focus away from it. Of course this is speculation, I don't cut myself, but I have certainly hurt myself (e.g. punching a wall) to "distract" myself from another type of pain.
Oh okay, so it's like frustration? I don't really do those things anymore since I perfected total control of my mind though

Quote:
Sometimes I forget you're a farmer.
Yeah but we decriminalised underage sex recently so
Unread 25 May 2006, 11:24   #41
JonnyBGood
Banned

Quote:
Through being drunk all the time?
Someone has to make the decision to get drunk constantly!
Unread 25 May 2006, 11:53   #42
Kaisto
Don't ask, I don't know

Kaisto is an unknown quantity at this point

Self harmers rarely kill themselves. The cutting is more like a ritual to relieve stress/tension etc., but it can also double as a way of self punishment. It is usually a sign of deep emotional distress and tends to be linked with depression, and sometimes even schizophrenia.

I would really advise against trying to confront her about it, she needs therapy and/or medication. Unless you love this person dearly, you really do not want to get emotionally involved.
Plenty of people here have said "leave it be", that is not a very humane thing to do either; I would tell her sister. If it has been going on for a long time, then her family might know, but then again, they might not...
Kaisto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 May 2006, 13:06   #43
Ste
Bored

Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

an ex of mine cut herself...

oh and the 17 yr old i'm meetingon saturday used to cut herself in the past as well.

It's actually worryingly common.

But no, don't bring it up with her.

yeh so Plastic Brilliance is now known as FOXYSTOAT - Come on by and check it out!
Ste is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 May 2006, 13:55   #44
god113
Ex-Player

god113 has a spectacular aura aboutgod113 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig
Now I was wondering if GD can offer me some advice.

Firstly she doesnt know I know, but my girlfriend is pretty worried about her as she showed off her new wounds in the ladies, at a nightclub on monday night.

Now I would like to know a few things.

Secondly what makes people cut themselves?

Finally should I tell her family/doctor/sister etc?

Shes quite a good friend id say, but she has her issues. Most of them are to do with relationships. But my gf whos friends with her too isnt too sure what we should do, if anything.
I guess maybe it depends a bit on how close a friend they are exactly, and what their other close friends would be like at talking to them about it, maybe they would be in a much better position to help her etc. But I think the fact that she shows off her wounds means she's either proud of it, or is a way of crying out for help? So confronting her about it might mean she starts talking to you about it (if she does like the attention) and showing you her 'new wounds'. I guess if I was in your situation I might tell one of her closest friends that i'm really worried about her, and say what you heard, then maybe they will have a better idea of why she does it and what to do.

And as people have said above me no-one really knows totally why people do it, although the amount of people who do it is increasing (fairly significiently I believe), and I don't think anyone really knows why. I don't really think there's one correct answer eg (addiction to chemicals produced/relief of stress/attention seeking/crying out for help).

But whatever the reason I think as TomKat said the first step is for her to realise that it's not good, and she seems like she's quite a way off that.
Unread 25 May 2006, 14:18   #45
Kaisto
Don't ask, I don't know

Kaisto is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by god113
And as people have said above me no-one really knows totally why people do it, although the amount of people who do it is increasing (fairly significiently I believe), and I don't think anyone really knows why. I don't really think there's one correct answer eg (addiction to chemicals produced/relief of stress/attention seeking/crying out for help).

But whatever the reason I think as TomKat said the first step is for her to realise that it's not good, and she seems like she's quite a way off that.
The reasons why people do it vary, but there are distinct trends. As I pointed out before; severe emotional trauma (such as having been abused/raped), prolonged major depression, or bipolar disorder (manic depression) are common among self harmers. The purpose of the self harm tends to be directed against obtaining some form of alleviation from one or several of those mentioned above. Exactly what the person gets out of it is not paramount; the whole ritual is a symptom of something underlying and probably quite serious.

As pig said, he does have problems on his own, and by confronting her he risks being "drawn" into her problems. She could be alienated by him approaching her, but he also risks having her show up at his doorstep the next time she cuts herself
Kaisto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 May 2006, 14:31   #46
Boogster
I dunno...

Boogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud of

I'd perhaps worry a little about the cause. I don't think it likely that most people cut themselves primarily for the 'pleasure' of it, although it might eventually become addictive.
To be honest, I wouldn't confront her unless it was someone I knew really well.
Unread 25 May 2006, 15:59   #47
Alki
Drink is Good

Alki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better place

chicks dig scars dude
Unread 25 May 2006, 16:46   #48
vampy
bound & gagged

vampy has much to be proud ofvampy has much to be proud ofvampy has much to be proud ofvampy has much to be proud ofvampy has much to be proud ofvampy has much to be proud ofvampy has much to be proud ofvampy has much to be proud ofvampy has much to be proud ofvampy has much to be proud of

My reason for saying you should talk to her about it is that she's likely to be embarrassed about the scars when she gets older. As someone said above, she is likely to grow out of it....self-harm is generally a teenage/early 20's 'passtime' (although some people do still do it in adulthood, most famously brought to media attention by princess Di).

One of the most frequent questions I get asked about body modification is how to remove self-harm scars, or whether they can be covered with a tattoo, or disguised by a 'proper' scarification piece. The problem is, at the time, cutting provides an instant relief to current emotional pain, and as such, people doing it are very unlikely to be thinking of the future implications of their actions.....but when it gets to the future, many people wish they no longer had the scars, however helpful the act of cutting itself was to them at the time.

You'll probably have a hard time convincing her that it's not a positive behaviour, as people who cut often have very skewed views about it (which is hardly surprising, given that it is often a symptom of depression, which completely ****s up your perspective). A good example of this is this column http://www.bmezine.com/news/guest/20031030-cora.html (WARNING: link contains images some people might find disturbing) written by a friend of mine. At the time he wrote it, he was under the illusion that he was a transsexual, and was taking oestrogen. Since realising that trying to change his gender wasn't what he really wanted, he has said this: "My views on the topic have inverted themselves, and have given way to a massive confirmation of a very old theory of mine, namely that estrogen makes you batshit ****ing nuts." In my opinion most of the opinions expressed in the column are complete bollocks, but due to his mental state at the time, he really believed everything he said.

Rather than trying to stop her, I really think you should try and talk to her about it and get her to seek help for the underlying problem...or if you don't feel close enough to her yourself, get one of her closer friends to do it. As I said before, the fact that she shows off the scars makes me truly think that she is doing it at least in part as a cry for help. Most self-harmers who do it purely as a release/control mechanism are very secretive about it. DON'T tell her family though, they are likely to be very worried and see the behaviour itself as the problem, rather than a symptom of something more deeply rooted.

e.v.o.l.v.e
Unread 25 May 2006, 17:54   #49
vampy
bound & gagged

I agree with everything you said T&F... my primary reason for saying in this case I would say something is that she SHOWED people the cuts. That is almost certainly a cry for help, and I'm one of those people who finds it very hard to just stand back and let people get on with self-destructive behaviour.

There are three people out there walking around now who would be dead if it wasn't for me (suicide attempts where i called 999 even when i was told not to). And all of them have since thanked me for it. This is what makes me think intervening in some situations is ok.

e.v.o.l.v.e
Unread 25 May 2006, 18:35   #50
JonnyBGood
Banned

Quote:
I have problems with the film Secretary for stylistic reasons but the point that the woman in that who cuts herself is best helped by a being spanked or whatever is a good point. It might not be "healthy" but then what is?
A good diet and lots of exercise?