User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 21 Feb 2006, 21:49   #1
Baron Morte
Blatantly overcooked

Baron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud of
The old new car old car routine

As I was considering buying a car, I checked local auto dealers and also in the internet, which lead me to what I suspect to be a quite old dillema.
I have about 20.000 brazilian moneys to spend on that. I either can get a brand new crap car or a 5 yr old, 90.000km fantastique car.

I presume many of you have recently faced the same problem, so I beg you to tell me as much information as you have towards how much do cars last, and the kind of money involved in maintaining a crap car ( like a 70HP 1.0) and a good car (125HP 1.8).

Many thanks goes to all of you

Please specify brands and models!
Unread 21 Feb 2006, 22:03   #2
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

NEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriend
Re: The old new car old car routine

depends what you are going to use it for
[20:27:47] <nodrog-aawy> **** i think my housemate just caught me masturbating
[11:25:32] <idimmu> you are a little piggy arent you
[13:17:00] <KaneED> i'm so closet i'm like narnia
Unread 21 Feb 2006, 22:04   #3
JammyJim
Godfather

JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Make and Model of used car.
make and model of new car

features of both listed below

then we can help you yo
It's not personal, it's just business.
JammyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Feb 2006, 22:12   #4
Demon Dave
Insanity Prawn Boy!

Demon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriend

Get a Volkswagen, they last for years. My Polo's 11/12 years old and hasn't broken down on me yet (touch wood) (I've had it for over a year).
We shall remember them.
Demon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Feb 2006, 22:28   #5
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I'd say it depends more on your knowledge of cars and their workings than anything else.

That 5 year old thing is likely to need more work than the new one. If you can happily deal with small niggling faults with it, then I'd go for that.

If it was me I'd have to go for a new car, as I really don't know that much about cars (compared especially to my dad, who built one when he was my age ). But if you know enough to keep an older one in check, go for that.
Unread 21 Feb 2006, 22:31   #6
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Not so much make/model advice as general advice. All my examples are for the UK, but it's roughly similar where-ever I guess.

Stay away from anything over 50k miles (that's 80,000 kilometers) as by that stage they're well out of warrenty and free service periods, so the chances are various tightarse owners have not fixed problems or had the yearly service done. This tends to lead to a car with bits that fall off. The exception is if you can find one with a complete service history - then it's worth a glance, but read around on common faults and problems with that model version. It's well worth going to www.parkers.co.uk or equivilant, finding the model you're looking at and stumping up £2.50 or whatever it is to get their handy dandy PDF model guide which tells you all the common faults and the signs to look for to tell if they're there or not. Sites such as Parkers can also be a handy guide to see what sort of cars are available in your price range.

Basicly, find a make and model (or maybe a couple) that looks like it's right for you. Go around and find several examples to physically look at while "pretending" to be interested in buying - this lets you see the range of what you can expect to get (ie. added spec options etc) for what money, and what sort of condition you can expect to find the vehicle in. Any rust is a bad sign as it indicates previous owners haven't really cared for the car. A careful owner would deal with chips and scratches before rust had a chance to set in.
For god's sake don't buy the first thing you see, always get a good idea of what's out there. Private second hand sales might move fast, but if you miss something another will be along shortly. Dealer sales tend to hang around longer anyway, so you can take your time.

And always be a cynic. If it looks too good to be true, 99% of the time that's because it is and you've just bought a cut and shut.
Unread 21 Feb 2006, 23:11   #7
Vaio
Heh, Leeds !

Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Buy a Volkswagen, I believe they are made locally and therefore spares will be cheaper and the there should be lots of people to maintain them properly.

Get the ethanol one as well.

Although I could be thinking of Mexico.......

Yes, I know he is dead !
Vaio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Feb 2006, 23:34   #8
JammyJim
Godfather

JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
you have towards how much do cars last, and the kind of money involved in maintaining a crap car ( like a 70HP 1.0) and a good car (125HP 1.8).
I had a 50hp 1.0litre Polo. I thrashed the engine and gave it hell. On average per year it would cost several hundred pounds once the warrenty had run out to replace things like pads/tyres/new tax/suspension problem etc etc.

I could run it for less than 20 quid a week if i wasnt travelling huge distances. It would do around 110miles on windy roads using about 1/4 of a tank (and it was a small tank). It could travel nearly 200 on the same amount on motorways.

My current car is considerably more powerful and has a much much larger engine (2.5litre 218hp) It costs 50-55 quid to fill it up and thats at least once a week. Parts are about the same cost but labour is considerably more expensive. If things go wrong (and theres more things to go wrong on higher spec and bigger cars) it will become expensive once the warrenty is out. Infact im dreading the warrenty running out.

More powerful car will also presumably have larger wheels on it. That means more expensive tyres and brake pads.

Its pretty simple tbh.

If you do a great deal of mileage get the younger car as its parts (not just the engine) will have had less wear and tear.

If you do bugger all in the way of miles then get the higher spec car and enjoy it.

However if the newer car is a Fiat Panda and the older car is a VW golf then youd be pretty stupid not to choose the VW.
Unread 21 Feb 2006, 23:38   #9
Yahwe
I am.

Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

vvvvvrrrrrrrrrrroooooooooooooooooooooooooooooommmmm!!!!
Unread 21 Feb 2006, 23:39   #10
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Oh yes I forgot to mention:
For the love of god, never buy a fiat ever.
Unread 21 Feb 2006, 23:41   #11
JammyJim
Godfather

20k brazllian is around 9.5k USD which is around 6k? sterling ish...

for that you could get something decent dude.
Unread 22 Feb 2006, 12:32   #12
Baron Morte
Blatantly overcooked

Baron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by JammyJim
20k brazllian is around 9.5k USD which is around 6k? sterling ish...

for that you could get something decent dude.
Thanks a lot guys for the good info.
Here Are the choices im interested, because you people have advised me to take my time to buy it, so I im giving a extra 2 weeks time to think about it:
Renault Xsara Exclusive 01/01: 88.000 KM
Pluses: I think it looks good, quiet and powerful engine, good sound system, leather seats, etc
Cons: Old, above than average fuel consumption, expensive parts and labour.
Fiat Palio 03/04: 28.000km 1.0 69HP
Pluses: New, low fuel consuption, cheap maintnance
Cons: No A/C, no Hidraulic steering, fabric seats, kind of a minger,
GM Vectra 99/00 78.000 Km 2.2 130HP
Pluses: Powerful, looks good, loaded with optionals,
Cons: Same as Xsara
IM considering the Vectra, because here in brazil you can convert the engine to run on Gas (meaning gas, not gasoline) that makes it run ever cheaper than on alcohool. THe thing I am afraid the most is if the engine is busted. And there is no way to know. I was told that if you get a busted engine and fill it with a 40-60 oil or so the oil is so thick that manages to avoid the engine from producing that dreaded blue smoke which denotes a busted engine... so its kind of a russian roullete =/
DO you people buy from authorized auto dealers or from regular people in the Ads of newspapers and such?
Unread 22 Feb 2006, 13:32   #13
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

My Dad has a 1.8 turbo diesil Vectra (they're branded Vauxhall Vectra here in the UK but it's the same car) which seems decent enough and is reasonably quick. If blue smoke is the indicator of a crapped out engine then you'll just have to watch out for it while you're test driving, and/or get the owner/dealer to rev the engine for you before and after the test drive so you can watch the exhaust.

I've always bought from private newpaper ads because I've never had enough money to buy from a dealer, being a student. You don't get as much car for your money if you buy from a dealer, but you do get the comfort of a warrenty and having someone to go back to if it turns out to be a complete dud. I have bought a bad car on one occasion (cost £700, spent about £600 having to repair it during the course of a year, then got rid of it) but the other two have been fine. I blame the bad one on being in a rush because some arsehole had just written off my other one by smashing into the back of it, and I needed a car to get to my work placement.

My current car is a 1998 Peugeot 306 which cost £2,000, and is a very nice and reliable car. I haven't had a single problem in the 6 months I've had it so far.
Unread 22 Feb 2006, 14:42   #14
Baron Morte
Blatantly overcooked

Quote:
Originally Posted by meglamaniac
My Dad has a 1.8 turbo diesil Vectra (they're branded Vauxhall Vectra here in the UK but it's the same car) which seems decent enough and is reasonably quick.
NIce, you get to have a diesel passenger car? Great.
YOu know what you get here in brazil for driving a diesel passenger car? A fine and a car seizure!
If you want to drive around with a diesel engine it better be on a truck or a Pick-up!
Unread 22 Feb 2006, 15:58   #15
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

NEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Morte
NIce, you get to have a diesel passenger car? Great.
YOu know what you get here in brazil for driving a diesel passenger car? A fine and a car seizure!
If you want to drive around with a diesel engine it better be on a truck or a Pick-up!
what the **** ?
Unread 22 Feb 2006, 16:15   #16
JammyJim
Godfather

you pay 6 grand for a used citreon xsara?!

holy shit dude you need a new country.
Unread 22 Feb 2006, 16:16   #17
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Morte
Seconding NB3's motion - motion carried!
Seriously, what?

Is diesel reserved just for farmers etc or something?
In the UK we have commercial diesil which is sold at the pumps along with petrol and LPG (it's actually more expensive than petrol due to lots and lots of government tax), but farmers and other people who need it for their livelyhood get it minus the tax, but died pink so that it stains the fuel tank. This way the government can easily bust you for getting the no-tax stuff when you shouldn't if you get reported, as your tank will be a pretty shade of pink too.

I still can't quite see why diesel would not be available to the general public...
Unread 22 Feb 2006, 18:09   #18
Baron Morte
Blatantly overcooked

Well you are only allowed to use it if youre a farmer or someone who works with transportation, either people or freight.
So you can only have a diesel engine on something that is legally entitled to carry more than 1 tonne of freight or ten people.
The reason for that is that diesel is heavly subsidised, because there is no railroads or waterways in this underdeveloped trashbin, so the only feasible way our great government could think of to lower the expenses on consumer prices was to pay for all freight in the country.

BRILLIANT!:crazyxmas:

Quote:
Originally Posted by meglamaniac
Seconding NB3's motion - motion carried!
Seriously, what?

Is diesel reserved just for farmers etc or something?
In the UK we have commercial diesil which is sold at the pumps along with petrol and LPG (it's actually more expensive than petrol due to lots and lots of government tax), but farmers and other people who need it for their livelyhood get it minus the tax, but died pink so that it stains the fuel tank. This way the government can easily bust you for getting the no-tax stuff when you shouldn't if you get reported, as your tank will be a pretty shade of pink too.

I still can't quite see why diesel would not be available to the general public...
Unread 22 Feb 2006, 18:16   #19
ceres

ceres has much to be proud ofceres has much to be proud ofceres has much to be proud ofceres has much to be proud ofceres has much to be proud ofceres has much to be proud ofceres has much to be proud ofceres has much to be proud ofceres has much to be proud ofceres has much to be proud of

Something i've sworn by for years now is car leasing, the cars are brand new so very little maintainence and it usually works out to be a very cost effective way of owning a new car.

Not sure if this is an option available to you in Brazil though.
________
ZOLOFT ATTORNEYS

Last edited by ceres; 31 Aug 2011 at 07:09.
ceres is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Feb 2006, 18:20   #20
_RATM_
Loves you with mouth

_RATM_ is infamous around these parts_RATM_ is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceres
Something i've sworn by for years now is car leasing, the cars are brand new so very little maintainence and it usually works out to be a very cost effective way of owning a new car.
It is only cost effective if you don't have a morgage and you have a lot of money coming in per month. I have to agree, however, that it saves you from having to do the post 3 year maintenance which, even with today's cars, is rather ridiculously expensive.

But unless you have the money for it, don't go into a lease, buy used, get a honda or some crap, they usually are ok. Stay away from the americans. Lesson learned hard way.
Unread 22 Feb 2006, 19:25   #21
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend

Or, get a decent job that will provide you with a lease car.
Like me.
Unread 22 Feb 2006, 19:45   #22
Dead_Meat
Old Man O Deh *****s

Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Or, lease a Mazda RX-8 for $250 a month like I do.

You dont need to keep beating a dog to get it to stop shitting on the carpet
Dead_Meat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Feb 2006, 21:34   #23
ceres

ceres has much to be proud ofceres has much to be proud ofceres has much to be proud ofceres has much to be proud ofceres has much to be proud ofceres has much to be proud ofceres has much to be proud ofceres has much to be proud ofceres has much to be proud ofceres has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead_Meat
Top car, we did a large marketing campaign for some UK dealerships recently. Mazda are on a superb run of form at the moment, i was tempted with an RX-8 myself but alas the hills of malvern werent made for such a car. Instead i'm doing my part for global warming with a range rover.
________
CumOnMyLIPS live

Last edited by ceres; 31 Aug 2011 at 07:09.
ceres is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Feb 2006, 21:36   #24
_RATM_
Loves you with mouth

_RATM_ is infamous around these parts_RATM_ is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceres
Top car, we did a large marketing campaign for some UK dealerships recently. Mazda are on a superb run of form at the moment, i was tempted with an RX-8 myself but alas the hills of malvern werent made for such a car. Instead i'm doing my part for global warming with a range rover.
But in the end, a mazda is just a funny name for Ford.
Unread 23 Feb 2006, 00:45   #25
Blastoderm
________

Blastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead_Meat
I'm aiming to get that car one day...
finding strength to call and ask her
Roller coaster favorite ride,
let me kiss you one last time.
Blastoderm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Feb 2006, 02:18   #26
Baron Morte
Blatantly overcooked

Quote:
you pay 6 grand for a used citreon xsara?!

holy shit dude you need a new country.
Its the taxation
Get the top 10 problems we face here.
8 are caused by astronomical taxation.

Its kind of hard to be a president so you need shitloads of money to keep yourself upthere

Seriously. Any british dude wanting to make the big bucks, do the following:
get hold of 20 mi pounds

Expend 19 mi in used cars, 500.000 on freight to Uruguay ( do that an offshore company lease!!!, as uruguay is one of the few countries that harbour them), and the rest to hire some locals to drive these cars to brazil, open a authorized auto dealer and forge the needed documents.
Revenues would be around 300 mi pounds.

Good luck people!!
Unread 23 Feb 2006, 13:30   #27
JammyJim
Godfather

if its taxation then surely the car is worth the same as it is here (prolly a little more but not much) but the actual sale price is crippled because of the tax which is added on later.

So if you setup a car dealership and 'said' you were paying the taxes when infact you wernt youd make a fortune.

Cant you fly to america. Buy a car there and then drive it down? I mean it might cost around a thousand bucks to do it all with fuel etc and plane journey but youd save around 4-5 thousand?
Unread 23 Feb 2006, 14:31   #28
Baron Morte
Blatantly overcooked

Quote:
if its taxation then surely the car is worth the same as it is here (prolly a little more but not much) but the actual sale price is crippled because of the tax which is added on later.

So if you setup a car dealership and 'said' you were paying the taxes when infact you wernt youd make a fortune.

Cant you fly to america. Buy a car there and then drive it down? I mean it might cost around a thousand bucks to do it all with fuel etc and plane journey but youd save around 4-5 thousand?
the main problem is the import taxes.
They charge 60% of the total value of the car and freight on any car you bring from overseas. So droping the cars on uruguay and driving them to brasil would alone represent a 60% drop on final consumer prices, which gives considerable advantage, meaning you can take as profict 55% of the value of the car and a 5% discount to motivate the sales.
The taxes which apply later on, sales taxes and etc still apply, because dodging them is pretty hard in brasil, considering most of the police force is geared towards avoiding tax evasion, and things like fine collecting and avoiding frauds against the government, instead of defending the population from criminals. Its just a matter of principles. You get lots of money when people pay the absurd taxes and making sure that they dont fraud anything. Not so much money is made from keeping the general population safe...
Having said that, the Urugay rush is much more feasible, because of the open borders policy generated by Mercosul ( our economic block).
The problem with the US thingy is that I would have no documentation of the car, which would be promptly asked in most of the around 15 countries I would have to cross, so Im not sure It would work...
I presume that you are only able to register the car if you live in the Us....
Unread 23 Feb 2006, 17:38   #29
JammyJim
Godfather

ok you need a car for $10,000$

you could probably get a far better car than you are looking at right now for around say $5000. So cost of travel = $1000

leaving 4 grand to bribe every official who asks any questions along the way.

grease the wheels and they will turn.

Plus itd make a ****ing ace story for GD if you didnt end up in jail.
Unread 23 Feb 2006, 17:51   #30
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

If that film Man on Fire is anything to go by, bribery should not be hard in Brazil.
Unread 23 Feb 2006, 18:02   #31
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

Quote:
ok you need a car for $10,000$

you could probably get a far better car than you are looking at right now for around say $5000. So cost of travel = $1000

leaving 4 grand to bribe every official who asks any questions along the way.

grease the wheels and they will turn.

Plus itd make a ****ing ace story for GD if you didnt end up in jail.
not to mention a feature length film.