User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 2 Jan 2006, 22:27   #1
TheBerk
dazed and confused

TheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant future
Tooth ache.

Tonight I went to the emergency dental clinic to get my teeth looked at. Since friday night I have had an enormous amount of pain across the left side of my jaw, this has resulted in bugger all sleep for the last few nights. Last night was no different with me finally getting to sleep at roughly 4am, great, except I have to be up for work at 6am. So 6am arrives and I think bugger this and phone in to work, explain the situation and blag the day off before returning to bed. Upon re-awakening at 9am I resolve to find a dentist to get myself checked out. I haven't been to a dentist for 5 years, this could be tricky, finally after trying all sorts of emergency lines I find somewhere I can go. The appointment is set up for 7.30pm. Me and my mothers boyfriend arrive at the dental clinic as he needs to have a tooth pulled, we go in, the dentist prods, scrapes and does god knows what to my teeth all the while asking if this or that hurts. It doesn't, I've been in agony for days and with this man poking and scraping it doesn't hurt for some reason. He decides to take a couple of x-rays as he can't see anything wrong. A little while later after he's treated a few other people he calls me back in, after looking at the x-rays and having another poke around he still cant find anything wrong. This is the story of my life, I am in pain and there is no cause to be found, so he prescribes me a course of anti-biotics and tells me to call back in a week if there is no change.

This is not the first time this has happened.
A while ago I knackered my elbows up in mosh pit, effectively smashing the edges of the bone off. I went to the hospital to get it looked at, I can feel 2 new gaps where the bones used to join, I can also feel loose shards moving around where the gaps have formed. The nurse looks at my elbows, bends them this way and that before proclaiming that nothing is wrong with them as I never screamed in pain. So I leave the hospital with 2 elbows that are still playing up to this day.
A few years previous while I was in the air training corps I dislocated my knee cap. Extremely painful, when i straightened my leg again it popped back into place. So off we go to the hospital in Pershore where we were doing the training exercise. The dostors asked what had happened, I explained, they asked if I'd ever dislocated my knee cap before, I hadn't so the next thing I was told was that it couldn't have happened. I felt my knee cap slide half way around my leg and move back into place, and they tell me it couldn't possibly have happened. So I hobble from the hospital with a still knackered knee cap.

There isn't really much point to this post, except maybe to vent some frustrations that it seems I must have blood pouring out of a wound before it is recognised as a real injury.

Please feel free to add any hospital stories you may have.

Oh, and my teeth still hurt.
Unread 3 Jan 2006, 00:09   #2
Boogster
I dunno...

Boogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud of
Re: Tooth ache.

I've got to have a tooth implant soon. It costs £4000. I've no idea if my parents can afford that - I obviously can't -and I've no idea how I'll pay them back.
They've got to graft some bone from my jaw. Every other experience with this tooth over the last 10 years has been either excruciating or mildly traumatising or both; I've not got high hopes for this one.
Boogster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Jan 2006, 01:32   #3
s|k
Caveat Lector

s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I haven't gone to the dentist since 2001, I have no money and no health or dental insurance of any kind. I just pray and brush my teeth everyday.
Unread 3 Jan 2006, 01:45   #4
pig
1up on you

pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Could be your wisdom teeth coming through
Unread 3 Jan 2006, 01:50   #5
Proxi
Ron Burgundy

Proxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by s|k
I haven't gone to the dentist since 2001, I have no money and no health or dental insurance of any kind. I just pray and brush my teeth everyday.
qtf, except from 2003 for myself.
Unread 3 Jan 2006, 01:56   #6
TheBerk
dazed and confused

TheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig
Could be your wisdom teeth coming through
I already have all my wisdom teeth. The bottom pair actually came through twice, they came through, then the gums grew over them, then they finally came through and decided it wasn't that bad after all and stayed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by horn
Turns out i have some jagged cartilidge underneath the knee cap (more painful than it sounds i promise)
It still sounds pretty bad, will it be needing an operation or anything?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogster
I've got to have a tooth implant soon. It costs £4000.
First of all: HOW MUCH? Secondly, what will this actually entail, and how does it justify such a cost?
Unread 3 Jan 2006, 02:00   #7
TheBerk
dazed and confused

Also this is the first time i have been to a dentist since 2000 when I was still in full time education and it was free, I'd broken half a tooth off opening a beer bottle with my teeth.
This time though I had to pay, £20 for the privilige of having my teeth poked prodded x-rayed and scraped plus a prescription of amoxicillin. Still did better than my mother's boyfriend, cost him £50 for the pleasure of having his tooth pulled.
Unread 3 Jan 2006, 02:13   #8
Proxi
Ron Burgundy

Proxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant future

£20 is pretty good mate, i've heard of some truly extortionate rates. I like the way they only tell you how much it is after you've had it done aswel.
[edit: fair enough the dentist might not know himself, but a rough figure wouldn't hurt]
Unread 3 Jan 2006, 02:16   #9
TheBerk
dazed and confused

Aye, I was dreading the cost tbh, which as you said came after he had finished. With most of the patients there though he told them it was £50 after his initial examination and before he called them back in to rip teeth out.
Unread 3 Jan 2006, 03:01   #10
Demon Dave
Insanity Prawn Boy!

Demon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBerk
This time though I had to pay, £20 for the privilige of having my teeth poked prodded x-rayed and scraped plus a prescription of amoxicillin. Still did better than my mother's boyfriend, cost him £50 for the pleasure of having his tooth pulled.
you'd better hope you're not allergic to penacillan, my sister had that stuff and soon started chucking her guts up because it turned out that she was allergic
We shall remember them.
Demon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Jan 2006, 05:26   #11
demiGOD
the Sacred Pervert

demiGOD is just really nicedemiGOD is just really nicedemiGOD is just really nicedemiGOD is just really nicedemiGOD is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by s|k
You must miss the beauties of TriCare.

Veneratio | Insomnia | F-Crew | Subh
demiGOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Jan 2006, 10:01   #12
Radical Edward

Radical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBerk
Tonight I went to the emergency dental clinic to get my teeth looked at. Since friday night I have had an enormous amount of pain across the left side of my jaw, this has resulted in bugger all sleep for the last few nights. Last night was no different with me finally getting to sleep at roughly 4am, great, except I have to be up for work at 6am. So 6am arrives and I think bugger this and phone in to work, explain the situation and blag the day off before returning to bed. Upon re-awakening at 9am I resolve to find a dentist to get myself checked out. I haven't been to a dentist for 5 years, this could be tricky, finally after trying all sorts of emergency lines I find somewhere I can go. The appointment is set up for 7.30pm. Me and my mothers boyfriend arrive at the dental clinic as he needs to have a tooth pulled, we go in, the dentist prods, scrapes and does god knows what to my teeth all the while asking if this or that hurts. It doesn't, I've been in agony for days and with this man poking and scraping it doesn't hurt for some reason. He decides to take a couple of x-rays as he can't see anything wrong. A little while later after he's treated a few other people he calls me back in, after looking at the x-rays and having another poke around he still cant find anything wrong. This is the story of my life, I am in pain and there is no cause to be found, so he prescribes me a course of anti-biotics and tells me to call back in a week if there is no change.
It could be neurovascular pain. This sometimes manifests itself as a pain that feely just like severe tooth or jaw ache. If your dentist really cannot find anything wrong and starts suggesting things like root canal surgery or tooth extraction, then go and see a neurologist first, since Neurovascular pain can be treated with just medication.

ok 3..... 2..... 1.. let's jam
Radical Edward is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Jan 2006, 13:00   #13
Vaio
Heh, Leeds !

Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

In Cumbria we are not allowed to have dentists apparently so I have to travel to Hexham (about 30 miles or so away) to have mine sorted.

As I have kinda sorta neglected them for the last 20 years or so this is a bit of a bind but as it is my own fault i can't really complain (plus the dental assistant is a bit of a hottie who I would consider taking out for a date when I am able to give her a dazzling smile)

Yes, I know he is dead !
Vaio is offline   Reply With Quote