User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions

Unread 4 Jun 2008, 09:17   #51
Veedeejem!
Hibernating

Veedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The players have voted - round 23 skin sucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooling
If the future's what you are looking towards, scrap all the skins and replace them with a blank screen.
Posts like this really annoy me, especially since I've been seeing them since r11.
People were certain PA was about to die then, now 16 rounds later PA is still here...

Please post something valuable to the topic in the future and keep your "zomg PA is gonna die soon" cynical mentality to yourself :-)

[ToF] - [eXilition] - [Rock] - [Denial] - [DLR] - [eVolution] - [ODDR] - [HR] - [Ultores] - [Apprime] - [Ironborn]
Veedeejem! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Jun 2008, 09:24   #52
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

R5, with the advent of Pay to Play, was the first calls of "PA is Dying".
Its a bit old now, really.

Though, i suppose the longer the game lasts, the more probable that they're going to be right, to the point when someone gets it spot on.
Ultimate Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Jun 2008, 09:27   #53
[DW]Entropy
Ent|lunch

[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate Newbie
Though, i suppose the longer the game lasts, the more probable that they're going to be right, to the point when someone gets it spot on.
Granted you assume the world will end one day, ten chances are..PA will too

"Don't tell people how to do things, tell them what to do and let them surprise you with their results."

"Ars longa, vita brevis, occasio praeceps, experimentum periculosum, iudicium difficile"
[DW]Entropy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Jun 2008, 10:33   #54
Membrivio
Leader of the Membrivians
Curveball Champion, Sober Santa 2 Champion

Membrivio is a splendid one to beholdMembrivio is a splendid one to beholdMembrivio is a splendid one to beholdMembrivio is a splendid one to beholdMembrivio is a splendid one to beholdMembrivio is a splendid one to beholdMembrivio is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by [DW]Entropy
Ok heres another alternative, why not (when you have the time, or maybe someone else could do it?) write up a tutorial explaining how to make the most basic of skins etc. That way people are being helped along with the first step in creating a skin.
[...] But if you write up something that explains how a skin is created or designed then you then have yourself a guide to getting something out the community.
I'm sure if you did this (well i hope) that you would see an increase in skin submissions.
I would at least try! ^^

Another thing: the design of the portal (I didn't sign up, so didn't see the game part) could be improved easily merely by working on the lay out. I mean, the design itself is not very bad imo. (It isnt the most beatiful either ) However, it is how all the stuff is placed that makes it quite dysfunctional and ugly to look at. I think that if every input would be placed in a more logical and attractive way it will be a huge difference already.
R35/36: p3nguins
R37: Evolution
R48: ODDR
R49: CT
[KB] [Mercenaries] [p0ny]

The intelligent man finds almost everything ridiculous, the sensible man hardly anything. (J.W. Goethe)
Membrivio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Jun 2008, 11:43   #55
GReaper
The BOFH

GReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincinnatus
btw, the skin it's being complained about, the r23, was done by a designer
It's not really the design which is the major problem though, it's the implementation of it.

Looking at this:

http://www.skjermskudd.com/out.php/i614_r23example.png

- CAPS are rather annoying at the top, excessive caps use.
- Proximity - it's not that easy to tell what value is grouped with what due to the different spacing and even the different positioning of text with numbers, same goes with the main page which looks like a wall of text.
- Poor choice of colours for text. We've got blue on black (yes I know this occurs on others due to the nature of themes), gray on the yellow/orange background, green on the yellow/orange background - this makes it difficult to read.

Now compare it to:

http://www.skjermskudd.com/out.php/i615_marsexample.png

- You can easily tell which number belongs with which icon/text due to the repetition - icon/text at the top and number at the bottom, the colours are also different so you know which number is grouped with which icon.
- The main page has the different sections grouped together slightly better, instead of being a wall of text like in R23.

It's not a perfect design, neither are that great for graphics but Mars and R21 are designs which are easy to read compared to R23.
GReaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Jun 2008, 11:50   #56
Cincinnatus
PA Team

Cincinnatus has much to be proud ofCincinnatus has much to be proud ofCincinnatus has much to be proud ofCincinnatus has much to be proud ofCincinnatus has much to be proud ofCincinnatus has much to be proud ofCincinnatus has much to be proud ofCincinnatus has much to be proud ofCincinnatus has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by GReaper
It's not really the design which is the major problem though, it's the implementation of it.

Looking at this:

http://www.skjermskudd.com/out.php/i614_r23example.png

- CAPS are rather annoying at the top, excessive caps use.
- Proximity - it's not that easy to tell what value is grouped with what due to the different spacing and even the different positioning of text with numbers, same goes with the main page which looks like a wall of text.
- Poor choice of colours for text. We've got blue on black (yes I know this occurs on others due to the nature of themes), gray on the yellow/orange background, green on the yellow/orange background - this makes it difficult to read.

Now compare it to:

http://www.skjermskudd.com/out.php/i615_marsexample.png

- You can easily tell which number belongs with which icon/text due to the repetition - icon/text at the top and number at the bottom, the colours are also different so you know which number is grouped with which icon.
- The main page has the different sections grouped together slightly better, instead of being a wall of text like in R23.

It's not a perfect design, neither are that great for graphics but Mars and R21 are designs which are easy to read compared to R23.
then how would you do the positioning in the header?
Also it really isn't that hard to tell which text and value belong together
MultiHunter Team -#multihunters
Cincinnatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Jun 2008, 11:53   #57
[DW]Entropy
Ent|lunch

[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold

I'd always put the resource value below the name of it...just reads better..but what do i know? (cue someone quoting this with a witty comment)

"Don't tell people how to do things, tell them what to do and let them surprise you with their results."

"Ars longa, vita brevis, occasio praeceps, experimentum periculosum, iudicium difficile"
Unread 4 Jun 2008, 13:25   #58
GReaper
The BOFH

GReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincinnatus
then how would you do the positioning in the header?
Also it really isn't that hard to tell which text and value belong together
Possibly move all that detail into the orange box. Maybe move the green box up slightly and reduce the width of the orange box to match the large column - but I'm not entirely sure. Having all those numbers around the logo really isn't the best place for it though.

Reuse the icons from the Mars theme, but make sure you tweak them to match the R23 theme.

As I've said though, there are other issues, so ask for help with it from someone with experience.
Unread 4 Jun 2008, 13:35   #59
Cincinnatus
PA Team

Cincinnatus has much to be proud ofCincinnatus has much to be proud ofCincinnatus has much to be proud ofCincinnatus has much to be proud ofCincinnatus has much to be proud ofCincinnatus has much to be proud ofCincinnatus has much to be proud ofCincinnatus has much to be proud ofCincinnatus has much to be proud of

well, you are one of those saying the "skin sucks", so you are a natural choice to ask.
the stuff you suggest won't really work either
Unread 4 Jun 2008, 14:10   #60
Makhil

Makhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to behold

http://www.sabaideal.com/pa/caladan/Overview.htm

that's the last skin i made, it took me some time to do it but I think nobody ever used it... at least it worked as a wake up call for me... time to worry about other things and use whatever skin is available
Unread 5 Jun 2008, 00:38   #61
GReaper
The BOFH

http://www.skjermskudd.com/out.php/i...vedexample.png

Half done just as a quick example, it clears up the mess around the logo, if all the information is moved and arranged nicely with a few graphics it would make it far more readable.

I could finish it off if it's wanted, however it's still only a minor fix. The design isn't that appealing and as I've said earlier there are other problems.

Last edited by GReaper; 5 Jun 2008 at 00:54.
Unread 5 Jun 2008, 00:46   #62
Cincinnatus
PA Team

the changes you've done in that image won't happen.
that orange "line" has a set height which has to be kept
Unread 5 Jun 2008, 02:17   #63
GReaper
The BOFH

As I said earlier, if you want a better design/interface then go ask for help, but I don't think you have much interest in it.

You can either stick with the restrictions of a poor design which isn't even implemented the same across all the sites, or do something about it and change it. I find it disappointing that Planetarion is stuck with yet another design which is merely acceptable instead of being great and something to be proud of.
Unread 5 Jun 2008, 03:18   #64
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

I like the icons, ship planet and header in that mars example, though i'm a bit indifferent to the rest of it (its a bit plain). It might benefit from having some of that rounded grey border around the Jolt logo too, to make it look like its meant to be there. Nevertheless, moving that little mail and news icon in particular to the R23 skin would be nice and may actually reduce some of the clutter around the header? IIRC the actual word MAIL and NEWS were used for a chap who was blind who used a certain programme to "read" the screen - has that technology changed or been updated to show a change in a button now?

Btw, where do Friendlies/hostiles show up in these skins? Its been too long since i've played to remember .

With regards to the R23 skin, i think it might be worth playing with the main page background a little - that yellow ship in the background seems to spoil it a bit. Perhaps. I dont know whether its just that someone is going on behind the text, or the colour, or whatever, but is the skin improved if it was just a clean black colour down there?
Ultimate Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Jun 2008, 08:38   #65
Mistwraith
Bad Girl

Mistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud of

its not a postage stamp, it cant be just printed on !

http://www.sabaideal.com/pa/caladan/Overview.htm

i like this but was there a reason it couldnt be used ?

R23 skin isnt that bad, i just use r21 because its menu bar fits nicely on my mobile phone screen, and although i do like it, i doubt the above one would fit either, like all the other long ones.
R11 -> NOW HR HC
(a round history not condusive to suceeding in exams, having a life or much sleep )
I'm not misunderstood ... I'm EVIL
Mistwraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Jun 2008, 08:54   #66
[DW]Entropy
Ent|lunch

Sometimes its better to be plain than complicated. With plain your eyes know what they're focusing on. With complicated your eyes can't focus on one thing at once. Though its easy saying "go get someone else to do it" i'm sure the issue of proffesional staff who will do stuff like this for free has been raised before.

Unread 13 Jun 2008, 18:48   #67
Zaejii
This Space for Rent
Speedy Thief Champion, Turbo Turtle Champion, Cop-For-This Champion

Zaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud of

i think i finally figured out something else i didn't like about the r23 skin thats a simple adjustment. it came to me when i opened up a scan group after i was logged out. i really think it would possibly be better if the background was pinned (i can't remember the html code option) where the text scrolls over the image instead of the image scrolling with the text. at the least this would improve the scan pages instead of having the picture loop. any thoughts?
Unread 14 Jun 2008, 21:17   #68
[DDK]gm

[DDK]gm has a brilliant future[DDK]gm has a brilliant future[DDK]gm has a brilliant future[DDK]gm has a brilliant future[DDK]gm has a brilliant future[DDK]gm has a brilliant future[DDK]gm has a brilliant future[DDK]gm has a brilliant future[DDK]gm has a brilliant future[DDK]gm has a brilliant future[DDK]gm has a brilliant future

who gives a toss about the skin, you have a choice there, tbh Mars ftw!! make it default
R10 Eclipse
R10.5-R13 FAnG
R20-23 CT
R23 (CT BG) ToF
R24-R82... CT
[DDK]gm is offline   Reply With Quote