User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions

Unread 31 May 2008, 05:01   #1
hairypalms

hairypalms is a jewel in the roughhairypalms is a jewel in the roughhairypalms is a jewel in the rough
6th race, Amazon`s revisited

Hi some of you may remember the amazon race sugestion last year, with the cargo/resource stealing ships as a 6th race ability (the amazon race)

I have come up with a complete new ability for the race one that not only will help to balance the ship stats in future rounds as i believe an even number of races helps to do, as each race needs a counter race.

here is a quick breif (open the link) http://samwell666.angelfire.com/

could use much work and input but i believe the concept fot this race is good plz lemme know what u guys think.
hairypalms is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 May 2008, 07:21   #2
Ave

Ave is a glorious beacon of lightAve is a glorious beacon of lightAve is a glorious beacon of lightAve is a glorious beacon of lightAve is a glorious beacon of lightAve is a glorious beacon of light
Re: 6th race, Amazon`s revisited

I am not sure the race fits to a spacegame. Also the features/identity dont impress me much. Those can be added among curent races, for human example.
Unread 31 May 2008, 09:36   #3
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Just a couple of things. First, you might want to make a note to scroll down on that page to see what you've added, because their advertising seems to cover the first whole screen.

Secondly, i want to express my appreciation for your efforts and persistence with this idea and other ideas. Its great, but it will frequently be demoralising. Keep at it!

Firstly, presently the major justification for your idea needs a re-working of the way population is done, as presently (afaik) the actual number of people isnt relevent when it comes to the outcomes of your research/con etc. For this to work, that needs to change, which means you need to convince Cin, so the only way that it'll get coded is if i say its a bad idea .

Whilst i realise that the stats that you suggested are just for show, what impact would removing two of the race's ships from actual killing and targeting have on their vulnerability to other races? Eg, Terran has all of their ships except podsa nd SKs to kill their enemy, whilst half of the Amazon ships dont actually fire with their guns. This might be a major problem for them.

Also, this comment right at the end; "
unique ability to the amazon other races popultion have no effect" - i'm not sure how that will be workable. Eg, Xan's cloaking - is it just turned off? Cathaar's EMP, does that mean EMP ships cant fire? Terran Armour - does that mean they loose half their armour? I'm not sure how this 'feature' would work, thus it needs alot more elaboration.
Ultimate Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 May 2008, 12:12   #4
hairypalms

hairypalms is a jewel in the roughhairypalms is a jewel in the roughhairypalms is a jewel in the rough

yes i agree especially with the last statement the ability would need to be with the ships and not unique to the race and cannot be an on off thing.

as the population number and growth is redundant i think this would be a great oppertunity to implement a new system which gives the base output for a planet instead of the different races output each race would then have the same oppertunity to gain the highest output possible and a great new update for future rounds, there is nothing more exciting than a new race, if that being extreme the population factor could contribute % bonuses only and not base output.

for the 2 ships which the race would loose, could they be implemented as pod/slave ships?
Unread 31 May 2008, 13:02   #5
M0RPH3US
idle

M0RPH3US is just really niceM0RPH3US is just really niceM0RPH3US is just really niceM0RPH3US is just really niceM0RPH3US is just really nice

Don´t think another race benefits the game tbh

Though the feature of stealing population may be a interesting thing, if population finally would take an effect on a planet.

Those slave ships could be something for ETD
or just for every race, every race has a space ship
or maybe implement it for certain governments
like feudalism and dictatoship makes u able to build slaveship

while in a democracy its not allowed to have slaves, and a in unification implementing slaves won´t work (or less effective)

The races not allowing/beeing able to get slaves included, should have a higher defence rate vs slaveships instead
e.g. in a democracy there is a special anti slavery department which will free 50% of the actual stolen population in a sneaky freedom action while the hostile slaveships return to their destination
or 50% of the stolen unification population wont survive the lifestyle in another civilization

summarized, its a nice idea IF population is coded as something to actually having an effect

"It´s not about how hard u hit, its about how hard u can get hit and still keep moving forward! How much u can take and still move forward!"
M0RPH3US is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 May 2008, 13:12   #6
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I don't think the game needs another race, with all the balancing issues it brings, regardless of how good or bad the actual idea is.
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Mzyxptlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 May 2008, 13:24   #7
HaNzI
Apprime Troll HC

HaNzI has a spectacular aura aboutHaNzI has a spectacular aura aboutHaNzI has a spectacular aura about

1 race and a huge techtree ftw!
HaNzI is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 May 2008, 13:37   #8
Cooling
Tilting at windmills

Cooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

The game needs three races, not six.

You are moving in the wrong direction.
Unread 31 May 2008, 13:40   #9
Achilles
Poblacht na hÉireann

Achilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooling
The game needs three races, not six.

You are moving in the wrong direction.
Achilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 May 2008, 13:45   #10
Veedeejem!
Hibernating

Veedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaNzI
1 race and a huge techtree ftw!
QFT

[ToF] - [eXilition] - [Rock] - [Denial] - [DLR] - [eVolution] - [ODDR] - [HR] - [Ultores] - [Apprime] - [Ironborn]
Veedeejem! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 May 2008, 15:13   #11
Linkie
fanboy

Linkie is a splendid one to beholdLinkie is a splendid one to beholdLinkie is a splendid one to beholdLinkie is a splendid one to beholdLinkie is a splendid one to beholdLinkie is a splendid one to behold

Honestly, 4 races brought along enough issues with balance, I don't understand why they decided to add a 5th one, and I think a 6th one would make it even worse.

Also, balancing around counter-races is a horrible idea as it just brings even more rock paper scissor into the mix.

FOUNDER OF THE OFFICIAL ASCENDANCY LADY GAGA FAN CLUB

ASCENDANCY DEMOLITION MAN
Linkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 May 2008, 15:42   #12
[DW]Entropy
Ent|lunch

[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold

ok..amazons were the tribe of ancient women? women driving spaceships? omg, the crash rate would be off the scale

"Don't tell people how to do things, tell them what to do and let them surprise you with their results."

"Ars longa, vita brevis, occasio praeceps, experimentum periculosum, iudicium difficile"
[DW]Entropy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 May 2008, 16:37   #13
hairypalms

a few people have stated that a new race is not needed and we should downsize, i tottaly disagree more races will spread the % of chosen races and make for better targeting instead of the 40% going for one race. i also enjoy the fact that there are many choices of race the whole start of round what race shall i be? is fun for me and many others, if this game is going to progress it needs big changes and updates such as this once in a while.

although if anything ETD should be scrapped and replaced with the Amazon, ETD for me are the most boring tho i do accept that many find them fun. i personaly like to have one ability not all 4.
Unread 31 May 2008, 17:26   #14
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

More does not equal better.
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Mzyxptlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 May 2008, 23:20   #15
Fatrick
Farmer Smurf

Fatrick can only hope to improve

For this race to work you need to make another suggestions thread to actually implement the number of population for each planet. No point in stealing population if they are added to a number in your populations screen that does nothing anyway.

I have no rival; No man can be my equal
Fatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 May 2008, 23:46   #16
_Kila_
break it down!

_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairypalms
a few people have stated that a new race is not needed and we should downsize, i tottaly disagree more races will spread the % of chosen races and make for better targeting instead of the 40% going for one race.
"40% going for one race" is due to poor race balancing. The way to fix this is to remove races and make it easier to balance, not to add races and make it harder.
In fact, adding the 6th race will
a. decrease the % of planets of each race (obviously)
b. be even less balanced, leading to a smaller proportion of the playerbase being the "crap" race for that round, leading to even more concentrated incomings and bashing as there will be fewer of them than there are now.
Unread 2 Jun 2008, 00:21   #17
hairypalms

ok here is my conclusion adding another race seems like too much hard work even tho the ability isnt a bad one,

i now propose this: give each race a slave ship class which steal a planets % of population then put into place a government requirement system for example.

Dictatorship: 15000 required
Feudalism: 30000 required
Unionship: 50000 required
Unification: 80000 required
Republic: 100000 required
Democracy: 200000 required

having the bonuses of each government increase and prehaps differ

Last edited by hairypalms; 2 Jun 2008 at 00:27.
Unread 2 Jun 2008, 04:01   #18
Makhil

Makhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to behold

I think your last idea could be implemented by simply allowing population settings to go beyond 100%. For example you could gain +'x'% every 'y' thousand slaves captured...
Unread 2 Jun 2008, 13:52   #19
hairypalms

yes this is another option, but would this be capped? how would you cap the % bonus and the steal %?

this could also introduce a new scan type to detect the population number of a planet.

also how about different races slave ships differing on the ammount they can steal in referance to their costs

example ter slave ship: cost metal 1000, crystal 800, eonium 800 and can steal 2% of a planets population per ship successfully landing, capped at 25% max per landing tick for all races

Xan slave ship: cost metal 200, crystal 200, eonium 200 and can steal 0.5% per ship succesfully landing.

or prehaps reduce the ammount stolen as Xan would only need 50 ships to land to cap 25%

the alternate is to have a ships steal x ammount of population as Makhil stated and not work on a % basis

for example: terran slave ship costs metal 1200, crystal 1000, eonium 1000 and can steal 100 population per ship.

with this population stolen either working on the % basis or ammount basis, there are a number of avenues they can go down.

a) the population captured contributes to the bonus % of a planet and allows it to exceed its 100% maximum

b) trade in population for research or construction points (upto the user) or resources

c) have the government system i stated above in referance with population numbers.

formula for population growth example: 1% of value 900,000 = 9000 + roid size 600 = 9600, 0.5% of population size 100,000 = 500 500+9600 = 10100 growth per tick.

1% raise in bonus of eaither mining, research, construction, would require 10,000 population which would die upon use NOTE population at a minimum of 10,000 base population that cannot be used, therefore taking into account the scenario calculation above based on option a) the user would be able to raise one of the selected bonuses by 1% per tick or spend his saved population for a 9% raise in the chosen field for 1 tick only

Last edited by hairypalms; 2 Jun 2008 at 15:59.
Unread 2 Jun 2008, 18:42   #20
Caj
speed demon

Caj is just really niceCaj is just really niceCaj is just really niceCaj is just really nice

quality above quantity!! ETD is still not balanced yet - every round ETD has even been uber good, uber shit, or uber xp whore!
Round 20 - Rank 7 - Destiny (Zik)
Round 24 - Rank 2 - Conspiracy (Xan)
Round 28 - Rank 4 - Ascendancy (Xan)
Round 66 - Rank 9 - Ultores (Etd)
Round 83 - Rank 10 - #METOO (Zik)
Round 85 - Rank 3 - QQ (Etd)
Round 89 - Rank 2 - VGN (Zik)
Round 91 - Rank 9 - VGN (Zik)
Caj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Jun 2008, 18:50   #21
hairypalms

http://pirate.planetarion.com/showthread.php?t=196566 <-- this thread explains in much more clearer