User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Unread 12 Dec 2005, 04:45   #1
s|k
Caveat Lector

s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
A British and American cultural conflict

Please don't make this thread into something US vs British, that's not the purpose of it.

I've noticed this now in other places besides GD/Netgamers. I can only explain it from my point of view, and it occurs to me like this:
British, especially educated ones, are very pushy, abrupt, uncivil, arrogant and direct in their manner of speaking, and often sarcastic and cynical. Please understand that I'm just explaining it from my American point of view, and that I don't think people try to be uncivil intentionally. Further from my perspective it seems as if people in the UK are not making the effort to provide common courtesy. I imagine that, maybe, from a British perspective common courtesy seems like a waste of time, unecessary hand holding when you just want to make a point.

I think this explains my hostility a lot of the time, especially against yahwe and mrl_jakiri (who really has been overtly offensive a lot of the time, and borderline other times).

I believe that this is an unbreakable, irreconcilable difference. The tiny amount of effort it takes to be courteous to others in everything you do seems integral to me and I imagine incomprehensibly burdensome to some of you.

I realize I'm generalizing, please forgive me. Next time I blow up on one of you, which is bound to happen, please excuse me. There's nothing worse for me than someone who is more knowledgeable than I am on a topic to sit there and rub it in, and be obnoxiously arrogant and brazen about it, it' so much of a taboo to be so smug and self confident in non-elite America that if someone were to do it in a one and one encounter, don't be surprised to be choked to death, or severely censured in some way or another.

EDIT: I know this doesn't explain when I get angry with dda, I don't deny that I have anger issues.