User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Strategic Discussions

Unread 7 Jan 2012, 18:45   #1
Monroe
Planetarion Forum Moderator

Monroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud of
Impact of changes to prelaunch

So since attack prelaunch has effectively been removed, what are people's thoughts on how this will change attack strategies?

My gut reaction is that attack times will have to shift to the euro evening in order to accommodate the large number of potential attackers. The other thing that is likely to happen in my opinion is that unless the stats are very attack oriented it will be very difficult to land on the active players this round.

#strategy
Monroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Jan 2012, 19:13   #2
Tiamat101

Tiamat101 is a jewel in the roughTiamat101 is a jewel in the roughTiamat101 is a jewel in the roughTiamat101 is a jewel in the rough
Re: Impact of changes to prelaunch

It will mean that attack times are shift. Also that people that are less active will have a harder time playing. I'm intersted to see how it all works itself out.
Unread 7 Jan 2012, 20:20   #3
Kaiba
Valle is my hero

Kaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud of

I think it means a rather large nail in PA's coffin tbh. It will push attacks to euro morning most likely (6am -10am gametime) and attacks will be massively harder to land due to attacks launching in an active period (more dc's/defenders easily available)

As Tia says the less active will struggle more with this change... we will see how it pans out i guess and how many people are left playing at the end.
Kaiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Jan 2012, 22:52   #4
Spawn

Spawn is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiba View Post
I think it means a rather large nail in PA's coffin tbh. It will push attacks to euro morning most likely (6am -10am gametime) and attacks will be massively harder to land due to attacks launching in an active period (more dc's/defenders easily available)

As Tia says the less active will struggle more with this change... we will see how it pans out i guess and how many people are left playing at the end.
Which consequently means that having a race that has eta advantage will have the best chance of landing. (Massive Xan)
Unread 7 Jan 2012, 22:58   #5
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

What? No, that does not follow.
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Mzyxptlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Jan 2012, 02:15   #6
Monroe

Monroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud of

I don't see how the removal of prelaunch in and of itself put any more nails in the coffin. At some level I think this is the most interesting strategic change in the game since the introduction of etd, I think it is yet to be seen if it is a positive or a negative. One thing is for sure though, it will make life easier on DCs, and they have the hardest job in the game. It might therefore significantly help small alliances who generally struggle more DCing anyway, and if the smaller alliances do better, perhaps more people will be attracted to the game.

#strategy
Unread 8 Jan 2012, 08:06   #7
isildurx

isildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think this will be such a huge change. Most of the active alliances' members get up during the night to send defence anyhow. I don't think that inactives will have such a hard time.

Also, what's so bad about launching attacks at 0200 cet (provided you PL before going to bed)? I think this change will spread out launch-times of attacks a bit more. I don't think ingal def will be any harder either, you can still prelaunch a few ticks in advance so being active constantly isn't a requirement.

I for one welcomes this change, any change really, to the game, long overdue that something is done. That being said, I'm still not contemplating playing next round tho.
Unread 8 Jan 2012, 08:07   #8
Paisley
The brother of Spammer

Paisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks Monroe That is the point I would like to make

My next point I would like to make is STOP MAKING THE STATS SO DEFENSIVE in nature and take examples of R42 (single targeting) and R38 (multiple targeting) as examples of offensive stats.

Having offensive stats do also increase the % of landing aswell

In R17 it was possible to steal over 10,000 Roids in 1 round
(I should know because I had done it)
Unread 8 Jan 2012, 09:27   #9
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Had I known this change was coming, I would've been in favour of more offense oriented stats as well.
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Unread 8 Jan 2012, 09:58   #10
Tiamat101

Tiamat101 is a jewel in the roughTiamat101 is a jewel in the roughTiamat101 is a jewel in the roughTiamat101 is a jewel in the rough

Had i been aware i might have made some kind of changes.
Unread 8 Jan 2012, 13:40   #11
Reincarnate
ToF

Reincarnate is a name known to allReincarnate is a name known to allReincarnate is a name known to allReincarnate is a name known to allReincarnate is a name known to allReincarnate is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paisley View Post
In R17 it was possible to steal over 10,000 Roids in 1 round
(I should know because I had done it)
and that had nothing to do with there being over 3 times as many planets.
[19:10] <coffee-> dont worry about Reincarnate he is an angry man

R1 - 9 none | R10.5 - 13 [ToF] | R14 [Reunion] | R15-17 [Subh] | R18 - 36 PA vacation | R37 [Evo] | R38 [NFI] | R39 & 40 [ToF] | R41 [Omega] | R42 - 47 [ToF][HC]
Reincarnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Jan 2012, 16:20   #12
Mzyxptlk
mz.

Plus most of the people who've quit over the past 5 years were noobs outside of alliances. We've gone from more than two "farms" per alliance player to less than one.
Unread 8 Jan 2012, 18:31   #13
VenoX

VenoX has a brilliant futureVenoX has a brilliant futureVenoX has a brilliant futureVenoX has a brilliant futureVenoX has a brilliant futureVenoX has a brilliant futureVenoX has a brilliant futureVenoX has a brilliant futureVenoX has a brilliant futureVenoX has a brilliant futureVenoX has a brilliant future

This change has made up my mind not to play next round, my activity over recent rounds has been limited anyway due to rl commitments and my defensive contribution to alliances (and my own planet too) has been generally poorer than usual as a consequence but if I can't even join in alliance attacks now either then there really is no point in me playing, very poor change imo.
Unread 9 Jan 2012, 07:13   #14
isildurx

isildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond repute

So your alliance insist on launching only 3/4 o'clock waves? Sounds a bit retarded.
Unread 9 Jan 2012, 14:40   #15
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Fair dues to pateam for trying something. There are a lot of ways this could go. Personally I'd guess that in general attacking as a whole will become more spread out (in general I'd guess most alliances will tend towards launching in the early morning, 7-9am, european time). This will make it easier to defend but will also make attack participation easier. It will reward hardcore players who can get online at one particular time to launch. However this no longer has to be 2-5am (if everyone else isn't launching at this time the important thing is just co-ordinating yourselves, not co-ordinating yourselves with everyone else). So overall while it means that hardcore players will be rewarded the definition of "hardcore" becomes slightly softer. Which I reckon is a positive thing. That said with such a small playerbase this could well get warped by just a few people/alliances making certain decisions. We shall see.
Unread 9 Jan 2012, 18:27   #16
Kargool
Up The Hatters!

Kargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet society

I am not convinced either way.

I do think it was a mistake to announce the change of prelaunch AFTER stats had been created. Which again is something I've reiterated time and time again that we need more cohesion between stats and changes to the game.

I do think that this will maybe make the game more fluid, and attacks will happen at more different times now. I remember a time when my old ally used to do noon raids and nobody had any def because all ships were either returning or in defense, so that might be a good idea to try, PA players are really flexible in that respect, the core that is left now are used to having to adapt to changes.
Unread 9 Jan 2012, 19:13   #17
RexDrax
Knightly Protector

RexDrax is a glorious beacon of lightRexDrax is a glorious beacon of lightRexDrax is a glorious beacon of lightRexDrax is a glorious beacon of lightRexDrax is a glorious beacon of lightRexDrax is a glorious beacon of light

I dont know about the rest of you but my biggest issue with the current changes is that it was not really announced so that alliance could plan for it. Speaking on TGVs behalf if we would have known that the PL is being changed we would have planned for it and made certain changes to our strategy and done a few things differently. However since we found out only at sign up and with the time remaining and our RL commitments there was no way we could have made the appropriate changes to ensure our members will have a good fun round.

I dont mind changes being implemented in order to try to improve the game. But if its to occur getting a heads up in a timely manner so people and alliance can make plans/changes accordingly would be nice. Yes I realize that if you announce changes people will debate/post on the forum to death with everyone criticizing any changes/actions the PA team takes so thats the downside. I guess the PA team took what they perceived as the lesser of 2 evils.

Est Sularus oth Mithas
My Honour is My Life, My Life is My Honour
RexDrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Jan 2012, 19:23   #18
Mzyxptlk
mz.

"Planned for it"? What, exactly, needs planning?
Unread 9 Jan 2012, 19:33   #19
RexDrax
Knightly Protector

RexDrax is a glorious beacon of lightRexDrax is a glorious beacon of lightRexDrax is a glorious beacon of lightRexDrax is a glorious beacon of lightRexDrax is a glorious beacon of lightRexDrax is a glorious beacon of light

We knew we would have a smaller members going into the round and we also knew that some of our members used the PL +4-6 attacks at times for attacking. With that being removed getting good coverage on attacks would be more difficult plus we would have set up a few BPs and most likely also approached another alliance to do full attack cooperation so that us and the other alliance that might have difficulties getting attacks coverage adequately would have a greater chance of landing attacks. Things like that which takes time which we didnt have due to the HCs having some RL commitments so the decision was made to not play the round.

Est Sularus oth Mithas
Unread 9 Jan 2012, 20:01   #20
Mzyxptlk
mz.

You display the flexibility of a concrete wall.

"Ok, guys and girls, this round there we won't be able to prelaunch much, so we'll launch at 10pm and/or 8am."

Wow. That was hard. Sure took a lot of planning.
Unread 9 Jan 2012, 20:58   #21
RexDrax
Knightly Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzyxptlk View Post
You display the flexibility of a concrete wall.

"Ok, guys and girls, this round there we won't be able to prelaunch much, so we'll launch at 10pm and/or 8am."

Wow. That was hard. Sure took a lot of planning.

WOW and just like that we go from landing 70%+ of our attacks to landing less than 50% of our attack since so many planets/alliances will have defense ships available to defend which means less roids for us which means slower growth which means we will have to take even smaller targets since we have less ships to build with our roids which leads to us going after smaller gals/planets/alliances. This in turn leads to bigger alliances coming after us and attacking our members and since we have a much smaller growth rate than them they can throw way more ships at us so once again our growth rate is hampered. This cycle would continue for most of the round so our members would not have as much fun playing. Or we will have crappy coverage since people wont be able to launch an attack which means the gal can better cross defend and once again we wont get roids.

Why would I put them through that scenario if instead we find homes for them in other alliances for the round, the command team can take a much needed break from PA to recharge since quite a few of us are exhausted and wouldnt mind a bit of a break and hopefully next round others will want to step up and take on more responsibilities within TGV.

If there was time, there are ways to ensure the above didnt happen, but getting all that setup in 7 days, contact all the members, talking with them, making all the plans and making sure nothing is missed plus making agreements with another alliance is just not possible in 7 days. Yeah I know your going to come back and state 7 days is more then enough time but if you had bothered to read you would know that I stated the HC team has RL commitments which meant we could not be as active in the 7 days leading up to tick 1 as much as we would like so cant plan things out. So instead of half assing it and increasing the potential for a bad round for our members we choose the lesser of 2 evils.

Est Sularus oth Mithas
Unread 9 Jan 2012, 21:25   #22
Monroe

Honestly the solution here is to modify attack times, not to try and force people to wake up at ungodly hours. CT knew nothing of this switch before it was announced and we're going to adjust and move on, as the change effects everyone equally I don't see why the smaller allies are disadvantaged by this change, regardless of the timing, as I state above I think they actually benefit.

#strategy
Unread 9 Jan 2012, 21:54   #23
RexDrax
Knightly Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monroe View Post
Honestly the solution here is to modify attack times, not to try and force people to wake up at ungodly hours. CT knew nothing of this switch before it was announced and we're going to adjust and move on, as the change effects everyone equally I don't see why the smaller allies are disadvantaged by this change, regardless of the timing, as I state above I think they actually benefit.
Modifying attack times is a possibility, the question is do you move it forwards or backwards. If you move attack times forward then you will have to deal with a greater chance of there being defense since most alliances/galaxies will have a good percentages of their ships/fleets home. This means less chance to land.

Moving the attack back would be the best bet. But looking that causes other issues. From past experiences and also from what I know of our members and also knowing their RL commitments (ie some members have asked me to make sure they do not get called/txted at certain hours to come online to send ships because they have babies or are expecting) I know that if I move the attacks back to far we will have issues with coverage. Granted moving attacks back means most alliances/galaxies will have less ships/fleets for defense but if the coverage on the alliance raid is crappy it will most likely translate into no/low roids.

In a perfect world the PL changes would have been announced after Christmas and before new years so that appropriate plans could have been made. IE recruit people to take on certain tasks and team up with another mid sized alliance for attack cooperation so both can benefit from the PL changes.

Est Sularus oth Mithas
Unread 10 Jan 2012, 00:39   #24
Patrikc

Patrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by RexDrax View Post
<..> (ie some members have asked me to make sure they do not get called/txted at certain hours to come online to send ships because they have babies or are expecting) <..>

In a perfect world the PL changes would have been announced after Christmas and before new years so that appropriate plans could have been made. .
After reading that last sentence, I thought you were going to say "so those people could have postponed the due date a couple of months". ^^
Patrikc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Jan 2012, 04:46   #25
Greg
Addicted since R17

Greg has a spectacular aura aboutGreg has a spectacular aura about

Great idea Should be fun having mixed around attack times and not the predictable sms always right in the middle of my sleep,waking up at any other time is great Next round maybe loose that nasty run and hide button so we can steal from lazy players again,they dont really need the ships anyways :P
Regular member of fleet crashing club
“A man's errors are his portals of discovery.”
James Joyce
Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Jan 2012, 06:06   #26
Tiamat101

This is just a stupid thread now. And is no longer about strategy. It's people nitpicking each other go into another forum for that or better yet go to a bar and take it out there.
Unread 13 Jan 2012, 00:21   #27
Psi_K
Canadian to the Core

Psi_K is a jewel in the roughPsi_K is a jewel in the roughPsi_K is a jewel in the roughPsi_K is a jewel in the rough

Removing PL has no effect on strategy, just an effect on your sleeping patterns.
In fact, it should be removed completely.
r18-19 [eXi]
<Intermission>
r31-32 [CT] - r33-35 [DLR] - r36 [VsN] - r37 [???]
r45-46 [FAnG]
Psi_K is offline   Reply With Quote