User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions

Unread 29 Nov 2010, 00:32   #1
galla

galla is an unknown quantity at this point
Is this the worst round ever?

Just my opinion but I think yes. I can't comment on Rounds 1&2 as I only started near the end of rd 2 but having played the rest I don't remember a worse round.

There have been more one sided rounds, there have been worse stats ( wait, I may be wrong there ) there have been rounds with lamer alliance collusion and there have beens rounds with greater technical issues. I simply dont remember a round where everything about the game has failed so miserably.

If people can think of a worse round, remind me, I am old and my memory is failing :-)
galla is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Nov 2010, 00:43   #2
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Is this the worst round ever?

One of the great things about looking at the past through rose-tinted glasses is that it makes everything current suck.

Then again, looking at PA's past through rose-tinted glasses just makes everything look vaguely brownish.
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Mzyxptlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Nov 2010, 09:04   #3
Mistwraith
Bad Girl

Mistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud of

round 5 i think, when spinners bright idea was to make the paralels with the shorter eta's as opposed to the clusters - that was bad!
R11 -> NOW HR HC
(a round history not condusive to suceeding in exams, having a life or much sleep )
I'm not misunderstood ... I'm EVIL
Mistwraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Nov 2010, 09:18   #4
[B5]Londo
Paso Leaute

[B5]Londo has much to be proud of[B5]Londo has much to be proud of[B5]Londo has much to be proud of[B5]Londo has much to be proud of[B5]Londo has much to be proud of[B5]Londo has much to be proud of[B5]Londo has much to be proud of[B5]Londo has much to be proud of[B5]Londo has much to be proud of

... splitting the game into basically 25 different games within the game, but each was still bigger than the game is today, i totally sucked in r5... went on holiday without going into vac and died horribly but i dont remember it as a bad round, it depended on your para, this round has been bad for everyone, unless app enjoyed it.
Unread 29 Nov 2010, 09:18   #5
Makhil

Makhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to behold

With PA these days the worst round is always the next one.
Simply because nobody has the balls to take the right decisions and prefer to keep the dominant powers happy, winning without fighting. For them PA is little more than a Sim planet now.
Unread 29 Nov 2010, 09:25   #6
Paisley
The brother of Spammer

Paisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of light

I blame IMP, CT, and ND HCs for ruining this round for being tactical spastics.
Unread 29 Nov 2010, 09:29   #7
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I have no particular problem with what CT and ND did. They found something to ruin and did it.
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Unread 29 Nov 2010, 09:50   #8
Cain
Awesome

Cain has a brilliant futureCain has a brilliant futureCain has a brilliant futureCain has a brilliant futureCain has a brilliant futureCain has a brilliant futureCain has a brilliant futureCain has a brilliant futureCain has a brilliant futureCain has a brilliant futureCain has a brilliant future

And they have been doing that for how many rounds now?
Unread 29 Nov 2010, 10:47   #9
Paisley
The brother of Spammer

Paisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cain View Post
And they have been doing that for how many rounds now?
Just this one it seems.
Unread 29 Nov 2010, 12:05   #10
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [B5]Londo View Post
... splitting the game into basically 25 different games within the game, but each was still bigger than the game is today, i totally sucked in r5... went on holiday without going into vac and died horribly but i dont remember it as a bad round, it depended on your para, this round has been bad for everyone, unless app enjoyed it.
That was round 4 and it was ****ing awesome. Rounds 5, 7 and 10.5 where we saw one block become utterly dominant with ages ago and the universe become so stagnant that the winning block cannibalised itself would have decent shouts to be the worst round ever. Last round was hardly fantastic either.

Realistically what you're seeing now ingame is just total apathy. Pretty much everyone willing to put time into playing this game has been involved in winning alliances a few times. And most of the people who actually still care about doing well don't have any real alliance affiliation due to the fact so many alliances are only around for one round and then **** back off into the sunset so it's difficult to actually establish yourself.
Unread 29 Nov 2010, 13:15   #11
t3k
The Video Guy

t3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, but riding off into the sunset on the back of a victory was as reasonable a way to head towards the horizon as nothing more than a silhouette as any.

Having not played seriously for as long as a lot of other people here, and never having had a winning alliance (that I wasn't a peon in), I was very much giving it my all last round (for better or worse), and when we won... I realised just now 'not worth it' it was.

PA is just too boring now to put any real effort in. The social aspect is pretty much the only reason people play, so nobody can really be surprised when only a handful of people are actually prepared to try super-hard to gain any kind of personal victory.

I'm glad this round sucks more than last round, as it makes winning that little bit less demeaning, but realistically it's not about to get any better without any expansion in playerbase, which isn't going to happen until the game is marketable again.

This is also why I have high hopes for another up and coming game of a similar nature - it can learn from all of PA's mistakes and hit the ground running, rather than spend years in A&E trying to revive a cold corpse.
Unread 29 Nov 2010, 13:37   #12
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny
PA is just too boring now to put any real effort in. The social aspect is pretty much the only reason people play, so nobody can really be surprised when only a handful of people are actually prepared to try super-hard to gain any kind of personal victory.
I don't think anyone tried super-hard this round. People certainly tried super-hard to avoid having to put in any effort or avoid any risk though so I guess there's that.

I was talking more about players than HC anyways kenny. Effectively HC need to serve the interests of their members and most people seem to be more interested in not getting incs and farming small alliances that they are in a scenario where they've actually got a chance of getting ****ed up. If their HC then take it upon themselves to try and bring this situation about they can't really complain. Truth be told I can understand it. Putting in the hard graft is ****ing hard. And sometimes you will lose anyways and that's just the way it'll go.

But the truth is it's ****ing boring this way. The only problem is that there are enough boring people around who want to keep playing for absolutely meaningless planet ranks that they still form a large part of the core in pa who are actually still active enough to make a difference. It's a lot easier to just recruit people you know will be active, or join the most active group out there, from every perspective. Then you can be active and have a good planet and play with other active people. There's nothing wrong with that either, playing with inactives is ****ing dull as shit. It's just that there's only like 50 actives out there.

Quote:
This is also why I have high hopes for another up and coming game of a similar nature - it can learn from all of PA's mistakes and hit the ground running, rather than spend years in A&E trying to revive a cold corpse.
It'll either suck in the exact same ways or be nowhere near the same game. The best thing about pa was that it was immersive to the point of being ridiculous purely through how competitive and time-intensive it was. If you lose that, and you'll have to because it's a different internet now to 2000/01, it just won't be the same game.
Unread 29 Nov 2010, 14:10   #13
t3k
The Video Guy

t3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyBGood View Post
But the truth is it's ****ing boring this way. The only problem is that there are enough boring people around who want to keep playing for absolutely meaningless planet ranks that they still form a large part of the core in pa who are actually still active enough to make a difference. It's a lot easier to just recruit people you know will be active, or join the most active group out there, from every perspective. Then you can be active and have a good planet and play with other active people. There's nothing wrong with that either, playing with inactives is ****ing dull as shit. It's just that there's only like 50 actives out there.

It'll either suck in the exact same ways or be nowhere near the same game. The best thing about pa was that it was immersive to the point of being ridiculous purely through how competitive and time-intensive it was. If you lose that, and you'll have to because it's a different internet now to 2000/01, it just won't be the same game.
It's the advertising and marketing potential to bring in a much bigger playerbase that I'm most eagerly anticipating, but you're right - it'll probably have as few similarities as it can get away with.

The game would even become a lot more fun if people stopped caring about who wins, and just concentrate on having their own fun. NewDawn and CT did that this round, and decided to make their round about screwing Imp for 'member poaching', and while I disagree with their reasoning you have to applaud them for playing their own game, rather than worry about everybody else's.

This Christmas round should be fun if it goes ahead though, I will probably play that one - but I'll not give a full round another go again short of a complete overhaul.
Unread 1 Dec 2010, 19:20   #14
hAl
ensign forever

hAl is infamous around these partshAl is infamous around these partshAl is infamous around these partshAl is infamous around these partshAl is infamous around these partshAl is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyBGood View Post
That was round 4 and it was ****ing awesome. Rounds 5, 7 and 10.5 where we saw one block become utterly dominant with ages ago
Wasn't round 5 the eastern europe cheaters round ?
Unread 1 Dec 2010, 21:01   #15
Zirikk
Bounce Back Champion, TIE Fighter Shooter Champion, Penguin Bashing Champion, War on Terror Champion, Bugz Champion

Zirikk is a splendid one to beholdZirikk is a splendid one to beholdZirikk is a splendid one to beholdZirikk is a splendid one to beholdZirikk is a splendid one to beholdZirikk is a splendid one to beholdZirikk is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by hAl View Post
R5 was won by Furgion.
Zirikk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Dec 2010, 21:11   #16
Dark-Strider
Reservoir Dog

Dark-Strider is on a distinguished road

I'm sure we get this thread every round. :/
Unread 2 Dec 2010, 13:40   #17
gzambo
Fightin-irish for life

gzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by hAl View Post
hello stranger

"In the absence of orders, find something and kill it."
-Rommel
gzambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Dec 2010, 13:51   #18
HRH_H_Crab
Jazz Maverick

HRH_H_Crab has much to be proud ofHRH_H_Crab has much to be proud ofHRH_H_Crab has much to be proud ofHRH_H_Crab has much to be proud ofHRH_H_Crab has much to be proud ofHRH_H_Crab has much to be proud ofHRH_H_Crab has much to be proud ofHRH_H_Crab has much to be proud ofHRH_H_Crab has much to be proud of

I can't answer this question but I do know that if rounds have been getting successively worse since I last played they must probably all be paying you guys to play now.
HRH_H_Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Dec 2010, 21:37   #19
lokken
BlueTuba

lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistwraith View Post
round 5 i think, when spinners bright idea was to make the paralels with the shorter eta's as opposed to the clusters - that was bad!
No it was necessary in round 4 to stop people from exploiting a bug with cluster allocation, which would have gifted LDK a fortress cluster.
Unread 3 Dec 2010, 19:24   #20
HeimdallR

HeimdallR will become famous soon enoughHeimdallR will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzyxptlk View Post
I have no particular problem with what CT and ND did. They found something to ruin and did it.
Their own alliance ?

If life hands you lemons, drink more tequila

After the game is over the king and the pawn end up in the same box

HA - asc -rdm-asc-VR- #ODDR - APP
Finally retired
HeimdallR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Dec 2010, 20:01   #21
Mzyxptlk
mz.

Not really, no.