User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions

Unread 18 Oct 2013, 09:25   #1
Motti
Just Awesome

Motti has a spectacular aura aboutMotti has a spectacular aura aboutMotti has a spectacular aura about
Removal of vacation mode

As topic states, why not remove this function?

The impression I have of this function, is that it is mainly used just to avoid incommings.

Some might actually use it for actual vacations, but with 7 week rounds, run and hide function, and the sheer penalty you get in lost income with vacation mode. I struggle to see a good reason to keep it?

I believe that it is currently just used by many to avoid being hit - so why keep it?
Motti is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Oct 2013, 09:35   #2
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Removal of vacation mode

Sounds good.
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Mzyxptlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Oct 2013, 10:00   #3
Paisley
The brother of Spammer

Paisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of light

I'm in favour of this
Unread 18 Oct 2013, 11:13   #4
Nitros
Internal Error

Nitros is a splendid one to beholdNitros is a splendid one to beholdNitros is a splendid one to beholdNitros is a splendid one to beholdNitros is a splendid one to beholdNitros is a splendid one to beholdNitros is a splendid one to behold

Sounds good. Or set a higher penalty: Atleast 5 days instead of 3 (or something alike combined with 2 days of anarchy).

[]LCH[] ..lets change history
Nitros is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Oct 2013, 11:34   #5
Patrikc

Patrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant future

Its purpose isn't to penalize anyone, though.

Honestly with Run&Hide there is no need for this anymore.
Patrikc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Oct 2013, 12:50   #6
Connovar
YAAARRGH!

Connovar is a jewel in the roughConnovar is a jewel in the roughConnovar is a jewel in the rough

I agree also
Connovar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Oct 2013, 13:10   #7
[DDK]gm

[DDK]gm has a brilliant future[DDK]gm has a brilliant future[DDK]gm has a brilliant future[DDK]gm has a brilliant future[DDK]gm has a brilliant future[DDK]gm has a brilliant future[DDK]gm has a brilliant future[DDK]gm has a brilliant future[DDK]gm has a brilliant future[DDK]gm has a brilliant future[DDK]gm has a brilliant future

keep it but don't recall fleets that are prelaunched at the target
R10 Eclipse
R10.5-R13 FAnG
R20-23 CT
R23 (CT BG) ToF
R24-R82... CT
[DDK]gm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Oct 2013, 13:31   #8
bass
#starcraft2

bass can only hope to improve

It's a massive joke that it hasn't already been removed. Get to it.
Unread 18 Oct 2013, 15:47   #9
gzambo
Fightin-irish for life

gzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant future

How did i manage a 2 week holiday in greece this summer without going into vacation mode, oh right now i remember my balls have dropped,
Abusing a game feature should be a closing offence and these pussys are using it so they can avoid incoming
Close their chicken shit planets and remove vac mode it's no longer needed with run and hide

"In the absence of orders, find something and kill it."
-Rommel
gzambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Oct 2013, 20:46   #10
AndyMan

AndyMan is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree get rid of it. It has lost it's utility with the other features added since it was introduced and is wide open to abuse.
AndyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Oct 2013, 08:39   #11
BloodyButcher
Propaganda Chief

BloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by [DDK]gm View Post
keep it but don't recall fleets that are prelaunched at the target
Agree. There is no point removing it.

RB Ely MISTU Angel Fusi0n 1up ToF VisioN CT FAnG ROCK
BloodyButcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Oct 2013, 11:36   #12
Kaiba
Valle is my hero

Kaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud of

In the world of smartphones and wifi in hotels and so on there is no need for vac mode anymore. Plus with run and hide you can protect your ships without it. You are better off risking your roids and not vac moding if you are going on holiday anyway and you will still get the income from them whilst you are away.

Vac mode is almost solely used now to avoid incommings, it is abusing a feature of the game just like Dav abused the c200 thing Bitcher, you have been riding that bandwagon for quite a while now so you seem quite hypacritical to be in favour of keeping this.

It should have been removed when Run and Hide was introduced it has no place in the game anymore. New liscence holders of PA remove it now and save the aggro we have with it every round.
Kaiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Oct 2013, 12:12   #13
BloodyButcher
Propaganda Chief

BloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiba View Post
In the world of smartphones and wifi in hotels and so on there is no need for vac mode anymore. Plus with run and hide you can protect your ships without it. You are better off risking your roids and not vac moding if you are going on holiday anyway and you will still get the income from them whilst you are away.

Vac mode is almost solely used now to avoid incommings, it is abusing a feature of the game just like Dav abused the c200 thing Bitcher, you have been riding that bandwagon for quite a while now so you seem quite hypacritical to be in favour of keeping this.

It should have been removed when Run and Hide was introduced it has no place in the game anymore. New liscence holders of PA remove it now and save the aggro we have with it every round.
I dont see the harm in it.
I thought u did not earn anything while in vac mode?
Its not like its a very effective tactic at all.

Unread 20 Oct 2013, 12:52   #14
Forest
Don't make me declare war

Forest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodyButcher View Post
I dont see the harm in it.
I thought u did not earn anything while in vac mode?
Its not like its a very effective tactic at all.
If its not an effective tactic, why bother having it?

I agree with kai, it is used almost certainly to avoid incomings and I don't see a purpose in keeping it
Forest is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Oct 2013, 14:01   #15
BloodyButcher
Propaganda Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest View Post

I agree with kai, it is used almost certainly to avoid incomings and I don't see a purpose in keeping it
Avoiding incs with vac mode is stupid.
Nobody in their right mind does this.
Clearly if a whole allie does this, it looks like abuse, but thet loose out on ALL the res they were suppose to earn

Unread 20 Oct 2013, 14:14   #16
Kaiba
Valle is my hero

Kaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud of

Quote:
Clearly if a whole allie does this, it looks like abuse, but thet loose out on ALL the res they were suppose to earn
Yet you could do this if you had a good enough lead, those 3 days could make a difference politically, or allow you to gather the troop sup and set yourself to prepare for incs.

Ony used vac mode to avoid incs this round, with his roid count he could still have achieved 3rd (probably still will) and has avoided the raid on his galaxy. Everyone moved on whilst he was vacced, if this feature wasnt available then he would have had to face the incs like a man.

With a 30 mill value lead if war was coming to Vikings now they could probably use vac mode (i know its disabled but lets say this is last sunday) to dodge the war and still have the lead when they came out, with stocks still safe, 3 less days to war them, a proper defensive plan in place (players rested for those 3 days so they are fresh to get up and defend), their allies would still be in place trying to kingmake them and the whole preparation by their aggressors would have been wasted.

This is feature is so abusable its shocking, c200 was changed so people couldnt abuse it and its now time to remove vac mode so people cant abuse that either. It has no place in PA nowadays, the fact the PA team disable it in the last week just shows that its main use is for abuse....
Kaiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Oct 2013, 14:42   #17
Paisley
The brother of Spammer

Paisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
You obviously missed the meeting for NFI Air tours in r38.
And folk with 3k+ roids this round have went into vac mode.

+side My gal won R42 because some members of the other contending Gal went into vac mode and the ones that didn't go into vac mode got roided instead of cross deffing each other.

Last edited by Paisley; 20 Oct 2013 at 14:49.
Paisley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Oct 2013, 09:22   #18
ManiacMagic
!!!AMERICA!!!

ManiacMagic is just really niceManiacMagic is just really niceManiacMagic is just really niceManiacMagic is just really nice

never used vaca mode that i can remember, dont see the point ... its a bitch move
ManiacMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Nov 2014, 02:49   #19
bass
#starcraft2

bass can only hope to improve

So last night I had 15+ ND CO inc... I could have vacmoded for less than 24 hours to avoid the whole thing. Instead I went to sleep and lost 1k+ roids........are we starting to see a ****ing problem with this thing?

If I was a rat I would have lost 0 roids and screwed over 15+ planets.
Unread 29 Nov 2014, 07:19   #20
Patrikc

Patrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant future

Congratulations, you have kept your 'honor' at a cost of 1k roids!
Patrikc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Nov 2014, 10:28   #21
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Planets should not be forced out of vacation mode before their 72 tick timeout has ended. The last week begins at tick 1009. When a planet enters vacation mode at tick 937 or earlier, it can be forced out at tick 937 + 72 = 1009, ie, immediately. When a planet enters vacation mode at tick 938 or later, the planet should be forced out on a delay. If it enters at tick 1000, it is forced out at tick 1000 + 72 = 1072.

Alternatively, make it impossible to enter vacation mode 10 days before the round ends but let planets that are already in Hawaii stay. Force planets out 3 days later.

Either of these changes solve this particular problem. I still think vacation mode can be removed entirely, but that's a different discussion.
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Unread 29 Nov 2014, 10:52   #22
Munkee
Dictator

Munkee is a splendid one to beholdMunkee is a splendid one to beholdMunkee is a splendid one to beholdMunkee is a splendid one to beholdMunkee is a splendid one to beholdMunkee is a splendid one to beholdMunkee is a splendid one to behold

Agree.

Vacation mode doesn't seem so important to have now run and hide coupled with structure defence is possible.
Munkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Nov 2014, 13:33   #23
Idler

Idler is a jewel in the roughIdler is a jewel in the roughIdler is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest View Post

If the point of the function is to be able to leave for vacation, then set the timeframe to an actual vacation.

a 5 day minimum sound good to me. If you're genuinely unable to attend the game there should still be an option to safeguard while you are away, at a reasonable punishment.

Just because a few rotten eggs try to abuse the feature does not mean it has no place.

Essentially, if you remove it, you are punishing the players galaxy for having to deal with your idle planet for x amount of days.

"That is not our problem" -> We already have a function to resolve that issue, it doesnt actually have to be a problem, as long as you dont insist on turning it into one for debates sake
Unread 29 Nov 2014, 14:37   #24
Mzyxptlk
mz.

Protecting your planet while you're away from the game is already covered by hiding your fleet. Your roids are far less important. If you're away for, say, a week, you'll continue to be able to mine all of your roids for several days (if you haven't been greedy), then mine a reduced number for the remaining time (after you inevitably get roided). Afterwards, you'll have few roids left, yes, but this also protects you from incomings, allowing you to get back up to size fairly quickly, without having to worry about being attacked.

On a wider scale, entering vacation mode does not actually help anyone else, either. While you're safe in Hawaii, your enemies' fleets will still fly, except now they will hit other planets in your alliance or galaxy. Those planets are more valuable because they are active, unlike yours. All else being equal, it's actually better to keep your planet out of vacation mode and let yourself get roided than it is to enter vacation mode, taking valuable income from you alliance, and redirecting incomings to your friends.

Evidence of this can be seen when you look at the mid-round abuse scenario. Even fat, high ranked planets that enter vacation mode right before they get incomings are hurt more by entering vacation mode than by staying out of it. I was always happy to see a target enter vacation mode before we could get to it. We would still fly out, except on a different target, essentially killing 2 birds with 1 stone. And we'd still get to go back to our original target 3 days later.

Note that the abuse scenario near round end is very different. For that night, you can avoid heavy incomings by entering vacation mode for just a few ticks. This flips the balance, and even if we do keep vacation mode, it should be impossible to be in vacation mode for less than 72 hours. I described 2 fairly simple mechanisms in my previous post.

Last edited by Mzyxptlk; 29 Nov 2014 at 14:45.