User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions

Unread 7 Dec 2011, 18:17   #1
Reincarnate
ToF

Reincarnate is a name known to allReincarnate is a name known to allReincarnate is a name known to allReincarnate is a name known to allReincarnate is a name known to allReincarnate is a name known to all
change to when the round ends

we all know how crazy the last week can be and i know there are a lot of people that are not too fond of this. here is my idea for a different approach.

1) each round last minimum 5 weeks maximum 7 weeks

2) at the start of the round a random number between 1 and 3 is generated by PA and is completely secret

3) if the number is 1 - its 5 weeks, 2 - its 6 weeks and 3 its maximum 7 weeks

4) if the random number generated is 3 then a second random number between 1 and 7 is generated to dictate on which day in the last week the round actually ends

obviously, it would be vital that noone at all knows the actual end date. everyone would be in the same position and maybe it would cause a little change that makes things a bit more interesting.

admittedly, i know almost nothing about coding but in my mind this wouldnt be a big job?
[19:10] <coffee-> dont worry about Reincarnate he is an angry man

R1 - 9 none | R10.5 - 13 [ToF] | R14 [Reunion] | R15-17 [Subh] | R18 - 36 PA vacation | R37 [Evo] | R38 [NFI] | R39 & 40 [ToF] | R41 [Omega] | R42 - 47 [ToF][HC]
Reincarnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Dec 2011, 18:48   #2
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: change to when the round ends

If there's one thing PA doesn't need, it's shorter rounds.
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Mzyxptlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Dec 2011, 18:51   #3
Reincarnate
ToF

Reincarnate is a name known to allReincarnate is a name known to allReincarnate is a name known to allReincarnate is a name known to allReincarnate is a name known to allReincarnate is a name known to all

ok well 7 weeks minimum and 10 weeks maximum, or whateva. the point is to randomise the length.

R1 - 9 none | R10.5 - 13 [ToF] | R14 [Reunion] | R15-17 [Subh] | R18 - 36 PA vacation | R37 [Evo] | R38 [NFI] | R39 & 40 [ToF] | R41 [Omega] | R42 - 47 [ToF][HC]
Unread 7 Dec 2011, 18:54   #4
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Meh. It doesn't seem like this would affect much of anything. But since, yes, it would be incredibly easy to implement (just ask Appoco to roll a die and comment out the code that says how many ticks there are left in the round), I'm fine with it.
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Unread 7 Dec 2011, 18:57   #5
Killeah
Old Skool

Killeah has a spectacular aura aboutKilleah has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reincarnate View Post
the point is to randomise the length.

I like it - things have been, and are too predictable in this game - bring it on
Killeah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Dec 2011, 20:01   #6
t3k
The Video Guy

t3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond repute

I remember back in another game when rounds just kept going basically until everyone got bored and a clear winner was determined.

I can't remember whether I liked that or not.

But rounds don't really need to be any longer, nor do they need to be any shorter. I don't know if I see a need for this when there are so many other things that could genuinely improve the game that are getting overlooked.
Unread 7 Dec 2011, 21:16   #7
Tiamat101

Tiamat101 is a jewel in the roughTiamat101 is a jewel in the roughTiamat101 is a jewel in the roughTiamat101 is a jewel in the rough

I like it. Would greatly mix up the Game. However I'd say go for a window of 6-8 weeks. 7 Seems pretty good as far a timing so adding + or - 1 should be good. More Idea's like this might just make the game a bit more "unpredictable"
Unread 7 Dec 2011, 22:19   #8
Kaiba
Valle is my hero

Kaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud ofKaiba has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3k View Post
I don't know if I see a need for this when there are so many other things that could genuinely improve the game that are getting overlooked.
Although i do agree with this statement...

The likelihood of anything actually being done to improve the game is below zero and i think that is pretty obvious to anyone even remotely paying intrest to these forums so bring on something that mixes it up a little and provides a small twist in the tail to a round. It would mean alliances couldnt always sit back knowing that if they make there move on 1st place at about tick X then they will go past them and not be caught. With this there is a chance the round could end before they make it so they would have to push earlier - but then actually the round goes on a week longer than normal and they have to hold on for dear life.

As Mz said all its needs is some dice to implement and a small code removal - easily done (even for the PA Team)

The more i think about it the more i like this!! Well done Rein
Kaiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Dec 2011, 09:21   #9
HellKicker
Fook Yu
Cell-Out Champion

HellKicker is a jewel in the roughHellKicker is a jewel in the roughHellKicker is a jewel in the rough

Wasn't there a round a while back which lasted longer, like 8-10 weeks, the final round Jolt was in charge or something? How did it pan out post-7th week?

Last edited by HellKicker; 9 Dec 2011 at 19:47. Reason: weeks, not rounds!
HellKicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Dec 2011, 13:42   #10
gzambo
Fightin-irish for life

gzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant future

Think that was rd 30 it lasted 10 weeks if i remember correct , was an awesome rd but that was more to the political situation and the wars than the rd lenght

"In the absence of orders, find something and kill it."
-Rommel
gzambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Dec 2011, 16:20   #11
Monroe
Planetarion Forum Moderator

Monroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud of

I honestly don't see what this adds to the game? How interesting or boring a round ends up being has everything to do with politics and very little to do with precisely how long the round is. Adding this variable to the game just doesn't actually do anything to improve game play, change alliance or player strategies, or draw in new players. Since it doesn't do any of these things why bother?

#strategy
Monroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Dec 2011, 17:47   #12
Light
You've Seen The Light
Speed Cards Champion

Light has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond repute

So you're not fond of the last week antics when it switches from alliance wars to trying to secure #1 planet and galaxy?

So your idea is to implement a secret end date which no-one knows about, which will result in the last week antics spanning over multiple weeks of when it could end?
First shalt thou take out the Holy Pin. Then shalt thou count to three, no more, no less. Three shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, neither count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it.
Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Dec 2011, 18:48   #13
Mzyxptlk
mz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monroe View Post
I honestly don't see what this adds to the game? How interesting or boring a round ends up being has everything to do with politics and very little to do with precisely how long the round is. Adding this variable to the game just doesn't actually do anything to improve game play, change alliance or player strategies, or draw in new players. Since it doesn't do any of these things why bother?
There have been suggestions to fix this. Most notably, killing the notion of fixed length rounds altogether and ending the round when an alliance has had a 20% score lead for 7 days. Appoco didn't like it much though, because it would make the finances less predictable and would get rid of the "6 rounds a year" thing (or was it 5?), so nothing came of it.

And so we muddle on.
Unread 9 Dec 2011, 05:39   #14
Monroe
Planetarion Forum Moderator

Monroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzyxptlk View Post
There have been suggestions to fix this. Most notably, killing the notion of fixed length rounds altogether and ending the round when an alliance has had a 20% score lead for 7 days. Appoco didn't like it much though, because it would make the finances less predictable and would get rid of the "6 rounds a year" thing (or was it 5?), so nothing came of it.

And so we muddle on.
Yeah I guess this makes a certain sort of sense, but I have to agree with Appoco on this one, it's better for the game finances to have a known number of rounds, plus two allies could game things by intentionally kicking members to keep it close so that the round goes on and on and on.

Seriously though, while there is nothing fundamentally wrong with this idea, I just don't see how it helps the game when so many other good ideas would in fact improve the game.

#strategy
Monroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Dec 2011, 08:27   #15
Reincarnate
ToF

because monroe, this is a tiny little change. that is the only kind of change that has any chance of happening, an even then it is a tiny tiny chance.

Unread 9 Dec 2011, 09:41   #16
Mzyxptlk
mz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monroe View Post
Yeah I guess this makes a certain sort of sense, but I have to agree with Appoco on this one, it's better for the game finances to have a known number of rounds, plus two allies could game things by intentionally kicking members to keep it close so that the round goes on and on and on.

Seriously though, while there is nothing fundamentally wrong with this idea, I just don't see how it helps the game when so many other good ideas would in fact improve the game.
The problem, though, is this: if nothing changes (as it hasn't for many rounds now), then the future of PA is certain: decline, decay, death. I don't think anyone believes that PA as it is now will ever grow. To illustrate the decline of PA: never have fewer people taken part in a free round than this time. There are currently 1347 players in the game. The previous free round was r30, which had 1628 players. Before it, round 27 had 2376. Even despite the 200 new players (up from 1118 last round, and 1076 the round before), there are currently 142 fewer people in alliances with 40 or more players than last round (the 40 player minimum is an arbitrary limit I've used for many rounds to objectively separate the wheat from the chaff (though perhaps not entirely reliably)).

Without radical changes, the best we can hope for is stability. As shown, PA is declining and this will continue to happen either until PA is closed, or until radical changes are put through. The problem is that the two are not mutually exclusive (things so rarely are). Even if radical changes are put through, PA might still very well fail.

So, yes, it's understandable that PA Team is hesitant to put through changes that would so directly affect the finances of PA. Appoco does not own PA. For him, this is just an unpaid hobby. For him to radically change PA would be like your neighbour painting your living room bright orange. If lots of people turn out to love the colour orange and would pay to look at it, then you'll thank him. But that is probably not going to happen, so it's more likely that you'll sue him. So it is for PA.

To a lesser degree, the same is true of any other radical change. PA Team get enough flak as it is, and while it is not nearly all unwarranted, that sort of feedback would make anyone think twice before putting their head into the guillotine that is the PA community. The most we can expect from Appoco is pressure on Jagex to do something.

In the short term, radical changes would make the future of PA more uncertain. I understand why that would make people uncomfortable. It it easy for someone like me, without a stake in the future of PA, to say that they should get over it. But ultimately, any uncertainty is good if the alternative is certain death.

(All that said, I agree that this idea is not particularly good, nor particularly bad.)