User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Closed Thread
Unread 18 May 2005, 19:50   #101
Seth Mace
Down Boy - WOOF!

Seth Mace is a glorious beacon of lightSeth Mace is a glorious beacon of lightSeth Mace is a glorious beacon of lightSeth Mace is a glorious beacon of lightSeth Mace is a glorious beacon of lightSeth Mace is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Your Funniest IRC Quote

Nodrog that is indeed a post full of bait towards me (not to mention furthering the whole "peer snob" attitude) - i do hope you didnt spend too long dotting the i's on my behalf btw?

In response to your post, you felt the need to write all of that because i dont use capital "I"'s, i do use a few common shorthands (like "fs", "imo", "tbh" ect) and throw in a few "1"s here and there to speed up things?

I've been posting on various forums for the last 7 years and my experience has taught me a few things. Such as sarcasm fails often and while users may have a different nuance to their writing style, "at the end of the day", all that matters is the meaning behind their message is communicated faithfully.

Also, due to [i]some[i/] readers having an impatient eye, its often best keeping your messages short & sweet, something which i think you could apply to your long paragraphs.
R5: [HR] - [DuH] Triad with [BD] & [UV]
R6: [HR] - [HyB] Alliance with [BD]
R7, R8, R9, R9.5: Nos Wing [HR]
R10: [HR]
R10.5: [HR] - [FYTFO] Alliance with ]LCH[
R11, R12, R13, R15, R16, R17: [HR]
Unread 18 May 2005, 19:54   #102
Yahwe
I am.

Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

soooooooo

so far the forum admin and a dedicated long posting well respected poster have both spent some time trying to help you.
you ignore them both.
I myself pointed out very early on that this type of thread 'simply isn't done'.

you may have reached that point in the evening when the butler quietly leans to you and whispers:

perhaps it is time to leave
Unread 18 May 2005, 19:55   #103
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth Mace
Nodrog that is indeed a post full of bait towards me (not to mention furthering the whole "peer snob" attitude) - i do hope you didnt spend too long dotting the i's on my behalf btw?

In response to your post, you felt the need to write all of that because i dont use capital "I"'s, i do use a few common shorthands (like "fs", "imo", "tbh" ect) and throw in a few "1"s here and there to speed up things?

I've been posting on various forums for the last 7 years and my experience has taught me a few things. Such as sarcasm fails often and while users may have a different nuance to their writing style, "at the end of the day", all that matters is the meaning behind their message is communicated faithfully.

Also, due to [i]some[i/] readers having an impatient eye, its often best keeping your messages short & sweet, something which i think you could apply to your long paragraphs.
get better at internet. quickly.
How the Beaujolais is raining
Down on darkened meetings on the Champs Élysées
Unread 18 May 2005, 19:57   #104
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Exclamation Re: Your Funniest IRC Quote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodrog
Ok, you seriously need to stop posting here
Fixed.
Unread 18 May 2005, 20:00   #105
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth Mace
all that matters is the meaning behind their message is communicated faithfully.
I'd disagree, on an aesthetic level if nothing else. I know that Dante, who is generally regarded as "well balanced", however deserved that may be, places SPAG quite highly when rating posts, and given that it, at the very least, shows a basic courtesy to your fellow posters, to ignore the conventions of a place, especially after they have been made clear, is at the very least rude and might even drift towards the confrontationally hostile.
Unread 18 May 2005, 20:05   #106
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Look.

You made a thread based around a concept - Namely, the posting of IRC quotes/logs) - which simply isn't done here, or at the very least, is frowned upon by most people.

I assume you did not know this beforehand, and people rightly stated their opinions that it was a shit idea.

Where's the beef?

Learn from your mistake, stop bitching in this thread, start posting in other threads, get to know the place, and what's expected of you.

If you don't like the people here, full stop, (Which you seem to be verging on atm.) then I don't know why you're still posting.

If you're not going to make an attempt to fit in, then stop posting here.
Unread 18 May 2005, 20:22   #107
Zh|l
Inquisitor

Zh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

I rarely post on GD, mainly because I am from AD and a Planetarion lad. The few times I have posted on GD haven't been met with hostility however, but for the main part I only post about games/consoles.

I've never felt victimised on GD, but I'm guessing it's mainly because I'm not a common poster and don't try and tell these guys to change. You should probably abandon your attempt to fit in Seth and rejoin AD.

Zhil
[Spore] Executive
[1up]
[Fury]
Inquisitorial Lord Protector of His Emperor's Glorius Empire
[20:19:04] <mazzelaar> I have to say a big up to Zhil - without those 8 def calls you covered we would've been screwed. | r12 End Ceremony
Unread 18 May 2005, 20:27   #108
Marilyn Manson
Gone

What attempt to fit in? He's spent most of this thread rebuking the notion that he should fit in/arguing in favour of some sort of inherent hostility to people who are new here. (Which is bullshit, btw.)

If he was trying to fit in, then we wouldn't be having this discussion. He'd just be another Nantoz or All Systems Go or Big_Horn who was posting normally and without incident.
Unread 18 May 2005, 20:37   #109
Kaal Satori
Armed w/ Nukes

Kaal Satori is an unknown quantity at this point

<Nsd> 2+2=5
<Shto> How many fingers am I holding up?
<Nsd> 4
<Shto> wrong
<Shto> just my middle one
<Nsd> ooh
<Shto>

Last edited by Kaal Satori; 18 May 2005 at 20:45.
Unread 18 May 2005, 20:41   #110
Marilyn Manson
Gone

The thread has kind of 'moved on' three pages after the first post.
Unread 18 May 2005, 20:45   #111
Kaal Satori
Armed w/ Nukes

Very astute of you...
btw did you just give me -1 rep for my post? that's pretty lame.

Last edited by Kaal Satori; 18 May 2005 at 20:50.
Unread 18 May 2005, 20:52   #112
Marilyn Manson
Gone

No. Someone else gave you neg rep. Not that I entirely blame them. I mean, how hard is it to skim some of the rest of the thread to see where the discussion is at, and arrive at the conclusion that, despite the title, this is not really a thread for the posting or IRC quotes, and that it indeed might be pretty disadvantageous for you to post one?
Unread 18 May 2005, 20:53   #113
SilverSmoke
Guy next door

SilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so little

the amount of rep points given or taken is affected by the join date of the person giving out rep and his amount of total posts

so you have to blame some noob like yourself!! LOL

Last edited by SilverSmoke; 18 May 2005 at 21:09.
Unread 18 May 2005, 20:54   #114
Cannon_Fodder

Cannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Since when has most people on GD read the entire thread...
Unread 18 May 2005, 20:56   #115
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Notice my cunning use of the words 'skimmed' and 'some of the rest of the thread'.

You would probably only have to glance at the two previous replies here to get a good jist of what this thread is about.
Unread 18 May 2005, 21:06   #116
Kaal Satori
Armed w/ Nukes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marilyn Manson
No. Someone else gave you neg rep. Not that I entirely blame them. I mean, how hard is it to skim some of the rest of the thread to see where the discussion is at, and arrive at the conclusion that, despite the title, this is not really a thread for the posting or IRC quotes, and that it indeed might be pretty disadvantageous for you to post one?
Disadvantageous? This is an online forum, not a senate hearing. I think you have an overblown estimation of the importance of this thread.

And if being a n00b means actually posting for fun and not looking for excuses to castigate fellow posters, then guilty as charged!
Unread 18 May 2005, 21:13   #117
Yahwe
I am.

Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

i smell a rat.
Unread 18 May 2005, 21:23   #118
Kaal Satori
Armed w/ Nukes

I doubt it. Vultures have no sense of smell.
Unread 18 May 2005, 22:51   #119
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaal Satori
Disadvantageous? This is an online forum, not a senate hearing.
Well thankfully, none of the less 'delicate' members of the forum have ripped the piss out of you as I feared they would.
Unread 18 May 2005, 23:09   #120
Yahwe
I am.

its in the hope he'll stop posting.

his sig makes me go crosseyed

that and he's quite obviously part of this whole HF v GD thing.
Unread 18 May 2005, 23:13   #121
SilverSmoke
Guy next door

SilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so little

Hf?
Unread 18 May 2005, 23:26   #122
Yahwe
I am.

shit

good point, i was trying to remember what the hell it was.

still HF, HR

you get the point? bunch of no hopers writing crap for some reason only they know
Unread 19 May 2005, 04:33   #123
Kaal Satori
Armed w/ Nukes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahwe
shit

good point, i was trying to remember what the hell it was.

still HF, HR

you get the point? bunch of no hopers writing crap for some reason only they know

No actually I am a fervent hoper. For instance right now I am hoping that you will take the time out of your life to express one genuinely positive thought. Deep down I believe you possess some repressed grain of happiness.

But of course I won't be too upset if I'm wrong...
Unread 19 May 2005, 11:31   #124
Yahwe
I am.

i'll be happy when you post something that isn't best described as

'bloody awful'
Unread 19 May 2005, 11:36   #125
Deepflow
Next goal wins!

Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

see, this is the problem with about 80% of "new people" (i can't remember 20% of good ones recently, but i'll let that pass, i've probably just forgotten). I get a very strong sense that they don't lurk, or if they do, they either have hugely subnormal intelligence or are just attempting to troll us good people of the forums.

As far as i can see new people are given a chance, perhaps they aren't given as much leeway as regulars, but its certainly not a case of use being mean.

what tends to happen is, they post shit, someone, or many people, say "that was shit". The next step involves lots of words like "n00b" and "bash" and phrases such as "you think your'e so big". Which, frankly, don't help the situation along.

Its all terribly sad
Unread 19 May 2005, 15:28   #126
Seth Mace
Down Boy - WOOF!

Seth Mace is a glorious beacon of lightSeth Mace is a glorious beacon of lightSeth Mace is a glorious beacon of lightSeth Mace is a glorious beacon of lightSeth Mace is a glorious beacon of lightSeth Mace is a glorious beacon of light

How many times do i have to say the same things for you to understand me?

Yes this post was clearly not suitable for such a forum, i agree with this a long time ago and the only reason i'm still posting here is because i felt the way people went about "advising" me was uncalled for and immature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marilyn Manson
What attempt to fit in? He's spent most of this thread rebuking the notion that he should fit in/arguing in favour of some sort of inherent hostility to people who are new here. (Which is bullshit, btw.)
Thanks for putting words into my mouth and avoiding the main issue!

Most of the advice i've been given to "fit in" has been sarcastic & hostile, so how the f#ck do you think me or anybody is going to respond?

The final point you make here covered a tiny portion of my recent posts and i only really mentioned the new poster issue when an admin commented that the posters name had no effect on things.

Quote:
If he was trying to fit in, then we wouldn't be having this discussion.
ALL im trying to do is explain to people like you, that flaming somebody isnt the best way to give advice on what to post & what not to (mainly because its not healthy for the community at large). I dont believe in this kind of bully tactic, so if im reqired to join the gang and bully others, then no, you wont see me trying to fit in at all.

As i said above, if GD are that picky over their reading material, they should sticky a "Read this before you post" advice thread and it would prevent a lot of threads the regulars dont want.

Anyways, isnt it time to close this thread now?:/

p.s this posts's siggy is dedicated to Yahwe.
R5: [HR] - [DuH] Triad with [BD] & [UV]
R6: [HR] - [HyB] Alliance with [BD]
R7, R8, R9, R9.5: Nos Wing [HR]
R10: [HR]
R10.5: [HR] - [FYTFO] Alliance with ]LCH[
R11, R12, R13, R15, R16, R17: [HR]
Unread 19 May 2005, 15:49   #127
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

We had a "crap threads" sticky once upon a time. Got rid of that though. Maybe a "how to post on GD" thread is in order. All advice and recommendations welcome!
Unread 19 May 2005, 15:51   #128
Vaio
Heh, Leeds !

Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Can someone close this thread and put it out of it's misery ?

Yes, I know he is dead !
Unread 19 May 2005, 16:06   #129
Spiderman

Quote:
Ok, you seriously need to stop posting here until youve got a lot more internet experience under your belt. Maybe you should just limit your internet time to IRC for a while, but if you're determined to incorporate some kind of browser-related activity into your routine, you can find a good web based IRC client here which will let you talk 2 ur m8s within the familiar enviornment of your internet explorer internet browser! And while we're on that subject, I'd also advise you to give serious consideration to the internet chat rooms in which you participate, because you seem to be picking up some bad habits which are going to stand in the way of improving your general online skills. Perhaps you should try idling in some new channels until you get the hang of whats going on, then you can start to pick up some general tips by watching others. There are several popular channels where the level of discourse seems to be vaguely higher than what you're used to, so maybe you can start with something #planetarion and work your way up.

Now, internet forums are an entirely different thing from 'real time chat', so you cant just assume that whatever you've picked up on IRC will translate over to them without modification. For instance, you seem to be using a lot of expressions like 'u', 'any1' and 'i' . Now this kind of thing acceptable is acceptable within some primitive communities on IRC where you dont always have time to type out a long message particularly if you're new to the internet and havent yet learned how to touchtype, but it is generally frowned upon forums based communication, where you are expected to utilize the increased time you have in order to make your messages presentable and coherent. Now if you're using expressions like 'u' because you are genuinelly unable to type full words at a reasonable speed, I would suggest checking out mavis beacon - a program aimed at increasing people's typing speed. Being able to type fast is a very important skill in today's increasingly computerized world, and will certainly increase your career prospects as well as your online reputation. If you look around a forum like this one, you will notice that the majority of posters are very particular about using correct grammer and spelling in their posts, and the ones that fail to do this generally tend to be the ones who are widely disliked.

Like IRC, becoming competent at internet forums is something that requires practice, but this is not the place for you to gain the experience you need. It's like anything really - you have to start small, and only move up a stage when youre ready. There are plenty of forums which would be receptive to your style of communication, such as slashdot or free republic. I'd advise you to use them as 'training grounds' until you feel comfortable moving on.

Anyway, good luck with whatever avenue you decide to pursue. Feel free to message me if you need any more specific advice about IRC or general internet matters - I usually check my PMs here every couple of days, and you can sometimes find me on netgamers as 'nodrog'.
Some of you people have so much frikkin time on your hands.
What's the point? just leave it.

To the new people:

You have to realise that this is all they have. You are disrupting their way of life by using abbreviations such as "u" instead of "you". Can you not see the harm that comes of such crimes??? may God strike you down for your sins - the world is going to come to an end now because someone posted a thread that the gimps dont agree with.

whoop dee.

c u l8r. (Try not to cry because I used an abbreviation).

Quote:
becoming competent at internet forums is something that requires practice
To some people, becoming competent in real life is more important.

Unread 19 May 2005, 16:31   #130
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

NEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriend

oh for the power to kill people over the internet.
[20:27:47] <nodrog-aawy> **** i think my housemate just caught me masturbating
[11:25:32] <idimmu> you are a little piggy arent you
[13:17:00] <KaneED> i'm so closet i'm like narnia
Unread 19 May 2005, 16:34   #131
Spiderman

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWSBOT3
oh for the power to kill people over the internet.
I know!

Unread 19 May 2005, 16:52   #132
MrMighty
Chimping

MrMighty is a jewel in the roughMrMighty is a jewel in the roughMrMighty is a jewel in the roughMrMighty is a jewel in the rough

There's also no need to quote the one-line post directly above you, but perhaps this also is too much like common sense.
Unread 19 May 2005, 16:58   #133
Spiderman

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMighty
There's also no need to quote the one-line post directly above you, but perhaps this also is too much like common sense.
Damn, I'm certain thousands will die as a result

How am I going to live with myself?

HOW ?

Unread 19 May 2005, 16:59   #134
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

NEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriend

we can only hope you can't.
[20:27:47] <nodrog-aawy> **** i think my housemate just caught me masturbating
[11:25:32] <idimmu> you are a little piggy arent you
[13:17:00] <KaneED> i'm so closet i'm like narnia
Unread 19 May 2005, 17:10   #135
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderman
To some people, becoming competent in real life is more important.
Some people already are competent in real life and have no trouble extending this to their virtual surroundings online.
Unread 19 May 2005, 17:45   #136
Spiderman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leshy
Some people already are competent in real life and have no trouble extending this to their virtual surroundings online.
Then I expect they also have a fit and breakdown when someone uses slang in real life, or raises a point for discussion which they don't find interesting, which is extremely sad.

Unread 19 May 2005, 17:53   #137
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Then I expect they also have a fit and breakdown when someone uses slang in real life, or raises a point for discussion which they don't find interesting.
Verbal communication is quite different from written communication and has it's own set of laws. The high speed at which we speak and the inability - or at least to a far lesser degree present ability - to review one's words make slang much more acceptable than in a letter. If you wish to make a more relevant analogy, would you write "I've had proper educat1on lol" in your job application? And if no, why not?

As for raising a non-interesting point of discussion, the reaction relies entirely upon the social environment and status of the conversation partner. On the Internet, there is little to none of either, which means the usual forms of politeness are equally absent. In real life you may be a renowned physicist who gets friendly nods and some replies upon raising a highly uninteresting discussion point, but on the Internet you are a nickname who will be told to remove oneself and expire.
Unread 19 May 2005, 17:56   #138
JammyJim
Godfather

JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

by "remove oneself and expire" leshy actually means "**** off and die"
It's not personal, it's just business.
Unread 19 May 2005, 17:58   #139
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Lack of excrement, fictional detective!
Unread 19 May 2005, 18:01   #140
JammyJim
Godfather

JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

why havnt we done a GD crossword competition before?!
Unread 19 May 2005, 18:03   #141
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JammyJim
why havnt we done a GD crossword competition before?!
**** off and die you faggot.
Unread 19 May 2005, 18:04   #142
JammyJim
Godfather

heh
i had a bet with myself that someone would say 'because its a shit idea you ****tard'

your reply is close enough so i win!
Unread 19 May 2005, 18:08   #143
Spiderman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leshy
would you write "I've had proper educat1on lol" in your job application? And if no, why not?
I sometimes forget that GD is akin to a job application.

Unread 19 May 2005, 18:08   #144
JonnyBGood
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JammyJim
heh
i had a bet with myself that someone would say 'because its a shit idea you ****tard'

your reply is close enough so i win!
I thought I told you to **** off and die, faggot.
Unread 19 May 2005, 18:09   #145
JonnyBGood
Banned

Quote:
You will be 50% less shit starting............now. Go!
Unread 19 May 2005, 18:13   #146
JammyJim
Godfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyBGood
I thought I told you to **** off and die, faggot.

dont make me contact my buddies in northern ireland
Unread 19 May 2005, 18:16   #147
Spiderman

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_horn
i think the lack of common politeness (as i mentioned before to seth in a post on the last page) is a positive thing for people who are willing to think a bit more and [pretencious] "open their mind".
The politenes and social restraints pressuring us in everyday social conversation simply represses your true thoughts and opinions.[/pretencious] i experience it ALL the time when i'm simply to shy to explain to someone why they're a. wrong and b. a complete ****ing idiot........ it's much less so with close friends (again as i said in the former post), and i don't think many people would disagree that you have your most interesting conversations with people who you feel at ease with and those who you consider to keep an open mind (at least to some extent anyway).
I was quite suprised when i first started posting here to see how open people were in criticising each other, but i think it's good. **** being polite, have a rogering good debate about something. of-course people are going to be aggressive at times and needlessly rude, but who cares, just continue talking about what you want to. no-ones going to respect some idiot who simply refutes your comments by calling you a twat (unless they're joking)
Yes exactly!

It seems like everyone around here is scared of posting what they want in "fear" of this rep system.
How else can we develop socially, if not by breaking convention, and being a bit risque.

Give me neg rep if you want, but I will post what I bloody well want (provided it conforms to the GD rules of course) and so should everyone else.
If you don't like it, you can do 1 of 2 things. Spend ages crafting out long grammatically correct replies in the comfort of your chair, with the gift of time, and seem like a gimpton OR, clear off and ignore it and get on with your life.

By all means, throw your opinions into the discussion - but posting crap to appear cool infront of your internet buddies is pretty sad.

Unread 19 May 2005, 18:17   #148
Spiderman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyBGood
You will be 50% less shit starting............now. Go!
Exhibit A

Unread 19 May 2005, 18:19   #149
JonnyBGood
Banned

Better than being exhibit gay lol
Unread 19 May 2005, 18:25   #150
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Quote:
Ignoring the fact that you are avoiding the question, this seems to lean closest to the explanation that it takes you such an amount of effort to write properly, that only for important writings such as job applications, you will put in the required effort to come across as coherent and somewhat intelligent. In what you deem to be less important writings such as forum posts, you refuse to put this effort in, and blatantly display your inability to use language correctly without making any sort of special effort.

This tells us that you are lazy, and/or lack the basic skill to apply the rules of written language naturally. Neither of which speaks on your behalf in regards to real life characteristics behind the on-screen nickname you choose to use.

Edit: Aditionally, if you really care as little as you claim to do about what people say on GD, and keep advocating how your real life is so much better than being on General Discussions, the question arises what you are doing here to begin with.