User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Alliance Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 30 Nov 2004, 05:11   #51
Alki
Drink is Good

Alki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better place
Re: I miss blocking :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas
Hmm, seeing Insomnia in there...should we be flattered?
Insomnia surely havent attacked ND by intention for ages(They might have had some people in the NoS gals we hit) and we've not worked alongside any of thoose allies either But what youre writing is a good indication of how this round is. Id rather have blocks

Wouldnt it be great to have some SET sides Fighting off a huge war??

-Jonas-
obv not, else u wud end up in a situation liek that other game, or like narweet vs vvomm in r9? which u know was bad as u were my gal:P
Unread 30 Nov 2004, 16:12   #52
Razorback
Eclipse High Command

Razorback has a spectacular aura aboutRazorback has a spectacular aura aboutRazorback has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cochese
Hard-coded politics...
Thats a nice idea.
you could set something up like every alliance has 2 warslots.
if you declare on someone you get an eta -1 advantage to said alliance for attacking purpose.
A max of 3 wars can be declared on you,
An alliance you declare on gets no eta advantage to your planets, to encourage them declaring back.
To prevent exploiting, i.e. declaring on someone friendly to take up slots the winner of each "war" is declared after a week, with the winner getting maybe alliance score and the loser losing it.
As a concept you could also prevent bashing with a minimum "size" to declare on and a human admin checking for exploiting and irregularities.

all in all this is a not flawless, 5 minute brainstorming, concept. This would require most or "all" of the players to be in alliances. Total ticktime needs to be adjusted to prevent end of game stagnation. Maybe not a certain ticktime should in such a scenario the goal but a certain score or scoredifference between 1 and 2, this would allow a fluent roundlength and prevent stagnation.

Just some thoughts, this would also allow 2 alliances to cooperate together. Maybe limit wardeclarations even on 2 (depending on shipstats this needs tuning so its not impossible to attack) and only allow the topdog 1 more declared war on them to signalize its special position and giving them a run for their money.
-T&P slogan

Focht
T&P HC
Fury Exec
Eclipse CEO

Stan's muppet
Razorback is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Nov 2004, 16:31   #53
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future

I had quite a good design for hard coded politcs at one point, I will dig it out and start playing with ideas and make a proposal for the Development Discussions forum, however it will probably be quite a large coding job to get it right so don't expect it any time soon.

Round 6-10 NoS member-->NoS junior HC
Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Check out toastmonster.com for crazy illustrations and art
Kal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Nov 2004, 21:47   #54
Jonas
Most unimportant guy...

Jonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond repute

ive suggested it before. War declarations etc.

gl Kal

-Jonas-

Retired
Jonas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Nov 2004, 22:11   #55
lokken
BlueTuba

lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Don't hardcode politics.

It'd be terminally shit
Unread 30 Nov 2004, 22:42   #56
The Real Arfy

The Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razorback
Thats a nice idea.
you could set something up like every alliance has 2 warslots.
if you declare on someone you get an eta -1 advantage to said alliance for attacking purpose.
So with a -1 tick advantage, FI/CO would be seen at eta 6?

I'm guessing here, but your reply to this would probably be "If you're defending while under attack from someone at war with you, you also get -1 eta...", which wouldn't work, because what if someone is hit by two attackers - one with whom he is at war, and one that he is not, does he get the -1 eta bonus?

I think this idea has awesome potential, just pointing out the flaws that I can see
The Real Arfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Nov 2004, 23:37   #57
lokken
BlueTuba

lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I'd say let HC's do what they want when they want.

This round has been quite good, playing standards have improved, and last round, though not great, wasn't too bad either.
Unread 1 Dec 2004, 00:01   #58
Razorback
Eclipse High Command

Razorback has a spectacular aura aboutRazorback has a spectacular aura aboutRazorback has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Real Arfy
So with a -1 tick advantage, FI/CO would be seen at eta 6?

I'm guessing here, but your reply to this would probably be "If you're defending while under attack from someone at war with you, you also get -1 eta...", which wouldn't work, because what if someone is hit by two attackers - one with whom he is at war, and one that he is not, does he get the -1 eta bonus?

I think this idea has awesome potential, just pointing out the flaws that I can see
as i stated in my post this was a mere brainstorming, not the ultimate cancer cure.

To work against that we could maybe give alliance eta a -2 bonus.

As a conclusion we need a bonus "to declare war far" if its not eta related you could add capping boni or individual score boni for attacking a "war target".

Like i said in the first place, thats just spouting some ideas which could create a set of rules for politics which would prevent superstagnation or uberblocks and help to determine a round end before ppl get bored out of their accounts and might never return.
-T&P slogan

Focht
T&P HC
Fury Exec
Eclipse CEO

Stan's muppet
Unread 1 Dec 2004, 03:03   #59
G.K Zhukov
Evil inside

G.K Zhukov is an unknown quantity at this point

PaCrew / Spinner still have not made the shuffle code correct, so I think they should keep their hands of stuff like this, as they will sure fu** it up, Im afraid
G.K Zhukov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Dec 2004, 10:30   #60
Gate
;D!

Gate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razorback
To work against that we could maybe give alliance eta a -2 bonus.
And make it nearly impossible to get through any alliance players, making it harder for newbs?

I like hardcoded politics as an idea; but as said, it needs lots of brainstorming. My suggestion would be increased cap: 25% or maybe more vs. people you're at war with, 20% vs. random, 15% vs. allianceless or something...
Gate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Dec 2004, 14:38   #61
The_Fish
ND

The_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to all

I like that idea a lot Gate. It's about the first good thing you've ever said on forums
Unread 1 Dec 2004, 16:43   #62
Seth Mace
Down Boy - WOOF!

Seth Mace is a glorious beacon of lightSeth Mace is a glorious beacon of lightSeth Mace is a glorious beacon of lightSeth Mace is a glorious beacon of lightSeth Mace is a glorious beacon of lightSeth Mace is a glorious beacon of light

Compared to you fish, gate ownz you at forum posting:P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gate
I like hardcoded politics as an idea; but as said, it needs lots of brainstorming. My suggestion would be increased cap: 25% or maybe more vs. people you're at war with, 20% vs. random, 15% vs. allianceless or something...
That kind of thing is pretty nice idea imo but wud only benifit a few on usual ally gal attacks (unless the gal has lots of enemy ally there).
R5: [HR] - [DuH] Triad with [BD] & [UV]
R6: [HR] - [HyB] Alliance with [BD]
R7, R8, R9, R9.5: Nos Wing [HR]
R10: [HR]
R10.5: [HR] - [FYTFO] Alliance with ]LCH[
R11, R12, R13, R15, R16, R17: [HR]
Seth Mace is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Dec 2004, 17:20   #63
The_Fish
ND

The_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth Mace
Compared to you fish, gate ownz you at forum posting:P
Compared to you Seth, I ownz you at forum posting :P

And to your other point, I guess some people have to take one for the team every once in a while (or for example LCH and HR could declare war on ND and NoS, each taking one alliance, and co-ordinating who they hit)
Unread 1 Dec 2004, 18:32   #64
Razorback
Eclipse High Command

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gate
And make it nearly impossible to get through any alliance players, making it harder for newbs?

Note again that it was 1 suggestion. Giving alliances an -2 advantage doesnt result in "newbs" not getting through. In general a newb wont go through an alliance player as a newb will have prolly a crap fleet, will attack alone (as he is in no alliance) and hence can be owned by galaxy and alliance defence.

The cap idea would be good as i mentioned myself, just that it would be highly unfair to ppl "covering the gal". But im sure solutions can be thought of.
-T&P slogan

Focht
T&P HC
Fury Exec
Eclipse CEO

Stan's muppet
Unread 2 Dec 2004, 05:02   #65
BCEagle

BCEagle is an unknown quantity at this point

What about the time in the round when alliance affiliations are still unknown. How would the code decide when the bonus goes into effect without aiding alliances in finding who is who?
BCEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Dec 2004, 06:00   #66
Lei~
~Gon

Lei~ is on a distinguished road

valid point but maybe you could implement it that ppl can only start war on an alliance they got a crtain high percentage of coords lets say 85% or something.
if they wanna declare war on em theyd have to put in a coord list somewhere and only if it reaches 85% will they be allowed to attack. an ingame arbiter would make this procedure much easier ofc
Lei~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Dec 2004, 10:49   #67
The_Fish
ND

that's open to abuse.
Unread 2 Dec 2004, 10:52   #68
Stifler

Stifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokken
Don't hardcode politics.

It'd be terminally shit
have to agree there!

Former [1up]

Current [Spore]

Returned under the IRC nick BenSwansea
Stifler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Dec 2004, 11:06   #69
lokken
BlueTuba

As fish said, it's open to abuse, not to mention difficult to implement, and quite honestly ruin the fluidity of PA politics permanently.

Keep the debate going though, it's quite an interesting one.
Unread 2 Dec 2004, 12:07   #70
Seed of Chaos
Pr0f3ss10na1 P30n

Seed of Chaos will become famous soon enoughSeed of Chaos will become famous soon enough

I preferred blocking too... it made politics more interesting These forums have been a lot duller without them
Unread 2 Dec 2004, 12:27   #71
lokken
BlueTuba

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyBGood
For a round with blocks to "work" it requires intelligent HC and dedicated players on more than one side.

For a round without blocks to "work" it requires intelligent HC and dedicated players in more than one alliance.

Most, if not all, of the horribly stagnated rounds PA has had can be blamed on one or the other of these factors (usually both as dedicated players gravitate towards intelligent HC). Most people seem to forget that alliances work best under the principle of enlightened self-interest. Keyword enlightened.
This post came to mind instantly, I think it'll help.
Unread 3 Dec 2004, 04:06   #72
Alki
Drink is Good

Alki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better place

he said on forums tbh, not on irc
Unread 3 Dec 2004, 16:38   #73
Gate
;D!

Gate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Sethy got owned \o/
But I still kinda like him
Unread 3 Dec 2004, 19:08   #74
Gate
;D!

Ummm, everyone wins? Now lets go have fun.

And whilst you're at it, what did FYTFO actually mean? I'd always assumed 'FAnG You Tossers F*ck Off', as that's the way in which I'd name an alliance, but apparently that's wrong
Unread 3 Dec 2004, 22:22   #75
Gate
;D!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth Mace
Lol, i canni tell you because Zhukov may use it against me as proof to that HR-LCH nap;(
If you don't tell me, I'll cry!11 And I'll set CleaningMuppet on you. No mashed potatoes are safe, I tell you!
Unread 4 Dec 2004, 03:17   #76
lokken
BlueTuba

Dear Zhukov/Sethmace.

Kindly desist.

Lok
Unread 4 Dec 2004, 03:19   #77
G.K Zhukov
Evil inside

G.K Zhukov is an unknown quantity at this point

Okey, but it was so tempting
G.K Zhukov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Dec 2004, 04:10   #78
Jonas
Most unimportant guy...

Jonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond repute

One thing... Maybe lower cap on allianceless people. Meaning they can have a bit better chance of surviving...

Gate had a good idea there. OMFG

Retired
Unread 4 Dec 2004, 10:13   #79
god113
Ex-Player

god113 has a spectacular aura aboutgod113 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas
One thing... Maybe lower cap on allianceless people. Meaning they can have a bit better chance of surviving...

Gate had a good idea there. OMFG
But if a planet was due to get raped by loadsa waves, they could just leave their alliance and lower the cap So possibly abusable?
Unread 9 Dec 2004, 00:04   #80
Jonas
Most unimportant guy...

and loose the eta??

72h of more incs without def?

Maybe even make Cap 25% until thoose 72h has passed

Retired
Unread 14 Dec 2004, 03:28   #81
hydridia
Stan-hyd

hydridia is an unknown quantity at this point

i was VOM and yes we go crushed quick, why

cos we were f**king stupid and told people we were blocking

btw

blocking sucks

down with blocks
sid did you guys a favour
[MACE-EVE]
[m0o]
[ATUK]

Fochts Badger
Dread's Overlord
hydridia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Dec 2004, 06:28   #82
khaos

khaos is an unknown quantity at this point

What is blocking? (I'm a n00b)
khaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Dec 2004, 12:48   #83
lokken
BlueTuba

Blocking is where 2 or more alliances get together in order to exert a potentially dominant force on the game.
Unread 16 Dec 2004, 03:07   #84
Jonas
Most unimportant guy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydridia
sid did you guys a favour
So unofficial blocks is the answer...interesting

Retired