User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 3 Feb 2008, 17:27   #1
Kenny

Another PC tech question

My mate bought a GTX Ultra to put in his PC. Bless him.

I had to lol though because it didn't fit in his PC and he has had it sitting in a box for 3 months.

I've found an 8800GTX card for £233 on ebuyer, just £80 more than the GT I was looking at previously, so am considering buying it.

So that I don't look like a (complete) tit and make the same mistake I did, how do I know if the card will fit my case?

Note: Length of this card is 275mm
Note: I've chosen the Asus P5KC AiLifestyle Series motherboard
Note: I have not chosen a case yet.

And yes, I am now looking at building the PC myself :P
Unread 3 Feb 2008, 17:41   #2
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Another PC tech question

Buy the GT or GTX, find a case to match, not the other way around.
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Mzyxptlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Feb 2008, 17:53   #3
All Systems Go

All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Why didn't your 'friend' just take it back to the shop?

Or sell it on E-bay?

Or sell it to you?
The 20th century has been characterised by three developments of great political importance. The growth of democracy; the growth of corporate power; and the growth of corporate propaganda as a means of protecting corporate power against democracy.
All Systems Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Feb 2008, 17:58   #4
All Systems Go

All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Oh, if you do happen to buy a card and it doesn't fit. Make sure you make an estimate to see if the size fits before taking the card out of it's plastic wrapping.
The 20th century has been characterised by three developments of great political importance. The growth of democracy; the growth of corporate power; and the growth of corporate propaganda as a means of protecting corporate power against democracy.
All Systems Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Feb 2008, 20:37   #5
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Cases will have internal dimensions listed.

For what it's worth, a 8800GT fits inside an Antec P182 perfectly happily.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Feb 2008, 10:50   #6
Kenny

Quote:
Originally Posted by All Systems Go
Why didn't your 'friend' just take it back to the shop?

Or sell it on E-bay?

Or sell it to you?
Well as soon as he'd bought it (for about £400 brand new) he took it home and tried to install it, failing miserably. That made me laugh simply because he was being so arrogant about having the best card... ever!!!!!1111 and having spent so much money on it etc.

Not to be out-done, he kept the card insisting that he was going to buy a whole new computer to put the card in. Only, he couldn't afford one because of how much he'd spent on the Ultra. Ahahahahahaha.

So yeah, after laughing so hard at him it is imperitive that I don't make the same mistake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrL_JaKiri
Cases will have internal dimensions listed.

For what it's worth, a 8800GT fits inside an Antec P182 perfectly happily.
Still think I should get the GT eh? :P

And I'm merely concerned that while the case may be big enough to contain the graphics card, the card would sit high on the motherboard I have chosen and therefore be obstructed by the optical drives/HDDs I've opted for.
Unread 4 Feb 2008, 12:24   #7
Alki
Drink is Good

Alki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better place

wow, competing over graphics cards, isnt life just worth living
Unread 4 Feb 2008, 12:51   #8
Kenny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alki
wow, competing over graphics cards, isnt life just worth living
Alki, you're not normally this clueless. Are you feeling ok mate?
Unread 5 Feb 2008, 03:12   #9
Monroe
Planetarion Forum Moderator

Monroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud of

Usually (though not always) the size of the case is not the problem but whether the card is AGP, PCI, or PCI express. Make sure whatever card you get matches the slot you have available on your mother board and 95% of the time your good to go. The other advice in this thread is also good.

#strategy
Monroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Feb 2008, 12:20   #10
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I doubt you could find a motherboard which supports the 8x00 series C2D processors and AGP.

Physical size is a significant issue, though; graphics cards are getting bigger and bigger and bigger, we're at or around Voodoo5 6000 levels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny
Still think I should get the GT eh? :P
I have an 8800GT and a P182, ergo...
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Feb 2008, 15:44   #11
djbass
mmm.. pills

djbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond repute

I'll have no whinging about card sizes till you've installed a full length ISA card.