User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions

Unread 12 Sep 2008, 06:53   #1
HaNzI
Apprime Troll HC

HaNzI has a spectacular aura aboutHaNzI has a spectacular aura aboutHaNzI has a spectacular aura about
Login question

I was thinking about why we have this immensely stupid login question.

to be short: why?

i know this was implemented when there was dinosaurs and stuff around but i dont really see why we need this _shit_ anymore
Everyone hates it and its the first thing new players gets annoyed by when signing up.
HaNzI is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Sep 2008, 11:11   #2
MrLobster
Commander in Briefs!

MrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud of
Re: Login question

/signed

But its to stop bots of course.

Also why not just have 5+2 instead of 51+85, yeah maths isnt hard, but at 5 in the morning I cant even speak let alone count.

"he's got a proven track record when it comes to showy art composition" - Tommy

<Sigi> Light: can I ask u how many open internet-windows u always have?
<MrLobster|PM> i have 2, the pa page, and the website for naked light pictures
<Ave> both has bad gfx
MrLobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Sep 2008, 11:23   #3
Hosie
Look its a useless rank.
Stuart's Xtreme Skateboarding Champion

Hosie is a name known to allHosie is a name known to allHosie is a name known to allHosie is a name known to allHosie is a name known to allHosie is a name known to all

Start > Programs > Accessories > Calculator

Its not hard.
Hosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Sep 2008, 15:54   #4
Makhil

Makhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to behold

if someone needs a calculator to access a game he paid for, there's something wrong.
I agree the math should be very easy (some questions already are).
Unread 12 Sep 2008, 16:01   #5
Cochese
Retired

Cochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond repute

or better yet, the "type this word in" stuff that's much easier

Utterly useless since r3
Cochese is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Sep 2008, 18:14   #6
HaNzI
Apprime Troll HC

HaNzI has a spectacular aura aboutHaNzI has a spectacular aura aboutHaNzI has a spectacular aura about

its more like there is no point on having a question at all. no other games ive played have a login question.

and what can a bot possible do ingame that will be so wrong?
Unread 12 Sep 2008, 18:42   #7
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

The current captcha is utterly retarded.
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Mzyxptlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Sep 2008, 19:12   #8
Phil^
Insomniac

Phil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaNzI View Post
its more like there is no point on having a question at all. no other games ive played have a login question.

What makes you think people will restrict themselves to one bot?
As for what would be so wrong - well for starters you could have an effectively unlimited number of farms, support planets, def whores etc. The only limitation would be how well your 'command and control' could manage them all.
Seriously, have a good think before you ask silly questions next time, it will save you the time and stop you looking silly.
Unread 12 Sep 2008, 19:42   #9
HaNzI
Apprime Troll HC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil^ View Post
What makes you think people will restrict themselves to one bot?
As for what would be so wrong - well for starters you could have an effectively unlimited number of farms, support planets, def whores etc. The only limitation would be how well your 'command and control' could manage them all.
Seriously, have a good think before you ask silly questions next time, it will save you the time and stop you looking silly.
Yes, but this only proves that the MH must clearly be retarded then if they fail to discover an unlimited number of farms and support planets!
And what is the difference between 99-48 and 1+2 for bots, if they "know how to count" then it might aswell just be something silly like 124134*146,67

And why not ask silly questions when there is always someone who is so beyond silly like urself, that they just have to use silly words like silly.
Unread 13 Sep 2008, 10:43   #10
Phil^
Insomniac

Phil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
Yes, but this only proves that the MH must clearly be retarded then if they fail to discover an unlimited number of farms and support planets!
Why should they even be placed in a position where they have to?
Would you like to manually investigate and close an infinite number of planets at a rate which far exceeds what you can cope with? Signups can be automated as well you know?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaNzI
And what is the difference between 99-48 and 1+2 for bots, if they "know how to count" then it might aswell just be something silly like 124134*146,67
Context.
writing something that turns what humans consider simple characters to read into something that the bot can understand is the tricky part. Once thats done it doesnt matter how simplistic or how complicated the question becomes ( although granted, the longer it is, the higher the probability of errors occurring with the parser ). The problem in such parsers is entirely context; just what is the question asking and how to approach answering it.
Currently, 99-48 isnt too strenuous for humans to do anyway, consider it mental stimulation to get what few braincells are left, firing

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaNzI
And why not ask silly questions when there is always someone who is so beyond silly like urself, that they just have to use silly words like silly.
Unread 13 Sep 2008, 10:46   #11
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil^ View Post
writing something that turns what humans consider simple characters to read into something that the bot can understand is the tricky part.
"Click on the picture of the cat".
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Unread 13 Sep 2008, 12:21   #12
HaNzI
Apprime Troll HC

Well personally i dont struggle with the questions, but 99-48 can be a pain in the ass for a lot of people
make them even harder for all i care!

point is it seems pointless! atleast explain why you have this login question by simply writing "This feature is implemented to avoid experienced bot-abuse in the game" or something similar! No offence killmark!

i like Mzyxptlk`s suggestion though! it has potential. lets say you have to click on the cat and when you click on it you have to read about the cat, and not proceed until you have clicked on "i have read and accepted the main purposes of the cat"

just to make the stupidity a bit more stupid, but yet so much more interesting then numbers!
Unread 13 Sep 2008, 15:55   #13
VenoX

VenoX has a brilliant futureVenoX has a brilliant futureVenoX has a brilliant futureVenoX has a brilliant futureVenoX has a brilliant futureVenoX has a brilliant futureVenoX has a brilliant futureVenoX has a brilliant futureVenoX has a brilliant futureVenoX has a brilliant futureVenoX has a brilliant future

I like the login question, it makes me feel like there's a purpose to me playing this god forsaken game, im improving my mental arithmetic! Im even going to stretch as far as to say thats its a feature that adds a certain depth to the game itself!
Unread 13 Sep 2008, 16:17   #14
GReaper
The BOFH

GReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant future

I think someone lost the plot with these bot questions, they seem reasonably easy enough for someone with a bit of coding knowledge to crack them because they're nowhere near random enough. The lines on each image always stay in the same place and the letters are never distorted.

Either make them easier or add some probability so that not everyone has to deal with the CAPTCHA every 2 hours. If a planet only logs in a few times a day they shouldn't need a CAPTCHA, upgraded accounts should be treated slightly better than free accounts with fewer questions. Maybe something similar to Gmail, where their system forces you to login and solve an image if your account shows suspicious activity due to using tools which you shouldn't be using. Multihunters could set a flag on a planet showing suspicious activity which gives them more bot stopping questions.

Throw your customers a bone instead of keeping the login question as it stands which treats everyone with suspicion.
GReaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Oct 2008, 22:20   #15
Cronix

Cronix can only hope to improve

the math questions aint as bad as the "what is the capital of Congo?", questions.... :P so just remember it could be worse.... :|
and also could be alot easier (please ffs)

Apprime HC
Cronix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Oct 2008, 02:38   #16
Bubert Samson
Come Closer, I Have Candy

Bubert Samson is a jewel in the roughBubert Samson is a jewel in the roughBubert Samson is a jewel in the roughBubert Samson is a jewel in the rough

At least with the math ones, you can actually answer every one it presents, I remember when they did bother to distort it and manage to cut out half the question...

Keep it the way it is, its better to have to pull out the calculator at 5am than it is to google.

[ROCK] || Conspiracy Theory || Ascendancy

Rounds Played: 3-9 16-19 23-33

I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity.
- Edgar Allan Poe
Bubert Samson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Oct 2008, 06:32   #17
Cooling
Tilting at windmills

Cooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

I've been on about this problem for years.

I can't be bothered playing a game that won't let me login half the time because I get the captcha wrong.

It should be changed to 1 + 1 = ?

Stop all this scaremongering nonsense about smarter bots.

Most of the thousand or so people who play this game are complete morons who couldn't boil a kettle, let alone code a bot.
Unread 12 Oct 2008, 14:59   #18
Phil^
Insomniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooling View Post
Stop all this scaremongering nonsense about smarter bots.

Most of the thousand or so people who play this game are complete morons who couldn't boil a kettle, let alone code a bot.
they dont have to all code a bot, it only needs one person to make one - that others simply use.
its not like you coded your irc client from assembler now is it, or that everyone in every alliance codes their own scan parsers, fleet calcing tools, irc bots, etc.

There are plenty of people in the community who are capable of making a bot to do this also. Its not a hard thing to do once you get rid of the bot stopper problem; quite trivial infact. It wouldn't take me more than a week to come out with something functional if i put my mind to it
Unread 12 Oct 2008, 15:06   #19
Ave

Ave is a glorious beacon of lightAve is a glorious beacon of lightAve is a glorious beacon of lightAve is a glorious beacon of lightAve is a glorious beacon of lightAve is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLobster View Post
/signed

But its to stop bots of course.

Also why not just have 5+2 instead of 51+85, yeah maths isnt hard, but at 5 in the morning I cant even speak let alone count.
Unread 12 Oct 2008, 15:47   #20
Mzyxptlk
mz.

Now if only the PA captcha was not a complete joke. You might as well not have it at all.
Unread 12 Oct 2008, 16:42   #21
Veedeejem!
Hibernating

Veedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Time for an ancient history lesson?

Killmarks bot army attack r6: http://www.superstardom.org/planetar.../botusage.html

Killmarks bot army defence r7: http://www.superstardom.org/planetar...otdefence.html

[ToF] - [eXilition] - [Rock] - [Denial] - [DLR] - [eVolution] - [ODDR] - [HR] - [Ultores] - [Apprime] - [Ironborn]
Veedeejem! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Oct 2008, 13:28   #22
Alki
Drink is Good

Alki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better place

Its true. Munin played all of our accounts last round.
Unread 30 Oct 2008, 17:01   #23
Judge
Doh!

Judge is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alki View Post
That explains a lot

Judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Oct 2008, 17:11   #24
Hunterrrr
Blah Blah Blah

Hunterrrr has a spectacular aura aboutHunterrrr has a spectacular aura aboutHunterrrr has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alki View Post
Didnt put too much effort in yours :P
Unread 30 Oct 2008, 20:01   #25
qebab
The Original Carebear

qebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzyxptlk View Post
Now if only the PA captcha was not a complete joke. You might as well not have it at all.
As an experiment a couple of months back, I downloaded a good few samples of the captcha, to see if I could write a computer program that broke it reasonably often.[1]

It didn't take me very long to write a program that got it right about half the time (11 out of 25 samples, I think), and I didn't bother improving it. There is a lot of good OCR software out there, some of which I think can be used if you 'clean up' the text, which is pretty easy because the are so few irregularities in it. Distortion is hard to deal with, I think, but when the text is simply tilted and there are scanlines in it, it's that hard to clean it up. Applications like ImageMagick and libraries like the PIL makes the capcha pretty easy to break.

In other words, the security the botstopper offers is not that good. It's better than nothing, but if someone is good enough to write an undetectable and clever botnet, they'll probably be good enough to break the captcha too.

[1] I've heard that this has been done a few times before. It was not trivially easy, but it wasn't so hard that you'd need to be an expert computer programmer to get it right.

Oh crap, I might be back. I should take my own advice.
qebab is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Oct 2008, 21:12   #26
Zeyi
Tides of Fire

Zeyi is just really niceZeyi is just really niceZeyi is just really niceZeyi is just really niceZeyi is just really nice

Although never having written bots for planetarion, I have written automation programs for other online games. Mainly for educational purposes or for profit (I see no actual point in cheating a game, go ahead call me a hypocrite for making them).

One thing it has taught me is CAPTCHA is generally more harmful to legitmate users than it is to the people who bot, because they simply move onto new games are find ways around them. In the case of an online game which threw random CAPTCHA words at you every 5-10 refreshes we found the best course of action was to have the bots upload the image to our server then link to it in an IRC chat room offering incentives to those who helped complete them.

I'm not going to go into specific details, since I don't want to give anyone too many ideas. However the point is simple, any antimacro system is bypassable. The main thing is finding a point where the system is causing least possible harm to legitimate players and maximum harm to bots. In PA's case there are, afaik no bots. However none of the players like the CAPTCHA codes either, so I'd certainly say it would be ideal to change to either simpler maths or a simpler alternative.

.... That was a long winded post to say something rather simple, so anyone who can't be arsed to read it basically:

In the interest of the players make it easier.
Unread 31 Oct 2008, 01:12   #27
Mzyxptlk
mz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeyi View Post
they simply move onto new games
Sounds like an excellent outcome to me. Too bad there aren't any botnets.
Unread 31 Oct 2008, 01:47   #28
wakey
Hamster

wakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

The capture as it is now is a joke. When it was first implemented it was done well, the questions were simple but importantly they required logic to answer them. You can generally code an OCR bot with ease but allowing it to have the logic to answer even simple questions is tough.

However there wasnt many of these and the answers could have been recorded so it was deemed that more questions were needed. Rather than keep the logic puzzles up they went to random questions, often questions with answers hard to type, with multiple ways of answering or which required research done to get in.

These eventually went away and now we are left with math questions. Questions which a bot thats running on whats basically a supercharged calculator can do with no effort. Its harder for humans to login than a bot.

Protection against bots is needed but the method needs rethought as this way prevents more humans from playing than it ever would bots
The Farnborough Crew
Cos anything else is just an alliance
Join our public channel at #f-crew
wakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Oct 2008, 08:32   #29
cha^
King of EMO

cha^ is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cochese View Post
or better yet, the "type this word in" stuff that's much easier
Signed. If you dont want to remove it, type in word system would be alot faster. Now we have to make our little heads go BOOM with the calculation.

Schools over boys!
Unread 31 Oct 2008, 16:24   #30
GReaper
The BOFH

GReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by qebab View Post
It didn't take me very long to write a program that got it right about half the time (11 out of 25 samples, I think), and I didn't bother improving it.
I'd bet that's probably higher than the success rate of real people logging in!
GReaper is offline   Reply With Quote