User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions

Unread 20 Dec 2009, 02:15   #1
Light
You've Seen The Light
Speed Cards Champion

Light has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond repute
Guess How Many Support Members Will Help Newbies This Round

This is a competiton open to everyone who plays PA.

Guess how many support members will post guides or tutorials on how to play planetarion this round? If you look at any other game in any genre, you'll notice there forums are full of guides on how to do things, so while PA has a busy support team of over 15 members (yet, none are online at night).. i'd like to invite you to guess on how many of them can be arsed to help newbies and take the time to write guides to PA.

Most fun answer wins a credit from Light. Fiery is not allowed to win the competion, as she's never once written a help guide in all her support career.. yet she's head of the support team.
First shalt thou take out the Holy Pin. Then shalt thou count to three, no more, no less. Three shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, neither count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it.
Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Dec 2009, 03:50   #2
Knight Theamion
Miles Teg

Knight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Re: Guess How Many Support Members Will Help Newbies This Round

She also doesn't know how to play the game.

My bet is 0.
I will give you my coords later. My R/P will most likely be something like
Frag of Ato Issen Hamustas.
Unread 20 Dec 2009, 08:21   #3
MrLobster
Commander in Briefs!

MrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud of

It will take 1 person to write it, and 14 people to spell check it.

"he's got a proven track record when it comes to showy art composition" - Tommy

<Sigi> Light: can I ask u how many open internet-windows u always have?
<MrLobster|PM> i have 2, the pa page, and the website for naked light pictures
<Ave> both has bad gfx
MrLobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Dec 2009, 08:39   #4
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

One. I'm an optimist.
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Mzyxptlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Dec 2009, 11:26   #5
Kargool
Up The Hatters!

Kargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet society

I'm guessing 0, since they rejected me as a support team member!
Unread 20 Dec 2009, 11:32   #6
isildurx

isildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond repute

I'm gonna guess 2.
Someone accept me to support team so I can write two guides please.
Unread 20 Dec 2009, 12:00   #7
CrazyDude

CrazyDude is an unknown quantity at this point

i was tempted to say 1 but im not that Optimistic, so im gonna say 1/2 as i think they will start to write it just to prove a point, then get bored 1/2 way and stop
CrazyDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Dec 2009, 12:04   #8
t3k
The Video Guy

t3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond repute

Twister.
Unread 20 Dec 2009, 12:40   #9
Munkee
Dictator

Munkee is a splendid one to beholdMunkee is a splendid one to beholdMunkee is a splendid one to beholdMunkee is a splendid one to beholdMunkee is a splendid one to beholdMunkee is a splendid one to beholdMunkee is a splendid one to behold

Ill post some guides on this forum so you can all rip it apart as being shit but alas they will be there for people to read.
Munkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Dec 2009, 17:31   #10
Crantor
Nice to be Loved

Crantor has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I'm betting
15 help newbies pay for their account
14 help newbies find an alliance
13 help newbies with a tic plan
12 help newbies with a ship plan
11 help newbies with a bp
10 help newbies with battle tactics
9 help newbies understand the bcalc
8 help newbies understand def tactics
7 help newbies with forums
6 help newbies read the universe links in game
5 help newbies with sandmans
4 hellp newbies build a def fleet
3 help newbies find an admin
2 help newbies with the users manual
1 cry because of lack of support of newbies
0 have the time to write a help article
-1 cares

and a partridge in a pear tree

Merry Christmas and happy PA to all

4D
H-A
Denial
ODDR
ROCK - FOREVER
Crantor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Dec 2009, 17:44   #11
SantaCruz
I've been around

SantaCruz is a splendid one to beholdSantaCruz is a splendid one to beholdSantaCruz is a splendid one to beholdSantaCruz is a splendid one to beholdSantaCruz is a splendid one to beholdSantaCruz is a splendid one to beholdSantaCruz is a splendid one to beholdSantaCruz is a splendid one to behold

I bet that someone will write one now. They will just put it somewhere the newbies wouldn't know where to look, without a guide to find it. It will take another 35 rounds for the guide to find the playing guide.

Last edited by SantaCruz; 22 Dec 2009 at 03:25.
SantaCruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Dec 2009, 18:07   #12
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Oh dear god, it hurts just to think of the concept "round 70".
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Unread 20 Dec 2009, 19:04   #13
Cochese
Retired

Cochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond repute

lol

Utterly useless since r3
Cochese is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Dec 2009, 08:19   #14
MrLobster
Commander in Briefs!

MrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzyxptlk View Post
Oh dear god, it hurts just to think of the concept "round 70".
So in other words you addicted and will still be playing then...

"he's got a proven track record when it comes to showy art composition" - Tommy

<Sigi> Light: can I ask u how many open internet-windows u always have?
<MrLobster|PM> i have 2, the pa page, and the website for naked light pictures
<Ave> both has bad gfx
MrLobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Dec 2009, 08:46   #15
Mzyxptlk
mz.

I can now confidently say that I'm not addicted to PA. The only reason I'm still here is because there's a lot of people I like. So yeah, I'll be here for round 70, but not for the game.
Unread 28 Dec 2009, 16:11   #16
[JungleMuffin]
Apple Hunt Champion, Super Hacky Sack Champion

[JungleMuffin] has a spectacular aura about[JungleMuffin] has a spectacular aura about[JungleMuffin] has a spectacular aura about

MY RP WILL BE, HELLO, I AM JUNGLEMUFFIN, AND MY ALLIANCE (APPRIME) WON PA LAST ROUND, AND ASCENDANCY THE GOATMASTERS, DID NOT.

FU FOREVER GOATMASTERS.

^^^^ Can you blv that sh*t?
[JungleMuffin] is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Dec 2009, 16:15   #17
[JungleMuffin]
Apple Hunt Champion, Super Hacky Sack Champion

[JungleMuffin] has a spectacular aura about[JungleMuffin] has a spectacular aura about[JungleMuffin] has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzyxptlk View Post
I can now confidently say that I'm not addicted to PA. The only reason I'm still here is because there's a lot of people I like. So yeah, I'll be here for round 70, but not for the game.
The only reason you arent addicted, is because you play a semi active, non competitive planet.

Play for the win, and youll be singing a different song.
^^^^ Can you blv that sh*t?
[JungleMuffin] is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Dec 2009, 19:35   #18
Mista

Mista is an unknown quantity at this point

mz would just mess up horribly (at the last tick) were he ever to be near top100

topic: A wiki for the help pages would be nice. (also a place for guides?)
Mista is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Dec 2009, 19:57   #19
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

mz has actually finished t10. He didn't care about his planet then either. Some good begging the question from JM though...

"If you invest more time in the game you'll care more about what happens!!!"
"Yeah but my point is I don't want to invest more time in the game."
"But if you invest more time in the game you'll care more about what happens!!!"
"..."

Realistically the manual needs to be shorter. The first thing you see is just a wall of text. You have to be able to explain the game quickly, nobody wants to read a ****ing book to find out how to play a stupid browser game.
Unread 31 Dec 2009, 15:32   #20
Crantor
Nice to be Loved

Crantor has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by
Realistically the manual needs to be shorter. The first thing you see is just [url=http://game.planetarion.com/manual.pl
a wall of text[/url]. You have to be able to explain the game quickly, nobody wants to read a ****ing book to find out how to play a stupid browser game.

I agree that a new player needs a quick summary of all the basic features to understand the basics so potential or new players can either determine if they would like the game or how to get started. That only requires short explainations for each feature and an overall concept of the game.

That said

Over time (one, two, however many rounds) a player picks up a lot from other players and eventually from an alliance. That doesn't fill all the voids for information. Certain things are learned by experience but some things are discovered by accident. That discovery might well be for a subtlety that is important but overlooked by more experienced players because they know it.

I used to tell employees not to expect everyone to have the background and exposure to a job that they had and just assume the other person knows something. Just because their experiences taught them certain aspects of a job doesn't mean everyone has had the same exposure and thus the same knowledge.

The same holds true here or anywhere else. A more detailed explaination of any or all aspects of the game can be quite valuable to players wanting to live, eat and breath PA. Not everything is obvious. Give the more dedicated players more information.

Naturally this leads to one very serious issue, detailed information becomes very out of date fast for any activity with constant change like PA. If the manual can't be maintained and kept up with the game then it is more a liability than a help. I'd love to see more information about features (that I generally find out about by accident) of the game, realizing that tomorrow it will likely change and what I read may actually hurt rather than help.

Give us an overview. Give more information where possible but only if updated as needed. Wrong information is a lot worse than no information. Unfortunately if we don't know what we are missing then we don't know to ask for help on what we are misssing.

People who don't know that they don't know are dangerous.

4D
H-A
Denial
ODDR
ROCK - FOREVER
Crantor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Jan 2010, 01:38   #21
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I've been updating a lot of the PA wiki recently. Given the er, lack of response from anyone on here, perhaps people would like to help out on there again? I was going to try and update the soapbox again for this round and maybe if people are willing to write up what they know on there we'd be able to create a more useful resource for new players to PA.
Unread 5 Jan 2010, 02:17   #22
Aryn
Happy

Aryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond repute

we need a 'like' button on here. JBG i'd help but i've only recently come back and the game is a little different. it's a great idea though i hope some people help you with it.