User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion > Hardware and Tech Support

Unread 23 Apr 2003, 17:02   #1
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend
MS word & wordpad crash

Since yesterday both my microsoft word AND wordpad (the standard thing in Windows) crash when I start them up. An access violation occurs (null pointer).
I've tried several things today to solve the problem:

- repair office
- reinstall office
- Upgrade office 97 to office XP
- copy wordpad.exe from another OS
- did a virus scan
- did a disk scan

None of this helped. I searched google for a possible solution, but I found nothing.

Before I resort to doing an OS repair (Windows 2000 Server), what else could I try to fix this?
Structural Integrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Apr 2003, 17:31   #2
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend
Problem probably located:

I have found a description of my problem here: http://bizforums.itrc.hp.com/cm/Ques...7a778c,00.html

Three posts down it tells that his is probably a macro problem. So, I renamed all files named "normal.dot" to "normal_.dot", and guess what. Wordpad runs fine again.

Going to reinstall office now, and see if the problem arises there.

[edit]
Office XP installed, no problems... new "normal.dot" files have been placed.

[/edit]

Last edited by Structural Integrity; 23 Apr 2003 at 17:37.
Unread 23 Apr 2003, 23:31   #3
Luckeh!!!!
-=Murderous Plush Toy=-

Luckeh!!!! will become famous soon enoughLuckeh!!!! will become famous soon enough
it is an MS product feature.
Luckeh!!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Apr 2003, 20:39   #4
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

damned product features...

It happened again today. So I deleted the normal.dot files again. But for some reason it didn't react to that. I read that page where I got the macro solution and re-enabled my network card, which was disabled because my brother has been naughty and he isn't allowed to interweb.
So, I enabled my card, started my word, and guess what..... no problem..... it ran just fine.
So, this whole thing is connected to my network card.
If MS decides to pull any more of these funnies (or product features) on me they better document it in a place where I can easilly find it!
Unread 24 Apr 2003, 21:14   #5
BesigedB
Darling

BesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of light
if your default printer is a networked HP then the host computer must be on and connected otherwise it goes crashy.

Unread 24 Apr 2003, 21:56   #6
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Quote:
Originally posted by BesigedB
if your default printer is a networked HP then the host computer must be on and connected otherwise it goes crashy.

my brother indeed has a HP.... I shall look for a fix.
Unread 24 Apr 2003, 22:04   #7
BesigedB
Darling

BesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of light
its drivers. i live with it.
Unread 25 Apr 2003, 13:18   #8
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

I didn't find a real fix for this, but I did find a work around. I added a dummy-printer in my printers dialog, and set is as default. Instead of Word looking on the network for the printer, it uses the dummy printer.

Unread 25 Apr 2003, 14:34   #9
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
I can't help but smile that the fix for a crashing word processor involves messing about with networks.

Ah, where would we be without windows to brighten up our days?