User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion

Unread 25 Apr 2005, 18:11   #1
Lupin
I play the double-bass.

Lupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant future
DivX/Xvid

i have installed the Xvid codec 5.11. however the file i want to play (divx/xvid) freezes after 1 second although the sound continues.

can anyone help here?

Charlie Mingus, such nimble fingers
Droppin the bass, all over the place
Lupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Apr 2005, 18:55   #2
JetLinus
Friendly geek of GD :-/

JetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud of
Arrow Re: DivX/Xvid

1.) Try VLC (Video Lan Client). It's a media player. Straight forward Google-Search-Download.

2.) Try VirtualDub to load the file (google as well, sourceforge). If it does load, you can skip from keyframe to keyframe using the slider while holding CTRL (or SHIFT??).

3.) Download and install "ffdShow". Sort of all-in-one-codec. I really like it. Has great post-processing quality-improving functions. Almost a "must have" I'd say.

4.) Try a tool called "DivX-Fix". There is a stupid shareware version out, but I don't mean that. I'm talking about a freeware program. It can rebuild the index of a broken AVI / DivX file. Usually happens if a file is not completely downloaded.

To be honest: If step 1 fails, chances are bad. Usually VLC is the last hope to play some unplayable file.

Very last desperate step 5.):
Open the file in a hex-editor or notepad-like program. Have a look. Search for strings (might as well use some grep-like-tool). Try to spot information that helps. Like "MPG", "ASF", whatever.

P.S.: Make sure XviD is installed as well. Just in case. Download "koepi's binaries".

Last edited by JetLinus; 25 Apr 2005 at 19:12.
JetLinus is offline   Reply With Quote