User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 4 Dec 2002, 13:58   #1
Tietäjä
Good Son

Tietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better place
Existance

I'm halfway through understanding it. But I'm with some serious choices here. So I'll just shoot it.

So, IF everything was originated by a big bang, where did the mass that was released in big bang come from? If there was another universe before it, wich collapsed into a small point of extreme pressure and mass, and exploded causing a big bang, where did that universe come from? If there was a universe, was there intelligent life there?

If there was, is the meaning of the continuous 'heart beating' of the existance (bang, collapse, bang, collapse) just to see how long it takes for some highly developed race to appear and shut down the system and take control (in wich case I doubt humans are good enough)? Or is existance in general, or existance of intelligent life just a sum of random coincidences (lucky lucky), or a sum of a strict reaction that happens for each universe born and doomed to collapse?

If this direction is wrong, and the Universe was createn by some force beyond our understanding (God, A Spirit, or whatsoever), WHERE did it come from, and why did it decide to create something so meaningless, that would just bump and collapse? Just to have something to watch?

Or is it all just an illusion? In this case, I want my personal system to be rebooted ASAP.
"Oh, wretched race of a day, children of chance and misery, why do ye compel me to say to you what it were most expedient for you not to hear? What is best of all is for ever beyond your reach: not to be born, not to be, to be nothing. The second best for you, however, is soon to die". Silenus, tutor to Dionysos, speaking to King Midas.
Tietäjä is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Dec 2002, 14:43   #2
Cocaine

How do you expect anybody to answer that ?
Unread 4 Dec 2002, 14:46   #3
W
Gubbish

W is a jewel in the roughW is a jewel in the roughW is a jewel in the rough
Re: Existance

Quote:
Originally posted by Tietäjä
I'm halfway through understanding it. But I'm with some serious choices here. So I'll just shoot it.

So, IF everything was originated by a big bang, where did the mass that was released in big bang come from? If there was another universe before it, wich collapsed into a small point of extreme pressure and mass, and exploded causing a big bang, where did that universe come from? If there was a universe, was there intelligent life there?

If there was, is the meaning of the continuous 'heart beating' of the existance (bang, collapse, bang, collapse) just to see how long it takes for some highly developed race to appear and shut down the system and take control (in wich case I doubt humans are good enough)? Or is existance in general, or existance of intelligent life just a sum of random coincidences (lucky lucky), or a sum of a strict reaction that happens for each universe born and doomed to collapse?

If this direction is wrong, and the Universe was createn by some force beyond our understanding (God, A Spirit, or whatsoever), WHERE did it come from, and why did it decide to create something so meaningless, that would just bump and collapse? Just to have something to watch?

Or is it all just an illusion? In this case, I want my personal system to be rebooted ASAP.
You don't even know what questions to ask, how do you figure we should provide answers?

If you're talking philosophy, metaphysics, then big bang won't help you. The big bang is what happened AFTER all the mass and energy existed (quite like evolution does not say anything about how life came about), and it's just a physical cosmology, not a metaphysical one.

On the "strict reaction" theme, you might look up something called determinism, then look up compatiblism, and see what you can dig up about "first causes".
Unread 4 Dec 2002, 14:51   #4
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
The concept of a Universe is a paradox.
If you have a Universe (which, by definition and name, contains everything there is) then what contains the universe? The universe does, if you follow the definition. So you end up with a problem.
So maybe there's lots of universes - contained in a Multiverse. Then what? What the hell contains the multiverse?
This is a problem which is not going to be solved in our lifetimes, or for a fair few generations after that, if at all - so the best advice is to think about something else before your brain implodes.
Whenever I try and think about it (I mean really think about it) I just end up in mess, given that our definition of the whole thing at the moment ends up stuck in a recursive loop. Either we lack the language to express it, or we don't know, or both.

As for the big bang theory - that holds good as far as numx10^-n seconds AFTER the big bang (ie, you can devide the periods of time after it into smaller and smaller bits and the thoery will still work) but the whole thing falls to bits when you try and express the start of the event or anything before it (if indeed there was anything before it). I believe this problem is known as the Singularity, from what I can remember of physics.

Have fun!

Unread 4 Dec 2002, 14:54   #5
W
Gubbish

Quote:
Originally posted by meglamaniac
The concept of a Universe is a paradox.
If you have a Universe (which, by definition and name, contains everything there is) then what contains the universe? The universe does, if you follow the definition. So you end up with a problem.
So maybe there's lots of universes - contained in a Multiverse. Then what? What the hell contains the multiverse?
This is a problem which is not going to be solved in our lifetimes, or for a fair few generations after that, if at all - so the best advice is to think about something else before your brain implodes.
Whenever I try and think about it (I mean really think about it) I just end up in mess, given that our definition of the whole thing at the moment ends up stuck in a recursive loop. Either we lack the language to express it, or we don't know, or both.
Nonsense. If you define the universe as everything that exists (or more accurately, that has any matterial existance) then the unverse IS the universe, it is not contained by itself any more than you're contained by yourself. If you accept this definition of universe, then there can be no "multiverse", as the universe by definition is just one.
Unread 4 Dec 2002, 15:01   #6
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Perhaps I expressed what I meant badly (this is a subjective area anyway).
Attempt #2:
Some water is contained in a jug.
The jug is in the atmosphere.
The atmosphere is in the solar system.
The solar system is in the galaxy.
The galaxy is in the universe.
The universe is in....?

To me, the concept of there being a definitive "end" to what can be "in" something is a hard one to accept. I've heard all the "universe is curved" business (ie. has no edge/limit) and don't find that any easier to swallow.
Maybe I'm just limited in my ability to think about stuff like this (which is probably why I'm not taking philosophy or anything remotely related to it), but to me, everything has to have a limit. Which brings up the question of what is beyond the limit of the universe?
Unread 4 Dec 2002, 15:02   #7
Cmdr_Cyrax
7 Dimensional Puddleduck

Cmdr_Cyrax is just really niceCmdr_Cyrax is just really niceCmdr_Cyrax is just really niceCmdr_Cyrax is just really niceCmdr_Cyrax is just really nice
I was under the impression that the mass forged in the big bang was converted from energy. This is of cource wrong cos of the law 'matter cannot be created ofr destroyed'

I HATE PHYSICS.
Unread 4 Dec 2002, 15:04   #8
Tietäjä
Good Son

Tietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better place
Yes, it is quite funny.
It cannot have been born (matter does not born, nor does it disappear), so it MUST have always been. Because always MUST be able to be rewinded back to point when there was nothing, there is a paradox. Where did it come from? Why?
"Oh, wretched race of a day, children of chance and misery, why do ye compel me to say to you what it were most expedient for you not to hear? What is best of all is for ever beyond your reach: not to be born, not to be, to be nothing. The second best for you, however, is soon to die". Silenus, tutor to Dionysos, speaking to King Midas.
Unread 4 Dec 2002, 15:22   #9
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Gayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really nice
Quote:
Originally posted by Cmdr_Cyrax
I was under the impression that the mass forged in the big bang was converted from energy. This is of cource wrong cos of the law 'matter cannot be created ofr destroyed'

I HATE PHYSICS.
I think the last sentence was unnecessary there, we pretty much worked that out from your gross misunderstanding of your first paragraph.

e=mc2 ring any bells?
spitzensparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken by das dummkopfen. Das
rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets. Relaxen und vatch
das blinkenlights!!!
Gayle29uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Dec 2002, 15:30   #10
Tietäjä
Good Son

So Gayle, thinking about it better, it could have all been in 'well packed packets'. What I mean is, a large piece of matter could have very small mass if it's velocity is high enough?

Still doesn't help, as mass can't obviously be zero.
Unread 4 Dec 2002, 15:31   #11
Cocaine

no doubt some of the children doing physics at uni will turn up soon and start shouting at you all
Unread 4 Dec 2002, 15:33   #12
Cocaine

Quote:

I HATE PHYSICS.
i believe you mean energy is neither created or destroyed
Unread 4 Dec 2002, 15:36   #13
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Gayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really nice
Quote:
So Gayle, thinking about it better, it could have all been in 'well packed packets'. What I mean is, a large piece of matter could have very small mass if it's velocity is high enough?

Still doesn't help, as mass can't obviously be zero.
Don't ask me, I struggled through 'Beyond the Red Shift' once but I'm really not qualified to hold opinions on cosmology.

Commenting on someone claiming that making matter from energy is impossible however is a totally different thing
das blinkenlights!!!
Unread 4 Dec 2002, 15:38   #14
Ðiscorporation

Why do people always need to know 'why' ?
Unread 4 Dec 2002, 15:38   #15
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by meglamaniac
Perhaps I expressed what I meant badly (this is a subjective area anyway).
Attempt #2:
Some water is contained in a jug.
The jug is in the atmosphere.
The atmosphere is in the solar system.
The solar system is in the galaxy.
The universe is in....?
Why does everything have to be 'in' something?

If the universe is taken to be the 'whole', then everything else can be taken to be an individual part of this whole. The galaxy is 'in' the universe, in that this particular section of space containing stars is what humans have decided to ascribe the noun 'galaxy' to. The space inside the jug is just another arbitary space within the universe, which we have decided to label 'jug'.

The whole concept of inside and outside (and space in general really) occurs because we are describing individual parts contained within the whole. When we take a more holistic view, theres no logical reason why the whole would need to be 'in' something.

Some water is contained in the universe
The jug is in the universe.
The atmosphere is in the universe.
The solar system is in the universe.

would be more holistic.
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Dec 2002, 15:40   #16
Cocaine

Quote:
Originally posted by Gayle28uk
Don't ask me, I struggled through 'Beyond the Red Shift' once but I'm really not qualified to hold opinions on cosmology.

Commenting on someone claiming that making matter from energy is impossible however is a totally different thing
matter is energy afaik
Unread 4 Dec 2002, 15:41   #17
Tietäjä
Good Son

So, Gayle, according to my wits too, to the law of relativity, you could have an object of 100 kg in 'normal' velocities (lower than c2) reduce mass if it had higher velocity (say 9, squareroot of wich would be 3, when the mass would be reduced to one third - but would it reduce size also?) dramatically decrease.

It's interesting to know why, so you could know how and what, and if it really has some goal to aim to.
Unread 4 Dec 2002, 15:43   #18
Ðiscorporation

Quote:

It's interesting to know why, so you could know how and what, and if it really has some goal to aim to.
But the answer almost invariably draws a 'but thats impossible!' comment from someone.
you can't -know- why.
Unread 4 Dec 2002, 15:44   #19
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Quote:
Originally posted by Cocaine
matter is energy afaik
Pretty much. Throw the first law of thermodynamics in there and you're sorted
das blinkenlights!!!
Unread 4 Dec 2002, 15:45   #20
W
Gubbish

Do any of you actually wish to understand anything at all, or are you just interested in trading pretty words?
Unread 4 Dec 2002, 15:46   #21
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:

Why does life, or the universe, need justification or purpose other than that what it gives itself?
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Dec 2002, 15:47   #22
Ðiscorporation

Quote:
Originally posted by W
Do any of you actually wish to understand anything at all, or are you just interested in trading pretty words?
actually, I would enjoy learning nore of this.

What could you teach me, W?
Unread 4 Dec 2002, 15:47   #23
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Quote:
So, Gayle, according to my wits too, to the law of relativity, you could have an object of 100 kg in 'normal' velocities (lower than c2) reduce mass if it had higher velocity (say 9, squareroot of wich would be 3, when the mass would be reduced to one third - but would it reduce size also?) dramatically decrease.

I don't do relativity if I can possibly avoid it. My point was simply that if e=mc2 then m=e/c2.

[edit]Oh, and if the question is 'why?', the answer is almost invariably 'why not?'[/edit]
das blinkenlights!!!
Unread 4 Dec 2002, 15:53   #24
W
Gubbish

Quote:
Originally posted by ÐiSCoRPoRaTioN
actually, I would enjoy learning nore of this.

What could you teach me, W?
Nothing.
Unread 4 Dec 2002, 15:57   #25
Ðiscorporation

Quote:
Originally posted by W
Nothing.
That would be exactly what i'm looking for.
I'll have 3p's worth, please
Unread 4 Dec 2002, 16:02   #26
Cocaine

Quote:
Originally posted by W
you dont go to uni do you ?
Unread 4 Dec 2002, 16:31   #27
menth0l
dim like a fox

menth0l is on a distinguished road
come on now, surely SOMEONE 'knows better' here?

I WANT TO SEE SOME DECENT FLAMING
---------------
ph33r TPE plz. thxbye.
menth0l is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Dec 2002, 16:42   #28
Cocaine

God created all and has always been
Unread 4 Dec 2002, 16:45   #29
Cmdr_Cyrax
7 Dimensional Puddleduck

Cmdr_Cyrax is just really niceCmdr_Cyrax is just really niceCmdr_Cyrax is just really niceCmdr_Cyrax is just really niceCmdr_Cyrax is just really nice
Oh how easy it is to critisise. Right lets have the answer then.........
Unread 4 Dec 2002, 16:48   #30
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Quote:
Especially when you drop yourself in it that deeply

As for the answer, ask a theologian or a metaphysicist, anyone but me
das blinkenlights!!!
Unread 4 Dec 2002, 16:57   #31
mogrika

you cannot know what a box is like from the inside.

we cannot discover the true nature of the universe from inside it.
Unread 4 Dec 2002, 17:23   #32
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

Good god, I go house hunting for a couple of hours and look what this turns into...

Thus is the fate of all meaningful discussion on GD.

Unread 4 Dec 2002, 17:38   #33
Vermillion
Historian

Vermillion is a name known to allVermillion is a name known to allVermillion is a name known to allVermillion is a name known to allVermillion is a name known to allVermillion is a name known to all
Quote:
Where did it come from? Why?

Humans have a limited mind and cannot grasp the concept of infinity particularily well.

The hubris of humanity is, if we cannot grasp it, and it makes us uncomfortable, then it must NOT be so.

Before anyone answers where it comes from and why, you will have to explain to me why it needs to have come from somewhere, and why it needs to have a reason.

The standard answer "Well it HAD to start somewhere!" is not an answer.

"Et nunc, reges, intelligite, er udimini, qui judicati terram"
Vermillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Dec 2002, 17:47   #34
Cocaine

we shouldnt really concern ourselves with such things. There are more important things to be done in life!
Unread 4 Dec 2002, 20:39   #35
acropolis
Vermin Supreme

acropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better place
Quote:
You haven't asked a question yet. Anyway, I feared this thread was doomed from the moment it was entitled "existance". I like the subject tho.
Quote:
Originally posted by Cocaine
we shouldnt really concern ourselves with such things. There are more important things to be done in life!
*cocaine goes back to wanking*
acropolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Dec 2002, 22:42   #36
Vermillion Jnr

Re: Existance

Quote:

wrong, all existance popped into place because they had too much magic in the uni so they decided to do the round world project
[quote]
[quote]

it has been proven that the universe is god, and he dont even notice us, furthermore, he created us because he is us, thus we exist at his whim
Quote:
[b]
If this direction is wrong, and the Universe was createn by some force beyond our understanding (God, A Spirit, or whatsoever), WHERE did it come from, and why did it decide to create something so meaningless, that would just bump and collapse? Just to have something to watch?[b]
my my, someones pretentious today arent we

Quote:

i think u need to be tested for drugs
Unread 4 Dec 2002, 22:58   #37
Vermillion
Historian

Vermillion is a name known to allVermillion is a name known to allVermillion is a name known to allVermillion is a name known to allVermillion is a name known to allVermillion is a name known to all
Re: Re: Existance

Quote:
Originally posted by Vermillion Jnr
I am not sure wheither to be flattered or horrified. I am currently working on a subtle mix of the two, leaning more towards the latter, with pinch of unnerved and a side dish of confused...

"Et nunc, reges, intelligite, er udimini, qui judicati terram"
Vermillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Dec 2002, 00:08   #38
starmog
Star teh mog0r

starmog will become famous soon enoughstarmog will become famous soon enough
it all comes down to one thing...............

WHICH CAME FIRST?

The chicken or The egg??? huh huh???
insert here
starmog custom rank designed by Pyr0 rank design services lmtd.
starmog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Dec 2002, 05:38   #39
W
Gubbish

SNAP OUT OF IT!
Unread 5 Dec 2002, 07:57   #40
Tietäjä
Good Son

Vermillion, your junior version is adorable. He hasn't yet learned how to quote properly - better say, how to use vB codes properly, but he'll eventually catch it. I do think the lack of your wits makes him appear retarded though - he isn't yet at your level.

Btw, I'm very insulted at your jr version stuffing words into my mouth. I appear to have said something I really haven't when I read him quoting me. Go spank him now.
Unread 5 Dec 2002, 09:12   #41
Cyp
∞+♪²

Cyp is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
UNN - Universal News Network

Large Conspiracy Uncovered! - Where is the wool? Textile company feeling sheepish.

A race of aliens once saw a planet full of adorable sheep. They started mining the sheep planet for wool. The previously only alien textile company was worried, because the new wool industry was undermining it's previous monopoly on textiles, so to prevent further damage to it's economy, it anonymously launched a big bang-class missile at the sheep planet, effectively shutting down the new competetive wool industry, and creating the big bang that we know of.

Clothing industries are not attempting an inquiry as to whether the textile company may be responsible, as they don't want to risk sanctions from the textile company. There are rumours that some clothing companies had smuggled some sheep for experimentation, prior to the big bang destroying the sheep planet, and may therefore be able to recreate the wool industry that was beginning to emerge, although it would be expected that the clothing industries would then retain a monopoly on wool production.

-Source: Conspiracies revealed
-&copy;2002, UNN Universal News Network
Textile industry destroys wool.
<!--Last incarnation: Nov 2000-->

Last edited by Cyp; 5 Dec 2002 at 09:17.
Cyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Dec 2002, 14:20   #42
Vermillion Jnr

[quote]
Vermillion, your junior version is adorable. He hasn't yet learned how to quote properly[quote]
however you may think you validate your own theories that i cannot as yet use the ability to quote, it is all in ur head, that dumbass theory, the leaning town of pisa, ignorance you name it.. its in there.

[quote] I do think the lack of your wits makes him appear retarded though - he isn't yet at your level.[quote]
does it make you feel as superior as Mister Ikari does to Shinji Ikari? as you sprout wings and fly with the faries so you can use words beyond your grasp, i refer of course to the word level. and its meaning in the oxford dictionary as: buttons on a telephone, most commonly called mice

Quote:
Btw, I'm very insulted at your jr version stuffing words into my mouth. i am also homosexual and i would like a visit from dace
well i know where you get it form
Unread 6 Dec 2002, 04:58   #43
Fyodor
Behe

Fyodor has a brilliant futureFyodor has a brilliant futureFyodor has a brilliant futureFyodor has a brilliant futureFyodor has a brilliant futureFyodor has a brilliant futureFyodor has a brilliant futureFyodor has a brilliant futureFyodor has a brilliant futureFyodor has a brilliant futureFyodor has a brilliant future
I thought this fit
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the
human mind to correlate all its contents. We live in a placid island of
ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant
that we should voyage far.The sciences, each straining in its own
direction,have hitherto harmed us little; but some day the piecing
together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of
reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go
mad from the revelation or flee from the deadly light into the peace
and safety of a new dark age."

H. P. Lovecraft, The Call of Cthulhu (1926)
Fyodor is offline   Reply With Quote