User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Unread 24 Mar 2009, 15:38   #1
MrLobster
Commander in Briefs!

MrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud of
Remove redundant historical features and simplify game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Light View Post
This is one of the main problems with PA today. Admins simply dont understand what they are doing and code new 'features' every round regardless of weither they add to the game or not, they simply code them so that they have something to announce.

Lets look at the resource system:
1. Metal was designed with the intention of being the resource to initiate roids and build NORMAL ships.
2. Crystal was designed to be the resource to build scans and EMP ships.
3. Eonioum was the resource for fuel.

Admins decided that fuel costs were wrong for the game so deleted them. What did they do with Eonoum? nothing. So admins made Eonioum redudent but then didnt care, they only had the foresight to get rid of the fuel costs.

They then got rid of the EMP/Normal tech tree, what did they decide to do the resource system? NOTHING.

They then got rid of the scanning and initating for roids system? Instead they replaced it with a simple system of it costs Metal to init Metal roids, Crystal for Crystal roids etc..

This made the 3 resource system COMPLETLY redudent, there is 0 reason for it.

this expands to every single area of PA, its overly complicated and overly retarded. There is no vision in PA, so over the course of 30 rounds, things have progressivly got worse as admins code additions to the game which arnt needed or arnt thought through.

Next, lets look at Research.. Seems reletively simple, in the beginning each research would take X amounts of ticks regardless of external factors i.e. Frigate ships would take 12 ticks to everyone. Now, lets look at the current state of research?
Things no longer take X amounts of ticks, that was deemed way too simple ages ago. Instead now each race is assigned a Base Research Points, then we have Goverment bonuses added to that base research points and then on top of that we have the population bonuses added onto it, if that wasnt enough.. we then have research factory (construction) bonuses added onto it and all of this adds up to equal the amount of ticks it takes to research something. Confused? you should be but lets look at what the Manual has to say on this matter, maybe its less confusing.. so lets go and look at the 'research page':

Thats all it says on the matter, they dont bother with the equation because its stupidly complicated but for the sake of argument lets figure out the equation to find the research points for a Terran planet with 50% population in research and 1 Research facility (out of 1 construction) and dictatorship goverment:
100+((100/100)*50)+((100/100)*20)-((100/100)*10)
(i think that formula's right?)
Wow, what a way to attract new players.. make the game so stupidly complicated it will take them ages to understand the mechanincs.. that will attract them to stay?

Lets look at the old system, of every research has a static amount of time to research.. What was wrong with it? i'll ask that again, WHAT WAS WRONG WITH IT? nothing, admins changed it for the sake of it.

The same goes for construction.

Now lets look at the population page?
Population: 122,364,100 Growth: 3%.. Wow my population is 122,364,100 what does that mean? i better look at the manual..

So it means nothing? so.... WHAT IS IT DOING IN THE GAME? If the feature isnt finished yet, then why is it public?

zPeti, you wonder why PA has lost a huge portion of its player base and how to make PA a better game? All you need to do is look at the game then quiz Appocomaster on what you see... Here is some suggestions:
1. What is the point of Eonium? What is special about it?
2. So there's no point to it? so whys it in the game?
3. What is the point of Crystal? what is special about it?
4. You deleted the reasons for it? but kept it in the game?
5. Why is MOTD (Message of the Day) so overly cramped and containing months old information?
6. Why did you implement new quests in the game? with no reward of intentive? what do these achieve except for confusing new players?
7. Why is the in-game mail you recieve when you sign up to PA and log-in a wall of text with no information,tips or guidence for new players.. instead all it does is inform players that they can upgrade there account.
8. Why in a war game? is it much more profitable not to go to war but to fence? Surely, in a war game.. war should be the most profitable and the combat code backs that up?
9. Why is everything in the game so complicated and not explained? To work out the research points you'll recieve you need to visit 3 pages of the manaul and think of the formula yourself.. When in the original Planetarion, the most complicated formula was Amps vs Asteroid Scans.
10. Why are there 5 different races? what did this add to the original game? or was they just added for an extra feature? Why not just 1 race with multiple tech tree paths?
11. What is the point in constructions? Everyone (in the know) just spams Finance Centers for maxium benefit, even adding a cap on them does nothing, as everyone will still spam them until they reach the cap.
12. Why are research labartorys in the game? what do they add except make the research formula more complicated and force everyone to make there 1st/6th/11th/etc consutrction a research center.
13. Waves? how does a new player attack people without proper access to scans? or how does a small alliance cope without dedicated scanners? simple answer is they dont do well at all.. Is there anything being done about this? No? as admins arnt concerned about new players or small alliances as they arnt the ones in #alliances.
14. WTF IS #alliances, why do some people get priority on how PA is run? Is it a simple your Ego must be this big to have an opinion?
15. Why is there 0 updates on the portal, The game might as well be dead as far as the portal is concerned, its updated once every 2months (or everytime theres a rollback) with crap. Wow, there was a creators hour? Do i want to sive through all the crap? no, but have you taken 5minutes to make a summary of the important things said? no, you've simply copied and pastied a log. pravo.
16. Covert ops, dont get me started.
17. Production? why can people hide there prod? WTF is the point in adding factorys to the game?
18. Why is incluster defence -1 ETA? is there any cluster alliances anymore?
19. Why doesnt prelaunch have any major penaltys against it other than being detected in a JGB?

I could go on with this crap but at the end of the day thats what you should be doing zPeti. Question every single addition to Planetarion which has been made since Round 1 and if the answer isnt to your satisfaction, change it. The thing PA is missing is vision, as every single round PA Team changes its mind on what it wants to do and it results in a huge mess.

"he's got a proven track record when it comes to showy art composition" - Tommy

<Sigi> Light: can I ask u how many open internet-windows u always have?
<MrLobster|PM> i have 2, the pa page, and the website for naked light pictures
<Ave> both has bad gfx
MrLobster is offline   Reply With Quote