User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 16 Jun 2004, 18:15   #1
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
So, another "Give me music" thread.

Please tell me what music i should download. What classic songs, indie, classic rock, rock and roll, etc etc that i still dont have. Im trying to stop my music collection ever being stale by constantly updating it.

I thought "maybe they dont know what i like" because i hate almost all music. So, without further ado,

Here is my Music collection

It's actually not everything i have, because i never put anything straight in my MP3 folder. It goes into my My Music folder, i listen to it a few times and put it in my Mp3's if i like it enough.

Please, suggest away. And feel free to berate my music taste, as i have laid it bare and prone to harrassment.

(Thanks to zeriod for the webspace)

Believe in me, cause i don't believe in anything
And i wanna be someone, to believe, to believe in
Deffeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Jun 2004, 19:47   #2
LHC
J to the C to the A G E

LHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet society
Re: So, another "Give me music" thread.

Anything by The Who, but I especially recommend The Seeker, Bargain and Pinball Wizard. I couldn't see them on the list.
LHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Jun 2004, 19:49   #3
Madina
TashTastic

Madina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriend

why not download more take that songs :/
Unread 16 Jun 2004, 19:50   #4
1-X
overtired

1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

did you get Amarillo 'cos of Phoenix Nights?[/berate taste]
1-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Jun 2004, 22:00   #5
Zharkov
Twang Twang

Zharkov has much to be proud ofZharkov has much to be proud ofZharkov has much to be proud ofZharkov has much to be proud ofZharkov has much to be proud ofZharkov has much to be proud ofZharkov has much to be proud ofZharkov has much to be proud of

You need far more Led Zeppelin.

There are no excuses.

For starters, get Rock and Roll, Whole Lotta Love and Black Dog. Oh and Kashmir.
Unread 16 Jun 2004, 22:03   #6
SYMM
Love's Sweet Exile

SYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better place

The Killers, PJ Harvey, Razorlight, Mclusky, Easyworld, The Rapture, Doves, Seafood, Interpol
All good (in my opinion, naturally) of indie/alt music that are pretty easily likeable.
Unread 16 Jun 2004, 22:07   #7
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYMM
The Killers
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Jun 2004, 22:25   #8
FatboySliM

FatboySliM is an unknown quantity at this point

To The 5 Boroughs
Unread 16 Jun 2004, 22:29   #9
JC
lolly roffle

JC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

You need more Oasis, notably from Definately Maybe. Cigarettes and alcohol springs to mind first.

Ocean colour scene - the circle
Starsailor - poor misguided fool
Aerosmith - pink (you might not like it but the only other Aerosmith song i could think of that you havent got)

You have one faithless song in your collection and its not Insomnia .

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1-X
I'm going to a fancy dress party as Paddy and am going to sing that with 'Max' .
Unread 16 Jun 2004, 22:31   #10
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Anything by Apocalyptica because they are fantastic.
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Jun 2004, 22:32   #11
Stew
Made of Twigs

Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodrog
Anything by Apocalyptica because they are fantastic..
Are they the 4 piece chello ppl that play metalica etc?
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Jun 2004, 00:45   #12
Vaio
Heh, Leeds !

Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Beatallica - Beatles songs in a Metallica stylee.

~Vaio~

Yes, I know he is dead !
Vaio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Jun 2004, 00:57   #13
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
You need more Oasis, notably from Definately Maybe. Cigarettes and alcohol springs to mind first.

Ocean colour scene - the circle
Starsailor - poor misguided fool
Aerosmith - pink (you might not like it but the only other Aerosmith song i could think of that you havent got)

You have one faithless song in your collection and its not Insomnia .

I'm going to a fancy dress party as Paddy and am going to sing that with 'Max' .
I dont know about more Oasis. The stuff i had is almost samey enough. Maybe a little bit, we'll see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatboySliM
To The 5 Boroughs
what

Quote:
The Killers, PJ Harvey, Razorlight, Mclusky, Easyworld, The Rapture, Doves, Seafood, Interpol
All good (in my opinion, naturally) of indie/alt music that are pretty easily likeable.
What Songs? I got a loan of the Stories From the city PJ H album. Those two songs were the only ones i liked, some more are in the "not bad" folder though

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zharkov
You need far more Led Zeppelin.

There are no excuses.

For starters, get Rock and Roll, Whole Lotta Love and Black Dog. Oh and Kashmir.
Maybe. They arent really my scene (as my music collection will show). Kashmir is the riff sampled by puff daddy though yeah? Ill get that

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1-X
I dont like phoenix nights and only watched it twice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madina
why not download more take that songs :/
many reasons

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHC
Anything by The Who, but I especially recommend The Seeker, Bargain and Pinball Wizard. I couldn't see them on the list.
I have pinball wizard in the "told to download this shit" folder. Wasnt too keen at first. Will try again and download this other stuff if i like it though.

Unread 17 Jun 2004, 02:22   #14
Blastoderm
________

Blastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

No LostProphets songs?
finding strength to call and ask her
Roller coaster favorite ride,
let me kiss you one last time.
Blastoderm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Jun 2004, 06:18   #15
SYMM
Love's Sweet Exile

SYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better place

The Killers- Mr Brightside/Somebody Told me
Polly- something off her new album, The Letter maybe
Razorlight- Golden Touch is the name (I think) of their single...
The Rapture- Olio or House of Jealous Lovers
Easyworld- 2nd Amendment or Bleach
Doves- their whole first album
Unread 17 Jun 2004, 06:33   #16
Madina
TashTastic

Madina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriend

the killers album is quite good (if anyone wants me to seed it as a torrent PM me) and i really want the razorlight album but am having no luck in finding it
Unread 17 Jun 2004, 07:32   #17
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

You have Lighthouse Family songs? I thought you was hardcore?

Anyway, if you like Offspring and Greenday there's really no excuse for getting some NOFX.

Download "White Trash, Two Heebs and a Bean". Or even the most recent album "War on Errorism". You seem to like tuneful rock so it might fit in.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Jun 2004, 07:44   #18
SYMM
Love's Sweet Exile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madina
the killers album is quite good (if anyone wants me to seed it as a torrent PM me) and i really want the razorlight album but am having no luck in finding it
I don't think it's out yet, I got an email from Amazon telling me that I can pre-order it for £7.99...which I may well do
(out June 28th)
Unread 17 Jun 2004, 08:12   #19
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
I don't think it's out yet, I got an email from Amazon telling me that I can pre-order it for £7.99...which I may well do
(out June 28th)
That doesn't stop the magic of the internet.
Unread 17 Jun 2004, 09:06   #20
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew
Are they the 4 piece chello ppl that play metalica etc?
Yeah. Theyve done other stuff as well though, and are generally fantastic.
Unread 17 Jun 2004, 10:11   #21
SepH
no

SepH is a splendid one to beholdSepH is a splendid one to beholdSepH is a splendid one to beholdSepH is a splendid one to beholdSepH is a splendid one to beholdSepH is a splendid one to beholdSepH is a splendid one to beholdSepH is a splendid one to behold

the offspring - heaven is so far away
SepH is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Jun 2004, 10:19   #22
The_Fish
ND

The_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to all

Graham Coxon - Happiness in Magazines
Unread 17 Jun 2004, 10:56   #23
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Will download suggestions. Most of. Not Lost Prophets, and NOFX though.

All in all, i cant believe my music collection hasnt been systematically torn apart by you lot.

Unread 17 Jun 2004, 11:03   #24
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deffeh
All in all, i cant believe my music collection hasnt been systematically torn apart by you lot.
Why would it?

OMG, a playlist with plenty of Oasis, Blur, Beatles, Billy Joel, Eagles, Offspring, Green Day, Manics, RHCP, Police, Queen and Pulp. You musical eccentric elitist you!

Even your more "borderline" entries are generally the popular songs - e.g. Eagle Eye Cherry's two songs.

edit : My only criticism is that your music collection is too small. And you need more punk, but you've rejected that already....

Last edited by Dante Hicks; 17 Jun 2004 at 11:12.
Unread 17 Jun 2004, 11:23   #25
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Hey dante, get more bad religion
Unread 17 Jun 2004, 11:31   #26
Dante Hicks
Clerk

I have 183 of their songs on my MP3 player as we speak.
Unread 17 Jun 2004, 11:31   #27
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante Hicks
I have 183 of their songs on my MP3 player as we speak.
You have TESF then I take it
Unread 17 Jun 2004, 11:33   #28
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

The thing is, i like "the best of" Music. Theres no other way i can explain it. All in all, theres 950ish files. In my "my music folder" theres another 700 or so. I dont just throw stuff in my Mp3 collection that i rip or download or get sent.

Folders in My Music folder :

70's CD i got free with the sunday times (looks pish)
Aqualung (Ive never listened to this album, none of the tracks are named which doesnt help)
Bruce Springsteen (though most of the tracks are corrups, i'll have to re-rip)
Comedy & Themes (TV theme tunes, Weird Al tracks, Bud Light adverts, a little bit of classical, some tracks that are so bad they are good - ie Judas Priest - JonnyBGood)
Counting Crows (Yeah, well i like them )
Forsyths Music (One of my friends and i connected our computers, robbed each other blind. I still have 100+/- of his songs that i havent robbed or deleted)
Lynyrd Skynrd (One of their early albums)
The "Not Bad" folder (songs go in here after a listen or two that i think wasnt totally horrendous)
Ocean Colour Scene (Of whom i accept i do need more songs)
The "Old" Folder (This is a folder of songs i used to / still do like but im loathe to admit it. Or songs i'll like again someday. Or songs that only i like so arent cool when they come on in random playlists)
RHCP (Every single album. i downloaded them all for a friends birthday. The early ones are shit)
Simon & Garfunkel (Bridge over troubled water album. Outstanding. I'm going through it just now)
Stereophonics (Seems im the only one who still likes them)
Told to download this shit folder (Songs that didnt grab me first time but i'll give one more go)
U2 (Just a few songs that didnt grab me first time round)

I know. Im a bit of a prick, but i like a clean computer. I'm not into punk, i think modern rock is mostly bollocks. Theres so few tracks in my collection from the last few years, because theres so little music that stands up to the music of old.

Unread 17 Jun 2004, 11:36   #29
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
I know. Im a bit of a prick, but i like a clean computer. I'm not into punk, i think modern rock is mostly bollocks. Theres so few tracks in my collection from the last few years, because theres so little music that stands up to the music of old.
All this pop music can **** off. Classical is the way forward, and there's more of it too.
Unread 17 Jun 2004, 11:38   #30
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Troll or no troll, i can accept this to an extent. I know i'll be into classical later in life, but not just now. While i enjoy it (I bought billy joel's solo piano album \o/) i dont have the patience just now.

Unread 17 Jun 2004, 11:41   #31
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

It was more a parody than a troll; the only reason there's more good stuff from (say) 1995 back is because there's been under a decade since then, but before that there were a good 40 years.

[edit]

There are other factors, but that's the BIG one.
Unread 17 Jun 2004, 11:45   #32
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Maybe, but if you add proportions. If i could somehow find an easy way of finding the year each one of these songs was released on an album, and plotting them on a graph

For example, from the year 2003, i have probably a tenth of what i have from 1997 or so.

Unread 17 Jun 2004, 11:45   #33
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrL_JaKiri
You have TESF then I take it
Certainly do. I like some Bad Religion stuff, but they're not quite tuneful enough for my tastes.

They still get a fair listen though.

Deffeh : I don't see how you can dismiss all punk out of hand but still like Green Day and Offspring. Or for that matter Limp Bizkit. I have no problem with "best of" music - hell there's even the odd hip hop song in my collection - through sheer brute force there's bound to be a song in almost every genre which is OK.

I don't think new music is inherently worse than old. The amount of shit that time has fortunately filtered out from older music is incredibly. Remember that thread I think Bloomers made re : songs from each decade. There were classic tunes from each decade, and I doubt that'll stop being the case. For every Queen there's a Bay City Rollers.
Unread 17 Jun 2004, 11:58   #34
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
For example, from the year 2003, i have probably a tenth of what i have from 1997 or so.
Maybe you are a lot more musically aware than me, but I'm discovering music all the time. I have definitely not listened to every album released in 2003 (nor 1997) but I'd say I've probably listened to more music from '97 than '03.

At least two albums which have recently become in my "Top 10" are early-mid 90's releases ("Out Come the Wolves" & "White Trash...") which I hadn't properly heard until this year. I'm sure in another decade I'll happen along an album released in 2003 and think it was awesome. I suppose it's slightly different if you are into chart music (and it matters if a song is popular or not), but that's not the case with most people.

Outside of big releases albums take a while to become appreciated, basically.
Unread 17 Jun 2004, 12:00   #35
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante Hicks
Deffeh : I don't see how you can dismiss all punk out of hand but still like Green Day and Offspring. Or for that matter Limp Bizkit. I have no problem with "best of" music - hell there's even the odd hip hop song in my collection - through sheer brute force there's bound to be a song in almost every genre which is OK.

I don't think new music is inherently worse than old. The amount of shit that time has fortunately filtered out from older music is incredibly. Remember that thread I think Bloomers made re : songs from each decade. There were classic tunes from each decade, and I doubt that'll stop being the case. For every Queen there's a Bay City Rollers.
i can accept that, to an extent. I'm on the elitest side, i know. Its very easy to get nostalgic about times you dont remember and go "omg omg omg the 80s the 80s". Music just gets better with age, the truly really great music survives the test of time and sounds great after 10+ years. So in that sense, i find myself unable to objectively judge just quite how good some songs are "at the time". I mean, i may have loved it at the time, but i very much doubt that when something like Champagne Supernova was first doing the rounds i'd suspect that it was going to be one of the best songs of the decade. People in the 80s must have ****ing loved it, but if you'd have told them that Bohemian Rhapsody was going to become one of the most famous songs in the world ever, it would have been a bit mind boggling.

Music needs time to prove it can last. Something for example, like Mr. Brightside. I think its an outstanding song, but its foolish for me to say "its up there with some of the best of u2" or something like that, because it hasnt had time.

But even still, even when you look at all of this. Splitting decades into halfs, you can see the outstanding songs, the outstanding bands. Easy to see 60-64, 65-69, 70-74, 75-79, 80-84, 85-89, we are now beginning to realise everything about 90-94, 95-99 we can almost be objective about now.

But what about 00-04? What the **** have we had? Suicide rock, the same generic nu metal / Kerrang bands? Who has been the band of the last 4 1/2 years? What has been the song of the last 4 1/2 years? has music advanced at all? To me its just been absolutely mince. I'll remember this time in music for its sheer uselessness. I'll remember it for people dismissing two of the best bands of the last 10 years in blur and oasis for pish like the Darkness. And i'll remember it for the ridiculous Genre's that bands struggled to invent and make up so that they didnt all get labelled with the sinking ship nu-metal. Operatic rock. Theatrical rock. prog-rock (which was originally something totally different). Psychadelia-tinged rock. Post-punk-pre-homework.

So this doesnt lose all direction, what do you think objectively have been the best band and best song? Or rather, biggest band, and biggest song over the last 4 years?

Unread 17 Jun 2004, 12:01   #36
Rumad
th0ng gimp

Rumad has a spectacular aura aboutRumad has a spectacular aura about

road to amarillo by tony christie
butterfly by dolly parton
anything by the animals
Former legion th0ng master
Proud to be Independent
Rumad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Jun 2004, 12:08   #37
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
And i'll remember it for the ridiculous Genre's that bands struggled to invent and make up so that they didnt all get labelled with the sinking ship nu-metal. Operatic rock. Theatrical rock. prog-rock (which was originally something totally different). Psychadelia-tinged rock. Post-punk-pre-homework.
Almost all bands don't care about 'genre', especially if they're any good; they're not 'x' genre, they just are.

And as 'Nu-Metal' is one of the more defined genres in the world, I've no idea how you even consider that more 'operatic/prog' rock bands, the only ones I can think of offhand being Muse and Radiohead, would be 'nu-metal'.

Last edited by MrL_JaKiri; 17 Jun 2004 at 12:19.
Unread 17 Jun 2004, 12:10   #38
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Wax - Building a bridge to your heart

Shut up.
Unread 17 Jun 2004, 12:14   #39
lokken
BlueTuba

lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
I have pinball wizard in the "told to download this shit" folder. Wasnt too keen at first. Will try again and download this other stuff if i like it though.
Try Won't Get Fooled Again, Teenage Wasteland and 5:15. Deffo get the Seeker, the other 2 get boring after a while.
Unread 17 Jun 2004, 12:14   #40
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrL_JaKiri
Almost all bands don't care about 'genre', especially if they're any good; they're not 'x' genre, they just are.

And as 'Nu-Metal' is one of the more defined genres in the world, I've no idea how you even consider that more 'operatic/prog' rock, the only ones I can think of offhand being Muse and Radiohead, would be 'nu-metal'.
You'll meet people who'll defend to the death Muse not being nu-metal. They themselves describe themselves as "operatic rock" on their album cover (so im told).

Also maybe it was your sentence structure but i didnt really understand your point.

Unread 17 Jun 2004, 12:15   #41
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
You'll meet people who'll defend to the death Muse not being nu-metal.
Because they... aren't?
Unread 17 Jun 2004, 12:16   #42
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Well then i deffo didnt understand your sentence. Reword please

Unread 17 Jun 2004, 12:20   #43
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Well then i deffo didnt understand your sentence. Reword please
I missed out a fun and vital word.
Unread 17 Jun 2004, 12:22   #44
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
So this doesnt lose all direction, what do you think objectively have been the best band and best song? Or rather, biggest band, and biggest song over the last 4 years?
Objectivity doesn't belong anywhere near the word "best".

And who cares what's the biggest release? Does it matter? The most popular song in the world last year was probably some Indian Bollywood music, or dodgy Chinese rock or Arabic prayer to music. You seem to care quite a bit that a lot of people like the Darkness for instance. While there can be practical rammifications (e.g. every radio station is full of their crap) it doesn't make that much of a difference.

The best releases are often quietly received. One of my favourite bands from the late 90's is 'Eels'. I've only seem them once on MTV2 and never heard them mentioned on a mainstream TV channel. And they're not an obscure band - their music was used in the soundtrack for Shrek for instance, and they've toured across America and Europe. It's just the hype machine isn't behind them so they're not floated as the next big thing. Unlike people like "The Darkness".

Anyway; my favourite album from the last two or three years is probably "Indestructible" by Rancid - who are obviously not a new band. I don't know of many new bands. I go clubbing quite a bit and the people involved in the "alternative" scene are always mentioning tonnes of new bands which are going to "rock the world". I really can't be bothered to check them out. It's too much wading through crap. 98% of bands who form this year/month will be utter utter shit. Who can be bothered to track down the 2%?

Maybe pop music is getting worse, I don't know. But I don't really care what get's into the charts. The last time I cared was when Bart Simpson did't get played on Top of the Pops because Bryan Adams was at Number 1 for four thousand years.
Unread 17 Jun 2004, 12:23   #45
lokken
BlueTuba

lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Muse/Radiohead seem to be far too intelligent to be in the brain dead rock nu-metal category.

Miserable bastards, I admit that, but they do it in a good way.
Unread 17 Jun 2004, 12:25   #46
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

The only 'nu metal' I can think of off the cuff are Limp Biscuit (none of your anticonformist spelling here thank you!), those chaps who did that shouty thing with the asian guy with the wow aren't they cool whos name I can't remember at the moment wait it's linkin park, and possibly something like lostprophets. But then I've not really payed attention to that 'area' of music.
Unread 17 Jun 2004, 12:28   #47
Nodrog

Quote:
I know i'll be into classical later in life, but not just now. .
what
Unread 17 Jun 2004, 12:29   #48
Lupin
I play the double-bass.

Lupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant future

you still need more hip hop and jazz!

nas, big l, gangstarr, mobb deep, notorious biggie smalls, john coltrane, miles davis, charlie parker to dld.
Lupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Jun 2004, 12:31   #49
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Sometimes Def Tones are called 'nu metal'.

I like quite a bit of nu metal. Lost Prophets & Linkin Park are both pretty cool imho. Limp Bizkit are obviously shit, but then again the mere sight of Fred Durst fills me with a murderous rage.

I'm not sure why it matters if music is "stupid", tbh. I mean, apparently the guy from Bad Religion has a PhD in Evolutionary Biology or something. That's pretty cool, but does it affect the music?
Unread 17 Jun 2004, 12:32   #50
Nodrog

Quote:
i can accept that, to an extent. I'm on the elitest side
How can you possibly claim to be musically elitest? Your playlist contains the exact same cliched "generic old skool rock" groups as pretty much everyone else who claims to like "old music". If you added some Led Zeppelin and possibly got rid of Billy Joel and ESP, your playlist would be almost undistinguishable from the rest of the 'modern music sux' brigade.

Last edited by Nodrog; 17 Jun 2004 at 12:37.