User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion > Hardware and Tech Support

Unread 7 Nov 2003, 19:01   #1
the dying puppy
Banned

the dying puppy is an unknown quantity at this point
Have anyone had this problem with Win98?

I cant shut down/restart my PC from the start menu, only by Ctr+Alt+Del. Actually that weard shit started happening two days ago after I run Norton and reinstalled Windows.

what the **** is happening?
the dying puppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Nov 2003, 19:05   #2
ChubbyChecker
King of The Fat Boys

ChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriend
Re: Have anyone had this problem with Win98?

Old

(Windows 98 that is)
ChubbyChecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Nov 2003, 19:14   #3
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I don't trust norton. It kills pcs.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Nov 2003, 19:20   #4
the dying puppy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrL_JaKiri
I don't trust norton. It kills pcs.
thats not a suggestion, is it now?
Unread 7 Nov 2003, 19:20   #5
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

No, it isn't.
Unread 7 Nov 2003, 19:31   #6
the dying puppy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChubbyChecker
Old

(Windows 98 that is)
neither this one!

I thought you people suppose to be SMART ffs!
Unread 7 Nov 2003, 20:09   #7
ChubbyChecker
King of The Fat Boys

ChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriend

I never claimed to be smart.

If I did I was lying.
ChubbyChecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Nov 2003, 20:19   #8
SepH
no

SepH is a splendid one to beholdSepH is a splendid one to beholdSepH is a splendid one to beholdSepH is a splendid one to beholdSepH is a splendid one to beholdSepH is a splendid one to beholdSepH is a splendid one to beholdSepH is a splendid one to behold

http://pirate.planetarion.com/forumdisplay.php?f=57

these people might be able to help you :P

then again, seeing that your thread was moved, it was proppably up there in the first place...can't help you though

[edit]
hmm..alllrightys then..it IS in programming and discussion :P
still cant help you though
[/edit]
SepH is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Nov 2003, 01:47   #9
Luckeh!!!!
-=Murderous Plush Toy=-

Luckeh!!!! will become famous soon enoughLuckeh!!!! will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by the dying puppy
thats not a suggestion, is it now?
suggests not to use it
Luckeh!!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Nov 2003, 02:08   #10
the dying puppy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckeh!!!!
suggests not to use it
thats not a suggestion on how to fix it though
Unread 8 Nov 2003, 12:47   #11
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

From my experience it's standard Win98 behaviour and requires the standard Win9x fx - format and reinstall.

Wish I could be more helpful, but that's pretty much what it boils down to. Try WinXP, or Win2K if your machine's a bit too old for XP.
Unread 8 Nov 2003, 13:04   #12
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by the dying puppy
neither this one!

I thought you people suppose to be SMART ffs!
Look kiddo,
We don't know about every little bug in Windows... if you manage to surface something that only happens on one in a hundred-million computers, and we don't know how to fix it, doesn't mean we're sodding stupid... you understand that?
Now go on and reinstall your box and put atleast something half decent on it (ie: NOT Windows 95, 98 or ME)
Structural Integrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Nov 2003, 15:08   #13
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally Posted by meglamaniac
From my experience it's standard Win98 behaviour and requires the standard Win9x fx - format and reinstall.

Wish I could be more helpful, but that's pretty much what it boils down to. Try WinXP, or Win2K if your machine's a bit too old for XP.
I think Win XP is better for low end systems, because it's much more scaleable.

[edit]

And 98, whilst not very good, is at least better than 95 or ME.
Unread 8 Nov 2003, 15:15   #14
SYMM
Love's Sweet Exile

SYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better place

95 is much better than 98
Sure, no support for anything, but it crashes far less frequently than 98, and is pretty much immune from viruses
Unread 8 Nov 2003, 15:56   #15
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYMM
Sure, no support for anything, but it crashes far less frequently than 98, and is pretty much immune from viruses
Either you're mixing up the 95 and the 98, or you're lying twice in one sentence
Unread 8 Nov 2003, 16:10   #16
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Forced to agree with Leshy here.

My initial experience of 95 was:
Oooh cool, way different from 3.11! And it does neat stuff! Oh it's crashed - oh well, probably a one off...

Followed by 3 years of:
Hmm hmm, typing away at my homework, hmm hmmm hm *bip* *flash* (crunchcrunchcrunch) *bip* "Your computer was not shut down correctly - Scandisk will run in 10 seconds..." (crunchcrunchcrunch) *cheesy windows startup sound* *word loads up* "Hi! I'm an annoying paperclip displaying a cheesy animation whilst telling you Word recovered your unsaved document!! Although, despite the fact you told it to autosave every minute, I only seem to have the one you were writing 15 minutes ago..."

And so on.
Unread 9 Nov 2003, 02:25   #17
Luckeh!!!!
-=Murderous Plush Toy=-

Luckeh!!!! will become famous soon enoughLuckeh!!!! will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrL_JaKiri
I think Win XP is better for low end systems, because it's much more scaleable.

[edit]

And 98, whilst not very good, is at least better than 95 or ME.
depends how low you go, WinXP is a resource hog comparitively
Unread 11 Nov 2003, 22:11   #18
the dying puppy
Banned

here is some update:
I guess I am not the only one having this problem with Windows 98. I guess Microsoft even had some patch for the shutdown problem, but instaling patch didnt solve my problem, but I''l get to the end of it.
Unread 28 Nov 2003, 12:47   #19
MT
/dev/zero
Retired Mod

MT is an unknown quantity at this point

use windows nt 4 workstation

its the daddy

<idimmu> ok i was chained to a desk with this oriental dude
MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Nov 2003, 14:08   #20
Ragnarak

Ragnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to behold

has anyone suggested that she checks what her power management settings are?
Are the best i've ever had
Ragnarak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Dec 2003, 04:51   #21
Ole Lukoe

Ole Lukoe is an unknown quantity at this point

I had an error in my Registry
Ole Lukoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Dec 2003, 10:18   #22
Luckeh!!!!
-=Murderous Plush Toy=-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Lukoe
I had an error in my Registry
shock, horror!