User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 29 Aug 2005, 19:08   #1
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Confronting people

I'm not a very confrontational person - even when drunk. I find that most situations can be solved by just being polite and civil to people.

This experience really tested me though. I really didn't know what to do. I'm curious to see how other people would have reacted, in my place.

I was getting a train from London, back to Exeter, after my interview for the job. This was in June or July.

The train wasn't due for another half hour or so, so I bought a newspaper and one of those small packets of biscuits (Hob-Nobs).

The station was kind of busy, so I sat on a four-seater circular table, opposite another guy. The other two seats were untaken.

I put the biscuits down, my newspaper down, and made a quick phonecall to my friend to tell him when I'd be arriving roughly, and to organise plans for later that evening.

Getting off the phone, I started to read my newspaper. I opened the biscuits and munched one slowly.

I was on the second page, when I noticed some movement from the guy opposite me.

Glancing up, I saw that he had put his hand out slyly, and taken one of my biscuits. He was now chewing it, and finishing it off.

I watched him wipe his mouth, and thought to myself.

I had no idea who he was.

He was about the same size as me (although I wasn't exactly going to start a fight, so it was irrelevant how big he was).

I'd heard stories of fights being caused for less than this.

He could be violent - and it was only a biscuit, right?

By the time it took me to process "what should I do", it had moved beyond the reasonable amount of time I could do something about it.

I couldn't very well say "hey, you took one of my biscuits 2 minutes ago - why?".

I decided to pass it off - it was only a biscuit.

I took another purposefully, and moved the packet nearer to me.

About a minute after I had finished mine, he moved it back towards him - and not even slyly, this time.

My mind raced again - I wasn't even reading the newspaper now. How could someone be so blatantly cheeky?

If I made a fuss now, it would be stupid.

I'd already allowed him the one biscuit - how could I justify that, and make a big deal out of the second biscuit?

I, as I mentioned before, don't like confrontations, so I left it.

I took another biscuit and munched it.

He took another and munched it.

Now there was only one biscuit left. I was damned if he was eating my last biscuit. I just took it and ate it purposefully, trying my best not to glare at him.

About 5 minutes later, his train must have been ready to go, because he rose from the table and walked away.

I shook my head and went back to my newspaper.

5 minutes before my train was due to leave, I put on my jacket and picked up my bag.

As I picked up my newspaper, I noticed something underneath, lying innocently on the table.

It was the packet of Hob-Nobs I'd bought.
Unread 29 Aug 2005, 19:12   #2
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Confronting people

i cringed, horribly at the end of that. I bet you just wanted to curl up and die. Great story though

Believe in me, cause i don't believe in anything
And i wanna be someone, to believe, to believe in
Deffeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Aug 2005, 19:18   #3
Sarina_Joy
Twisted

Sarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriend

I'm afraid I'm not a woman to be messed with. In that situation, thinking he was eating my biscuits, I'd at the very least have made a sarcastic comment and moved table. I chased someone through the pub several weeks ago when he stole my cigarettes off the bar. I think the barstaff were rather amused. :\ I think that's the worst I have done, except for the time where I practically had to physically remove a guy from the fruit machine I was playing (I had popped to the toilet and he was playing with MY MONEY the cheeky git).

In my sleep I grind my teeth.
Sarina_Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Aug 2005, 19:42   #4
LHC
J to the C to the A G E

LHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nantoz
Gods in heaven.
We are on an internet forum, every single one of us must have read the Hitchikers Guide atleast once.
And still you feel the need to post this?
I've not read it.

There goes that theory.
LHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Aug 2005, 19:48   #5
Deepflow
Next goal wins!

Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I've heard this exact same story before. Did it really happen?

It is a wonderfully english thing though
Unread 29 Aug 2005, 19:49   #6
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

NEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHC
I've not read it.

There goes that theory.
[20:27:47] <nodrog-aawy> **** i think my housemate just caught me masturbating
[11:25:32] <idimmu> you are a little piggy arent you
[13:17:00] <KaneED> i'm so closet i'm like narnia
Unread 29 Aug 2005, 19:52   #7
Tomkat

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

No it didn't happen.

One of my friends told me the story ages ago.

I wasn't aware Douglas Adams or Jeffrey Archer had told it too, though.

Oh well.
Unread 29 Aug 2005, 21:46   #8
KoeN
Lucky
Helicopter Champion

KoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant future

maybe you were in an advert of Hob-Nobs without knowing it!
KoeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Aug 2005, 21:54   #9
Tomkat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toccata & Fugue
It appears in So Long And Thanks For All The Fish, the forth book in the Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy Trilogy and my personal favourite. Arthur Dent tells it to Fenchurch, possibly in a park.
Ahh, I haven't read that one.

"The fourth book in the trilogy" - nice
Unread 29 Aug 2005, 21:59   #10
SepH
no

SepH is a splendid one to beholdSepH is a splendid one to beholdSepH is a splendid one to beholdSepH is a splendid one to beholdSepH is a splendid one to beholdSepH is a splendid one to beholdSepH is a splendid one to beholdSepH is a splendid one to behold

that is an awesome story, would have been better if it wasn't copied
SepH is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Aug 2005, 22:06   #11
1-X
overtired

1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

http://www.snopes.com/crime/safety/cookies.asp
1-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Aug 2005, 22:34   #12
LHC
J to the C to the A G E

LHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet society

The three versions on Snopes are told terribly.
Unread 29 Aug 2005, 23:00   #13
Tomkat

Quote:
Originally Posted by SepH
that is an awesome story, would have been better if it wasn't copied
It wasn't copied - I wrote it all out from memory of my friend's telling of the story.
Unread 29 Aug 2005, 23:08   #14
Deepflow
Next goal wins!

Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomkat
No it didn't happen.

One of my friends told me the story ages ago.

I wasn't aware Douglas Adams or Jeffrey Archer had told it too, though.

Oh well.
douglas adams, that was it.

I read it in the salmon of doubt, nice little book of compilations that.

especially the bit about how great wodehouse is.
Unread 29 Aug 2005, 23:21   #15
Stew
Made of Twigs

Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

It's a very Jeffrey Archer-short-story-esque tale, but I liked it
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Aug 2005, 23:29   #16
Jennifer
Destroyer of Worlds

Jennifer is a pillar of this Internet societyJennifer is a pillar of this Internet societyJennifer is a pillar of this Internet societyJennifer is a pillar of this Internet societyJennifer is a pillar of this Internet societyJennifer is a pillar of this Internet societyJennifer is a pillar of this Internet societyJennifer is a pillar of this Internet societyJennifer is a pillar of this Internet societyJennifer is a pillar of this Internet societyJennifer is a pillar of this Internet society

A typical response from me would be to ask the man politely if I had mistaken his packet of biscuits for mine, and if he claimed they were his, I'd have pretended to search for my packet, and said 'Nope, those are definitely mine, I think you're mistaken'. But of course in the situation above, I'd have found my biscuits while pretending to search for them, and realised that the biscuits on the table were his.

But that's just what I'm like. I'm very non-confrontational.
“In spite of the roaring of the young lions at the Union, and the screaming of the rabbits in the home of the vivisect, in spite of Keble College, and the tramways, and the sporting prints, Oxford still remains the most beautiful thing in England, and nowhere else are life and art so exquisitely blended, so perfectly made one.”
Jennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Aug 2005, 11:54   #17
CrashTester
I am an idiot

CrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarina_Joy
I'm afraid I'm not a woman to be messed with. In that situation, thinking he was eating my biscuits, I'd at the very least have made a sarcastic comment and moved table. I chased someone through the pub several weeks ago when he stole my cigarettes off the bar. I think the barstaff were rather amused. :\ I think that's the worst I have done, except for the time where I practically had to physically remove a guy from the fruit machine I was playing (I had popped to the toilet and he was playing with MY MONEY the cheeky git).

Public houses, chasing men over stolen cigarettes and playing fruities - what a babe!
CrashTester is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Aug 2005, 11:56   #18
CrashTester
I am an idiot

CrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant futureCrashTester has a brilliant future

I'd have shared the hob nobs anyway.
CrashTester is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Aug 2005, 12:25   #19
LHC
J to the C to the A G E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarina_Joy
I think that's the worst I have done, except for the time where I practically had to physically remove a guy from the fruit machine I was playing (I had popped to the toilet and he was playing with MY MONEY the cheeky git).
Why did you leave a fruit machine while you still had money in it? I'd start playing on it if someone did that.
Unread 30 Aug 2005, 12:59   #20
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Exclamation Re: Confronting people

You were the nob.

He was the hob.

IT WAS BISCUIT RAPE
Marilyn Manson is offline   Reply With Quote