User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 30 Apr 2005, 02:43   #1
JetLinus
Friendly geek of GD :-/

JetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud of
Arrow Need lyrics? (winamp-plugin)

I came across a nice thing lately.
It's a program called "EvilLyrics".

It basically grabs the title from your current playing song (supports Winamp, Windows Media Player and some more stuff), and looks it up on the internet. The results from various lyrics-pages are parsed and displayed to you nicely (well, most of the time).

There's also a karaoke-mode. It's very simple (not like "real" karaoke), it just scrolls down the lines in time (synced to the song -- given that you've got the same song length as the one who recorded the file).

The nice thing about this karaoke mode is, that it can interacted with Milkdrop (a popular Winamp visualization plugin), ie. send the messages to it. So it kind of looks cool.

Enough talking, here you've got a screenshot!

Great, huh?

Of course not all lyrics can be found, it depends a bit on "how popular" the song is. Sometimes (1 in 10 or 1 in 20 maybe) you'll get artefacts from badly parsed webpages, but you can skip to the next result.
Nice side-effect is, that over time, your own lyrics-base will be built up.

Overall a nice tool. I'm using the latest nightly build (developer-version), it has got more functions and works better IMO than the last stable build (which is still from 2004).

So here you go:

http://www.evillabs.sk/evillyrics/

Enjoy!
Unread 30 Apr 2005, 03:23   #2
JetLinus

JetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud of
Arrow Re: Need lyrics? (winamp-plugin)

Oh, I just noticed:
If you really gonna use the integrated Milkdrop-Stuff (start Milkdrop from the toolbar button in Evillyrics), you should BACKUP your milk_msg.ini file in the winam\plugins dir. This is the way that Evillyrics communicates with Milkdrop, and apparently the file gets deleted once in a while (then messages don't work in Milkdrop anymore).
There is a "milk_msg.original.ini" file you can use. But if you've already created a custom file by yourself, this would be lost.
So backup.

Maybe this is because of the developer-unstable-version, dunno...
Unread 1 May 2005, 23:45   #3
JetLinus

So, just curious: Did anyone try it? Satisfied?
Anything cool / uncool about it?
Unread 2 May 2005, 00:42   #4
JetLinus

Did you at least look at the screenshot?
Unread 2 May 2005, 01:22   #5
JetLinus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavius
winamp is good to play songs, and that's it. If i want the lyrics, i google for it
That's right, actually exactly my point all the time. But then this discussion about "when lyrics become illegal" (at least in Germany) came up, and I thought: Well, take what you can get.
Your own lyrics-base, independent from the internet, why not?

Apart from that, I'm not THAT interested in lyrics either (apart from the fact that I barely understand 30% of English lyrics just from listening anyway).

But listening to a song you like, looking at the colorful visualisation and watching the bright lyrics flying at you, THAT's more intense than just listening to music.
And that's what made me create this thread...
Unread 2 May 2005, 17:57   #6
SepH
no

SepH is a splendid one to beholdSepH is a splendid one to beholdSepH is a splendid one to beholdSepH is a splendid one to beholdSepH is a splendid one to beholdSepH is a splendid one to beholdSepH is a splendid one to beholdSepH is a splendid one to behold
Re: Need lyrics? (winamp-plugin)

It looks very ace! thanks! (pos rep for JetLinus)
SepH is offline   Reply With Quote