User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Strategic Discussions

Unread 5 Jun 2003, 09:16   #1
TheShadowMan
Choice of Whacker sir?

TheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud of
Zik start sleet

Neverplayed zik so help me out guys

Ideas

1.Thief/Maruader/Pod

Might get some vults

2. Cutter, Marauder,Pod

All frigate will hit fi/co/fr most commmon ships

3.rogue,Cutter,pod

get demeters

corsairs,cutlass clippers for alliance/me defence covers all pods

SO what do ye think. If have a change can explain why cos I'm not to up on things with zik. Also I will probably be attacking xans and terrans primarily, and then caths.

Thanks in advance

The_Shadow_Man
Unread 5 Jun 2003, 09:25   #2
Wandows
[Vision]

Wandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond repute
hmm if u read around a bit u'll find plenty of info about a zik fleet i think

i think best ways are:

fi/Co fleet meaning u need to fleet hunt some Xan's for their vults
use corsairs/cutlass/thiefs and brigs as fleet.. can be well used on attacks and defence

a cutter/clipper/pod fleet is according to some ppl a very effective and dangerous fleet, could be worth a try

or go for a DE fleet with clippers/rogues/buccaneers & stolen pegs/demeters

but i think fleet stealing will be very hard this round as everyone has newsies and all, so their won't be much surprises on attack, i would say the cutter/clipper/pod fleet would be most usefull, and u can always add some rogues or other steals ships to it to try and open some extra options for u later on by stealing pods on ur targets planet

[edit] please note that i never played zik before (not really atleast :P) and that i have taken the above from other posts or from what i heard from other [/edit]
Unread 5 Jun 2003, 09:28   #3
TheShadowMan
Choice of Whacker sir?

TheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud of
Thanks m8 :-)
Unread 5 Jun 2003, 15:50   #4
Fasie

Fasie is an unknown quantity at this point
The best thing to do for any zik player is to go for ships only (ok roids are nice offc).
Cause everyne can build everythig allready, but NOT in large amonts, in a normal game your income would be prolly higher then what you get now and you would have a fleet allread.
At this time there will be loads of people who have just a few ships of the kind you would like. Especially terrans, so get a cath to double up whith and go get yourself the ships, you can make a deal that you send less pods in attack so that the cath player will get enough for his trouble !!!
Good hunting !!
Unread 6 Jun 2003, 15:48   #5
Baco
-= Plush Puppet =-

Baco is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Wandows
i think best ways are:

fi/Co fleet meaning u need to fleet hunt some Xan's for their vults
use corsairs/cutlass/thiefs and brigs as fleet.. can be well used on attacks and defence

a cutter/clipper/pod fleet is according to some ppl a very effective and dangerous fleet, could be worth a try

or go for a DE fleet with clippers/rogues/buccaneers & stolen pegs/demeters

but i think fleet stealing will be very hard this round as everyone has newsies and all, so their won't be much surprises on attack, i would say the cutter/clipper/pod fleet would be most usefull, and u can always add some rogues or other steals ships to it to try and open some extra options for u later on by stealing pods on ur targets planet
It's my 1st time playing Zik and I'm trying to make 2 attacking fleets, the last 2.

Zik DE's r very powerfull and cutters combined with clippers kill almost all types of ships used in defence....
just my 2 cents...

r4 - 133:25:?? PTA
r5 - 35:7:?? MI/ViruS/NoS/PTA
r6 - 21:7:4 NoS/PTA
r7 - 21:4:12 NoS/PTA
r8 - 25:5:9 NoS / Titans & Plush / PTA
r9 - 24:2:7 Olympians / PTA
WC4 - 1:6:4 winner gal
r9.5 - 42:7:8 & 11:2:25 & 19:2:16 Olympians / PTA / Plush
r10 - XX:YY:ZZ RaH!
Baco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Jun 2003, 20:05   #6
MadeMan
180º

MadeMan is an unknown quantity at this point
cutter+clipper+pods no more no less
MadeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Jun 2003, 21:08   #7
SYMM
Love's Sweet Exile

SYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better place
...is the way to get chucked out of/not allowed into an alliance.

I agree, but you need to add FI, so corsairs too
Unread 7 Jun 2003, 01:24   #8
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Quote:
Originally posted by SYMM
...is the way to get chucked out of/not allowed into an alliance.

I agree, but you need to add FI, so corsairs too

DONT BUILD CORSAIRS!!!

Cutlasses are clearly superior, AND they wont target my Crusiers .

CR caths would simply love to take on a Clipper/Cutter/pod combo... adding corsairs means that they'll take losses
Ultimate Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Jun 2003, 08:39   #9
SepH
no

SepH is a splendid one to beholdSepH is a splendid one to beholdSepH is a splendid one to beholdSepH is a splendid one to beholdSepH is a splendid one to beholdSepH is a splendid one to beholdSepH is a splendid one to beholdSepH is a splendid one to behold
Question Another lame zik question ;)

I was wondering if the clipper was worth building this round, I played PA since round 4, but took a break during rounds 8 + 9...Before round 8 + 9 Clippers were very good ships if i recall correctley..now people are telling me to build brigs because they kill more efficientley and they have more armor...looking at the stats this could be true..

so, i could use your help on this one...

ppl who help me get a kitten and a cookie

-----------
update:
according to all the nice matrixes* (sp?) i've looked at the brig is only minorly more efficient in all cases...but the clipper has a better initiative and targets all...but the brig has the better armor :P..so now im really torn up...
Brig or Clip?

Last edited by SepH; 7 Jun 2003 at 08:49.
SepH is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Jun 2003, 08:55   #10
das_experiment

das_experiment is an unknown quantity at this point
depends if you go CO or DE fleet.

If i were you id build Clippers
das_experiment is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Jun 2003, 09:25   #11
Gerbie
pe0n

Gerbie is an unknown quantity at this point
Clippers are one of the best ships a zik has. Personally I think that after the Guardian it is the best ship in the game. And it is a Crystal sink. It doesn't fit in a fi/co fleet, but it's essential in a De fleet and the fr/de fleet.
round 7 noob: rank 6.198 25:20:25 - VoC member
round 8 noob: rank 4.112 7:2:3 - TFD member
round 9 rank 941 23:1:9 - TFD HC
round 9.5 rank 860 22:7:3 - TFD HC
round 10: rank unknown (was #1 for a while) 5:2:5 - Vengeance pe0n
round 10.5: rank 683 19:10:2 - VGN member
round 11: rank 138 8:8:4 - VsN member
round 12: rank 515 - VGN 'special attack officer' -> jumped ship to Rock
round 13: rank 85: NoS
Gerbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Jun 2003, 10:33   #12
TheShadowMan
Choice of Whacker sir?

Thanks for input guys.

Yeh i have gone with a fleet of cutter/clipper/pod

And i use corsair/cutlass/thief for defence

What ye think of mauraders? An odd time i steal some black widows or pods but thats about it

Al
Unread 7 Jun 2003, 10:48   #13
Gerbie
pe0n

Gerbie is an unknown quantity at this point
Marauders don't fit well in your attack fleet. They steal Fr/Co: Co would be an extra class of ships for your attack fleet. Rogues fit better and can also steal black widows. But a few would be nice.
round 7 noob: rank 6.198 25:20:25 - VoC member
round 8 noob: rank 4.112 7:2:3 - TFD member
round 9 rank 941 23:1:9 - TFD HC
round 9.5 rank 860 22:7:3 - TFD HC
round 10: rank unknown (was #1 for a while) 5:2:5 - Vengeance pe0n
round 10.5: rank 683 19:10:2 - VGN member
round 11: rank 138 8:8:4 - VsN member
round 12: rank 515 - VGN 'special attack officer' -> jumped ship to Rock
round 13: rank 85: NoS
Gerbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Jun 2003, 16:28   #14
General Martok
used to register

General Martok has a spectacular aura aboutGeneral Martok has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally posted by Gerbie
Marauders don't fit well in your attack fleet. They steal Fr/Co: Co would be an extra class of ships for your attack fleet. Rogues fit better and can also steal black widows. But a few would be nice.
Just dont take you marauders with you if you're gonna cap corvettes, that's where bcalc.com (as long as it's up) is perfect for
R1: ??:?? | R2: 51:6 | R3: 37:12 | R4: 186:13 | R5: 13:17 | R6: 1:25
R7: 15:14 | R8: 34:4 / 52:10 ¤ | R9: 16:2 | R9.5: 34:6 / 41:6 ¤
R10: 2:2 | R10.5: 15:4 | R11: 28:8 | R12: 22:9

Damn, outdated and too lazy to edit, retired now
-----
Started playing again Still too lazy to update though
General Martok is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Jun 2003, 00:00   #15
TheShadowMan
Choice of Whacker sir?

Heh its funny i nearly got a xan fleet now just missing vults.
Unread 8 Jun 2003, 00:15   #16
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Quote:
Originally posted by Gerbie
Marauders don't fit well in your attack fleet.
wtf?

Marauders, not only steal FR for you to improve your Frigate fleet (like BW), BUT their main role is to provide armoured flak for your FR pods.

Obviously if you are going for a DE fleet, then rogues are superior - but arent we talking about a Clipper/Cutter/Pod/(marauder) fleet?

imo build the marauders - iirc they are the best stealer the Ziks have in terms of efficiency (though i might be wrong on that).
Unread 8 Jun 2003, 03:19   #17
Supernova9
m u p p e t

Supernova9 is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Originally posted by Ultimate Newbie
wtf?

Marauders, not only steal FR for you to improve your Frigate fleet (like BW), BUT their main role is to provide armoured flak for your FR pods.

Obviously if you are going for a DE fleet, then rogues are superior - but arent we talking about a Clipper/Cutter/Pod/(marauder) fleet?

imo build the marauders - iirc they are the best stealer the Ziks have in terms of efficiency (though i might be wrong on that).
Hang on, Rogues steal DE (Useful for Pegs + Dems for a DE fleet) and also FR (For BWs). A clipper/cutter/pod fleet already has DEs in it, so Rogues would not increase. Oh, and cutters are very popular already, due to the large numbers of Xan, they also have the same armour value as marauders (but cost less, thus more armour for your resources) and have a higher EMP resistance, so how are they better armoured flak?
Unread 9 Jun 2003, 21:41   #18
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Quote:
Originally posted by Supernova9
Hang on, Rogues steal DE (Useful for Pegs + Dems for a DE fleet) and also FR (For BWs). A clipper/cutter/pod fleet already has DEs in it, so Rogues would not increase. Oh, and cutters are very popular already, due to the large numbers of Xan, they also have the same armour value as marauders (but cost less, thus more armour for your resources) and have a higher EMP resistance, so how are they better armoured flak?
Ah yes, you are correct. I do not know what planet i am on. Many apologies...

For the record, the Cutter and Marauder have the same armour, but the marauder costs an additional 1000 resources.

I'd like to point out that, to an extent, my statement of using marauders as flak still stands - you capture FR such as BW whilst providing armoured flak for your FR pods. Rogues only do that in the case of units firing from DE to FR - whilst hte Marauder flaks them always .

Cutters are so popular cos all Zik ships cost such a stupid amount of C. Clippers are 5kM/9kC, Rogues are 7.5k/8.5k and maraduers are 1:1...
Unread 10 Jun 2003, 16:35   #19
Wandows
[Vision]

Wandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by TheShadowMan

And i use corsair/cutlass/thief for defence
please don't forget the brig its initiative might suck extremely, but it kills damn well \o/ and it can finish the killing job for the corsairs when they are attracting and wasting the fire of for example pegs and widowmakers
Unread 10 Jun 2003, 19:53   #20
MAdnRisKy
home wrecker

MAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to behold
hehe the only way to play zik is to use thieves.

lots and lots and lots of thieves....

#pr0nstars - a pimp is for life, not just for christmas
MAdnRisKy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Jun 2003, 22:46   #21
Teddy_Bear
The Original Teddy

Teddy_Bear will become famous soon enoughTeddy_Bear will become famous soon enough
i play zik with clippers and cutters as the back bone of the fleet, which work well with cutlass,

and with plays tending to stick to only building certin ships like (pegs/dems/chim or tara/mantis) send in the stealing ships

some may agree with the manual when it says zik is the hardest to play with cos you have to change ur fleet around to expose ur targets weak spots

well thats what i think and it playing fine with me
Unread 17 Jun 2003, 19:16   #22
TheShadowMan
Choice of Whacker sir?

Hey quick update

This is my preferred zik fleet for attacking

clipper/cutter/marader/chimeras/pods

Do u think i would be better of building more pods or more mauraders?
Unread 17 Jun 2003, 20:19   #23
hyfe
Dum Di Dum Di

hyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet society
Quote:
Originally posted by TheShadowMan

Do u think i would be better of building more pods or more mauraders?
whatever you do; try to keep as few pods as possible.. astropods die like flies and you're much better off with any other frigate
Unread 18 Jun 2003, 03:02   #24
MAdnRisKy
home wrecker

MAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to behold
marauders = pods anyway since you'll end up stealing a lot of them. so i'd go for marauders, (and get some cat fs)

#pr0nstars - a pimp is for life, not just for christmas
MAdnRisKy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Jun 2003, 14:06   #25
marmor

marmor is an unknown quantity at this point
Before this round i was thinking of going for the DE-class. Cap some pegs and dems to make a fleet of pegs, clippers, rogues, buccaneers and dems. but as the time went by, i ended up with about 100 vults from deff-missions. So I've gone from the DE-class to the FI/COs. The FI/COs consists of spids, beetles, (corsairs), cutlasses, vults, brigs, thieves and other xan ships. Attack xans and you'll surly get a good roidingfleet.
Unread 19 Jun 2003, 15:58   #26
marmor

marmor is an unknown quantity at this point
Before this round i was thinking of going for the DE-class. Cap some pegs and dems to make a fleet of pegs, clippers, rogues, buccaneers and dems. but as the time went by, i ended up with about 100 vults from deff-missions. So I've gone from the DE-class to the FI/COs. The FI/COs consists of spids, beetles, (corsairs), cutlasses, vults, brigs, thieves and other xan ships. Attack xans and you'll surly get a good roidingfleet.
Unread 19 Jun 2003, 22:48   #27
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

great double-posting skillz there Marmor

I still maintain that the FR fleet is the best Ziks can do as it eliminated their dependency on Pods. But whatever rocks your boat...
Unread 20 Jun 2003, 12:43   #28
at0mic.c0w
Käptn Karacho

at0mic.c0w is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by Ultimate Newbie
great double-posting skillz there Marmor

I still maintain that the FR fleet is the best Ziks can do as it eliminated their dependency on Pods. But whatever rocks your boat...
with so many inactives, n00bs and general "dont care" players around its not hard to cap a decent amount of pegs/dems...
Unread 20 Jun 2003, 23:58   #29
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Quote:
Originally posted by at0mic.c0w
with so many inactives, n00bs and general "dont care" players around its not hard to cap a decent amount of pegs/dems...
What about 'less hard than previous rounds'? because i still hear people whinging about how hard it is to cap DE, and they only have 40 dems etc etc