User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 18 Dec 2002, 05:10   #1
Malor

Talking I saw LOTR: TT!

It absolutely rocks. Though a few things are not entirely to my liking, Legolas and Gimli make up for a lot ;-)
Unread 18 Dec 2002, 05:17   #2
Apothos
Not Dark or Handsome
Treasure Diver Champion, Alien Commander Champion, Magic Ball Champion

Apothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so little
Ooh, cool - did they have a midnight showing or something?
Unread 18 Dec 2002, 05:22   #3
WarFalcon
Freedom First

WarFalcon is an unknown quantity at this point
I assume it comes out quicker in the Netherlands...
WarFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Dec 2002, 05:26   #4
Apothos
Not Dark or Handsome

Apothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so little
Quote:
Originally posted by WarFalcon
I assume it comes out quicker in the Netherlands...
Comes out today everywhere doesnt it?
Unread 18 Dec 2002, 05:45   #5
WarFalcon
Freedom First

WarFalcon is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Apothos
Comes out today everywhere doesnt it?

It comes out tomorrow (18th) here in the states, I dunno when it comes out elsewhere. I guess time zones could explain it too...
WarFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Dec 2002, 06:09   #6
Malor

Well, the movie started about 6 hours ago, in the Wednesday the 18th 00:00 screening. I was just lucky to be in an early zone, I guess.

What matters is that I have seen it and that you should all go see it.

(That is if you like this kind of movie offc)
Unread 18 Dec 2002, 06:13   #7
W
Gubbish

W is a jewel in the roughW is a jewel in the roughW is a jewel in the rough
I saw it too, and must say, Gollum was utterly well made.
The battles could have been better/longer tho, and the music didn't quite manage to draw me in.
Unread 18 Dec 2002, 06:23   #8
Apothos
Not Dark or Handsome

Now i gotta keep out of threads, cos i promised to take my sister on Monday.
Unread 18 Dec 2002, 09:11   #9
Monkeypimp
Banned

Monkeypimp is an unknown quantity at this point
Well Elijah Wood was in town today so the advamced showing must have been at midnight this morning because the film comes out here tomorrow.

I live in Wellington, New Zealand GMT+13 atm
Monkeypimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Dec 2002, 10:01   #10
Psi_K
Canadian to the Core

Psi_K is a jewel in the roughPsi_K is a jewel in the roughPsi_K is a jewel in the roughPsi_K is a jewel in the rough
Well it's now 4 am, returned from my 12:02!am showing of LOTR:TT!
And I must say, it absolutely rocked.
The fight scenes were top notch, the story was somewhat close to the book, though not entirely, and again Legolas wins best kill awards
r18-19 [eXi]
<Intermission>
r31-32 [CT] - r33-35 [DLR] - r36 [VsN] - r37 [???]
r45-46 [FAnG]
Psi_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Dec 2002, 10:07   #11
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
If I didn't have several huge ass exams this week, I'd be going asap. Maybe I'll just go tomorrow and hope for an Ancient History christmas gift on friday
Unread 18 Dec 2002, 12:15   #12
RiCo

I saw it too.. Owns... It's exactly 12 houres since I saw it now

00:02 CEST 18th of December..

Bit mildly rated in Norway tho.. 11 years.. It's quite brutal..
Unread 18 Dec 2002, 12:46   #13
RiCo

Re: w00T

Quote:
Originally posted by Naps
im off to see it at 1PM!!!!!!

RAH1111111111111!!!!!!!!!!111
Prepare to be amazed!
Unread 18 Dec 2002, 13:16   #14
m.ar.d

gollum/smeagol was fantastic. the actor is surley going to be nominated for the oscars
Unread 18 Dec 2002, 13:19   #15
RiCo

Quote:
Originally posted by m.ar.d
gollum/smeagol was fantastic. the actor is surley going to be nominated for the oscars
I thought he was a computer animation. He sure looked like it anyways.
Unread 18 Dec 2002, 15:07   #16
[GAP]Obiwan

[GAP]Obiwan is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by RiCo
I thought he was a computer animation. He sure looked like it anyways.
The voice/movements were done by the same bloke - me forgets name
[ICE]DC
[Deus]
[Tok'ra]
[Ostraka]
www.tit.aresexy.com
[GAP]Obiwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Dec 2002, 15:12   #17
Jammers

Jammers has a little shameless behaviour in the past
I would go and see it, but since the first one was somewhat dubious, and the books even more so, I don't think I'll bother.
I shall instead save my money for when a decent movie comes out that doesn't feature kleptomaniac gnomes who wander the countryside talking to wizards who are quite blatantly dead. Gandalf, for instance.
Unread 18 Dec 2002, 15:15   #18
[GAP]Obiwan

[GAP]Obiwan is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Jammers
I would go and see it, but since the first one was somewhat dubious, and the books even more so, I don't think I'll bother.
I shall instead save my money for when a decent movie comes out that doesn't feature kleptomaniac gnomes who wander the countryside talking to wizards who are quite blatantly dead. Gandalf, for instance.
this is a joke right?
[ICE]DC
[Deus]
[Tok'ra]
[Ostraka]
www.tit.aresexy.com
[GAP]Obiwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Dec 2002, 15:18   #19
Jammers

Quote:
Originally posted by [GAP]Obiwan
this is a joke right?

3 hours of rambling about some ring that should just be thrown into a deep lake is too much. The only decent bit was at the end, and then everyone ended up dead or captured, apart from Hobo Baggins, who muttered something about mordor being over the next hill.
Unread 18 Dec 2002, 16:31   #20
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Jammers you are a tit.
How the Beaujolais is raining
Down on darkened meetings on the Champs Élysées
Phang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Dec 2002, 16:31   #21
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Jammers you are a tit.
How the Beaujolais is raining
Down on darkened meetings on the Champs Élysées
Phang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Dec 2002, 16:39   #22
Jammers

Quote:
Originally posted by Phang
Jammers you are a tit.
That is as maybe, but I won't end up wasting 6hours of the next two years watching a crappy film.
Unread 18 Dec 2002, 17:14   #23
Akallabeth
Insomniac

Akallabeth is an unknown quantity at this point
fkin amazing, TT is ... fkin amazing
Unread 18 Dec 2002, 17:36   #24
SepH
no

SepH is a splendid one to beholdSepH is a splendid one to beholdSepH is a splendid one to beholdSepH is a splendid one to beholdSepH is a splendid one to beholdSepH is a splendid one to beholdSepH is a splendid one to beholdSepH is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
That is as maybe, but I won't end up wasting 6hours of the next two years watching a crappy film.
its not a waste of time for those who dó like it....
SepH is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Dec 2002, 18:00   #25
Add

Add will become famous soon enoughAdd will become famous soon enough
Quote:
i physically detest all things roleplay/troll etc related, but i have to say, i just saw LotR:TT and it was AMAZING. Gollam was brilliant, and the battle scenes wow-som. and the bit with legolas and the shield on the stairs... i was just like oh yeah
Unread 18 Dec 2002, 18:17   #26
LHC
J to the C to the A G E

LHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet society
I do actually look forward to the Two Towers, although I wasn't so impressed by the first one. I didn't like the first book either though....

The first one just involves 3 hours of running away, hardly exciting.
LHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Dec 2002, 18:24   #27
Belgarath The Sorcerer
First Disciple of Aldur

Belgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud of
I'm going to the 8.15pm showing at the Odeon Cinema, Blackpool, tonight.

see you there.
Unread 18 Dec 2002, 21:22   #28
Flayer
Wankoverable

Flayer is a glorious beacon of lightFlayer is a glorious beacon of lightFlayer is a glorious beacon of lightFlayer is a glorious beacon of lightFlayer is a glorious beacon of lightFlayer is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
3 hours of rambling about some ring that should just be thrown into a deep lake is too much. The only decent bit was at the end, and then everyone ended up dead or captured, apart from Hobo Baggins, who muttered something about mordor being over the next hill.
NO! Remember: the One Ring is not just a ring, it WANTS to be found, and it WILL be found! We cannot take the risk! It must not be carelessly thrown in the sea.
Unread 18 Dec 2002, 21:23   #29
Flayer
Wankoverable

Flayer is a glorious beacon of lightFlayer is a glorious beacon of lightFlayer is a glorious beacon of lightFlayer is a glorious beacon of lightFlayer is a glorious beacon of lightFlayer is a glorious beacon of light
Re: I saw LOTR: TT!

Quote:
Originally posted by Malor
I saw LOTR: TT!
Can I touch you???
Unread 18 Dec 2002, 21:40   #30
Jammers

Quote:
Originally posted by Flayer
NO! Remember: the One Ring is not just a ring, it WANTS to be found, and it WILL be found! We cannot take the risk! It must not be carelessly thrown in the sea.

but ring wraiths can't swim. why else didn't they just run accross the river and kill bilbo et al and take the ring?
Unread 18 Dec 2002, 21:48   #31
Add

Add will become famous soon enoughAdd will become famous soon enough
Quote:
but ring wraiths can't swim. why else didn't they just run accross the river and kill bilbo et al and take the ring?
might have been something to do with the huge rush of water that came down the river and swept them away...
Unread 18 Dec 2002, 21:55   #32
Daerion

Returned from the show about an hour ago.
It was merely amazing, the treemen are my personal heroes, heh.
Unread 18 Dec 2002, 22:10   #33
Black Dog
Dazed and Confused

Black Dog is just really niceBlack Dog is just really niceBlack Dog is just really niceBlack Dog is just really nice
I'm with Jammers.

The very idea of three films and books about a bunch of made up races fighting to protect a midget with oversized feet from certain doom because he's holding a hissing ring is just a bit silly.

The fact that it's going to take them over 9 hours to tell this amazing story means that I have better things to do.
Black Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Dec 2002, 22:12   #34
Pineapple
Banned

Pineapple is an unknown quantity at this point
the ents were always going to be the best really!

legolas and gimli’s little 'frag' competition was ace, such brill characters, really make the film/book.

Was disappointed in how much they have saved for the last film, but I guess it’s only to be expected.
Pineapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Dec 2002, 22:40   #35
Jammers

Quote:
Originally posted by Add
might have been something to do with the huge rush of water that came down the river and swept them away...
I seem to recall them standing around for a few minutes before the tidal wave while the elf princess said some stuff about how the elves will save everyone from the evil ring wraiths, who might actually be good people.
Unread 18 Dec 2002, 23:03   #36
RIT

I just saw it, bloody amazing, there are some parts I dont like, or I should say disagree with, for example when the elves show up at helms deep and when Faramir takes Frodo and Sam half way to Gondor. Ah well!
Unread 19 Dec 2002, 00:51   #37
Taratang
Superluminal Mod(retired)

Taratang is just really niceTaratang is just really niceTaratang is just really niceTaratang is just really nice
"You're going to have to toss me! Don't tell the elf!"
Taratang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Dec 2002, 00:55   #38
W
Gubbish

W is a jewel in the roughW is a jewel in the roughW is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
What, you're gonna waste a whole lifetime just living?
Unread 19 Dec 2002, 02:12   #39
wu_trax

i love that movie. the only bad thing is that it takes another whole year until the last part comes out
Unread 19 Dec 2002, 06:06   #40
Cuddley_Battleship
Luminous Flux

Cuddley_Battleship is infamous around these partsCuddley_Battleship is infamous around these partsCuddley_Battleship is infamous around these partsCuddley_Battleship is infamous around these partsCuddley_Battleship is infamous around these partsCuddley_Battleship is infamous around these parts
I loved it, and I didn't even like the first movie.

Go ahead, throw trash at me all you want...
Unread 19 Dec 2002, 13:14   #41
End in Tears

Its worth watching just for the Dwarf tossing
Unread 26 Dec 2002, 16:24   #42
djbass
mmm.. pills

djbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond repute
Unlike the rest of you lucky bastards we didn't get to see it till the 26th.

Anyway, it was quite ace. I was pleasently surprised that they included Gandalf's fall to the bottom of Khaza'Dum.

I think one of the other reason's I enjoyed this one more is that I didn't bother to recap on the books before seeing it so I wasn't picking out all the changes and instead just enjoyed it for what it was.

I liked the way Wormtongue and Theoden were both portrayed. They made Wormtongue better than what my imagination could conjure up, my version was a lot more wimpy. I liked how well they made Theoden look so old and almost at death's door.

I respect what they did with Treebeard, but I had always thought of him as being much much taller, like enough that he was able to see over the forest, but in the movie most of the trees were bigger than he was.

I made the mistake of reading this thread before I saw the movie so I wasn't sure what to expect of Golum. I don't really know how to interpret most of the comments about him in this thread, but my own experience was that he made me laugh. If this is worthy of an oscar so be it, but if you mean for the acting, what acting? His voice acting was pretty average, and although they captured his movements for the CGI, the final expressions etc were all done by the CGI team.

=[DJ Bass]=
Unread 26 Dec 2002, 16:44   #43
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by djbass
His voice acting was pretty average, and although they captured his movements for the CGI, the final expressions etc were all done by the CGI team.
Incorrect. All of the facial expressions were performed by Andy Serkis and captured in the same way as the body motion for the CGI version of Gollum.
Unread 26 Dec 2002, 16:55   #44
deerbarn
Anal Crumb

deerbarn is a splendid one to beholddeerbarn is a splendid one to beholddeerbarn is a splendid one to beholddeerbarn is a splendid one to beholddeerbarn is a splendid one to beholddeerbarn is a splendid one to beholddeerbarn is a splendid one to behold
Didnt it actually say in the books that treebeard was only 9ft or something
Unread 26 Dec 2002, 17:00   #45
djbass
mmm.. pills

djbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by Leshy
Incorrect. All of the facial expressions were performed by Andy Serkis and captured in the same way as the body motion for the CGI version of Gollum.
No doubt, but the actor's facial features are radically different to those of Gollum's. It would have mapped his movements approximately, but they still would have needed to do a little housekeeping for the final finished version. The goofyness of Gollum's form was his only redeeming feature.

=[DJ Bass]=
Unread 27 Dec 2002, 20:50   #46
NotLife
Supreme Being

NotLife is an unknown quantity at this point
good movie

Me
NotLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Dec 2002, 20:50   #47
NotLife
Supreme Being

NotLife is an unknown quantity at this point
good movie

Me
NotLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Dec 2002, 23:41   #48
Cartimandua

aaargh, what have they done to faramir? nice gollum, battle scenes, rohirrim tho...
Unread 29 Dec 2002, 11:33   #49
Skitz Mickz

Quote:
Originally posted by deerbarn
Didnt it actually say in the books that treebeard was only 9ft or something
remember that the hobbits are only about 4' or summin.
although the ents verse teh Orcs show teh size being wrong...but they weren't far off.

The obvious blue-screen when Pippin (?) was looking over the trees was dissapointing.

However, Gollum/Smeagol was incredible and i was left wondering whether it was a guy in a suit or a puppet, not a CGI character...
The Battles were amazing, even if they were slightly out of sinc with the book...
The music was great in the battle prep. where all the innocents were facing death etc...

all round good movie in my opinion, taking the books out of the picture.