User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 10 Jan 2006, 06:30   #51
Pennywiser
Xanadu

Pennywiser will become famous soon enoughPennywiser will become famous soon enough
Re: National Stereotypes

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyfe
I started writing this post as an reply to another thread, but then realised I'm really ****ing curious what everybody else think, as I know my opinions stem from a really small sample sizes. Soo.. please write down your experiences with different nationalities

(oh, sorry if this is a shit thread)

-------------------

Norwegians are normal.

Brits are normal (albeit often smelly, ugly and have yellow teeth, aswell as slightly chubby and unattractivily pale).

Americans are superficial and say nice stuff to eachother without meaning it, have white teeth and are generally good-looking, most their conversation are on autopilot and hence they're not really listening. They're really ****ing afraid of confrontations, and If they offend somebody they'll just keep on smiling and pretending nothing happended. They're hard to get on with over time, as they seem so ****ing normal but inside they're all basketcases.

Russians guys are ugly, unattractive, generally ignorant and live with their parents waaay to long. Russian girls are beatifull, attractive, ignorant and generally have issues.

Spanish guys are weird as hell and spy on people with videocameraes. Spanish girls are totally ****ing unapproachable.

Khazakstanian people are really ****ing cool.

Moldovian people are really ****ing lying cheating scumbags, not to mention reasonably stupid, really full of themselves although still fairly likeable.

[edit: whoever modded me for having 1 grammatical error. Please **** off, that's still less than the average of you native speakers]

hyfe!!!!

how are you mate, come back to irc drop by #kon some time we miss you

Ni!
rd 5 [Xanadu]
rd 6 [Xanadu]
rd 7 [Xanadu] [Bull]
rd 8 [MadCowS] MO
rd 9 [MadCowS] MO
rd 15 [eXilition] DC
rd 16 [reinVENted]

Proud to be [Xanadu]
Pennywiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Jan 2006, 06:31   #52
Pennywiser
Xanadu

Pennywiser will become famous soon enoughPennywiser will become famous soon enough

i aint seen anyone post what they think the typical Australian sterotype is ?
rd 5 [Xanadu]
rd 6 [Xanadu]
rd 7 [Xanadu] [Bull]
rd 8 [MadCowS] MO
rd 9 [MadCowS] MO
rd 15 [eXilition] DC
rd 16 [reinVENted]

Proud to be [Xanadu]
Unread 10 Jan 2006, 08:19   #53
Chunderbunny

Chunderbunny has a reputation beyond reputeChunderbunny has a reputation beyond reputeChunderbunny has a reputation beyond reputeChunderbunny has a reputation beyond reputeChunderbunny has a reputation beyond reputeChunderbunny has a reputation beyond reputeChunderbunny has a reputation beyond reputeChunderbunny has a reputation beyond reputeChunderbunny has a reputation beyond reputeChunderbunny has a reputation beyond reputeChunderbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennywiser
Most Aussies I've met while over here would probably be prime candidates for the 'soon to be sectioned' part of society in the UK....

Good fun to go drinking with though keeps life interesting!

Also might I remind people of the context that these discussions are taking place. In a GD forum on an internet site. Within a different context, say for example a University/higher level academic discussion, i think theres something I could, and probably would pounce on in every single one of the posts above. But it isn't, so I'm not. I'm just here to read some funny posts, hopefully write some myself and occassionally let off steam. I.e. It's kind of entertainment.

Plus, stereotypes are only offensive if you take yourself and whats being said too seriously. And if you take whats being said on a GD forum too seriously, well..... Your probably German.

And a final point, stereotypes work on generalisations. Generalisations are useful tools for us to understand the world around us, and theres nothing inherantly wrong with making or believing a stereotype, as long as we realise and accept it as such. You see, information has this AMAZING property that we can derive multiple meanings and understandings from it given a context. Funny GD post: hahahahaha hes just made a funny. Cultural based market analysis: I think that opinion is a little to crude to provide any decent basis to market this product on. And before anyone jumps on what I just said, please realise that that example was provided off the top of my head.

Portuguese: Love to eat and sleep, don't like working too much. Are really finickity about names
Chunderbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Jan 2006, 11:05   #54
hyfe
Dum Di Dum Di

hyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
****ing fun, in a not-very-subtly kind'a way.. the exact opposite of the british wit.. get drunk alot, but they do it with style (the exact opposite of my impression of the british )

Cool accent. It is impossible to go anywhere without meeting atleast one Austrilian hiking. Swear to god, I met one who was 'just traveling around' on the top of a ****ing mountain while out skiing Norway.

(hi penny!)
Unread 12 Jan 2006, 02:06   #55
dda
USS Oklahoma

dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunderbunny
Portuguese: Love to eat and sleep, don't like working too much. Are really finickity about names
Portuguese are fat guys who like to beat their wives, everyone knows that.

Aussies sit around and drink Fosters when they aren't wrestling crocodiles and going walk about.

Kiwis are the Welsh of the southern hemisphere.
Unread 12 Jan 2006, 03:11   #56
Chunderbunny

Chunderbunny has a reputation beyond reputeChunderbunny has a reputation beyond reputeChunderbunny has a reputation beyond reputeChunderbunny has a reputation beyond reputeChunderbunny has a reputation beyond reputeChunderbunny has a reputation beyond reputeChunderbunny has a reputation beyond reputeChunderbunny has a reputation beyond reputeChunderbunny has a reputation beyond reputeChunderbunny has a reputation beyond reputeChunderbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Actually before I came to Japan and met some Aussies, I only had Steve Irwine (dangerous animal pisser offer extraordinaire) to base my stereotypes on... Though deep down I did suspect they'd just picked up the local lunatic and gave him his own TV show...
Chunderbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Jan 2006, 19:17   #57
da_original_vc

lol i can see a lot of arguments are gona arise from this post
Unread 15 Jan 2006, 23:39   #58
Boogster
I dunno...

Boogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud of

Dutch = darts players
Boogster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Jan 2006, 00:14   #59
Ste
Bored

Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

me and skiddy both think the dutch guy that won the darts thing looks like a less gay version of Silversmoke.

SS - do you have a brother?

yeh so Plastic Brilliance is now known as FOXYSTOAT - Come on by and check it out!
Ste is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Jan 2006, 16:44   #60
Yahwe
I am.

Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Also might I remind people of the context that these discussions are taking place. In a GD forum on an internet site. Within a different context, say for example a University/higher level academic discussion, i think theres something I could, and probably would pounce on in every single one of the posts above.
You must be terribly disapointed that you can't even meet our low standards.

Goodness how sad
Unread 16 Jan 2006, 17:11   #61
Pennywiser
Xanadu

Quote:
Actually before I came to Japan and met some Aussies, I only had Steve Irwine (dangerous animal pisser offer extraordinaire) to base my stereotypes on... Though deep down I did suspect they'd just picked up the local lunatic and gave him his own TV show...
well tbh noone in australia ever drinks fosters, its just marketed in europe/uk as the aussie beer, they would sell far more over there than over here, but the other statements about aussies tend to be correct
rd 5 [Xanadu]
rd 6 [Xanadu]
rd 7 [Xanadu] [Bull]
rd 8 [MadCowS] MO
rd 9 [MadCowS] MO
rd 15 [eXilition] DC
rd 16 [reinVENted]

Proud to be [Xanadu]
Unread 16 Jan 2006, 17:48   #62
wu_trax

wu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet society

I kind of like Fosters, so that statement may be true. I dont care much whether its from australia or not though.
Unread 16 Jan 2006, 20:38   #63
DrNick
Land Based Biped

DrNick is infamous around these partsDrNick is infamous around these partsDrNick is infamous around these parts

Western hemisphere: arrogant and rich, designated everyone on the right the eastern hemisphere.

Eastern hemisphere: poor, resent being named the east, they consider the term east an outmoded concept base on a flat globe. They perfer to be called Hemisphere One.
Unread 16 Jan 2006, 21:13   #64
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

What about the Mongooses? That's a good hemisphere name.

The Fighting Mongooses.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Jan 2006, 21:15   #65
DrNick
Land Based Biped

DrNick is infamous around these partsDrNick is infamous around these partsDrNick is infamous around these parts

If there are mongooses in that continent and not the other one then yes by all means but otherwise no because it will look poorly researched.
Unread 16 Jan 2006, 21:18   #66
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

There are mongooses everywhere.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Jan 2006, 21:24   #67
DrNick
Land Based Biped

/me is resisting the quite large urge to look over his shoulder