User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 31 May 2010, 23:24   #1
G.K Zhukov
Evil inside

G.K Zhukov is an unknown quantity at this point
Leaving teaching?

My contract is up this summer.

I've been working with kids aged 6-8 since november. I have been teaching maths, norwegian and english. I have not studied these subjects at university level, but that has not been any problem. However, my variant of PGCE (or how it's spelled), was focused on kids aged 13 to 19. It does give me the license to teach from 11 to 19, so I've been teaching outside that limit.

It's certainly been interesting and I had to learn a lot of new things.

Right now I am on strike. The teachers got offered 0.9% payrise and a pot of 1.3% for local rises. However, we have no control over the pot, so many teachers may see little from it. The last six years, the teachers have gotten 14% less than other public sectors employees. And in turn, the private sector have gotten more than the public.

Considering the situation in our schoolsystem and how rotten the employer is, I'm starting to consider leaving teaching.

But what shall I do then? What other jobs could be suitable?
<Almeida> well i like to grow fat myself too, and when i have enough ships then i can engage in big battles
<Nantoz> Zhukov for Lord Protector!
<Jakiri> (Windows)XP was fine on release
G.K Zhukov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Jun 2010, 17:53   #2
KoeN
Lucky
Helicopter Champion

KoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant future
Re: Leaving teaching?

so, you'll stop being a teacher because you won't get enough payrise?

i don't understand. if it was any other job, i would. but i've never heard of anyone going into teaching because of the financial aspect.

also: i'd try to get into Statkraft. most awesome company in Norway.
KoeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Jun 2010, 21:47   #3
Membrivio
Leader of the Membrivians
Curveball Champion, Sober Santa 2 Champion

Membrivio is a splendid one to beholdMembrivio is a splendid one to beholdMembrivio is a splendid one to beholdMembrivio is a splendid one to beholdMembrivio is a splendid one to beholdMembrivio is a splendid one to beholdMembrivio is a splendid one to behold

I think you should strike. Normally I am not a fan of strikes, but if the situation is as described you get banged from behind by the government.

You could consider private schools, a coaching career publicly and privately etc.

Good luck.
R35/36: p3nguins
R37: Evolution
R48: ODDR
R49: CT
[KB] [Mercenaries] [p0ny]

The intelligent man finds almost everything ridiculous, the sensible man hardly anything. (J.W. Goethe)
Membrivio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Jun 2010, 09:09   #4
Kjeldoran
Angels for life !

Kjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Zhukov,

My girlfriend is also a teacher (kindergarden though, age 3-6) and she has similar problems you seem to have. She likes her job alot, but the pay isn't all that great (well it is if you compare the salary-holiday ratio) and she has a hard time finding a fixed position (which is nearly impossible in Belgium).

I don't know if striking really solves anything. In our country they strike for the tiniest thing, which basically renders the concept of striking useless.

Koen, he's probably not into teaching because of the high salary. That doesn't mean he has to pay his bills aswell and we all know life ain't getting any any cheaper, so to attain the same living standards, your salary needs to go up aswell aye.

Rgds, Kj

FAnG Founder | CEO/HC | Ex Gaming Community Senate
Furious Angels Gaming community

FA Gaming community

No need for a disclaimer ...
Kjeldoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Jun 2010, 09:13   #5
Kjeldoran
Angels for life !

Kjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Membrivio View Post
I think you should strike. Normally I am not a fan of strikes, but if the situation is as described you get banged from behind by the government.

You could consider private schools, a coaching career publicly and privately etc.

Good luck.
I'm no fan at all of striking, infact it often has the opposite effect.

e.g. you strike because your company has to fire 100 employees to save money. Ok, so you strike and stop working for 1 week ... during that week, your company will have massive losses, hence even MORE financial problems. So how is that gonna stop them firing those 100 people if all you do is making sure they now have even less money?

I know it's abit simplistic but that's often what it gets down to. The ones that get fired will be the victims of the strike, because the company will pay them alot less as they were planning to, but now they no longer have that money.

E.g. the strikings in Greece are a joke. The country needs to do it or it'll go bankrupt ... so wtf are they striking for? They rather want to go bankrupt ???

FA Gaming community

Unread 2 Jun 2010, 10:07   #6
Razock

Razock is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah can't help you with the other jobs part...don't really know what you like to do. I just say find something you also really like besides teaching.
I feel for you though, i'm also a teacher (history, geography and music), and sometimes got the same feeling here in the Netherlands.

The holiday-payment agrument is false btw kjel. I have to make the same hours, sometimes even more, then all other people. So i still have 40 hour work week and all the hours missed in vacantion you fill up with all the other thousands tasks i have. Checking results of tests, being cop in school hall on the breakes, creating new lesson, meetings with my own section or other directory office, being Mentor of a class. Then i have like 3 taskforces i'm in and i organise a somekind of talentshow where all the kids can do singing and dancing ect.

I have full time job of 27 teaching hours (which is considered full time) BUT attached to those 27 hours there is a certain ammount of hours i HAVE to fullfill. WHich give me that i work the same amount of weeks/hours all other people do but in a shorter period of time. You get those hours in all those kind of examples i gave.
Unread 2 Jun 2010, 10:22   #7
Kjeldoran
Angels for life !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razock View Post
Yeah can't help you with the other jobs part...don't really know what you like to do. I just say find something you also really like besides teaching.
I feel for you though, i'm also a teacher (history, geography and music), and sometimes got the same feeling here in the Netherlands.

The holiday-payment agrument is false btw kjel. I have to make the same hours, sometimes even more, then all other people. So i still have 40 hour work week and all the hours missed in vacantion you fill up with all the other thousands tasks i have. Checking results of tests, being cop in school hall on the breakes, creating new lesson, meetings with my own section or other directory office, being Mentor of a class. Then i have like 3 taskforces i'm in and i organise a somekind of talentshow where all the kids can do singing and dancing ect.

I have full time job of 27 teaching hours (which is considered full time) BUT attached to those 27 hours there is a certain ammount of hours i HAVE to fullfill. WHich give me that i work the same amount of weeks/hours all other people do but in a shorter period of time. You get those hours in all those kind of examples i gave.
Ohh but you don't need to explain me that you do have alot of work, regardless the amount of holiday you have. My gf only has to teach 28 hours a day, but most evenings she has to spend 1-2 hours on preparations.

Maybe I phrased it poorly, as I do know howmuch work a teacher has. Then again, you cannot deny that those 2 months of holiday is something you look forward to and you'll enjoy very much.

Also, I work 40 hours a week but the extra hours I work don't get paid (they call that being flexible) and sometimes I do have to work during the evening when we having a Go Live or when something simply needs to be done.

FA Gaming community

Unread 2 Jun 2010, 12:41   #8
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

People don't become teachers for the pay.

In our school we voted against strike action with the unions, and didn't do it. The students come first and a 2-3 day strike would have a negative impact on their attainment.

If you're in it for the money, you're in the wrong job.
Unread 2 Jun 2010, 12:45   #9
Kjeldoran
Angels for life !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomkat View Post

In our school we voted against strike action with the unions, and didn't do it. The students come first and a 2-3 day strike would have a negative impact on their attainment.

Correct, but you need to make a living aswell ofcourse.

FA Gaming community

Unread 2 Jun 2010, 19:16   #10
SilverSmoke
Guy next door

SilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so little

Quote:

Surely, I'm not sure how different the situation is in your country but over here, except teachers with the highest teaching qualifications maybe, a teacher's salary isn't nearly enough to support a family and decent housing.
Unread 2 Jun 2010, 20:26   #11
Ogami
Penguinnaire

Ogami is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

Are you a teacher? I cant belive they will even let you get close to children
Was behind him...
Ogami is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Jun 2010, 08:44   #12
Tomkat

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSmoke View Post
Surely, I'm not sure how different the situation is in your country but over here, except teachers with the highest teaching qualifications maybe, a teacher's salary isn't nearly enough to support a family and decent housing.
I'd argue that that's kind of subjective as "supporting a family" just means you have enough to food/clothe them so having a very low paid job would probably be enough - you'd just miss out on lots of luxuries.

"Decent" housing - what do you mean? I'll never be able to afford a mansion, no. I'll be able to afford an average house though with the 2.4 children etc.
Unread 3 Jun 2010, 08:45   #13
Tomkat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogami View Post
Are you a teacher? I cant belive they will even let you get close to children
what the **** do you still play this game?

THE COURT ORDER NEVER WENT THROUGH OK... JESUS
Unread 3 Jun 2010, 09:16   #14
Kjeldoran
Angels for life !

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSmoke View Post
Over here (Belgium) their salary is decent. It's around the average wages in the country really.

FA Gaming community

Unread 3 Jun 2010, 20:29   #15
G.K Zhukov
Evil inside

Nobody gets into teaching for the money.

But I have bills to pay. And I want to be able to buy a house/flat some day. It's frustrating to see that people who have no more than ordinary school and left at 19, can have a starting wage just beyond mine (after years and years of university studies. Not to mention that they usually also have a lot less responsibility. Doesn't exactly make me feel appreciated.
<Almeida> well i like to grow fat myself too, and when i have enough ships then i can engage in big battles
Unread 4 Jun 2010, 10:09   #16
Kjeldoran
Angels for life !

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.K Zhukov View Post

But I have bills to pay. And I want to be able to buy a house/flat some day. It's frustrating to see that people who have no more than ordinary school and left at 19, can have a starting wage just beyond mine (after years and years of university studies. Not to mention that they usually also have a lot less responsibility. Doesn't exactly make me feel appreciated.
Lol, since when do you need Uni studies to become a teacher??? And I don't know where you live, but over here, a teacher earns more then the average job.

FA Gaming community

Unread 4 Jun 2010, 17:01   #17
Membrivio
Leader of the Membrivians
Curveball Champion, Sober Santa 2 Champion

Membrivio is a splendid one to beholdMembrivio is a splendid one to beholdMembrivio is a splendid one to beholdMembrivio is a splendid one to beholdMembrivio is a splendid one to beholdMembrivio is a splendid one to beholdMembrivio is a splendid one to behold

Well, also in The Netherlands you need to have a grade from polytechnic University (in Dutch: Hoger BeroepsOnderwijs (HBO) to be (officially) allowed to be a teacher.

Thus, that is not really strange, Kjeldoran.

I believe Zhukov lives in Norway. And exactly that what you said, namely that someone in Belgium (or The Netherlands for that matter) earns more than an average pay, is the reason why he strikes and why he contemplates about his future. I can understand him for the reason that I cannot believe that such a country with such a (horrendous) large social system funded by unbelievable high taxes allows teachers to be paid less than average.
R35/36: p3nguins
R37: Evolution
R48: ODDR
R49: CT
[KB] [Mercenaries] [p0ny]

The intelligent man finds almost everything ridiculous, the sensible man hardly anything. (J.W. Goethe)
Membrivio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Jun 2010, 14:03   #18
G.K Zhukov
Evil inside

For teaching at "high school level" (where the kids are 16-19) you need to have studied at university.

As many of you know Norway is a functioning welfare state. We have loads of money in our oilfund, so the state finance is secure.

But for the last 6 years, the private sector have gotten better pay rises than the public sector. Teachers have also been getting the worst pay rises among public sector employees...
(same with nurses, they are paid shit. I don't see why anyone should study 3 years at a college to become a nurse after high school)

This year the teachers got offered less than inflation, even if we last years was promised a real rise.

Generally speaking the rising difference between pay in the public sector and the private sector has become so big, specially for those with higher eduction, that it's no longer any point to study to become a public sector employee. In fact, you would be better off just taking high school and getting a job in the industrial sector.
Unread 5 Jun 2010, 15:28   #19
qebab
The Original Carebear

qebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

To be entirely honest, after my what, 12-13 years in the government education system (Whatever the years before university kicks in is called), I can fully appreciate that teachers ought to be paid better because then perhaps more non-idiots would be attracted to teaching.

By non-idiots I mean charismatic people more so than geniuses really. What I mean to say is that I think a lot of people who are able to understand and connect with youngsters / students tend to go elsewhere because the pay is better. There's an extraordinary amount of interesting subjects that just become horrendous when the teacher is someone who just drones on and on without actually being the kind of person you'd want to listen to.

One of the best lecturers I've ever had here at the university is an engineer employed at SINTEF who teaches part time just because he loves mathematics and would love for you to love it too. Those people should be in teaching, but private sector is much better paid so they'll go there instead.

Oh crap, I might be back. I should take my own advice.
qebab is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Jun 2010, 17:11   #20
Tietäjä
Good Son

Tietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better place

I giggle a little every time people from certain types of countries go on a strike due to insufficient pay rises and chant how they deserve more.
Tietäjä is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Jun 2010, 09:44   #21
Kjeldoran
Angels for life !

Quote:
For teaching at "high school level" (where the kids are 16-19) you need to have studied at university.

As many of you know Norway is a functioning welfare state. We have loads of money in our oilfund, so the state finance is secure.

But for the last 6 years, the private sector have gotten better pay rises than the public sector. Teachers have also been getting the worst pay rises among public sector employees...
(same with nurses, they are paid shit. I don't see why anyone should study 3 years at a college to become a nurse after high school)

This year the teachers got offered less than inflation, even if we last years was promised a real rise.

Generally speaking the rising difference between pay in the public sector and the private sector has become so big, specially for those with higher eduction, that it's no longer any point to study to become a public sector employee. In fact, you would be better off just taking high school and getting a job in the industrial sector.
Belgium is the only country in Europe that has an authomatic index, based on the inflation. So every year, sometimes earlier, our Salary gets adjusted to the index (it's never much though). This exactly to prevent people suffering inflation.

FA Gaming community

Unread 7 Jun 2010, 09:59   #22
HeimdallR

HeimdallR will become famous soon enoughHeimdallR will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjeldoran View Post
Belgium is the only country in Europe that has an authomatic index, based on the inflation. So every year, sometimes earlier, our Salary gets adjusted to the index (it's never much though). This exactly to prevent people suffering inflation.
Well if its up to Europe, we won't have it much longer
And it does make us less competitive towards other countries

If life hands you lemons, drink more tequila

After the game is over the king and the pawn end up in the same box

HA - asc -rdm-asc-VR- #ODDR - APP
Finally retired
HeimdallR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Jun 2010, 10:14   #23
Kjeldoran
Angels for life !

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeimdallR View Post
Well if its up to Europe, we won't have it much longer
And it does make us less competitive towards other countries
Yes, I didn't evaluate it aye, I just mentionned it. It has many advantages but also disadvantages and I know Europe doesn't want us to have it :-)

FA Gaming community

Unread 11 Jun 2010, 14:06   #24
All Systems Go

All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjeldoran View Post
Lol, since when do you need Uni studies to become a teacher??? And I don't know where you live, but over here, a teacher earns more then the average job.
Don't know where you come from but that's about to http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/8131075.stmhttp://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/8131075.stm
The 20th century has been characterised by three developments of great political importance. The growth of democracy; the growth of corporate power; and the growth of corporate propaganda as a means of protecting corporate power against democracy.
All Systems Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Jun 2010, 14:08   #25
All Systems Go

All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:

Then again, you got to go to university. I'd much rather spend 3/4 years in university than having a job.
The 20th century has been characterised by three developments of great political importance. The growth of democracy; the growth of corporate power; and the growth of corporate propaganda as a means of protecting corporate power against democracy.
All Systems Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Jun 2010, 14:18   #26
Kjeldoran
Angels for life !

Quote:
Originally Posted by All Systems Go View Post
Belgium.

FA Gaming community