User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions

Unread 12 Sep 2003, 20:26   #1
Jonas
Most unimportant guy...

Jonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond repute
A way to make new players...

It might be worth looking @ Asia. Korea and Japan ++ have had huge gaming communities, and as we all know there are alot of people there. However I dont think I ever met someone from Asia who plays planetarion, well not that far south-east anyhow, and I guess maybe theres quite a market down there for teese games. Have anything been done to get them people in?

-Jonas-

Retired
Jonas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Sep 2003, 22:23   #2
cypher
U've been Moderated

cypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant future
hongkong and singapore have some decent players
cypher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Sep 2003, 22:29   #3
CrazySpoon
Pimpin Spoon

CrazySpoon is on a distinguished road
Re: A way to make new players...

Quote:
Originally posted by Jonas
Have anything been done to get them people in?

-Jonas-
Well, certain PA players spreaded SARS in some of these regions, so people would stay inside and start playing PA. Tho sadly all the ones that wanted to play also died :S

Maybe we need some new tactics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desse
<Desse> go away
<Desse> you are retired
CrazySpoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Sep 2003, 23:13   #4
Auro
I AM OSCAR WILDE

Auro is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: A way to make new players...

Quote:
Originally posted by Jonas
It might be worth looking @ Asia. Korea and Japan ++ have had huge gaming communities, and as we all know there are alot of people there. However I dont think I ever met someone from Asia who plays planetarion, well not that far south-east anyhow, and I guess maybe theres quite a market down there for teese games. Have anything been done to get them people in?

-Jonas-
I am.

Well, not right now, but technically, yea, I do have a Chinese passport

The language barrier is still the main obstacle. I am in contact with a lot of teenagers and people in their twenties in Asia, and their English, to put it nicely, is simply subpar. I do know that there were a few Malaysian NoSsers in the past few rounds, so, they'er out there.
Unread 12 Sep 2003, 23:56   #5
Mav
Band of Brothers

Mav is an unknown quantity at this point
Maybe some form of language option in preferences, would help, idd it could bring a lot more players into PA, and we could see the Asian version of TFD, would be great for the game.

Mav

NoS Officer, OMG / Adelante Officer, Eclipse Officer, FAnG HC, Mistu, [1up].
Mav is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Sep 2003, 00:52   #6
Scoot951
Das Scoot

Scoot951 is an unknown quantity at this point
It'd definitly be a language issue. While I haven't played against any myself I've heard how big they can be in StarCraft-type games, but a.) those games are most graphical and b.) the version they're using is probably in Korean anyways.

PA on the other hand, is all in English, which would require a fluent translator for all pages in and out of the game, but also means that interaction between them and established alliances would be near zero. They would have to move an entire alliance of their own into the game at once, but it would still be an alliance of noobs.

I don't really know what I'm doing here
Scoot951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Sep 2003, 02:41   #7
Buly The Great

Buly The Great is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Scoot951
It'd definitly be a language issue. While I haven't played against any myself I've heard how big they can be in StarCraft-type games, but a.) those games are most graphical and b.) the version they're using is probably in Korean anyways.

PA on the other hand, is all in English, which would require a fluent translator for all pages in and out of the game, but also means that interaction between them and established alliances would be near zero. They would have to move an entire alliance of their own into the game at once, but it would still be an alliance of noobs.
arrrrr....Asians vs. the world of English in PA!!!!

would r0x0r
Unread 13 Sep 2003, 09:41   #8
Jonas
Most unimportant guy...

Jonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond repute
They would own us

and im sure there are quite a few out of the 3 000 000 000 people doen there that actually speak quite good english

-Jonas-

Retired
Jonas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Sep 2003, 09:44   #9
Waku
a simple pe0n

Waku has a little shameless behaviour in the past
I think PA is to slow for those fast Japanees

#newdawn

Don't Trust Anyone

Proud to have served with the guys of 2:10 in PaX

We are the Elysium Support Center
Waku is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Sep 2003, 09:18   #10
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Our techie, Outcast, is Indian. He speaks better English than a lot of the players in PA I've seen

(from Eclipse, if people are wondering who he is a techie for)
Unread 15 Sep 2003, 13:43   #11
Tesla
Custom User Title

Tesla is a name known to allTesla is a name known to allTesla is a name known to allTesla is a name known to allTesla is a name known to allTesla is a name known to all
Shazna

my GC last round and one of pa's best plrs the last few rounds is from Singapore.. Dunno how she got into the world of pa though..
Tesla is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Sep 2003, 13:58   #12
DarkAngel
Nothing Is Forever.

DarkAngel is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Tomkat
Our techie, Outcast, is Indian. He speaks better English than a lot of the players in PA I've seen

(from Eclipse, if people are wondering who he is a techie for)
heh, i always thought he was english ..
Unread 15 Sep 2003, 14:28   #13
Hurragutten

Hurragutten is an unknown quantity at this point
The biggest problem of getting new players into this game are the alliances. After all: When you are a newbie, you will not get into any of the bigger alliances.

You will then be left with functioning as a roidfarm for the semi-good players, wich in it self isn't any good.

I fear that now that alliancs even have shorter traveltime, it will be even harder to play without having a solid alliance behind you. And hence: fewer newbies.
Unread 15 Sep 2003, 20:28   #14
derry

derry will become famous soon enoughderry will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally posted by Hurragutten
The biggest problem of getting new players into this game are the alliances. After all: When you are a newbie, you will not get into any of the bigger alliances.

You will then be left with functioning as a roidfarm for the semi-good players, wich in it self isn't any good.

I fear that now that alliancs even have shorter traveltime, it will be even harder to play without having a solid alliance behind you. And hence: fewer newbies.

alliance is not the first problem...

first problem is even get em 2 pay $15 dollars

and if they do, there are a lot of "smaller" alliances (ipc like alliances (no offence 2 IPC and other alliance wich might feel offended)) who want 2 take those new players in, even if they aren't that good
derry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Sep 2003, 12:55   #15
RealJames
Retired at the top

RealJames is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Originally posted by DarkAngel
I did before he told me.

*strokes Outcast*

"That's what the internet's for - slandering others anonymously." - Banky Edwards, J&SBSB
RealJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Sep 2003, 13:25   #16
SystemShock

SystemShock is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Re: A way to make new players...

Quote:
Originally posted by Auro

The language barrier is still the main obstacle. I am in contact with a lot of teenagers and people in their twenties in Asia, and their English, to put it nicely, is simply subpar. I do know that there were a few Malaysian NoSsers in the past few rounds, so, they'er out there.
YOU think that language is the main obstacle. 90% of all Indians on the internet have decent English. It's almost impossible to do anything on the internet if you don't know enlgish because unlike many western languages, there aren't many sites in Hindi or any of the regional languages. Not the useful ones atleast.

The reason many people don't play the game is because we were never brought up with computers. I first got a computer when I was in 11th standard. And it was a luxury. I still have friends who have a computer without inet access and use it mainly to watch movies. (eeeeek!) It's the way it is. Another reason is the high cost of inet access. Dialup is way too costly and the download speeds are appaling. I am currently on a cable connection and I don't get download speeds of more than 2kbps. The only reason I even call it a cable connection is cause I don't have to use my phone and because I pay a flat rate.

The second reason is the $10 that the game charges, that in my currency translates to Rs.500, an impossible amount to pay for a student. And none of us have credit cards. Transferring money is another problem.

I still remember the first round that the game went p2p. I emailed Spinner saying that I couldn't afford to pay and if he would give me a free account. I didn't get a reply but it was worth a shot.
SystemShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Sep 2003, 13:27   #17
SystemShock

Quote:
Originally posted by DarkAngel
Despite me telling you about 27 times that I was Indian. :P
Unread 16 Sep 2003, 13:38   #18
SystemShock

Quote:

I was a newbie when I joined. Got into Fury without any help, then Eclipse. And all that on dialup.
Unread 16 Sep 2003, 14:57   #19
Hurragutten

Hurragutten is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by SystemShock
I was a newbie when I joined. Got into Fury without any help, then Eclipse. And all that on dialup.
Might be, but if a newbie goes to #eclipse today I am quite sure he will only be made fun of.

I might be wrong, but if I am I will only be positively surprised
Unread 16 Sep 2003, 15:20   #20
DJet
Wearer of The Hat

DJet is a jewel in the roughDJet is a jewel in the roughDJet is a jewel in the rough
I think even members from established small-medium alliances would get laughed at if they asked to join Ecl...
Unread 16 Sep 2003, 15:30   #21
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Might be, but if a newbie goes to #eclipse today I am quite sure he will only be made fun of.

I might be wrong, but if I am I will only be positively surprised

I speak for most of Eclipse officers and command (I think) when I say a newbie wouldn't be made fun of. I've never used the insult "n00b" in a serious sense.

Of course, it'd be hard for one to get into Eclipse (you need 3 vouches, and who is going to vouch a newbie....? unfortunately), but we aren't the big scary alliance that everyone makes out.

We DO run things in a cleancut, systematic way when needed. But if someone is unsure of which research to do next, or what ship does what, or why something has happened, then they just have to ask and people will answer.
Unread 16 Sep 2003, 15:30   #22
SystemShock

You guys are assuming things. I also got laughed at when I went into #vts (I think) and #fury and asked if I could join. So what?
You don't go into a channel and ask if you can join(I doubt if any alliance would accept you that way).
Almost all our recruitment is done through friends. So you catch a guy who you know and ask him if he would vouch for you and apply to eclipse then.

P.S. I just realised my post made it look like a n00b will be laughed at in #eclipse. I didn't mean to give that impression. Like TomKat said no n00b will be made fun of in #eclipse.

Last edited by SystemShock; 16 Sep 2003 at 15:52.
Unread 16 Sep 2003, 16:38   #23
Hicks
Raaaaaaaah!

Hicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
I remember there were a large number of players from Thailand in C25 in Round 5, they were a bunch of multis who managed to take down a T&P galaxy after weeks and weeks of trying, once we worked out where they were from and that they could only play during office hours we bashed them into the dust, happy days.
Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Sep 2003, 21:14   #24
InTGuRu
I love Kwon Boa

InTGuRu is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Scoot951
there is no starcraft korean version

[19:36:04] <Vaporizer> he is re-assuring isn't he...you can always think 'at least you're not intguru'

[15:02:56] <Newt|revising> ive got u in my siggy InTGuRu!!!!!!!
[15:03:00] <Newt|revising> u shud return the favour
InTGuRu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Sep 2003, 21:36   #25
Scoot951
Das Scoot

Scoot951 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by InTGuRu

Really? See, that's what I get for talking about games I've never played.

But even if it's not a language issue, they seem comfortable enough with computers so the bit about Indians doesn't seem to apply either.

I don't really know what I'm doing here
Scoot951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Sep 2003, 22:54   #26
DJet
Wearer of The Hat

DJet is a jewel in the roughDJet is a jewel in the roughDJet is a jewel in the rough
Quote:

You don't go into a channel and ask if you can join(I doubt if any alliance would accept you that way).

We do
Unread 18 Sep 2003, 19:02   #27
SystemShock

Quote:
Originally posted by InTGuRu
Shattered Galaxy?

<Kjeldoran> and I'm a prick
^^ Always thought it was true. :/

Outcast,
Eclipse.
Unread 18 Sep 2003, 20:12   #28
-=Zyth=-
Paranoid Android

-=Zyth=- has a spectacular aura about-=Zyth=- has a spectacular aura about-=Zyth=- has a spectacular aura about
Perhaps its a matter of franchising the sign-ups, if PA said to gaming companies over in there that they would charge say $10 per account signed up, and the agents could charge $17, you would have lots and lots of people interested, including the larger gaming hubs.

ofc the language thing could only really be breached by having a gui...

[SiN]
Safety in Numbers

NEVER AGAIN! Retired
-=Zyth=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Sep 2003, 08:32   #29
SystemShock

Quote:
Originally posted by -=Zyth=-
Perhaps its a matter of franchising the sign-ups, if PA said to gaming companies over in there that they would charge say $10 per account signed up, and the agents could charge $17, you would have lots and lots of people interested, including the larger gaming hubs.

ofc the language thing could only really be breached by having a gui...
I can't pay $10, how am I going to pay $17?

Aren't you smart.

<Kjeldoran> and I'm a prick
^^ Always thought it was true. :/

Outcast,
Eclipse.
Unread 19 Sep 2003, 13:29   #30
-=Zyth=-
Paranoid Android

-=Zyth=- has a spectacular aura about-=Zyth=- has a spectacular aura about-=Zyth=- has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
I can't pay $10, how am I going to pay $17?

Aren't you smart.
And you are a concieted ass, I didnt even read your post, much less coment about it.

[SiN]
Safety in Numbers

NEVER AGAIN! Retired
-=Zyth=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Sep 2003, 13:59   #31
gzambo
Fightin-irish for life

gzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally posted by Hicks
I remember there were a large number of players from Thailand in C25 in Round 5, they were a bunch of multis who managed to take down a T&P galaxy after weeks and weeks of trying, once we worked out where they were from and that they could only play during office hours we bashed them into the dust, happy days.
reminds me of a malaysian guy that was in my rd 4 gal in p15 he was running bout 25-30 planets all with some sort of link to liverpool, when we figured out he was a multi and his online times we wiped him out dropped his score from 25 million down to bout 300k while he was offline then went and killed his other planets (in-gal attacking was nice to have for such an occasion)

"In the absence of orders, find something and kill it."
-Rommel
gzambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Sep 2003, 06:04   #32
Shazna

Shazna is an unknown quantity at this point
mostly payment problems, people over here dun want to pay to play , i know quite a few asian people, vietnam, thailand, malaysia, singapore during r1-r4, they quit when ptp started or 1 round after that. i met some malaysians last round as well, when it was free
English isn't the problem.
Shazna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Sep 2003, 06:11   #33
furssie
Spastic Drivel!

furssie can only hope to improve
There are PA players in southeast asia that are playing since r3 up to now.