User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 14 Aug 2006, 13:42   #1
KoeN
Lucky
Helicopter Champion

KoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant future
[football] pig, explain me this

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...la/5207620.stm

if Glazer payed about 800 million for Man u, and Abramovich payed +-130 million for Chelsea (in times of depression, even), then why is Villa only worth this little?
i thought they have quite a big history, nice stadium, huge fanbase etc? i don't see how Chelsea could have been more expensive.

why?
KoeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Aug 2006, 14:05   #2
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: [football] pig, explain me this

Chelsea cost £60m or so, and most of that was the paying off of debt if memory serves. The reason Manchester United was so expensive was that it was a PLC.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Aug 2006, 14:12   #3
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Mage
I'm sure I remember reading somewhere that if Chelsea hadn't qualified for the Champions League in 2003 then Abramovich wouldn't have bought them although I don't know how accurate that is.
It's what was said at the time. Thomas Myhre is therefore solely responsible for getting Abramovich into English football, by costing Liverpool the points in our matches against them.
Unread 14 Aug 2006, 15:18   #4
Achilles
Poblacht na hÉireann

Achilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Also, last I checked, property in London is a tad more expensive than in Birmingham. Buying a PLC costs more because it's worth more, there being a difference between a big company (Man Utd) and small football team (Villa).

I know you wanted Pig to have to come on here and admit Villa are useless and therefore worthless, but that's only half true.
Achilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Aug 2006, 15:22   #5
All Systems Go

All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Chelsea was a PLC.
The 20th century has been characterised by three developments of great political importance. The growth of democracy; the growth of corporate power; and the growth of corporate propaganda as a means of protecting corporate power against democracy.
All Systems Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Aug 2006, 15:28   #6
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally Posted by All Systems Go
Chelsea was a PLC.
Chelsea Village was (and is, as far as I know) a PLC. Chelsea FC itself wasn't and isn't.
Unread 14 Aug 2006, 17:48   #7
ReligFree

ReligFree is a name known to allReligFree is a name known to allReligFree is a name known to allReligFree is a name known to allReligFree is a name known to allReligFree is a name known to all

Also Glazer needed a bigger stake in Man Utd from what i remember. Not sure of the mechanics of why that would be if anyone could enlighten?
Unread 14 Aug 2006, 18:18   #8
gzambo
Fightin-irish for life

gzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant future

i think because Man utd was a plc the stock market rules say you have to buy tsomething like 80% and then you can buy out the rest of the shares whether the share owner wants to sell them or not (something like that i think)

"In the absence of orders, find something and kill it."
-Rommel
gzambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Aug 2006, 18:42   #9
pig
1up on you

pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Well Man utd is pretty much self explanatory.

Its a brand. The name alone is worth millions. The stadium, the fans, the trophies is all fantastic. Hence why its an expensive club to buy.

Chelsea isn't as clean cut. Sure they were "a top 4 club" but before abromovic took them they were never considered in the crust of the top 6 imo. The reason why Chelsea and London clubs as a whole are so desriable is that if you turn round to Shevchenko you can sell him London, but will have a hard time selling Birmingham. **** knows how Manchester is more glamorous than brum but it is apparently. Anyway London is just one of those cities along with paris, barcelona, milan and new york where its cool to live.

Champions League football also had something to do with it I guess.

What randy is buying is a bargain. One of the best youth academys in the country, a cracking ground circa 45,000 a ****ing loyal fanbase (we played shit last year 34,000 avg **** you chelsea you dont even sell out every game) a few decent players, bag loads of history, shit loads of land across birmingham and some worth a fair bit and perhaps most importantly and rarely in football clubs a debt free football club. Not many clubs are in villas position. If you pay say 500 million for arsenal. 400 million would be paying off debt etc. Villa is a bargain and we will win the european cup in 3 seasons time.
Unread 14 Aug 2006, 18:55   #10
KoeN
Lucky
Helicopter Champion

KoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig
What randy is buying is a bargain. One of the best youth academys in the country, a cracking ground circa 45,000 a ****ing loyal fanbase (we played shit last year 34,000 avg **** you chelsea you dont even sell out every game) a few decent players, bag loads of history, shit loads of land across birmingham and some worth a fair bit and perhaps most importantly and rarely in football clubs a debt free football club. Not many clubs are in villas position. If you pay say 500 million for arsenal. 400 million would be paying off debt etc. Villa is a bargain and we will win the european cup in 3 seasons time.
exactly my point.

anyway, i feel for you pig, hope it all turns out well etc.
Unread 14 Aug 2006, 18:59   #11
Cannon_Fodder

Cannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig
**** you chelsea you dont even sell out every game)
Yeah the Charity Shield was like 20k people from full because Chelsea didnt sell all their tickets

Quote:
Villa is a bargain and we will win the european cup in 3 seasons time.
Laughing.
Unread 14 Aug 2006, 19:36   #12
pig
1up on you

pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon_Fodder
Yeah the Charity Shield was like 20k people from full because Chelsea didnt sell all their tickets

Laughing.
At least we win the european cup
Unread 14 Aug 2006, 19:56   #13
Ragnarak

Ragnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig
Do they still run the Anglo-Italian cup?
Are the best i've ever had
Ragnarak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Aug 2006, 21:38   #14
Cannon_Fodder

Cannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig
Sunderland won the top division in the 1891/1892 season.

I'm sure it's of great comfort to them.

Also: [20:29:13] <Deffeh> its taken you 4 or 5 years to admit villa are "an average side", to say its difficult to reason with you lot is an understatement

I feel its a valid point.
Unread 15 Aug 2006, 00:50   #15
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon_Fodder
Sunderland won the top division in the 1891/1892 season.
On our joining the football league, we were known as "the team of all talents", as we had a talented man, so they say, in every position. We were pretty rock solid big club, in terms of support and success, until the middle of the 50's when we got relegated for what probably amounted to tax evasion.

It was all downhill from there.
Unread 15 Aug 2006, 02:00   #16
Dace
so f*cking zen

Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

The name Randy makes me laugh every time i see it :)
Unread 15 Aug 2006, 10:05   #17
Oxbone

I hate that name.... soooo base
Unread 15 Aug 2006, 10:57   #18
Smudge
For Crowly <3

Smudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond repute

Buying Villa for that much is a bargin.

Villa + reported £50m transfer kitty = challanging for UEFA Cup spots / 4th Champions League place.

The question is, will they be able to attract players?
[14:53:26] * Keiz`afk has joined #support
[14:53:36] <Keiz`afk> THE SMUDGE CHEERLEADING TEAM HAS ARRIVED
Smudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Aug 2006, 12:43   #19
pig
1up on you

Shouldn't be a great problem, we just need the name to be known. Thats the deciding factor for players. Once Aston Villa as a name and a brand is known then players will be willing to sign for us.
Unread 15 Aug 2006, 12:49   #20
midge5
mmm lambs

midge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smudge
Buying Villa for that much is a bargin.

Villa + reported £50m transfer kitty = challanging for UEFA Cup spots / 4th Champions League place.

The question is, will they be able to attract players?
I think it will take a few years before Villa will be consistently challenging for the CL. Even with O'Neill the squad will have to be improved significantly before that can happen and that is unlikely to even start until next summer.
Unread 15 Aug 2006, 12:54   #21
pig
1up on you

I would want to start winning say the FA Cup/League Cup whilst moving up the league. Within five years challenging for the top and champions league.
Unread 15 Aug 2006, 12:55   #22
KoeN
Lucky
Helicopter Champion

i think Villa is a sleeping giant. good buy imo.
Unread 15 Aug 2006, 13:00   #23
Reidy
I AM THE ONE & ONLY

Reidy is a name known to allReidy is a name known to allReidy is a name known to allReidy is a name known to allReidy is a name known to allReidy is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrL_JaKiri
On our joining the football league, we were known as "the team of all talents", as we had a talented man, so they say, in every position. We were pretty rock solid big club, in terms of support and success, until the middle of the 50's when we got relegated for what probably amounted to tax evasion.

It was all downhill from there.
and the slide goes on...

Our next game is Southend away at roots hall with there 12,000 capacity.

The thing that boils my piss most though is the fact i feel i have to go down because i dont want to miss our first win - miserable.

I hope Villa pick themselves up, proper club...

Blind Faith - FTM
Reidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Aug 2006, 13:01   #24
pig
1up on you

We are a sleeping giant, I also believe that we have the history, infrastructure and fans to become a giant that we once were.

Incidentally the top 6 by trophies represent for me at least how I see the top 6 in fans, potential and history etc.

Liverpool
Man Utd
Arsenal
Aston Villa
Tottenham
Everton

Up the Villa!
Unread 15 Aug 2006, 13:25   #25
wakey
Hamster

wakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Mage
I'm sure I remember reading somewhere that if Chelsea hadn't qualified for the Champions League in 2003 then Abramovich wouldn't have bought them although I don't know how accurate that is.
I believe it may have been in Frank Lampards Autobiography that the players were told before the game that if they failed to win the game the club would fall into liquidation as it was just the potential windfall from the Champions League that was keeping the banks from closing them down
The Farnborough Crew
Cos anything else is just an alliance
Join our public channel at #f-crew
wakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Aug 2006, 21:04   #26
Ste
Bored

Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig
just the once?

yeh so Plastic Brilliance is now known as FOXYSTOAT - Come on by and check it out!
Ste is offline   Reply With Quote