User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 14 Aug 2006, 17:10   #1
jerome

jerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so little
Res/Con/Race Changes

one universal race.

research strands: military / economy-technology thing / scans << YOU CAN DO ONE FROM EACH STRAND SIMULTAENOUSLY!

military
-> light (armour/cloak/sub&emp/steal) or etas
-> medium (* is out and remaining 3 'styles' are open for research) eta-2
-> heavy (* and ** is out and remaining 2 'styles' are open for research)
-> eta 4

economy
-> hct/infrastructure/mining thing(first one is ability to build refineries)/cov ops/ability to build finance centres/ability to build security centres
-> more/more/more/increase output/increase output

scans

1/ the ratio of accuracy improves with the higher the rank of the planet that is scanning. DIE SCAN PLANETS DIE!
2/ first tech = ability to build wave amps, 2nd = ability to build dists
3/ rest as now or something

more info on earlier military styles:
"armour->flak ships ie terran of course
kamikaze/cloak->xan type ships, low init, high damage, shit armour
sub-emp->mix of emp and subversion of old ships
steal->steal ships that die after stealing 150% of their res
eta-> as per usual"

constructions:
you can only build factories after you've researched for them same with amps/dists/fc/sc - so your first con has to be res lab basically)

this is an unfinished idea. i need to remember more with regards to constructions and possibly think up more stuff for the rest too.

but anyway, discuss!

not that any of this has any chance to be implemented due to a lack of coders right?

* - first chosen style
** - second chosen style

edit:
why?
i believe all of this will make pa more interesting, various military strands should lead to a game where noone is "build x ship every day and hit race y" day in day out as that's ****ing terrible guys, no word of a lie neither.
jerome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Aug 2006, 17:15   #2
gzambo
Fightin-irish for life

gzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant future
Re: Res/Con/Race Changes

good idea , putting some thought back in the game can only be good
it is meant to be a strategy game afterall

"In the absence of orders, find something and kill it."
-Rommel
gzambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Aug 2006, 17:32   #3
-=Zyth=-
Paranoid Android

-=Zyth=- has a spectacular aura about-=Zyth=- has a spectacular aura about-=Zyth=- has a spectacular aura about

I would love to see the whole tech tree redone, its far far to linear at the moment, it curently requires no brainpower, just an alarm that will wake you at the right time.

And if it isnt too much work - a tech tree multiple paths that last untill the last tick, with some kind of nuclear end game tech right at the end if you haven't missed a tick, like a death star that has the ability to blow up entire planets, but would onlybe available on the last day of the round if all techs are done right.

[SiN]
Safety in Numbers

NEVER AGAIN! Retired
-=Zyth=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Aug 2006, 18:05   #4
Veedeejem!
Hibernating

Veedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=Zyth=-
And if it isnt too much work - a tech tree multiple paths that last untill the last tick, with some kind of nuclear end game tech right at the end if you haven't missed a tick, like a death star that has the ability to blow up entire planets, but would onlybe available on the last day of the round if all techs are done right.
Again with the deathstars...

On topic: good idea

[ToF] - [eXilition] - [Rock] - [Denial] - [DLR] - [eVolution] - [ODDR] - [HR] - [Ultores] - [Apprime] - [Ironborn]
Veedeejem! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Aug 2006, 02:56   #5
Makhil

Makhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to behold

I'd sign up for a round with such a tech tree right away.
Unread 15 Aug 2006, 10:52   #6
The Real Arfy

The Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerome
military
-> light (armour/cloak/sub&emp/steal) or etas
-> medium (* is out and remaining 3 'styles' are open for research) eta-2
-> heavy (* and ** is out and remaining 2 'styles' are open for research)
-> eta 4
This I don't quite get. You have a choice of ETA 4 OR CR/BS? (lets just assume its CR/BS as we know it now, since we could go in a whole different direction)

If I'm understanding right - You could end up with ETA 14 BS or ETA 7 FI?

Quote:
economy
-> hct/infrastructure/mining thing(first one is ability to build refineries)/cov ops/ability to build finance centres/ability to build security centres
-> more/more/more/increase output/increase output
Sounds like its basically the same as at the moment. But thats fine.

Quote:
scans

1/ the ratio of accuracy improves with the higher the rank of the planet that is scanning. DIE SCAN PLANETS DIE!
2/ first tech = ability to build wave amps, 2nd = ability to build dists
3/ rest as now or something
I can't get my head around how this will work. Lower ranked players will have trouble scanning, could miscalc (due to shit scans) and crash and die. Their rank lowers. Its a vicious cycle.

Likewise, the #1 planets are 90% of the time selfish. Why would they spend their resources on scans for a whole alliance. Surely people spending on scans instead of ships will NOT be at the top unless everyone is playing the game this way. I like the idea that you're creating though, in the way that people have to get a balance between scans and military to succeed at the game - and I would love for scanning to require/result in *something* other than a low score.

Also, I like the "ratio of accuracy". This is something I've always wanted to see in the game.

Conditions for scanning should follow:
  • No scan shown if accuracy below say 70%
  • Accuracy will never reach closer than 90%
  • "Base" accuracy would be at a value such as 80% and can be raised/lowered by: Random factor, # of amps, # of distorters, # of scans sent (see below)
  • Planet can send multiple scan requests which basically "overload" the distorters and increase accuracy

Quote:
more info on earlier military styles:
"armour->flak ships ie terran of course
kamikaze/cloak->xan type ships, low init, high damage, shit armour
sub-emp->mix of emp and subversion of old ships
steal->steal ships that die after stealing 150% of their res
eta-> as per usual"
Yes. I assume you have to choose between 4 ships/shiptypes that you can build at each "stage" (FI/CO/FR/DE/CR/BS). If so, its always been a popular option.

Quote:
constructions:
you can only build factories after you've researched for them same with amps/dists/fc/sc - so your first con has to be res lab basically)
I don't know why, but I don't like this. Maybe it seems too linear.

Quote:
not that any of this has any chance to be implemented due to a lack of coders right?
I didn't see this at first and I was going to say the same thing. This thread, like the whole suggestions forum is a waste of time/space. Sorry bro'

[16:10:34] <[lfc]stif|afk> "dont be the worst in your alliance, join CT. We have Arfy!"
The Real Arfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Aug 2006, 10:59   #7
The Real Arfy

The Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond repute

P.S. I got no idea how this would work but the research "tree" (vine, heh) should be more like this.

[16:10:34] <[lfc]stif|afk> "dont be the worst in your alliance, join CT. We have Arfy!"
Unread 15 Aug 2006, 11:21   #8
The Real Arfy

New idea! I realise this is a bit sim-city-slash-civilization-esque but its worth a discussion, right?
  • Constructions should be like those RPGs with inventory boxes - requires a bit of forward planning.
  • You can demolish and build constructions (all at once).
  • You can designate a certain number of people for civil service/mining/construction speed/research speed etc. e.g. 30% of your people are designated to research. This gives you a 30% research bonus - if you have enough research labs to accomodate said people. See below for the new engineering scheme.

Engineering: Too basic atm I feel and while PA isn't realistic at all, why shouldn't it go in that direction?

So! How about we have these multiple branches of "people" and they can generate taxes/increase productivity. You know what I'm talking about.

Instead of having a 48-hour period of "you can't change engineering" I propose we have percentages of where you want your man-power. If you want to change it, you change it. This percentage will change every tick by a certain value determined by: Morale/Corruption/Resources until it reaches the new percentage

OK, so I branched off alot from jer's ideas and I've basically suggested some "petty" micromanagement, but its a start I guess.

Unread 15 Aug 2006, 11:27   #9
The Real Arfy

lol, last update I swear:

How about instead of initiating them, refineries produce roids - one every tick? one every two ticks?

Would this stop stagnation?

Unread 15 Aug 2006, 14:21   #10
jerome

jerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so little

you misunderstood the military techs by the way, the "->" meant levels, ie level 1 / level 2 / level 3 / level 4, only things that'd be blocked out would be the race 'styles'
jerome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Aug 2006, 23:27   #11
Silver^Ace

Silver^Ace is an unknown quantity at this point

The thing I would love to see back is Planet Defense. Old school style Turets, 3 levels, 1st shoots FI/Co, 2nd FR/DE, 3rd CR/BS. Turets fire first, even before eps. I forgot what ships were in place to balance Turets out but many things can be options, price, covert'ers, powerful ships. And most important the fact that you can't flee turets, if have to run may all get wiped out. There would be a balance with people who stock up them or completely avoid them.

Just another thing that could be fun is if Turets can be researched differently. Like if you want to master emp Turets or kill Turent depending on what you want. And you choose at beginning of research and can't take back.

As for ideas I have read, I love the demolishing constructions and idea about people being engineers who have a lot more options. My main thought is when I left PA after round 5 and came back round 13 there were many many many changes which I loved to figure out and master. From 13 till now I havn't seen a new idea around and am disapointed.

My favorite thigs recently have been the CTF matches and World Cup, because I had to develope new strats and change as I saw universe developing. Go admins for these ideas they worked great.
Silver^Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Aug 2006, 14:58   #12
Mighteh
Your typical Troll

Mighteh is infamous around these partsMighteh is infamous around these partsMighteh is infamous around these partsMighteh is infamous around these partsMighteh is infamous around these parts

nooo... dont turn it into another "we must have PDS to survive" thread.

And as to new tech tree... i am against removing races, however, changin tech tree for each one of them might make it more diverse and raise playability of every race, depending on the plan.

Not like science/war has not been done b4. And it was good, for some time. I like haveing races and was thinking about posting on a possibility of making more, they dont need to be much different from eachotehr either, slightest changes in targetting and other stats turn the race around strategically.

But changes in tech tree can do it. (given that every round there are always roiding fleets of all types anyhow) Imagine being able for every race to choose their roiding fleet (and that second class of ships, to add to it.

So Xan would be able to have FI or CO roiding fleets (more power to Xans that we all discussed), Cath would be able to go CO or FR, with, say, viper, switching to FR class ship. (all these use current stats for types, but that is all flexible). That would unbalance attack/defence a bit, making attacks even easier, i reckon, so def ships have to be balanced out (maybe indeed bring out secondary targetting systems with lower (41+) shooting speeds)
And an illustrated book about birds
See alot up there
But dont be scared
who needs action, when you got words....
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbg
reading this line is explicit acceptance of my superiority over you
Mighteh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Aug 2006, 00:05   #13
Lei~
~Gon

Lei~ is on a distinguished road

I like the general idea of the techtree as jerome suggested it, but as he alrdy posted its not very likely to be implented.
On the other hand i love mightehs suggestion of secondary targs with different initiatives.