User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions

Unread 9 Oct 2006, 16:07   #1
TheGoaT
Old Timer

TheGoaT is a splendid one to beholdTheGoaT is a splendid one to beholdTheGoaT is a splendid one to beholdTheGoaT is a splendid one to beholdTheGoaT is a splendid one to beholdTheGoaT is a splendid one to behold
The need to bring in new players to PA

It is no secret to those of us who played in the early rounds of pa that having 50,000 players was 1000 times more fun than 3,000. It still boggles my mind that after all this time from the last free pa to now, that major efforts have not been done to increase the player base. Now after reading the recent announcement about the future of PA, you get the impression that things are being done, but is it or is this just another case of the same old promises? Afterall there was supposed to be a "new pa" back in Feburary.

PA BADLY needs to increase awareness of the game and go on a major advertising campaign to bring in new players. I understand it costs money to advertise, but your profits are not going up round after round as more players leave the game. Advertising isnt only working with netgamers, or banner ads on gaming sites, those are good dont get me wrong. But why not use your community? They are the ones who can bring the most new blood. Why not set up a referal program? Send your dedicated PA members out to recruit new players for you. You could set up incentive programs based on how many new players somebody refers to PA. When someone signs up for a pa account you could have a section that asks them if someone refered them to the game. This way you could track it. Maybe something like 20 new referals who sign up gives you a free credit. Whatever the incentive, something needs to be done.

The game is not as hard for new ppl to pick up as you think. Its rather simple game (which is another one of its problems), but the galaxy community will teach new players about things such as how to get on irc, what ships they should build, how to join alliances, how to attack. RELY ON YOUR COMMUNITY. Dont make the game easier for newbies, make the community more accessible to newbies. Give incentive to the community to teach new players.

PA needs to start reaching out to untapped gamer communities out there. Especially with new technoligies coming out everyday that make it easier to play PA mobile from anywhere at anytime. In the PA community there is a huge advantage to alliances and galaxies when they hear one of their members is American, brazilian, aussie, etc. There are HUGE numbers of gamers in these countries who have no idea of PA. Its time to stop PA being a majority european game, and take more advantage of all these players on the rest of the globe. Perhaps PA team needs an advertising department as much as it needs its new "Operations" department.
Round 19-20: Ascendancy
Round 21: Quit
Round 30: Ascendancy
Round 75-81: DLR
TheGoaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Oct 2006, 16:22   #2
Error

Error is just really niceError is just really niceError is just really niceError is just really niceError is just really nice
Re: The need to bring in new players to PA

Agree with goat completely couldnt phrase it better

Proud to have been ND
Error is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Oct 2006, 16:58   #3
Shyne
Flash in the PAN

Shyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud of

I agree entirely but is there anything left to say?

Jolt won't put any money into the game so nothing much is going to happen.

Ive often wondered if the game couldn't be free again with internet advertising revenues being better than they have been for a long time (many sites pay their bandwidth by ads) - if it was free the userbase would rocket (but great multihunting tools would be required - not an impossible task however).
Shyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Oct 2006, 17:30   #4
Hicks
Raaaaaaaah!

Hicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

I'm not sure even if it was free Planetarion would recover huge numbers. I was looking at a Planetarion clone the other day (SS) and despite being free it still only has marginally more players than Planetarion. The big problem is Planetarion has barely changed in the past 6 years, hell it's been static for the last 2, even most real games don't last that long. When Planetarion was huge it was a new and exciting concept, now it's pretty worn out and has done very little to be innovative. Then again if it was free I guess people can't would have no reason not to play for 10 minutes a day.
Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Oct 2006, 19:42   #5
The Real Arfy

The Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond repute

Somebody should set up a Facebook group.

Facebook is full of students killing time.

[16:10:34] <[lfc]stif|afk> "dont be the worst in your alliance, join CT. We have Arfy!"
The Real Arfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Oct 2006, 19:48   #6
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hicks
I'm not sure even if it was free Planetarion would recover huge numbers. I was looking at a Planetarion clone the other day (SS) and despite being free it still only has marginally more players than Planetarion. The big problem is Planetarion has barely changed in the past 6 years, hell it's been static for the last 2, even most real games don't last that long. When Planetarion was huge it was a new and exciting concept, now it's pretty worn out and has done very little to be innovative. Then again if it was free I guess people can't would have no reason not to play for 10 minutes a day.
SS isn't free - it has a similar paid accounts system to PA (though it has two levels of paid accounts)

Round 6-10 NoS member-->NoS junior HC
Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Check out toastmonster.com for crazy illustrations and art
Kal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Oct 2006, 20:10   #7
wakey
Hamster

wakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Real Arfy
Somebody should set up a Facebook group.

Facebook is full of students killing time.
What are you going to suggest next, using youtube for a viral video marketing campaign. Actually I shouldnt have said that i'm sure chef will jump at the chance to take to outdo Lonelygirl15 as he likes dressing up and he has enough teen angst for the whole of pa
The Farnborough Crew
Cos anything else is just an alliance
Join our public channel at #f-crew
wakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Oct 2006, 20:33   #8
Rakh

Rakh is an unknown quantity at this point

As an old player recently returned to PA, I have a few things I'd like to add.

1. PA needs to fix fakenicking. And by fix, I mean toss it out the window. People shouldn't have to hide who they are. Nor should they have to hide what alliance they are in. I'm sure for some, intel gathering and all the cloak and dagger stuff that accompanies it is *the* reason they still play. For a new player, it's a damn good reason *not* to. I'm playing a game to have fun, and spending more time on out of game sources gathering intel as opposed to playing the game is something most new players won't bother with. So they get owned by alliances.

2. Fix the galaxy-alliance system. Most new players will automatically view their galaxy as their closest friends, their comrades in battle. Because it makes sense. But, your galaxy isn't your closest friends. They might even be your enemies. And we're right back at point #1. The galaxy happens to be the first players a newbie will interact with. But the older players in the galaxy won't interact more than necceseary with the new player. They can't even invite him into their alliance. Because of the fear that he might be a spy. This, in my opinion, is one of the big hurdles a new player needs to overcome, and it's a hurdle that adds nothing to the game.

But Rakh you might say, how would we achive this state of nubluvin? How would we get rid of fakenicking as well as the need to hide alliances? Smaller alliances. I'm not talking going back down to 60. That changes nothing. I'm talking a drastic reduction to the size of alliances. So drastic, you could fit your alliance in a galaxy. Something along the lines of 25 size galaxies, 20 of which are "buddypack/alliance" spots. But this is such a radical change, I doubt most of the current playerbase would even consider it.

Lowering the size of alliances to 30-40 might be an easier pill to swallow, and it's a step in the right direction in my opinion.

[Edit: To clarify, because my point got lost somewhere in all that noise, it doesn't matter how many new players you attract, if your turnover rate is abyssal. Focus on keeping the few new players you're getting right now, instead of attracting more new palyers who will leave half way through their first round.]

Last edited by Rakh; 9 Oct 2006 at 20:40.
Rakh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Oct 2006, 20:52   #9
TheGoaT
Old Timer

TheGoaT is a splendid one to beholdTheGoaT is a splendid one to beholdTheGoaT is a splendid one to beholdTheGoaT is a splendid one to beholdTheGoaT is a splendid one to beholdTheGoaT is a splendid one to behold

you make a couple points I like, but those changes wont bring new players to the game if the potential players just arent aware of PA in the first place. I am pretty certain I am the only pa player in my city, and theres 1.2million living here. Advertising needs to be done.

Now to your points:

1. fakenicking is not controlled by PA, its controlled by alliances on irc. Nothing PA team really controls. Not sure if I agree with you on this point anyway because deception and such is part of the fun of being in an alliance.

2. I agree with the need for a new galaxy setup. Something that encourages new players to want to be active and enjoy playing with their gal m8s. Right now if you have an unpaid account or you are new and not sure how to use irc, the BuddyPack just exiles you right away. Something new needs to be done that makes training and teaching new players to be in the best interest of the BuddyPacks and experienced members.

3. I like the idea of really small alliance limits, at least for 1 round. Tight close knit groups of friends. Maybe change the whole scope of what a "galaxy" is. Maybe you small alliance of say 25 members is in the same "sector" and you have a seperate page on the nav menu next to galaxy that says "alliance sector". Here all your alliance members are listed together 1-25 or whatever as if it was a galaxy, with seperate coords and everything. Now those 25 alliance members can be divided into 3-4 actual "galaxies" where new unallied players are mixed in with them. Say like 5 alliance members with 5 random unallied players. Now defense eta bonuses are given not only to the alliance "sector" but to the galaxies with their new unallied players as well. So it would be in the alliances best interest to train these new ppl and get as many of them active as possible to be able to utilize their firepower and defensive power.
Unread 9 Oct 2006, 21:41   #10
Rakh

Rakh is an unknown quantity at this point

On 3, yeah, your idea seems sound. Right now, the only training most gals will give a new player is "Be active, don't suck, get an alliance". What is needed is an increase in the benefits of actually guiding new players. Make them a useful addition in some way when it comes to attack/defense. The more a new player is involved with other players, the higher the chance he will end up a part of the community.
Rakh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Oct 2006, 21:49   #11
jerome

jerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so little

i don't know of anyone that'd be interested in planetarion as a game to play, do you really think it's a game that'd attract that amount of players ever again?
jerome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Oct 2006, 21:59   #12
Shyne
Flash in the PAN

Shyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud of

This genre might have died of death, but Hicks is right. When you look at how far web technology has come in terms of both form and function planetarion is quite a long way behind.
Unread 9 Oct 2006, 22:13   #13
TheGoaT
Old Timer

PA has its advantages to attract new people. It doesnt cost $70 to buy it in the store, you dont have to pay montly fees to continue playing, you dont need special software, or a really good computer to play it. Its a simple game that can be played decretly from work, school, or anywhere really. It allows you to make friends and learn about people from many different countries.

Although this game hasnt evolved anywhere near what it should have in the past 7 years, it still has some appeal to gamers looking for a simple web based game they can pass time with during their day.

I mean hell, all of us are still here right?
Unread 9 Oct 2006, 22:53   #14
jerome

jerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so little

we're here due to being idiots
jerome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Oct 2006, 22:57   #15
Error

Error is just really niceError is just really niceError is just really niceError is just really niceError is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoaT
PA has its advantages to attract new people. It doesnt cost $70 to buy it in the store, you dont have to pay montly fees to continue playing, you dont need special software, or a really good computer to play it. Its a simple game that can be played decretly from work, school, or anywhere really. It allows you to make friends and learn about people from many different countries.

Although this game hasnt evolved anywhere near what it should have in the past 7 years, it still has some appeal to gamers looking for a simple web based game they can pass time with during their day.

I mean hell, all of us are still here right?
Pa has a lot to offer hence we have been playing it for so lonh, heck i remember goat from Newdawn Round 2 when i was called disturbed and i was HC lol.

We all play PA because we know the indepth alliance side of things, we just need new people to learn and appreciate them instead of constantly being exiled

Proud to have been ND
Unread 9 Oct 2006, 23:17   #16
Monroe
Planetarion Forum Moderator

Monroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud of

There are some interesting thoughts in this thread. I do know this much, the PA Team is aware of the issues brought up in this thread and have and will continue to spend significant time discussing these and related issues. Everyone here wants to see the player base grow, and to give newbies a positive experiance while still engaging the veteran player base in meaningful ways. How to accomplish this is a complex task and given the limited resources of the PA Team I personally think they have done a wonderful job.

This being said there is certainly lots of work that needs to be done to bring a new look at a game that hasn't seen a major breath of fresh air since r10. Don't give up on the PA Team yet guys, they do listen to the community and have their own ideas as well. We will see what comes of it, but I for one am hopeful there will be significant changes to the game in the not to distant future.

#strategy
Monroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Oct 2006, 05:48   #17
ChubbyChecker
King of The Fat Boys

ChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoaT
You could set up incentive programs based on how many new players somebody refers to PA. When someone signs up for a pa account you could have a section that asks them if someone refered them to the game. This way you could track it. Maybe something like 20 new referals who sign up gives you a free credit. Whatever the incentive, something needs to be done.
This has been discussed before. One argument against it was that you could refer people who were going to play anyway (people who play round after round) thereby getting free credits for nothing. One way around this is to only count referals for people who signed up at tick 100 (or 200, or whatever...) but then that dilutes the benefits you get from having a referal system in the first place.

Something that I think could really benefit new players is to make cluster alliances relevant again. Back in the early days (round 3 or 4) cluster alliances were a force to be reckoned with and it really gave people who weren't in top alliances a fighting chance. It also benefits those who land in a galaxy that isn't so great. One way that this could be done is to reduce the in-cluster defence eta, to -2. Either that or have a fourth fleet that can only be used for in-cluster defence.

To counterbalance this alliances could be made less relevant. Over the last few rounds we were going in the right direction, the alliance size limit was being reduced. Now they go and ruin all this hard work by increasing it again. Naughty PA Team!

The fact that alliances are so important in this game seriously reduces the accessibility of it. Make alliances less important (and cluster alliances more important) and I think we'll see more new players staying for longer.
Unread 10 Oct 2006, 13:03   #18
Kargool
Up The Hatters!

Kargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet society

I can only speak in agreement with the posters here in this thread.. But there is another idea that Jolt/PA should consider... You should translate PA to spanish/german/korean or any languages you find reasonable reasons to translate too, then advertise towards countries that have thoose languages.
PA will probably get abit new players from that.
Unread 10 Oct 2006, 13:18   #19
bwtmc
thinking, that's all.

bwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond repute

I think that'd be pretty cheap to implement given the great variety of people we've got here.
Unread 10 Oct 2006, 13:27   #20
Error

PA team nneds to realise they have a lot of dedicated players. These players would help do anything to increase the playerbase, id help.

They need to utalise their biggest asset us!!

Proud to have been ND
Unread 10 Oct 2006, 14:02   #21
Shyne
Flash in the PAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kargool
I can only speak in agreement with the posters here in this thread.. But there is another idea that Jolt/PA should consider... You should translate PA to spanish/german/korean or any languages you find reasonable reasons to translate too, then advertise towards countries that have thoose languages.
PA will probably get abit new players from that.
You'd think so, but there is some strange reason that Jolt have blocked translation - probably a legal thing.

They refused to let pateam have the manual internationalised in the past.
Unread 10 Oct 2006, 17:41   #22
Kargool
Up The Hatters!

Kargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shyne
You'd think so, but there is some strange reason that Jolt have blocked translation - probably a legal thing.

They refused to let pateam have the manual internationalised in the past.
A legal thing to have PA translated? Oh dear.
Unread 10 Oct 2006, 17:48   #23
Barrow|Pony
snadwich fetcher

Barrow|Pony has a reputation beyond reputeBarrow|Pony has a reputation beyond reputeBarrow|Pony has a reputation beyond reputeBarrow|Pony has a reputation beyond reputeBarrow|Pony has a reputation beyond reputeBarrow|Pony has a reputation beyond reputeBarrow|Pony has a reputation beyond reputeBarrow|Pony has a reputation beyond reputeBarrow|Pony has a reputation beyond reputeBarrow|Pony has a reputation beyond reputeBarrow|Pony has a reputation beyond repute

UNNECESSARY

edited n'shit
Unread 10 Oct 2006, 18:47   #24
Shyne
Flash in the PAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kargool
A legal thing to have PA translated? Oh dear.
It is in a previous thread somewhere, I'll try to find it.

It is here: http://pirate.planetarion.com/showthread.php?t=187918

There were some odd points about how it'd damage the game.
Unread 10 Oct 2006, 19:03   #25
Kargool
Up The Hatters!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shyne
It is in a previous thread somewhere, I'll try to find it.

It is here: http://pirate.planetarion.com/showthread.php?t=187918

There were some odd points about how it'd damage the game.
Its a hopeless stance. By excluding the ones who cant speak english you are also probably excluding a large quota of the people who could be possible new customers. Planetarion was popular because it had a certain new feel to people, but not most of thoose people has gone on to other things, some of the countries we're talking about here does not have internetlines that can provide them with world of warcraft etc therefor they play other games, f.example browsergames. I dont think it damages the community. I remember talking to a venezuelan player back in round 2 who learned english by playing PA, but most of his starting help he recived from another spanish talking person. (i think that was the language they spoke) Maybe Planetarion should try to tap into thoose sources of players instead of thinking how to revamp a game that is clearly not possible to compete with the graphic games like WoW and GuildWars and E.V.E
Unread 10 Oct 2006, 19:12   #26
Shyne
Flash in the PAN

Personally I think this kind of development comes well with the redevelopment of the game.

If the game was templated and recoded things like internationalisation are quite easy to add - whereas it would take much longer to add that kind of functionality to the existing code.
Unread 11 Oct 2006, 03:41   #27
Jonas
Most unimportant guy...

Jonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond repute

Altho the most fun rounds I played was the earlier ones, I dont want 50k-180k planets back. I think thoose rounds were fun because it was a new game and we were all learning. However with all thoose people, there came alot of cheaters and such. The competition wasnt the same either, u cud just hit random targets all round and easily do good.

In my opinion, Ideally PA would have 5-10k players. It Would make the community bigger than it is now, so that people/gals could actually make a few nights without incs. It would also allow the rounds to actually be decided within a reasonable amount of time, aswell as the community would be small enough for people to know eachother and for alliances to actually fight eachother for the win instead of having a "farm the universe" contest.

Its just my opinion tho Its much more competitive with a "smaller universe"

I agree tho that it shud be more than there is now, and using a referrer system with some rewards would definatley be helpful.

-J-

Retired
Jonas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Oct 2006, 06:50   #28
demiGOD
the Sacred Pervert

demiGOD is just really nicedemiGOD is just really nicedemiGOD is just really nicedemiGOD is just really nicedemiGOD is just really nice

All this is impossible. Jolt is a company run by only 3 people.

Or it seems like it anyway.

Veneratio | Insomnia | F-Crew | Subh
demiGOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Oct 2006, 23:34   #29
torstein.gran@g

torstein.gran@g is an unknown quantity at this point

make clusteralliaces good 4 new players by redusing traveltime and give salvage based on how close u are the galaxy attacked.

galaxy defence:25%
cluster defence:15%
universe defence(normaly just alliance def):5%

this will make clusteralliances get back in the game and give the new people of pa a place 2 be and might stay longer and bring more players in
torstein.gran@g is offline   Reply With Quote