User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 5 Jul 2006, 22:31   #1
All Systems Go

All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Marxism 2006

tomorrow I am heading off from the relative peace and quiet of the South Wales Valleys to face the hussle and bussle of Central London.

I am going to a five-day event called Marxism 2006. I know there are a number of people here who are to the Left of the political spectrum and I was wondering if any of you are going or if you have been to this previously.

If so, what should I expect?

Does it run on into the night?
Is it all in one big field, like Reading Festival or is it spread over numerous smaller areas?

One very good point was raised by a friend of mine. Who, in their infinite wisdom decided to call a large number of people into Central London on the weekend which shares the anniversary of the terror attacks?
The 20th century has been characterised by three developments of great political importance. The growth of democracy; the growth of corporate power; and the growth of corporate propaganda as a means of protecting corporate power against democracy.
All Systems Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Jul 2006, 23:10   #2
s|k
Caveat Lector

s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Marxism 2006

Out of curiosity do they charge a fee for said event?
Unread 5 Jul 2006, 23:20   #3
All Systems Go

All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Yes they do.

A number of people have asked me this as if by some type of 'Communist trickery' or something this event (which is being held in the centre of London) will not cost anything to hold.

An argument could be made that they are charging too much for this event but that will have to wait until I get back and know what I've paid for. But at the end of the day there will always be a charge because of basic economic realities.
The 20th century has been characterised by three developments of great political importance. The growth of democracy; the growth of corporate power; and the growth of corporate propaganda as a means of protecting corporate power against democracy.
All Systems Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Jul 2006, 23:41   #4
dda
USS Oklahoma

dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Is Marxism 2006 a Marx brothers film festival?
Unread 5 Jul 2006, 23:47   #5
Paisley
The brother of Spammer

Paisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of light

Groucho impressionists with moustastes and cigars cracking the one liners

could be a laugh
Paisley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Jul 2006, 07:05   #6
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by All Systems Go
An argument could be made that they are charging too much for this event but that will have to wait until I get back and know what I've paid for. But at the end of the day there will always be a charge because of basic economic realities.
I suspect one (minor) reason for the charge is to keep trolls out. There are an inordinate amount of people (most of whom are borderline mentally ill*) who seem to enjoy disrupting such events for various reasons. If these sorts of events were free you'd have people shouting out interruptions fairly often. In a big public demo it's less of a concern (as one twat can easily be shouted down) but in a more intimate setting it's a bigger problem. Clearly there's no "lefty test" they can make you test before you go in, but spending £40+ means you're relatively serious.

* No, seriously. Check out a large number of people on Usenet for example.
Quote:
Originally Posted by T&F
I have been on the fringes of such events. The real fun is getting pissed afterwards.
I think this is a universal truth about such things. Most of the hard left are alcoholics and this serves as useful excuse.

From what I know it's in a few class rooms / lecture theatres of the University of London - some at Birkbeck, some at SOAS, some at UCL and so on. It's all in a reasonably compact geographical area, although I can't confirm that as my work websense blocks "Political" websites (but accessing the Telegraph or Daily Mail politics sections are fine, grumble grumble). But you should be right between a pretty central bit of London between Euston and Tottenham Court Road.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Jul 2006, 07:24   #7
Yahwe
I am.

Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paisley
Groucho impressionists with moustastes and cigars cracking the one liners

could be a laugh
Stalin: "You and your family are off to die in Siberia! Bom Bom Bom Bom!"
Unread 6 Jul 2006, 08:21   #8
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante Hicks
I suspect one (minor) reason for the charge is to keep trolls out. There are an inordinate amount of people (most of whom are borderline mentally ill*) who seem to enjoy disrupting such events for various reasons.
I would imagine that many of those present at Marxism 2006 support (eg) the anarchist protests against G8 or disruptions of white supremecist rallies, so there isnt really any morall highground to be had here. People are always going to demonstrate against political groups that they find evil, and I suspect that the only reason there arent more protests against Marxism 2006 is because most people think communism is largely irrelevant, whereas G8 superficially has more political power. If the UK was actually on the brink of becoming communist, then actively disrupting an event like this may be perfectly justified (depending on pragmatics).

Last edited by Nodrog; 6 Jul 2006 at 08:30.
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Jul 2006, 08:32   #9
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toccata & Fugue
"No wait they are both going at the same time, apaprently someone said the G8 was more powerful than a Marxists conference in london"
I edited it to say 'superficially more powerful', since it probably isnt really. The actions of politicians are largely shaped by the intellectual climate they exist in; ideas are important.
Unread 6 Jul 2006, 08:33   #10
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodrog
People will always going to demonstrate against political organisations that they find evil
Absolutley, and if the sort of things you got were (say) people shouting "Stalin murdered millions" or "Communism is antithetical to human nature" or "Taxation is legalised extortion" or something then while I'd grimace, I'd at least get it. But in these cases a lot of the things are utterly bizarre - e.g. personal allegations of sexual abuse, comments about Masonic and/or Jewish conspiracies, airing of personal greivances or problems, etc.

And you're right, there is no moral highground to be had, although I don't think the G8 is a good example - a better one would be leftist disruptions of fascist marches, that sort of thing. While the G8 is not necessarily a coherent political entity, I think you can say it has enough shared characteristics to have some sort collective responsibility. It might even be said to be responsible for actions which some might term crimes. People marching / discussing things is a different matter, which is why I have mixed feelings about disrupting NF meetings as a political tactic.

edit : You edited to make your example different.
Unread 6 Jul 2006, 08:39   #11
Nodrog

Quote:
Absolutley, and if the sort of things you got were (say) people shouting "Stalin murdered millions" or "Communism is antithetical to human nature" or "Taxation is legalised extortion" or something then while I'd grimace, I'd at least get it. But in these cases a lot of the things are utterly bizarre - e.g. personal allegations of sexual abuse, comments about Masonic and/or Jewish conspiracies, airing of personal greivances or problems, etc.
(
Hah. Well I dont go to these things so, I've no idea what sort of people turn up, but this isnt surprising I suppose - the internet has made me familiar with the type of crank that often gets passionate about fringe politics. The fact you mentioned Usenet should have been a give-away really.

Last edited by Nodrog; 6 Jul 2006 at 09:24.
Unread 6 Jul 2006, 09:08   #12
ceres

ceres has much to be proud ofceres has much to be proud ofceres has much to be proud ofceres has much to be proud ofceres has much to be proud ofceres has much to be proud ofceres has much to be proud ofceres has much to be proud ofceres has much to be proud ofceres has much to be proud of

Sellers of tin-foil rejoice.
________
California medical marijuana dispensaries

Last edited by ceres; 31 Aug 2011 at 07:10.
ceres is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Jul 2006, 11:09   #13
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Clearly there's no "lefty test" they can make you test before you go in, but spending £40+ means you're relatively serious.
Capitalism doesn't do marxists, but if they did they'd probably be the best marxists in the world.
Unread 6 Jul 2006, 11:17   #14
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyBGood
Capitalism doesn't do marxists, but if they did they'd probably be the best marxists in the world.
Well, the seriousness test could be pretty much anything at all, like everyone who comes in has to have over a kilo of sugar, but in a capitalist society money's a bit more common place in terms of every day carrying around.

Also capitalism does make marxists. And they are the best in the world.
Unread 6 Jul 2006, 11:20   #15
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I'd like to see the qualifier being reciting the final page of Das Kapital backwards while standing on your head. Failure to do so correctly results in the downing of a litre of beer.
Unread 6 Jul 2006, 12:30   #16
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Exclamation Re: Marxism 2006

It's got nothing to do with Marxism - it's just a glorified beerfest for people who don't wash.
Marilyn Manson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Jul 2006, 12:40   #17
JonnyBGood
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marilyn Manson
It's got nothing to do with Marxism - it's just a glorified beerfest for people who don't wash.
"Just Another Glorious Opportunity To Meet Dante" then.
Unread 6 Jul 2006, 12:42   #18
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyBGood
"Just Another Glorious Opportunity To Meet Dante" then.
It's just another glorious opportunity for Dante to 'meat' someone, don't you mean?
Unread 6 Jul 2006, 12:44   #19
JonnyBGood
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marilyn Manson
It's just another glorious opportunity for Dante to 'meat' something, don't you mean?
Never miss a genuine opportunity.
Unread 6 Jul 2006, 12:54   #20
Marilyn Manson
Gone

It's a well known fact that people only go to these sorts of political confrences and meetings to get pissed up to the eyeballs and shag about.

I mean for ****s sake, the only reason Labour still has a ****ing annual conference is so their party activists can keep the bars and brothels of various northern seaside towns humming. If Blair had his way then the whole thing have been abolished fifteen ****ing years ago. The only reason it's still going is because of the pressure of members and activists to retain somewhere to get their knobs and ****s out away from their other halfs.
Unread 6 Jul 2006, 12:57   #21
JonnyBGood
Banned

I'm sure that at least the drunken conversations are all about the abolition of private property and the competitions involve proving yourself to be the most hardcore marxist by how many tattoes of soviet premiers you have on your back.
Unread 6 Jul 2006, 13:01   #22
Marilyn Manson
Gone

http://www.swp.org.uk/marxism/practical.htm

Quote:
Luggage and Lost Property

The luggage room is on the second floor of ULU. Please note all luggage is left at owners risk so please keep all valuables with you. Any lost property should be reported to Marxism Box Office.
Apply at the Marxism box office for a 'Property is Theft' placard with which to picket the luggage room.
Unread 6 Jul 2006, 13:56   #23
JonnyBGood
Banned

"You can't like, 'lose' property man!"
"I can, but that's because I'm not a penniless hippy."
Unread 6 Jul 2006, 14:06   #24
Hicks
Raaaaaaaah!

Hicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

You will be mugged and probably killed, London is full of crazy people, do the right thing and stay in the lush green valleys of Wales !
Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote