User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 23 Jan 2007, 02:43   #1
Knight Theamion
Miles Teg

Knight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
UFO:Enemy Unknown aka X-COM Defence

Some might hope that I now announce that the series have been brought back to life. Unfortunately, no.

However I found the following games:
http://www.ufo-aftermath.com/pages/headquarters.html
http://www.ufo-aftershock.com/pages/hq.html
http://www.ufo-afterlight.com/pages/hq.html

Aka, the UFO-Aftermath, the UFO-Aftershock and the UFO-Afterlight website. It looks nice and maybe even rather addictive. I just played the Splinter Cell series and brought that to a good end and am now open for a new challenge. Or well, as long as this exam period lasts. However, this is about this weird UFO-trilogy, anyone played it? What is our response to it? I can only asume that it can never match the original X-COM UFO-Defence, which I know as UFO:Enemy Unknown, but does it come remotely close?
Unread 23 Jan 2007, 02:54   #2
Hicks
Raaaaaaaah!

Hicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Re: UFO:Enemy Unknown aka X-COM Defence

I bought Aftermath, wasn't as good as XCOM despite being almost a direct copy. If you need a more modern fix it does ok though, make sure you patch it because from what I remember the retail version had some major bugs.

Get XCOM with the Windows XP fix, still a great game even now.
Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Jan 2007, 02:58   #3
Baron Morte
Blatantly overcooked

Baron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud of

I never really understood how the game was played. I felt really dumb and never played it again. I was nine years old and all i could do was 'research on gauss rifles'

I dont exactly remember which on of the series that was.... it is underwater and...
well
ill play it again to tell you people what i think of it
Unread 23 Jan 2007, 03:02   #4
Hicks
Raaaaaaaah!

Hicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

That was the second of the series, XCOM: Terror From the Deep. It was essential exactly the same as XCOM: UFO Defense/UFO: Enemy Unknown but underwater.
Unread 23 Jan 2007, 11:06   #5
Phalon
Insanely Insignificant

Phalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

XCOM:Enemy Unkown is still, to this very day, one of my all time favourite games. It's easily the best game of its genre that has EVER existed.

Where can i find the original and this XP fix? Still resort to breaking out the old PS1 everytime I desire some Muton or Ethereal killing

All is nothing, without you.
Phalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Jan 2007, 11:29   #6
Hicks
Raaaaaaaah!

XCOM: UFO Defence
XCOM: Terror From The Deep
XCOM: Apocalypse

A fix to get all three running in XP can be found here.
Unread 23 Jan 2007, 13:17   #7
ChubbyChecker
King of The Fat Boys

ChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriend

I've played the first in the new series (Aftermath was it? I can't find my copy, I think I lost it / threw it away). It's not a terrible game. The gameplay is ok, not as good as Enemy Unknown, but not really up to today's standards either. The environments are all pretty drab and samey looking, the same goes for the aliens. If you can get it cheap you might want to check it out, don't expect anything great though.

Then again the original (Enemy Unkown) wasn't perfect either. For example when the psionics start coming into play that pretty much overrides the need for anything else in the game. Still a great game though, I might try out again sometime
Unread 23 Jan 2007, 15:14   #8
Obliterate
:cool:

Obliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant future

I loved that game, and reading this thread has made me want to play it again. I never did complete it though....
Unread 23 Jan 2007, 19:07   #9
Woman with Kid
Welcome to New York

Woman with Kid is on a distinguished road

I have the original on a copied CD. It's not write-protected, so I could knock up a copy if anyone wants one. I probably couldn't be arsed though.
Unread 23 Jan 2007, 19:08   #10
Knight Theamion
Miles Teg

Knight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

mmmm aliens are terrorizing perth

SKYRANGER 1 TO THE RESCUE

(I've downloaded it and am playing it again :S)
Unread 23 Jan 2007, 19:11   #11
Woman with Kid
Welcome to New York

Woman with Kid is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Theamion
mmmm aliens are terrorizing perth
If we're talking about Perth in Scotland, then good on the aliens. I'll buy them a pint if I ever see them.
Unread 25 Jan 2007, 11:50   #12
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woman with Kid
If we're talking about Perth in Scotland, then good on the aliens. I'll buy them a pint if I ever see them.
I live in Perth, but not in Scotland. Here's hoping the aliens loose though, for a change.
Ultimate Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Jan 2007, 13:39   #13
djbass
mmm.. pills

djbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm, i played XCOM - Terror from the deep from a demo disk i got on a pc mag many years ago and i just never got it.

They always killed my team off in the first 3-5 turns and generally I find them to be quite disturbingly scary so I shunted that game to the side never to be touched again.
Unread 25 Jan 2007, 15:36   #14
Mighteh
Your typical Troll

Mighteh is infamous around these partsMighteh is infamous around these partsMighteh is infamous around these partsMighteh is infamous around these partsMighteh is infamous around these parts

xcom so rocked....
it is so deeply upsetitng that game with such a great gameplay has not been brought back. i wonder if there is a petition going around to bring it back... maybe even on a platform (/imagines cool 360 graphics of xcom)
And an illustrated book about birds
See alot up there
But dont be scared
who needs action, when you got words....
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbg
reading this line is explicit acceptance of my superiority over you
Mighteh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Jan 2007, 16:03   #15
ChubbyChecker
King of The Fat Boys

ChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by djbass
Hmm, i played XCOM - Terror from the deep from a demo disk i got on a pc mag many years ago and i just never got it.

They always killed my team off in the first 3-5 turns and generally I find them to be quite disturbingly scary so I shunted that game to the side never to be touched again.
Some people say that Terror From the Deep is the same as Enemy Unkown but I didn't find that at all. Terror From the Deep is just plain shit by comparison.

So in short, play Enemy Unkown!