User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 24 Jun 2004, 03:24   #1
'|'empest
Stoke

'|'empest is an unknown quantity at this point
Maths people, enlighten me

There is a rule which states that a number diviedes by three if it's digits added together will also devide by three

for example, take the number 4572 is it divisable by 3?

4+5+7+2 = 18, so yes, the number is divisable by 3.

and according to the calculator 4572 devided by 3 is 1524

So, here's my question - how do you go about proving this rule mathematically?
'|'empest is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Jun 2004, 03:24   #2
Ste
Bored

Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Maths people, enlighten me

it works - end of story.

yeh so Plastic Brilliance is now known as FOXYSTOAT - Come on by and check it out!
Ste is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Jun 2004, 03:40   #3
acropolis
Vermin Supreme

acropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better place

abcde = a * 10000 + b * 1000 + c* 100 + d*10 + e
= a + 9999a + b + 999b + c + 99c + d + 9d + e
= (a + b + c + d + e) + (9999a + 999b + 99c + 9d)

the part on the right is obviously divisible by three, if the part on the left is divisible by three as well, the whole thing is
QED

(you woudl be more impressed if oyu knew how druknk i was)
acropolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Jun 2004, 03:43   #4
'|'empest
Stoke

'|'empest is an unknown quantity at this point

nice

did you generally know that or have to put thought into it?
'|'empest is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Jun 2004, 03:48   #5
acropolis
Vermin Supreme

acropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better place

Quote:
Originally Posted by '|'empest
nice

did you generally know that or have to put thought into it?
thought about it.

wrote the first two lines in about a minute, stared at it while sipping beer for about five minutes, then added the third line with the exaplnantion.
acropolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Jun 2004, 08:18   #6
TheShadowMan
Choice of Whacker sir?

TheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by acropolis
abcde = a * 10000 + b * 1000 + c* 100 + d*10 + e
= a + 9999a + b + 999b + c + 99c + d + 9d + e
= (a + b + c + d + e) + (9999a + 999b + 99c + 9d)

the part on the right is obviously divisible by three, if the part on the left is divisible by three as well, the whole thing is
QED

(you woudl be more impressed if oyu knew how druknk i was)
man that formula is flawed as in it doesn't prove what waws oringially asked.

because the abcde can represent any number but not all numbers are divisable by 3

If number has four digits and each digit is represented by a(x),a(x+1),a(x+2,a(x+2)4...
if a(x) + a(x+1)/3 = even number
then the whole number is divisable by 3

oki bored will come back and fix

Last edited by TheShadowMan; 24 Jun 2004 at 08:24. Reason: Gonna keep editing til i get proof
TheShadowMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Jun 2004, 08:21   #7
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadowMan
man that formula is flawed as in it doesn't prove what waws oringially asked.

because the abcde can represent any number but not all numbers are divisable by 3
No it can't you buffoon.

The question is: 'If a+b+c+d+e is divisable by 3, then why is abcde divisible by 3?'

It's been proven that abcde is divisible by 3 if a+b+c+d+e, because its a given in the question

It's like proving that d e^x /dx = e^x, then you coming along and saying 'Ah, but d x^2/dx =! e^x'.

THAT'S NOT THE QUESTION
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Jun 2004, 08:27   #8
TheShadowMan
Choice of Whacker sir?

TheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud of

yeh but you have prove that sum of digits are divisable by three to prove by the number is divisable by 3

else you can just say that the reason the number can be divided by 3 is because it is a multilpe 3
Unread 24 Jun 2004, 08:35   #9
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
yeh but you have prove that sum of digits are divisable by three to prove by the number is divisable by 3
Ok, let me put this in a simpler way.

IT'S NOT DIVISIBLE BY THREE IF THE SUM OF THE DIGITS AREN'T DIVISIBLE BY THREE, SO PROVING INDEPENDENT OF WHAT 'A+B+C+D+E' IS IS NOT ONLY POINTLESS, IT'S ALSO IMPOSSIBLE

Quote:
else you can just say that the reason the number can be divided by 3 is because it is a multilpe 3
If it isn't a multiple of 3, it can't be divided integrally by 3. That's an obvious given to this little exercise dude.
Unread 24 Jun 2004, 08:38   #10
TheShadowMan
Choice of Whacker sir?

ah so all numbers that divisable by three, those digits of those numbers all when added together are divisable by three.

I understand now it just wasn't clear in the question
Unread 24 Jun 2004, 08:43   #11
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
I understand now it just wasn't clear in the question
Why not read the first line of the thread?
Unread 24 Jun 2004, 08:50   #12
Radical Edward

Radical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriend

every third integer starting at 3, divided by 3 is an integer.

ok 3..... 2..... 1.. let's jam
Radical Edward is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Jun 2004, 10:58   #13
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Jun 2004, 11:24   #14
Radical Edward

Radical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodrog
true dat.

ok 3..... 2..... 1.. let's jam
Radical Edward is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Jun 2004, 14:32   #15
Knight Theamion
Miles Teg

Knight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

a+b+c...+z=>a+b+c+...d=>9
(if you make a 1 digit of it by calcing it, like 54=>9 and 99=>18=>9)

then abcd...z is divisionable by 9
Unread 24 Jun 2004, 14:38   #16
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

"it's divisble by 9 iff the sum of the diigits is divisible by 9, assuming its an integer" would be an easier way of stating it.
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Jun 2004, 14:54   #17
Knight Theamion
Miles Teg

Knight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

i suck at those things