User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 25 May 2003, 20:54   #1
'|'empest
Stoke

'|'empest is an unknown quantity at this point
a maths question...

find dy/dx of ln(1+tan^2 x)

How does one go about solving this?
'|'empest is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 May 2003, 21:01   #2
Proteus
Lord Denning

Proteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriend
Differential of ln(something) is ( 1/(something) x (differential of something)) I think.

I can't remember what the differential of tan^2 is though. tan^2 sec^2 sounds familiar however.

If it is (and don't take my word for it), the answer would be ((tan^2 x)(sec^2 x)) / (1 + (tan^2 x)).

However, (1 + tan^2 x) is (sec^2 x) I think, which would make the whole thing (tan^2 x).

Don't believe me though, I'm a Classicist!
He was crowned in York Cathedral as 'Expert in the West' by Pope Urban III in 1186.
Proteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 May 2003, 21:03   #3
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

NEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriend
paging Mrl_Jakiri to thread 164612
paging Sarina_Joy to thread 164612
[20:27:47] <nodrog-aawy> **** i think my housemate just caught me masturbating
[11:25:32] <idimmu> you are a little piggy arent you
[13:17:00] <KaneED> i'm so closet i'm like narnia
Unread 25 May 2003, 21:04   #4
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Very easily.

Proteus is right you know. (1/something) * d (something) / dx.

Ps. 1 + tan^2 = sec^2.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 May 2003, 21:05   #5
Proteus
Lord Denning

Proteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriend
Quote:
Originally posted by MrL_JaKiri
Very easily.

Proteus is right you know. (1/something) * d (something) / dx.

Ps. 1 + tan^2 = sec^2.
I am? That's amazing! I thought I'd forgotten Maths.
He was crowned in York Cathedral as 'Expert in the West' by Pope Urban III in 1186.
Unread 25 May 2003, 21:05   #6
W
Gubbish

W is a jewel in the roughW is a jewel in the roughW is a jewel in the rough
Re: a maths question...

Quote:
Originally posted by '|'empest
find dy/dx of ln(1+tan^2 x)

How does one go about solving this?
First of all, I am unsure on the notation tan^2 x, but will assume it means (tan(x))^2 (which I write as tan(x)^2, call me a coder)
also, I write dy/dx of f(x) as f(x)'

ln(u(x))'=u'(x)/u(x)
u(x)=1+tan(x)^2=sec(x)^2
u'(x)=2tan(x)*sec(x)^2

ln(1+tan(x)^2)'=2tan(x)sec(x)^2/sec(x)^2=2tan(x)
Unread 25 May 2003, 21:13   #7
'|'empest
Stoke

'|'empest is an unknown quantity at this point
Danke.

I knew it was a composite function, and that it would be 1/x * dy/dx of tan^2 x, but didn't have an effing clue what that was.
'|'empest is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 May 2003, 21:37   #8
Anu
Kontrč*******

Anu is infamous around these parts
int(ln(1+tan(x)^2)*dx)

Help me on this one please
Anu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 May 2003, 21:42   #9
W
Gubbish

Quote:
Originally posted by Anu
int(ln(1+tan(x)^2)*dx)

No?
Unread 25 May 2003, 21:42   #10
Anu
Kontrč*******

please, pretty please!
Unread 25 May 2003, 21:46   #11
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by Anu
int(ln(1+tan(x)^2)*dx)

I solved it in a truly remarkable way, but unfortunately this post is too small to contain the solution.
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 May 2003, 21:48   #12
Anu
Kontrč*******

Quote:
Originally posted by Nodrog
I solved it in a truly remarkable way, but unfortunately this post is too small to contain the solution.
Maple is ghey

meaple too?
Unread 25 May 2003, 21:50   #13
Proteus
Lord Denning

Quote:
Originally posted by Anu
Maple is ghey

meaple too?
Eh?
Unread 25 May 2003, 21:51   #14
Ragnarak

Ragnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally posted by Anu
int(ln(1+tan(x)^2)*dx)

do what W did in reverse

int (f(x)'/f(x)) = ln(f(x))
etc
Are the best i've ever had
Ragnarak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 May 2003, 21:54   #15
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by Ragnarak
do what W did in reverse

int (f(x)'/f(x)) = ln(f(x))
etc
You could do that if it was the derivative of a function divided by the function, but unfortunately it isn't.
Unread 25 May 2003, 21:54   #16
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

ps it's f'(x), at least in England and America.
Unread 25 May 2003, 21:56   #17
Ragnarak

Ragnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
You could do that if it was the derivative of a function divided by the function, but unfortunately it isn't.
oops (i only half read it )

and erm oops again

nm
Are the best i've ever had
Ragnarak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 May 2003, 23:22   #18
MrPeach

MrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud of
Thankyou for reminding me why I quit maths a few weeks ago I was almost regretting it
MrPeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 May 2003, 23:35   #19
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

What, applying a really really simple rule?
Unread 25 May 2003, 23:41   #20
Anu
Kontrč*******

maths is following rules
Unread 25 May 2003, 23:41   #21
Proteus
Lord Denning

Maths is fun.
Unread 25 May 2003, 23:45   #22
inf
Banned

inf is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
ps it's f'(x), at least in England and America.
the dy/dx style notation is also used.

f'(x), f''(x) etc. is the french notation.
inf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 May 2003, 23:45   #23
W
Gubbish

It's a whole 'nother ball of wax, and one of the reasons I tired of maths.
Unread 25 May 2003, 23:46   #24
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally posted by inf
both are used, it's the french notation.
That's no excuse!
Unread 25 May 2003, 23:48   #25
inf
Banned

Quote:
That's no excuse!
I have only studied A-Level Maths, we use the dy/dx style.
Unread 25 May 2003, 23:51   #26
Anu
Kontrč*******

Physicist tend to use the dot thing don't they?
(one dot above f(x) means the first derivative, two dots means the second, and so on)
Unread 25 May 2003, 23:56   #27
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally posted by Anu
(one dot above f(x) means the first derivative, two dots means the second, and so on)
f dash x usually.

f double dash etc.
Unread 26 May 2003, 00:04   #28
Anu
Kontrč*******

Method 4

right. used in dynamics and the like
Unread 26 May 2003, 00:10   #29
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

I know what it is, I've used it in mechanics at A-level, just never in physics.
Unread 26 May 2003, 00:15   #30
MrPeach

MrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud of
Quote:
What, applying a really really simple rule?
Not at all, I could do it... Was just that its boring and pointless

(yes i know this doesn't apply to everyone)
Unread 26 May 2003, 00:18   #31
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

It being pointless is independent on the individual.

And it isn't.
Unread 26 May 2003, 00:20   #32
MrPeach

Quote:
It being pointless is independent on the individual.

And it isn't.
No. Its pointless for me to do... Sorry for my phrasing.
Unread 26 May 2003, 09:39   #33
Radical Edward

Radical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriend
you lot conjugate.

ok 3..... 2..... 1.. let's jam
Radical Edward is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 May 2003, 09:59   #34
Proteus
Lord Denning

Quote:
Originally posted by Radical Edward
you lot conjugate.
No, that would be me.
Unread 26 May 2003, 11:06   #35
Fleet_Multiplex
Hell

Fleet_Multiplex is an unknown quantity at this point
i hate differentiating with ln
http://www.seraphimhq.net/Uploads/VipsLogo1.jpg
ViruS Round 3-9, Executive Round 5-9

I shall not go quitely into the night without a fight, for I am an angel of war, bringer of a thousand deaths. Chain me. Beat me. Seduce me. It will gain you nothing but a smile of death. Dare to mock me, and you will burn in my blood.
Fleet_Multiplex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 May 2003, 11:09   #36
Radical Edward

Radical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriend
Quote:
Originally posted by Fleet_Multiplex
i hate differentiating with ln
you especially.

Unread 26 May 2003, 16:22   #37
inf
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Anu
That's the newton style notation, rarely used.
Unread 26 May 2003, 16:38   #38
djbass
mmm.. pills

djbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond repute
Ack!:eek:

Just gives me headaches looking at those formulas. Despite my efforts, I never did find any fun in maths. Especially since I loath to work with unknown variables.

=[DJ Bass]=
Unread 26 May 2003, 20:20   #39
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Yeah, the presence of this + thing scares me too.
Unread 27 May 2003, 07:50   #40
Radical Edward

Quote:
Originally posted by inf
That's the newton style notation, rarely used.
pretty much only used in position velocity and acceleration as far as I know.

Dirac notation > |*>

Unread 29 May 2003, 12:09   #41
queball
Ball

queball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so little
Quote:
pretty much only used in position velocity and acceleration as far as I know.

Dirac notation > |*>
more like |*&rang;

I would like help with this question:
Given that y=x^sinh x, prove that
y d&sup2;y/dx&sup2; - (dy/dx)&sup2; = y&sup2;/x

My attempt follows:
take logarithms,
ln y = sinhx ln x
differentiate wrt x,
1/y dy/dx = 1/x sinh x + coshx ln x
differentiate wrt x,
1/y d&sup2;y/dx&sup2; - 1/y&sup2; (dy/dx)&sup2; = 1/x cosh x - 1/x&sup2; sinh x + 1/x coshx + sinh x ln x
multiply by y&sup2;,
y d&sup2;y/dx&sup2; - (dy/dx)&sup2; = y&sup2;/x ( 2 cosh x - 1/x sinh x + x sinh x ln x )

The question might be wrong but it's doubtful.
queball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 May 2003, 02:36   #42
queball
Ball

queball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so little
Unread 30 May 2003, 05:04   #43
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Give me a minute, need to find some paper.

[edit]

Can't find any paper.

Do it tomorrow.

Last edited by MrL_JaKiri; 30 May 2003 at 05:53.
Unread 30 May 2003, 06:11   #44
Radical Edward

Quote:
Originally posted by queball
more like |*&rang;
maybe your keyset is different. all I see instead of your > is a box. what do you see instead of mine?

Unread 30 May 2003, 15:29   #45
queball
Ball

Quote:
maybe your keyset is different. all I see instead of your > is a box. what do you see instead of mine?
The ket part of a Dirac vector thing, it look sjust like on http://mathworld.wolfram.com/DiracNotation.html
Unread 30 May 2003, 15:48   #46
Anu
Kontrč*******

Did you try using sinh x = 1/2 (e^x - e^-x)

Prolly won't make any difference though.
Unread 30 May 2003, 15:59   #47
Radical Edward

Quote:
Originally posted by queball
The ket part of a Dirac vector thing, it look sjust like on http://mathworld.wolfram.com/DiracNotation.html
ok, so either you were point in at my use of the greater than symbol > or saying that Dirac notation = |*>

Unread 30 May 2003, 16:07   #48
Bloomers III
Cute and cuddly

Bloomers III has a spectacular aura aboutBloomers III has a spectacular aura aboutBloomers III has a spectacular aura about
omg nerd alert!^99

the answer is

24mathz