User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 4 Nov 2002, 14:05   #1
Vanilla

Vanilla has a spectacular aura aboutVanilla has a spectacular aura aboutVanilla has a spectacular aura about
Arrow So i finally bought Starcraft

I don't see what all the rage is about, i thought it was a pretty cack game.

There's no feeling of 'destruction' when you send units to attack. That an 90% of the time they get massacred.

What's the secret with this game eh?
Unread 4 Nov 2002, 14:14   #2
djbass
mmm.. pills

djbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond repute
I stopped playing RTS games after C&C, there hasn't been anything with decent gameplay since. Generals looks promising though.

=[DJ Bass]=
Unread 4 Nov 2002, 14:20   #3
Cocaine

Most games are the same now

You dont get games like X-Wing or Doom anymore
Unread 4 Nov 2002, 14:21   #4
W
Gubbish

W is a jewel in the roughW is a jewel in the roughW is a jewel in the rough
Sure you get the feeling of destruction, when you play skirmish games, instead of campaign. Play human vs human, with someone on your skill level, and you see what the game is all about.
Unread 4 Nov 2002, 14:28   #5
Insane Badger

Re: So i finally bought Starcraft

Quote:
Originally posted by Vanilla

multiplayer
Unread 4 Nov 2002, 14:42   #6
Hoopy

You bought it?
Unread 4 Nov 2002, 14:55   #7
ChubbyChecker
King of The Fat Boys

ChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:

There's no feeling of 'destruction' when you send units to attack. That an 90% of the time they get massacred.

I've never actually played Starcraft so I can't tell you whether it is good or not. But, if you had bought the game when it came out maybe you would have thought it was the best game ever. After all PC games age very quickly.
ChubbyChecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Nov 2002, 16:30   #8
Miserableman
Not a Cow

Miserableman is an unknown quantity at this point
The greatest thing about Starcraft is the three truly opposing playing styles, which somehow (nearly) balance out. Also there is no one invulnerable unit as there is in other games - Carriers are bloody powerful, but in a 1v1 or 2v2 they're too risky in great numbers.
Unread 4 Nov 2002, 16:32   #9
G_frog
Look over there!

G_frog is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Re: So i finally bought Starcraft

Quote:
Originally posted by ChubbyChecker

I've never actually played Starcraft so I can't tell you whether it is good or not. But, if you had bought the game when it came out maybe you would have thought it was the best game ever. After all PC games age very quickly.
Except Starcraft and a handful of others.

Vanilla, the secret of starcraft is called 'playing protoss' (oh and get the patch).
G_frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Nov 2002, 16:33   #10
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by Hoopy
You bought it?
lol w4R3z 4 eva, do u haV tHe n3w 0-day ISO of St4rCr4fT 2? I fXp-ed it last NiTe to some l33tz0r pub - lol the aDmin diDNt hAv a cLuE the st00pid n00b13 :-) u gt nEtHinG 2 tr4dez0r 4 it d00D?
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Nov 2002, 16:39   #11

Re: Re: Re: So i finally bought Starcraft

Quote:
Originally posted by G_frog

Except Starcraft and a handful of others.

Vanilla, the secret of starcraft is called 'playing protoss' (oh and get the patch).
and using the dark archon to nick drones and human builders so that u can face them with whaqtever they throw @ you, and use the dark protoss to keep rushing the enemy till they die of frustration
Unread 4 Nov 2002, 17:04   #12
LHC
J to the C to the A G E

LHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet society
Yay, can't beat a good bit of build and rush.
LHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Nov 2002, 17:10   #13
Mirai
Child Eating Zombie Clown

Mirai is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by Nodrog
lol w4R3z 4 eva, do u haV tHe n3w 0-day ISO of St4rCr4fT 2? I fXp-ed it last NiTe to some l33tz0r pub - lol the aDmin diDNt hAv a cLuE the st00pid n00b13 :-) u gt nEtHinG 2 tr4dez0r 4 it d00D?

It's been almost a year since I bought a game

Die You Bitch Minister of Insanity - "Timete Nostrum Piscem Furoris"

My fellow Americans, I'm pleased to tell you today that I've signed legislation that will outlaw Russia forever, we begin bombing in 5 minutes - President Ronald Reagan, in a radio check where he did not realize the microphone was on and the station broadcasting
Mirai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Nov 2002, 17:20   #14
Geeza
Dances With Sheep

Geeza is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by Mirai

It's been almost a year since I bought a game
whoopdee doo?
Of godlike hardship tells me I must die
Like a sick eagle looking at the sky.
---
Zak
Geeza is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Nov 2002, 17:22   #15

Quote:
Originally posted by Geeza
whoopdee doo?
oh, doo daa day
Unread 4 Nov 2002, 17:25   #16
'|'empest
Stoke

'|'empest is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

try fighting battles, not watching them.
'|'empest is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Nov 2002, 17:30   #17

Quote:
Originally posted by '|'empest

try fighting battles, not watching them.
try playing age of kings, conquerers

that is a truly awesome game, it would be better tho if you could have the entire planet to play on and play with real sized peices and no upper limit to your forces or technology
Unread 4 Nov 2002, 17:59   #18
'|'empest
Stoke

Quote:
Originally posted by ole_a

that is a truly awesome game, it would be better tho if you could have the entire planet to play on and play with real sized peices and no upper limit to your forces or technology
You lost me.

Much as I lost you I fear.
Unread 4 Nov 2002, 18:45   #19
mens
Sheep

mens is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

It's like 1.5 years since I stopped playing (when I started with PA)
I suck at it, but it used to be something like this (SC, not BW)

terr vs terr: early tank + goolies + wraths
terr vs zerg:marines and a few firebats - tanks later when mass hydra. science vessels with that green stuff are a must.
terr vs toss:tanks and vults.

toss vs toss: dragoons, reavers and maybe speed zealots.
toss vs zerg: zealots (upgrade +1 att fast) tech fast to templars with storm.
toss vs terr: dragoons and speed zealots.

zerg vs zerg: zerglings and mutalisks (later do lings/hydra, maybe queens with ensnare)
zerg vs toss: mass lings and hydra.
zerg vs terr: hydra/lings, upgrades, drop (don't remember).
mens is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Nov 2002, 19:10   #20
Ditcher

Ditcher is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
You bought it?
I bought it purely for multiplayer like quite a few other people also. It still rawks....
Unread 4 Nov 2002, 19:12   #21
Vanilla

Vanilla has a spectacular aura aboutVanilla has a spectacular aura aboutVanilla has a spectacular aura about
I see, I really should try it online then.

I got it for the bargain price of $9.99. So i thought 'why not'.

So far i played like two missions of the campaign (to see how it works) and then went straight to skirmist vs computer. I'm not one for campaigns, unless they're like operation flashpoint. Fun fun fun.
Unread 4 Nov 2002, 22:22   #22
Miserableman
Not a Cow

Unfortunately if you try it online you'll get mercilessly slaughtered. A shame, since in 10 years time everyone will remember Starcraft and no-one will remember WarIII
Unread 4 Nov 2002, 22:56   #23
Vanilla

Quote:
Originally posted by Miserableman
Unfortunately if you try it online you'll get mercilessly slaughtered. A shame, since in 10 years time everyone will remember Starcraft and no-one will remember WarIII
You enderestititimate my online strategy gaming skills.

I've still to find someone who can, regularly, beat me at empire eart, AEO II or settlers 4!

Unread 4 Nov 2002, 23:22   #24
'|'empest
Stoke

Quote:

I've still to find someone who can, regularly, beat me at empire eart, AEO II or settlers 4!

As Mis said, you'll die horribly online unless it's against another first timer.

Trust us with experience.
Unread 4 Nov 2002, 23:23   #25
Vanilla

ya ya

Simplified you're all saying you're all whores and im an innocent virgin.
Unread 5 Nov 2002, 00:10   #26
wu_trax

Quote:
Originally posted by ole_a

ABSOLUTLY RIGHT, a pitty they completly ****ed it up with AoM
3D = useless, EE just looked ugly and AoM aswell, so why does everyone start this 3d crap now??
star craft is overrated. i played a few games, then switched to AoE. i wonder whats up with these koreans, they play SC there like people here play football, they even broadcast games on tv
Unread 5 Nov 2002, 00:59   #27
CamelToe
You Know I'm Right

CamelToe is infamous around these partsCamelToe is infamous around these partsCamelToe is infamous around these partsCamelToe is infamous around these partsCamelToe is infamous around these parts
Quote:
You bought it?
get a job... if its worth downloading, its worth buying.

Don't act like you weren't thinking the same thing...

you should stop posting on these forums as you're CRAP
CamelToe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Nov 2002, 01:04   #28
Matrim
fascinated by bridges!

Matrim is an unknown quantity at this point
Vanilla, it's pretty neat in mp. Especially against someone you know is better than you, but then you beat him four times in a row because your moves are so absurd that noone could ever seriously expect them...!

Though I'm an idiot for stories so I've played all the campaigns :/

Matrim
Unread 5 Nov 2002, 02:58   #29
Miserableman
Not a Cow

Quote:

How quickly can you play 600 games? You might be about the bnet average by the time you're done :O) I'm sure you're good, but everyone on bnet has 2/3 years experience over you, and the only ones still playing are those who enjoy it because they win lots.

(Don't do what Lokken did though, and lose 500 of them)
Unread 5 Nov 2002, 03:49   #30
_RATM_
Loves you with mouth

_RATM_ is infamous around these parts_RATM_ is infamous around these parts
My brother bought it when it came out which was what, like 1997/98 and i burned it from him, do i win
Unread 5 Nov 2002, 06:33   #31
Starbucks
It was a Stupid Dream

Starbucks is on a distinguished road
its an okay game

takes a bit to get into tho
Starbucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Nov 2002, 09:32   #32
Ghosteh

The crap thing about SC, AoEII is that there are no units which you can just send in to 'clean house'. For example, in Red Alert, you could just sit back and send in the Navy (Allied) / Air Force (Soviets). In RA2 you have Carriers/Dreadnoughts/Special Weapons etc. In the other games it's numbers, because no one unit is overwhelming.
Unread 5 Nov 2002, 12:33   #33
lokken
BlueTuba

lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by Miserableman

How quickly can you play 600 games? You might be about the bnet average by the time you're done :O) I'm sure you're good, but everyone on bnet has 2/3 years experience over you, and the only ones still playing are those who enjoy it because they win lots.

(Don't do what Lokken did though, and lose 500 of them)
I enjoy it

AND I LOST 500 GAMES :DDDDDDDDDDDDdddddddddddd
Unread 5 Nov 2002, 14:43   #34
xtothez
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

xtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally posted by Ghosteh
The crap thing about SC, AoEII is that there are no units which you can just send in to 'clean house'. For example, in Red Alert, you could just sit back and send in the Navy (Allied) / Air Force (Soviets). In RA2 you have Carriers/Dreadnoughts/Special Weapons etc. In the other games it's numbers, because no one unit is overwhelming.
You missed the whole strategy bit of strategy games, didn't you?
Unread 5 Nov 2002, 16:25   #35
'|'empest
Stoke

Quote:
Originally posted by Ghosteh
words fail me
Unread 5 Nov 2002, 19:51   #36
Dace

SC can be good for carnage.

I played with a friend on a network.

I went Terran and he went Zerg.

We used the space platform type thing level (the one where you have like 4 platforms joined via bridges to a single platform in the midle).

My friend took control of 3 of the platforms and i had one.

I created the best defence i could (neither of us were allowed air units) aka **** loads of tanks.

My friend in the meantime had built up as many units as he could.

My friend then rushed me whilst building more units.

The carnage went on and on and on.

It was very good time fun.
Unread 5 Nov 2002, 21:06   #37
Car'a'carn

Quote:

the secret is STRATEGY... if you looking for a DOOM-type game (where u can see blood spillin all over the walls) go look at the FPS games not RTS, if you play it enough you eventually start thinking about actual strategy instead of throwing a single-file-line of 200 marines at a row of 24 siege tanks, i doubt even with stim pack they'd get anywhere near those tanks... each unit has certain advantages/disadvantages and you have to consider them before grouping them... e.g. think of cost (minerals/vespene), space taken up (max of 200 - large units take up 6 spaces), fire-power (siege tanks have insane ground range - they shoot farther than they can see but cannot attack air), unit (attack) speed (marines have low hp but if massed early in the game can rapidly destroy a base), etc.
sure building mass carriers / battle cruisers / guardians is effective, not on 1v1 though because the time and resources required are too much for most maps (e.g. easy on bgh but not ladder maps), giving the opponent time to build cheap units (e.g. lings/rines/z's) to mutilate ur base with... you lose once your buildings are gone

when i play on bnet i got bored of playing computers, unless set to insane mode they are no challenge... on insane mode i tend to lose because... well they're insane
now i play against other ppl and i do win more then lose and i get a rush while i'm playing cuz u don't know whether u got the upper hand or not... until you / enemy attacks and you either leave enemy with no base or he kills off your attack and counterstrikes and leaves you with no base...

so basically if you're dying too fast then strategize... though it is a bit late seeing as sc2 is about to come out so you shoulda spent your money on even wc3 or wait out for sc2 (ya i know i'm a blizzard fan)
Unread 5 Nov 2002, 21:10   #38
Ðiscorporation

Quote:
Originally posted by Car'a'carn
so basically if you're dying too fast then strategize... though it is a bit late seeing as sc2 is about to come out so you shoulda spent your money on even wc3 or wait out for sc2 (ya i know i'm a blizzard fan)
No SC2
Unread 6 Nov 2002, 00:01   #39
Miserableman
Not a Cow

www.battlereports.com is essential reading, although all the current reports are Warcraft III. Look in the archives (I even wrote one, back when I was a fresh-faced newbie)