User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Alliance Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 7 Nov 2002, 15:45   #1
Fasiel

moral/ethical problem

Well i have a question about which i am very curious what everyone would do.

situation :

You get attacked twice (overburn) by a planet that is in an allied gal. Eventhough you told him he just goes offline and later says to his gc he was too late too recal cause he couldn't get online (well everyone used that one one time in his pa live ;-) ).
So ok, he is in an allied gal so you leave it be after mailing a few times whith the gc of the gal and your own hc. And since the guy attacking you is almost 5 times your size you forget about it.
Now the problem arises the galaxy is under attck and you are asked if you can defend. At that moment you have in your mouse click the well being of the planet that is allied to you in that gal,, what do you do

1. say 'f@% this gal you didn't do **** to save me so you just get wiped
2. you are allied so i will defend you
3. pretend that your internet connection is having a prob so you can't send def
4. join in on the attack on the planet that had attacked you
5 something else

Well i am very curious :-)
Cause i am not really sure what to do...
Unread 7 Nov 2002, 16:07   #2
Zh|l
Inquisitor

Zh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
I would defend.

As such is loyalty to my alliance

Zhil
[Spore] Executive
[1up]
[Fury]
Inquisitorial Lord Protector of His Emperor's Glorius Empire
[20:19:04] <mazzelaar> I have to say a big up to Zhil - without those 8 def calls you covered we would've been screwed. | r12 End Ceremony
Zh|l is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Nov 2002, 16:13   #3
hAl
ensign forever

hAl is infamous around these partshAl is infamous around these partshAl is infamous around these partshAl is infamous around these partshAl is infamous around these partshAl is infamous around these parts
Off course you should defend your allie. Other options are either sad or pathetic.

hAl
Unread 7 Nov 2002, 16:16   #4

i would send one fleet defence to the allied planet and one fleet roiding to the planet that attacked me.
Unread 7 Nov 2002, 16:23   #5
gzambo
Fightin-irish for life

gzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant future
ofc u would defend ur ally but if it was me id attacker my attacker and tell my HC that it was an authorised retal

"In the absence of orders, find something and kill it."
-Rommel
gzambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Nov 2002, 16:31   #6
grkn
Shadow of the past

grkn is an unknown quantity at this point
Attacked once by planet in question:
Defend the galaxy - but not the little selfish sucker ...

Attacked twice:
As you told him the first time that he is attacking an allied planet, the second attack was no mistake for sure.
So, i'd just tell him that he behaved like a piece of **** twice now, it's time to return the favour ...

One OS to rule them all, One Passport to find them,
One OS to bring them all, And with the EULA bind them.
In the land of Redmond where the windows lie.

"...to leave the Elysium the dead had to drink from and travel beyond the River of Oblivion, Lethe, to once again return to the mortal realm..."
grkn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Nov 2002, 17:08   #7
Game

Id go for #5 and say i would of never let the ****er get away with it the first time let alone a second.

Although i prolly would defend the galaxy if push came to shove.
Unread 7 Nov 2002, 17:19   #8
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Anyone with an ounce of competence wouldnt defend.
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Nov 2002, 17:23   #9
dabult
Ark-miner wannabe

dabult will become famous soon enoughdabult will become famous soon enough
Ofc i would defend my ally.
He has a bad boy in his gal that attacked me, i dont see how anyone could ever consider that as your allys fault, and thus neglect him defence.
Unread 7 Nov 2002, 17:24   #10
Game

Quote:
Originally posted by Nodrog
Anyone with an ounce of competence wouldnt defend.
I assume your talking about not defending the particular planet, or the entire galaxy?
Unread 7 Nov 2002, 17:26   #11
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by Game

I assume your talking about not defending the particular planet, or the entire galaxy?
Depends on the structure of the galaxy, and whether the ally is a personal friend.

Id probably be tempted to go for "If the ally doesnt have the will/competence to control his galaxy, then he doesnt deserve my help" option. An alliance should be a group of skillful players working together, not one or two good players saving the weak members over and over again, while the weak members dont even have the ability to keep their own galaxies under control.

I suppose the game dynamic has changed now that you are likely to have lots of hostile enemy planets in your galaxy though, so it would probably come down to "Am I likely to need the help of this particular ally this round, and am I going to be risking a significant amount of score defending him?".
Unread 7 Nov 2002, 17:26   #12
Salomo
Commodore

Salomo is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Theamion!
i would send one fleet defence to the allied planet and one fleet roiding to the planet that attacked me.
the best solution :-)

r1: n00b
r2: 7:11 - T7C HC, WaC(Jr), Sedition HC
r3: 31:25 - Sedition, Century, SL HC
r4: 95:21 - BlueTubas'
r5: 30:5 - BlueTubas, VtS
r6: 33:24:1 - Deus Ex Machina HC, politically retired
r7: 38:22 -> 26:11 - RaH peon
r8: 12:3:4 - Defended by 1:1
Salomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Nov 2002, 17:28   #13
grkn
Shadow of the past

Quote:
Originally posted by dabult
Ofc i would defend my ally.
He has a bad boy in his gal that attacked me, i dont see how anyone could ever consider that as your allys fault, and thus neglect him defence.
If the alliance even deserved an ounce of loyality, it would have sacked the member in question or at least authed a 3+ tick retal on him after the second attack.

"...to leave the Elysium the dead had to drink from and travel beyond the River of Oblivion, Lethe, to once again return to the mortal realm..."
Unread 7 Nov 2002, 17:30   #14
Game

Quote:
Depends on the structure of the galaxy, and whether the ally is a personal friend.

Id probably be tempted to go for "If the ally doesnt have the will/competence to control his galaxy, then he doesnt deserve my help" option. An alliance should be a group of skillful players working together, not one or two good players saving the weak members over and over again, while the weak members dont even have the ability to keep their own galaxies under control.
Well it becomes clear to me from this guys post that he is one of the weak members of an alliance and is scared to ask for the retals that he deserves.

Maybe the player that attacked him feels the same as you do that he was attacking a weak member who the alliance dont need?
Unread 7 Nov 2002, 17:33   #15
Nodrog

Quote:
Originally posted by Game

Well it becomes clear to me from this guys post that he is one of the weak members of an alliance and is scared to ask for the retals that he deserves.

Maybe the player that attacked him feels the same as you do that he was attacking a weak member who the alliance dont need?
Either way, defending the galaxy probably isnt the best idea for him, unless failure to do so has a significant risk of him losing the help of his alliance for the rest of the round. Since the alliance doesnt seem to be helping him much defensively anyway, hes probaby better off not defending, but being subtle about it so he can still keep their protection.
Unread 7 Nov 2002, 17:34   #16
Zh|l
Inquisitor

Zh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
wait. I think I misunderstood the question.

Is this defending the planet of a member in my actual alliance? Or defending the guy who attacked me in that members galaxy? Or defending an 'ally' of my alliance?

I would simply

1) Get permission to hit the guy who attacked me (He would lose Fury protection)

2) Defend the guy within my alliance without question

3) Only defend non-Fury when requested by command and if all other Fury are covered.

Zhil
[Spore] Executive
[1up]
[Fury]
Inquisitorial Lord Protector of His Emperor's Glorius Empire
[20:19:04] <mazzelaar> I have to say a big up to Zhil - without those 8 def calls you covered we would've been screwed. | r12 End Ceremony
Zh|l is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Nov 2002, 17:35   #17
Game

Quote:
Either way, defending the galaxy probably isnt the best idea for him, unless failure to do so has a significant risk of him losing the help of his alliance for the rest of the round. Since the alliance doesnt seem to be helping him much defensively anyway, hes probaby better off not defending, but being subtle about it so he can still keep their protection.
Well id say hes ****ed that possiblity by asking on the pa boards heh.
Unread 7 Nov 2002, 17:40   #18
DarkAngel
Nothing Is Forever.

DarkAngel is an unknown quantity at this point
personally id defend the allied planet, and leave the one who attacked me to rot ... afterall you have no need to defend him .. but u do your allie, just as he was actually within right to attack you, just because allies use fl gal naps, doesnt mean players do.
Unread 7 Nov 2002, 18:06   #19
dabult
Ark-miner wannabe

dabult will become famous soon enoughdabult will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally posted by grkn

If the alliance even deserved an ounce of loyality, it would have sacked the member in question or at least authed a 3+ tick retal on him after the second attack.

I dont get that, the member did (hopefully) what he could. Its not like he could login to the evil guys account and recall any of those times.

So why would he be sacked because his galmate attacked you?

On another note.
If someone overburns on me twice, he gets retalled, eod. Allies in the gal or not.
Unread 7 Nov 2002, 18:22   #20
grkn
Shadow of the past

With 'alliance' the alliance in which you are a member is meant, not a specific player inside it. Also, the sacking refers to the member who attacked me.

For beeing attacked twice from the same player i expect a granting of a retal, period, and until this is done i'd do **** at all for this greedy lot unfortunate enough to call itself an "allied galaxy". If the galaxy denies that, i'll get the permision from my alliance. In case the alliance denies it also ... well ... it isn't like it's the only alliance out there, and also a retall doesn't necesarily require a permision to do as well ...

You fk up me, i fk up you, simple as that.
Also, i don't see any moral/ethical problem in this situation, as it is quite plain to me what to do and what not.

Unread 8 Nov 2002, 00:03   #21
Zitoz

Scenario:
You are member of Alliance.
You are 1:2:3
Your fellow member of Alliance is 1:3:4
Your fellow member of Alliance's fellow galaxy member is 1:3:5
1:3:5 attacks 1:2:3
2:2:2 attacks 1:3:4

Question:
Do you defend 1:3:4?

Answear:
You are under attack, by an unalied planet...
If your alliance can't send you defence, then you know how 1:3:4 is feeling, even he can get defence...
Your "right" move, would be to defend 1:3:4...
Then, get a authed retal on 1:3:5 later..
Unread 8 Nov 2002, 00:05   #22
Ska
Waging a war on errorism

Ska has a reputation beyond reputeSka has a reputation beyond reputeSka has a reputation beyond reputeSka has a reputation beyond reputeSka has a reputation beyond reputeSka has a reputation beyond reputeSka has a reputation beyond reputeSka has a reputation beyond reputeSka has a reputation beyond reputeSka has a reputation beyond reputeSka has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by Theamion!
I would send all my fleets at you, cause I want your roids
Unread 8 Nov 2002, 09:13   #23
N0VA
Your Nemesis and Beerg0d

N0VA is an unknown quantity at this point
If they are an ally - you defend - it doesn't matter if the anti-christ is in the galaxy. If they are a neutral in a friendly galaxy - you first check to see that all of your allies are covered, then you check to see if all of your good friends who occasionally defend you are covered - then you send defense. But if they are the ******* that forgot to log on to pull - you add more hostiles onto his screen and tell him he has no rights to keep your roids.

I have occasionally defended people one day that attacked me the previous day - but that is only because some political maneuverings caused me to be allied to them the day after they attacked me.

But more often than not, if a person values the chance of stealing your roids over the true meaning of alliance - then they deserve to have the piss roided out of them.

<Peacemaker1> you are projecting images that happen real. like if you were to get shot in a dream, you would wake up with a bullet hole through you
<Nova> that would suck
<RIT> yeh but It would rawk if you dreamt about lesbian orgies
<Peacemaker1> waking up in a pool of lubercant, and with dildo bruses all over. sure would
N0VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Nov 2002, 01:59   #24
mikay

mikay is an unknown quantity at this point
My fleets and while I'm the only one with my password I decide where they go. I'd assume someone else is likely to get incs that night so save your defence for them. If you are active with your alliance they'll accept this. Well, I mean unless they have cretinous officers on some kind of power trip but truth is it is about how well you know the BC and that's about how often you defend....

Oh and ethical problem? It's a game, play for fun.

<breeze|away> i agree about mang tho .. he is our mentor of perviness

R4: 48:25:13, 2E5 HC R5: n00b
R6: 3:10:1 Mangor, The Daddy
R7: 3:3:11 Retired
R8: c43 Finally free
PAX: 3:7:9 The Mentor of Perviness
mikay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Nov 2002, 05:56   #25
Wibbleh

get my attacker kicked in the nuts a few times, joining in on the attacks etc... nothing more to it

There are things like planetary naps nowadays..
Unread 10 Nov 2002, 11:21   #26
Ak`Shen

if someone has to do all that to get roids he`s just pathetic
Unread 10 Nov 2002, 11:27   #27
thomas4
CHICKEN DIPPHAAAAZ

thomas4 is an unknown quantity at this point
i would never defend anyone that has attacked me and got through, ally or not.

Defending the gal tho, thats a diffo matter.

So option 1 for the planet, but option 2 for the gal.
R4: [30:21:11] n00b
R5: [31:24:10] TFD
R6: [04:02:06] Xylem
R7: [27:20:11] Lithyn
R8: [29:02:05] Lithyn \ Elysium
R9: [05:05:09] WolfPack \ Sapientia (while it lasted...)
R9.5: [XX:XX:XX] Enjoying random inactivity...

Ex-Lithyn [\] †
thomas4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Nov 2002, 11:41   #28
Lord_Dain

Re: moral/ethical problem

Quote:
Originally posted by Fasiel
1. say 'f@% this gal you didn't do **** to save me so you just get wiped
2. you are allied so i will defend you
3. pretend that your internet connection is having a prob so you can't send def
4. join in on the attack on the planet that had attacked you
5 something else
2 and 4.

Defend your ally/alliance mate and payback the bitch who hit you.

I am sure your own alliance won't mind that in the middle of the heat and you sending def anyways. Give and take thing.

LD
Unread 10 Nov 2002, 19:17   #29

Quote:
Originally posted by Ska

I would send all my fleets at you, cause I want your roids