User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions

Unread 11 Aug 2006, 14:23   #51
Veedeejem!
Hibernating

Veedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Innocent until proven guilty

Lets be real here for a second, 1 credit costs 5£, there are 1000-1500 people (correct me if there are more) with a paid account and 3 rounds every year?
A quick calc leads me to believe that pa makes somewhere between 15000 - 22500£ on a yearly basis, that's not taking in account that some ppl buy multiple credits and it's cheaper, but it still leads to a whole lot of money for running maybe 2-3 servers, 1 for the game, 1 for the portal + forums, 1 for speedgames & testing. They don't need to pay anybody in pa-team caus they're all gullable ppl that actually run it for free. So where does the money go to? I hardly believe that 2-3 servers cost that much yearly.

If Jolt would invest only 10-15% of what this game brings in in advertisement we might see an increase in playerbase. But why would they invest in planetarion when it has a steady community willing to pay for it even when jolt gives nothing and i mean NOTHING back to the community?

The only realistic way pa is ever going to get an increase in playerbase is if the community comes up with a shitload of cash and buys pa back from jolt and then we have ppl running the game, advertising the game, that actually CARE about pa

[ToF] - [eXilition] - [Rock] - [Denial] - [DLR] - [eVolution] - [ODDR] - [HR] - [Ultores] - [Apprime] - [Ironborn]
Veedeejem! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Aug 2006, 15:08   #52
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future

I estimate that this year there will be roughly £18k worth of paid accounts - however if we bear in mind that a lot of thoose could have been credits purchased in previous years the actual number could be much lower.

PA has 3 dedicated servers + the forums servers.

These are not your standard cheap servers you pay for with full root access etc. On top of that jolt also has physical access to the servers. This means they are not cheap. So lets say £6k is taken up on servers.

This leaves £12k.

We then have to take into account that jotl orginally payed a lot of money to buy the game and paid some of the creators from back then to run the game. Thats a lot of money being spent as an intial investment.

We have also had some paid coders since then - I'm not entirly certain what they were paid, but probabaly all of our left over money (£12k) would have gone to them (had they been full time).

Jolt bought PA in 2003 - so thats 4 years we have had so far to pay off a pretty large amount of money.

I't estimate that at least another couple of years are needed to pay off the investments thus far assuming no additional costs appear (e.g. new paid coders)

Jolt has given a lot back to the community - for start PA has continued to exist for 3-4 years since they purchased it - they have invested resources in coders, they have made the occaisonal advertising investment, they have given two free rounds, they have given servers.

As to PATeam being gullable and working for free - our reasons for working for free are varied - we all love the game and want it to continue, but there are also other more direct benefits to us - the experiance of running a commerical online game looks damn good on a CV as an example. In fact I'd say to anyone that being invovled in the runing of PA at any level be it support team through to PATeam can only enhance career prospects and sop its definatly worth getting involved with.

On the point of advertising - there have been the odd banner campaign over the years - and basically our tools have indicated that they haven;t really made any noticeable difference to the player base. IF a sound business case for advertsing could be found then I am certain Jolt would consider it.

Round 6-10 NoS member-->NoS junior HC
Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Check out toastmonster.com for crazy illustrations and art
Kal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Aug 2006, 15:11   #53
Synthetic_Sid

Synthetic_Sid is a pillar of this Internet societySynthetic_Sid is a pillar of this Internet societySynthetic_Sid is a pillar of this Internet societySynthetic_Sid is a pillar of this Internet societySynthetic_Sid is a pillar of this Internet societySynthetic_Sid is a pillar of this Internet societySynthetic_Sid is a pillar of this Internet societySynthetic_Sid is a pillar of this Internet societySynthetic_Sid is a pillar of this Internet societySynthetic_Sid is a pillar of this Internet societySynthetic_Sid is a pillar of this Internet society

The issue that concerns me with this case is that the Zik who was attacked got closed (I assume he's reopened now). UNLESS there's evidence linking the attacker to the target then the target should NEVER be closed - or it allows any zik to get closed just by someone with a grudge against them sending a donation fleet at them.

Yes, if the MH believe the fleet was intended as a donation then the ships should be taken away and the attacker closed. But without any other evidence there's no way the target should be closed/have fleets recalled - as that's just an open invitation for people who are quitting to send pod-less fleets at ziks, pa-mail them saying "here's the ships I said I'd send you" then have a laugh when they get closed.
Unread 11 Aug 2006, 15:50   #54
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil^
Agreed, as should the rest of pateam, the support team etc. All should be compensated for their time and effort, by Jolt. ( and I dont mean with a box of chocolates at christmas to say thanks )

It is unfair to put so much of your time into a job that demands so much time, and effort - and get nothing but abuse for it.
If we started to get paid for what we do we wouldn't be justified in doing so much bitching though
Unread 11 Aug 2006, 16:57   #55
Synthetic_Sid

Synthetic_Sid is a pillar of this Internet societySynthetic_Sid is a pillar of this Internet societySynthetic_Sid is a pillar of this Internet societySynthetic_Sid is a pillar of this Internet societySynthetic_Sid is a pillar of this Internet societySynthetic_Sid is a pillar of this Internet societySynthetic_Sid is a pillar of this Internet societySynthetic_Sid is a pillar of this Internet societySynthetic_Sid is a pillar of this Internet societySynthetic_Sid is a pillar of this Internet societySynthetic_Sid is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyBGood
If we started to get paid for what we do we wouldn't be justified in doing so much bitching though
If PA team got paid for what they do, I suspect Jolt would make a profit from some them.
Unread 11 Aug 2006, 17:30   #56
Ska
Waging a war on errorism

Ska has a reputation beyond reputeSka has a reputation beyond reputeSka has a reputation beyond reputeSka has a reputation beyond reputeSka has a reputation beyond reputeSka has a reputation beyond reputeSka has a reputation beyond reputeSka has a reputation beyond reputeSka has a reputation beyond reputeSka has a reputation beyond reputeSka has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitinA
Actually there were destroyers returning at that eta. It was a fleetcatch, and it was defended. All attackers recalled, except for one who suicided into him. MH have the JGPs to prove it aswell. xVx HC even admitted that it was a fleetcatch, and they had assigned the target to the planet who crashed to laucnh there, but he overslept (the zik is in my alliance, the suicider in my galaxy). The suicider had also suicided his BS into defence a few days before that from oversleeping--guess that's what happens when you don't sleep too much then launch attacks.
Nah, they weren't returning that eta...though after chatting with Almi and reading Chipz post, it seems that one was indeed a case of just very odd timing/circumstance....
Unread 12 Aug 2006, 09:34   #57
Appocomaster
PA Team

Appocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ska
Nah, they weren't returning that eta...though after chatting with Almi and reading Chipz post, it seems that one was indeed a case of just very odd timing/circumstance....
yes, while the original circumstances did look fairly suspicious, and we were slightly misinformed, looking further into the case there were enough details to show that it was more circumstancial than anything else. unfortunately it took a while to sit down and sort it out. It was obviously inconvenient, and I have apoligised to those involved. I'll try and make sure in future that this delay in working out a case won't happen again.
Unread 12 Aug 2006, 10:12   #58
lizardking
tappajahai!

lizardking has much to be proud oflizardking has much to be proud oflizardking has much to be proud oflizardking has much to be proud oflizardking has much to be proud oflizardking has much to be proud oflizardking has much to be proud oflizardking has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appocomaster
yes, while the original circumstances did look fairly suspicious, and we were slightly misinformed, looking further into the case there were enough details to show that it was more circumstancial than anything else. unfortunately it took a while to sit down and sort it out. It was obviously inconvenient, and I have apoligised to those involved. I'll try and make sure in future that this delay in working out a case won't happen again.
I wonder if u ppl actually bothered to check up to the consequenses to the other ones effected by these doings. Heard sum1 was left defenceless by the action of a trigger easy mh. Surely, in my mind atleast it would be fair to compensate the lost roids and resources caused by an admin mistake?

Ofc not sure what happened there and if sum1 else got punished...

<[eX]MacTAnzu> u playing in the.. what was it.. game.planetarion.com ? or in pirate.planetarion.com ?

Ğragons

eX undercover Nihilum HC (thx to bwtmc)
lizardking is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Aug 2006, 12:18   #59
Treveler
Its time to roll the dice

Treveler has a brilliant futureTreveler has a brilliant futureTreveler has a brilliant futureTreveler has a brilliant futureTreveler has a brilliant futureTreveler has a brilliant futureTreveler has a brilliant futureTreveler has a brilliant futureTreveler has a brilliant futureTreveler has a brilliant futureTreveler has a brilliant future

I've never understood why closed accounts get their fleets recalled. A closed account should be semi-freezed meaning that they won’t get resources and cant do anything except recalling their fleets if they choose to.
Unread 19 Aug 2006, 01:24   #60
Pilgrim
Bline

Pilgrim is infamous around these partsPilgrim is infamous around these partsPilgrim is infamous around these partsPilgrim is infamous around these partsPilgrim is infamous around these partsPilgrim is infamous around these partsPilgrim is infamous around these partsPilgrim is infamous around these partsPilgrim is infamous around these partsPilgrim is infamous around these partsPilgrim is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gio2k
By the way, there is a reason this thread is on PD and not on AD. This is not about alliances, it's about planets getting closed and being treated like they don't pay for their right to play. It's about my opinion that multihunters should PROVE a planet is cheating before closing it, and not the other way around. So please don't make this an "Alliance X cheats" thread.

Ive never heard of accounts to be closed on a whim. The MHs usually have some logic behind their closures rather than oh im bored ill just see who i can piss off the most today
Pilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Aug 2006, 01:54   #61
The Real Arfy

The Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond repute

Well, the MH do seem a bit too trigger-happy when it comes to closures - whether the planet is reopened or not (which it usually is).

[16:10:34] <[lfc]stif|afk> "dont be the worst in your alliance, join CT. We have Arfy!"
The Real Arfy is offline   Reply With Quote