User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions

Unread 1 Mar 2006, 11:32   #1
Sjor

Sjor is a splendid one to beholdSjor is a splendid one to beholdSjor is a splendid one to beholdSjor is a splendid one to beholdSjor is a splendid one to beholdSjor is a splendid one to beholdSjor is a splendid one to behold
stats killing the round?

dont think need to post more but ill do

xp gives more than ship or roids

last 4 rounds we had a least totally screwed race

there is almost no way to keep roids but roids dont matter

losing roids = no fun

the game changed but the players stayed the same so maybe we need to make place for new players goinf purely for xp

Prod to not have been in many alliances
Sjor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Mar 2006, 11:34   #2
The_Fish
ND

The_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to all
Re: stats killing the round?

no.
Unread 1 Mar 2006, 11:37   #3
Sjor

Sjor is a splendid one to beholdSjor is a splendid one to beholdSjor is a splendid one to beholdSjor is a splendid one to beholdSjor is a splendid one to beholdSjor is a splendid one to beholdSjor is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fish
no.
comming from an ally purely attacking not even deffing in gal and building mass disorters

mkkkkk

Unread 1 Mar 2006, 11:38   #4
The_Fish
ND

The_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to all

Some of us defend in gal.
Unread 1 Mar 2006, 11:46   #5
bwtmc
thinking, that's all.

bwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond repute

We're little past halfway through the round. Expect XP to be prevalent.

If you remember way back when Rob finished t50 as a ter last round, you'll also remember he was doing rather better midround and that stagnation (and fleet compositions) eventually pegged back his gains.

You might also remember than he finished 8th or so the round before, with not far off double the score.

Why do we need to have this debate in a thousand different threads? :|
Unread 1 Mar 2006, 11:48   #6
bwtmc
thinking, that's all.

bwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond repute

With regard to your alliance in particular, I'd damn well expect that to be the case. When players de-tag (and some remain de-tagged), attacking heavily and not defending, the rest of the players WILL suffer high incoming because the alliance is perceived as strong, while there'll be a low number of players participating in defence - making them great targets.

Edit: Look up the top ten value players, and take a leaf out of their book.
Unread 1 Mar 2006, 11:56   #7
Sjor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwtmc
We're little past halfway through the round. Expect XP to be prevalent.

If you remember way back when Rob finished t50 as a ter last round, you'll also remember he was doing rather better midround and that stagnation (and fleet compositions) eventually pegged back his gains.

You might also remember than he finished 8th or so the round before, with not far off double the score.

Why do we need to have this debate in a thousand different threads? :|

dont mean only the XP thingie but hey the stats are so pro attacking its not fun anymore
r13 was the last round where u actually had some ship that were good for def and not being targeted by the attacker. see now we see almsot no Cr fleets
u land arround 90 % of the attakcs u do.
i jsut see more and more ppl giving up and beeing PO for losing roids constantly
As long u didnt go into the round with an aim to swap roids day in day out you find it quite boring

and dont get me wrong im a disrter whore too and not getting much incs
but i belong to maybe 10 % of the player that are on the "fun" side

Unread 1 Mar 2006, 12:22   #8
Squishy
Lost

Squishy has a reputation beyond reputeSquishy has a reputation beyond reputeSquishy has a reputation beyond reputeSquishy has a reputation beyond reputeSquishy has a reputation beyond reputeSquishy has a reputation beyond reputeSquishy has a reputation beyond reputeSquishy has a reputation beyond reputeSquishy has a reputation beyond reputeSquishy has a reputation beyond reputeSquishy has a reputation beyond repute

Every round their is going to be flaw in the stats. What experianced and skilled players should be doing is adapting to the current situation and playing their round based on that. Whining half way through a round that the stats suck because people are playing another way from you and doing it well is futile.

If XP is so wonderfull why dont you all play that way??

But i seriously think you will find the XP whores dropping out of the top ranks in the next 2 weeks.

Complaining about the stats wont help anything. They wont be changed halfway through the round. At the end of the round we might all look back and say wow those stats really sucked. Or as i think is more likly we will look back and realise they made for a very fluid top100 with XP and value players bpth having a good chance of doing well
Unread 1 Mar 2006, 12:36   #9
bwtmc
thinking, that's all.

That's true to an extent Sjor, big blocks also helped to create that situation. (R14 was much the same from a defensive point of view). R15 too come to think of it, it was the political actions taken by those 'leading' (trying to direct) the round that gave us huge +15% -15% roid changes.

Actually I really do think the major changes concern alliance politics, blocking and the fact that one alliance isn't yet dominant to the extent people start to attack less and lose enthusiasm. They're the key factors that have led to the last few PAX rounds becoming more defence-orientated.
Unread 1 Mar 2006, 12:46   #10
Squishy
Lost

Squishy has a reputation beyond reputeSquishy has a reputation beyond reputeSquishy has a reputation beyond reputeSquishy has a reputation beyond reputeSquishy has a reputation beyond reputeSquishy has a reputation beyond reputeSquishy has a reputation beyond reputeSquishy has a reputation beyond reputeSquishy has a reputation beyond reputeSquishy has a reputation beyond reputeSquishy has a reputation beyond repute

The stats are usually pretty balanced untill the game actually starts. Polatics, Race ratios and many many other things all unbalance them. It cant be helped.

Just do the best you can with whats available. If thats XP whoring then so be it
Unread 1 Mar 2006, 12:53   #11
Kargool
Up The Hatters!

Kargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet society

Wow, this is something I havent seen before, someone complaining about how crap XP is
Unread 1 Mar 2006, 12:54   #12
Nadar
I see you!

Nadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriend

Wow, this is something I haven't seen before, one of the 10 people regulary whining about XP is back!
Unread 1 Mar 2006, 12:56   #13
Cannon_Fodder

Cannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjor
the stats are so pro attacking its not fun anymore
So many things I have against what you said.

1) You are one of the handful of players expected to win the round, due to being in a big alliance, and usually getting all the def and good targets (like figar, elviz, kezari etc.) Is it now that you aren't getting deffed every wave, and thus losing roids so that you personally don't like the round, because people are reacting to the game and beating you with xp?

2) Would you rather have the old PA where it was just a war of attrition and it was easy for you to get def?

3) Do you think new players would enjoy that game?

4) Granted PA needs to tell new players more about the advantages of xp, hitting people bigger than you, losing roids isnt everything. But I think you'll find that landing successful attacks keeps them interested, rather than losing roids and never getting them back.
Unread 1 Mar 2006, 12:58   #14
Squishy
Lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kargool
Wow, this is something I havent seen before, someone complaining about how crap XP is
Just incase you dont notice hes not cmplaining about XP which has been the same now for 5? rounds. Hes saying the STATS are ruining it

Read, comprehend, post
Unread 1 Mar 2006, 13:21   #15
Sjor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniborp
So many things I have against what you said.

1) You are one of the handful of players expected to win the round, due to being in a big alliance, and usually getting all the def and good targets (like figar, elviz, kezari etc.) Is it now that you aren't getting deffed every wave, and thus losing roids so that you personally don't like the round, because people are reacting to the game and beating you with xp?

2) Would you rather have the old PA where it was just a war of attrition and it was easy for you to get def?

3) Do you think new players would enjoy that game?

4) Granted PA needs to tell new players more about the advantages of xp, hitting people bigger than you, losing roids isnt everything. But I think you'll find that landing successful attacks keeps them interested, rather than losing roids and never getting them back.
i never expected to win a round. actually i could have won r13 but it was me that got Keiz into angels and he won the round. it was a lot of luck

about the def check my planet im a defplanet for the ally
also i said im a disorter thing so not many attack me anyway, and if they do im happy to spend my ress to steal thier fleets.

paX-paXII was all about activity. if u came through u got roids, if there was def u had to pull in 80 % of cases.

swapping roids all the time is bad for new players. its like i send def all the time but dont get def for myself. New players going for XP are fine but only 2 allinaces go purely for XP. Rest still sticks to value and roids.

check how many top gals get roided a nigtht by at least 6 waves. well if u want this game to be all about attacking go on.
What i can see is that most ppl (also non Angels) dislike it

To Squishy
i can roid most ppl with 4 different fleets and thats even without faking.
so i am exp enough to take advantage of it

last round i had a fleet of over 70k Fr also hardly stoppable by any1 at all
i just miss the ppl having fun playing and every1 complaining

and about the XP agasint roids. at one tick i was rank 8 in roids, rank10 in value and rank 280 in score
its fun when a lot of ppl go for XP only its valid if only few ppl come to the idea see r10 when GErbie gained max Xp for stealing ress and was by far #1 then it gets changed.

I just see it as a bad thing for pa veterans and guess less and less will stay playing
but ofc this is only my opinion

Unread 1 Mar 2006, 13:40   #16
Sjor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squishy
Complaining about the stats wont help anything. They wont be changed halfway through the round. At the end of the round we might all look back and say wow those stats really sucked. Or as i think is more likly we will look back and realise they made for a very fluid top100 with XP and value players bpth having a good chance of doing well
i know that they wont
but what use allainces have when most ship are eta -1 anyway
there are a lot of supportplanets building supportallainces making it also unclear to see who is leading
best would be only gal and ally can def some1

just putting my 2 cent in it ^

Unread 1 Mar 2006, 13:48   #17
Chika
Black Power MotherF*ckas!

Chika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to behold

I happen to think that the stats are ace. No one race is dominating. (or shouldn't be, but due to half-ass players etc) XP does change the mechanics of the game, but I think its for the better. Better as in, the people who don't feel like playing full time, can now play the game. " Yeah sure, roid hard all you want to. Get as many roids as you can, this weekend when I feel like it, I am going to suicide my DE on you and make top 10."
Unread 1 Mar 2006, 14:01   #18
Banned
Banned

Banned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so little

Quote:
best would be only gal and ally can def some1
I agree (conditionally*) with this.

* I think galaxies should be ditched in favor of an improved cluster structure.
Banned is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Mar 2006, 14:28   #19
x-dANGEr
Unknown Destiny
Takion Champion

x-dANGEr is infamous around these parts

I think that the stats do prompt an easy of way of XP-ing. I mean, I'm a Ter, I only build BS, and I will suicide my attack on anyone exactly 2x my value, and I will surely land, no matter what he does. This is how this round is going from what I read, as I'm not playing it, no.

It's just that people who are spending too much effort in this (Playing Value and Roids along with XP) aren't gaining as much as people who get to sleep 12 hours. And I don't think the strategic manouvers with a XP-ing community can in anyway even come close to match those in a normal round with 'few' XP-ers. I only need to look at the WP/eX war at R 13, that was one awesome example.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squishy
Every round their is going to be flaw in the stats. What experianced and skilled players should be doing is adapting to the current situation and playing their round based on that. Whining half way through a round that the stats suck because people are playing another way from you and doing it well is futile.
Agreed.
x-dANGEr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Mar 2006, 17:28   #20
Wishmaster
LDK

Wishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

I agree with Sjor.

Quote:
Originally posted by Newt
I would give me right testicle to be in a gal with you wishmaster!!! wonder if thatd be enough to bribe spinner with hmmmm
<JC`> i sent him a msg saying Wishmaster 0wns, so he recalled
Wishmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Mar 2006, 19:43   #21
Raging.Retard
Street Tramp

Raging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant future

Quote:
roids dont matter

losing roids = no fun
If they don't matter, then why is losing them no fun?
Unread 1 Mar 2006, 19:51   #22
Benneh
Non directed and witty

Benneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet societyBenneh is a pillar of this Internet society

figar does def?

pffffft
Benneh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Mar 2006, 21:12   #23
Wishmaster
LDK

Wishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raging.Retard
If they don't matter, then why is losing them no fun?
he meant that atm it doesnt matter - but he is used to playing the good old pa where it mattered. So for him it sucks.

I feel the same way

Quote:
I would give me right testicle to be in a gal with you wishmaster!!! wonder if thatd be enough to bribe spinner with hmmmm
Unread 1 Mar 2006, 21:32   #24
Ska
Waging a war on errorism

Ska has a reputation beyond reputeSka has a reputation beyond reputeSka has a reputation beyond reputeSka has a reputation beyond reputeSka has a reputation beyond reputeSka has a reputation beyond reputeSka has a reputation beyond reputeSka has a reputation beyond reputeSka has a reputation beyond reputeSka has a reputation beyond reputeSka has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishmaster
he meant that atm it doesnt matter - but he is used to playing the good old pa where it mattered. So for him it sucks.

I feel the same way
Unread 1 Mar 2006, 23:25   #25
lokken
BlueTuba

lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

The only problem with the stats this round is that terran pods have a bit too much armor, hence it's very difficult to build enough ships to defend against them, especially if you are xan.
Unread 1 Mar 2006, 23:26   #26
Wishmaster
LDK

Quote:
Originally Posted by idimmu
im having an awesome round

thus, it's rocking
I m having a shit round - thus, it sucks?

nah..its ok - still like to steal some ships - though I m getting annoyed at being waved by terran each night

Quote:
Unread 1 Mar 2006, 23:48   #27
Gio2k
Bolivian Alpaca

Gio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond repute

I think the game has become much too newbie friendly. Considering that someone with half your value can very easily land on you with his attack fleet, almost any newbie/inactive can land on an experienced/active player. Combine this with prelaunch, and you get nights with 6-7 waves from smaller planets which will land on you 70% of the time. Either make it easier to defend, or get rid of prelaunching. Either that, or we will soon have a game full of distorter whores :P
Unread 2 Mar 2006, 10:56   #28
Sjor

funny talk i had with some of the new guys in my gal

[10:47] <Sjor> u need to build anti all
[10:47] <plat> why?
[10:48] <Sjor> f u have no anti fi
[10:48] <Sjor> ppl will attack u with fi
[10:48] <Sjor> and u lose rodis /ship
[10:48] <plat> if you re going to attack me i ll send my fleet away no matter what kind of ships you re sending *g*
[10:49] <Sjor> lol
[10:49] <plat> my strategy is to roid more than i am roided...
[10:49] <Sjor> ok if i Quote u on ad?
[10:49] <Sjor> pd
[10:49] <plat> sure
[10:49] <Sjor> well it doesent bring u anywhere
[10:49] <Sjor> but u are right its more fun atm

up to now i have seen PA as a bildupgame like all the strategy games we love to play on PC. Build up an army, grow, get better, get bigger, get powerfull, get so much stronger that ppl are scared to even scan u.

now its more about luck, asif its big skill in a universe where def is rare to pick a big planet, attack him and u will land on him with at least 2 other attackers having the same idea.
really hope PAN is much different else i dont see many reasons to keep hearing complainings of so many friends

so XP means noobing it up and getting rewardet for it

Unread 2 Mar 2006, 11:20   #29
Nadar
I see you!

Nadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriend

Sjor, the guy you talked with seemed like a noob. You sure he even knew what XP was at the time?

And how can you say it won't bring him anyway? If he's small it is THE way to bring him anywhere.
Unread 2 Mar 2006, 11:27   #30
Nadar
I see you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gio2k
Either make it easier to defend, or get rid of prelaunching.
I hate prelaunches as the plague. It makes people lazy in an activity-based game. I don't have numbers on how many asked for prelaunches in NoS attacks since it came. Prelaunches is a big sh!t in the arse for alliances, but for soloplayers I think it's fine as they don't risk ruining everyone elses attacks.

(I use prelaunch myself as I'm attacking solo).

What about: Remove the prelaunch ability for people in alliances (could be restricted to top5/10 and let peoples without an alliance or in alliances outside top5/10 use prelaunches).

Prelaunch is a bug. What do we do about bugs? Exterminate it.
Unread 2 Mar 2006, 11:49   #31
Sjor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadar
Sjor, the guy you talked with seemed like a noob. You sure he even knew what XP was at the time?

And how can you say it won't bring him anyway? If he's small it is THE way to bring him anywhere.

true
if i have inc i dont even check what is comming i just run
well in xp based game incs are great
they keep ur value down
so u can hit even smaller noobs and gain more xp

and comapred how much effort u put in an attack if u care about value and roids to attacking for xp only im not sure who more exp has.

Unread 2 Mar 2006, 12:31   #32
x-dANGEr
Unknown Destiny
Takion Champion

x-dANGEr is infamous around these parts

Remove Pre-lunch? I don't think pre-lunch is any problem at all, so don't try blaming it eh.. (Not that I'll use it if I play, I usuall woke 4 AM in my normal day anyway.. <--- Diff Time Zone )..
x-dANGEr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Mar 2006, 12:36   #33
bwtmc
thinking, that's all.

Quote:
funny talk i had with some of the new guys in my gal

[10:47] <Sjor> u need to build anti all
[10:47] <plat> why?
[10:48] <Sjor> f u have no anti fi
[10:48] <Sjor> ppl will attack u with fi
[10:48] <Sjor> and u lose rodis /ship
[10:48] <plat> if you re going to attack me i ll send my fleet away no matter what kind of ships you re sending *g*
[10:49] <Sjor> lol
[10:49] <plat> my strategy is to roid more than i am roided...
[10:49] <Sjor> ok if i Quote u on ad?
[10:49] <Sjor> pd
[10:49] <plat> sure
[10:49] <Sjor> well it doesent bring u anywhere
[10:49] <Sjor> but u are right its more fun atm

up to now i have seen PA as a bildupgame like all the strategy games we love to play on PC. Build up an army, grow, get better, get bigger, get powerfull, get so much stronger that ppl are scared to even scan u.

now its more about luck, asif its big skill in a universe where def is rare to pick a big planet, attack him and u will land on him with at least 2 other attackers having the same idea.
really hope PAN is much different else i dont see many reasons to keep hearing complainings of so many friends

so XP means noobing it up and getting rewardet for it
Wtf, since when did decent non-zik/xans attempt to build considerable anti-all. Unless you're untouchable that's not going to work. Alliances require players to specialise if they're to cover big incomings. Your noob galmate speaks sense. How the hell else can you effectively manage fleets. Listen to him!

Unread 2 Mar 2006, 13:41   #34
Cannon_Fodder

Cannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Sjor = teh noob
Unread 2 Mar 2006, 13:47   #35
ComradeRob
wasted

ComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gio2k
I think the game has become much too newbie friendly. Considering that someone with half your value can very easily land on you with his attack fleet, almost any newbie/inactive can land on an experienced/active player. Combine this with prelaunch, and you get nights with 6-7 waves from smaller planets which will land on you 70% of the time. Either make it easier to defend, or get rid of prelaunching. Either that, or we will soon have a game full of distorter whores :P
This is a profoundly good thing. It makes the rounds stay fun for longer. If the best players had a bigger advantage, they would race away into the lead with ease, and nobody else would have a chance.

I don't think it's any coincidence that many of those doing the complaining are past top 10 players who don't like the fact that "lesser" players are getting more of a chance.
“They were totally confused,” said the birdman, whose flying suit gives him a passing resemblance to Buzz Lightyear in Toy Story. “The authorities said that I was an unregistered aircraft and to fly, you need a licence. I told them, ‘No. To fly, you need wings’.”
ComradeRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Mar 2006, 14:13   #36
Sjor

Quote:
Originally Posted by idimmu
Have you even looked at the stats once this round? You are the only 'noob' here, completly ignoring the stats and equations.

It's one thing to hope that PAN is different and say that the current system sucks, which is fair enough, it's opinion. Its another thing to come up with a completly retarded stratagy in the face of the obvious and totally 'noob it up', which is essentialy what you seem to be encouraging..
that im a noob is also said in my siggy
what i can see is that ppl with half my value can roids me without problems
allainces expirience a lot of incs

2 or 3 rounds ago best players were already at 5k roids at this tick. its almsot impossible to keep the roids in this game. thats all i find bad. If you would keep the roids Xp wouldnt matter so much. People would actually grow and not only grow by xp

Unread 2 Mar 2006, 14:25   #37
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
I hate prelaunches as the plague. It makes people lazy in an activity-based game. I don't have numbers on how many asked for prelaunches in NoS attacks since it came. Prelaunches is a big sh!t in the arse for alliances, but for soloplayers I think it's fine as they don't risk ruining everyone elses attacks.

(I use prelaunch myself as I'm attacking solo).

What about: Remove the prelaunch ability for people in alliances (could be restricted to top5/10 and let peoples without an alliance or in alliances outside top5/10 use prelaunches).

Prelaunch is a bug. What do we do about bugs? Exterminate it.
You're a fool.

These days people aren't prepared to dedicate the old level of activity of pre-PaX Planetarion to the game, we're not all teenagers anymore. We have real lives to be getting on with.

Pre-launch saved Planetarion by making it possible for a lot more people to play at a high level. It made skill more important, more so than activity.

For previous discussion of pre-launch, read these threads.
http://pirate.planetarion.com/showthread.php?t=185988
http://pirate.planetarion.com/showthread.php?t=189163

I hope you feel enlightened.
Unread 2 Mar 2006, 14:37   #38
Nadar
I see you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by furball
You're a fool.
Good to see we got at least óne thing in common.
Quote:
These days people aren't prepared to dedicate the old level of activity of pre-PaX Planetarion to the game, we're not all teenagers anymore. We have real lives to be getting on with.

Pre-launch saved Planetarion by making it possible for a lot more people to play at a high level. It made skill more important, more so than activity.

For previous discussion of pre-launch, read these threads.
http://pirate.planetarion.com/showthread.php?t=185988
http://pirate.planetarion.com/showthread.php?t=189163

I hope you feel enlightened.
We had real lifes in r1, r2, r3, r4, r5, r6, r7, r8, r9, r9.5, r10, r10.5, r11, r12, r13, r14 and r15 aswell. That I got out of bed at 4:00 am to launch never affected more than 5 minutes of sleep.

I don't wanna argue wether people can't sit around their computer all day or not. The only thing I got against prelaunch is that people who's using prelaunch in alliance-attacks might screw over the others as the attack might be noticed several hours before LT, thus giving the galaxy's alliances time to prepare.
Unread 2 Mar 2006, 14:44   #39
furball

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Then it's up to the alliances in question whether they allow pre-launch or not.

It's very easy to only release co-ords 5 minutes before launch, if you choose to do so. As far as I know, alliances such as 1up don't use pre-launch. It works for them.

And read those threads, Nadar.
Unread 2 Mar 2006, 14:55   #40
Nadar
I see you!

Quote:
Then it's up to the alliances in question whether they allow pre-launch or not.

It's very easy to only release co-ords 5 minutes before launch, if you choose to do so. As far as I know, alliances such as 1up don't use pre-launch. It works for them.
I know, but we had a huge problem with people getting mad at us who set up the attacks because we didn't allow prelaunch. So yeah, we tried disallowing prelaunch at times. Depends how committed each player is.
Quote:
And read those threads, Nadar.
What threads?
Unread 2 Mar 2006, 15:04   #41
Illmaticks
you know you want me

Illmaticks has a spectacular aura aboutIllmaticks has a spectacular aura about

Hmm, this is an overall comment to everything that's been said, - mainly Sjor's comments.

About shipsstats/xp-whoring. First of all, most of the people i'm playing with, have enjoyed this round moreso than other rounds, due to the more selfreliant structure of xp-whoring. You no longer have whine in defchannels about loosing roids all the time (of course, the occational whine is still seen). You no longer freeze and quit the game, if you loose large amounts of ships. You simply rebuild, xp-whore, and stay 'tuned' for more action, so to speak.

To be honest, i think xp-whoring has improved the overall quality of the game, as it adds more versatility to the game. I think Squishy mentioned it too, but in a 1-2 weeks time, we'll see some big changes in the top10 lists, with valueplayers predominantly staying up there.

And fact is and still stands- that if you want to keep your roids, you need defence, or an impenetrable fleet. Thats something xp-whoring can't and wont provide you (or at least, if, then only contemporarily) - thats something only provided in the 'serious' alliances. Although I've landed more fleets than any other round (due to constant 3-fleeting!), - this doesn't necessarily mean I haven't been deffed, or that deffing me isn't possible. Its just that the game has become more dependent on 'strategic' fleets, - instead of just launching a massive fleet of everything, you now fake and pick your fleets with care. Everything is still defendable though, and to defend, you need value. If the major alliances (high value players - anti xp-whores etc) have a lot of highvalue players, they'll easily be able to defend xp-whores. Even fake xp-whores, as you can only actually fake two kinds of ships, e.g. co/fr for xan, de/bs for ter, etc. (of course zik's blow that theory to bits)

My point is that xp-whoring and the fact that many have adapted to this strategy has only added more aspects to the game - it hasn't ruined anything. It simply means that serious alliances need to adapt to this strategy as well, in order to win - either by means of having 'select xp bg's', or by focusing on excessive defence to stop the incomings.

The more value - the better def - the bigger the chance of keeping your roids, etc. Even if this means you have to block (team up) against incoming with other alliances - or even re-focusing on incluster defence.

Lots of possibilities. Like I said, its a question of adapting to changes.

Alliances: [Conc] [NRK] [ETY] [Guild] [Reunion] [HR] [Insomnia] [Ascendancy] & others...
Illmaticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Mar 2006, 15:12   #42
Selina
Zero posts FTW

Selina is an unknown quantity at this point

i hate xp and xp whores, it's taken away the need for alliances which is the foundation this game was built on. im very disapointed since my return at r9.5
Selina is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Mar 2006, 15:16   #43
Illmaticks
you know you want me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selina
i hate xp and xp whores, it's taken away the need for alliances which is the foundation this game was built on. im very disapointed since my return at r9.5
Not at all. Not even close. Not even a little.

(and whining surely won't get you anyway)

Like I said, it's merely added more versatility to the game. Giving people a new option, and a 'better' chance to win the game. Now it's just not (not entirely anyway) a game of value anymore, but a game of score.

But really, if you can keep your roids (and even so more, if you are zik, just look at top ranked zik, ahem), you can easily outplay, outvalue, outroid and outrank the xp whores. Maybe you just don't know how to play this game

Alliances: [Conc] [NRK] [ETY] [Guild] [Reunion] [HR] [Insomnia] [Ascendancy] & others...
Unread 2 Mar 2006, 15:22   #44
bwtmc
thinking, that's all.

Quote:
The game wasn't built on a foundation of alliances. Who told you that? Originally we didn't even get to see their total scores/ranks etc. The game was built up from a planet/galaxy structure.
Unread 2 Mar 2006, 15:23   #45
furball

Quote:
I know, but we had a huge problem with people getting mad at us who set up the attacks because we didn't allow prelaunch. So yeah, we tried disallowing prelaunch at times. Depends how committed each player is.
That's up to the individual alliance though. If your members didn't trust HC/officers to make the right decisions then that wasn't PA's problem.

Quote:
What threads?
Quote:
Quote:
The foundation that the game was built on was DYING, Jolt's money was keeping it on life-support. It would have been time to turn off the ventilator without the changes to keep people playing the game.

You seem to be suggesting that this is a 'problem' ever since the beginning of Round 10, although bad English construction isn't helping me understand your last sentence. XP-whoring has been more of a factor this round due to Terran being a good race to XP-whore with and it being a free round (more people playing semi-active and thus XP-whoring). A blanket statement helps no-one.
Unread 2 Mar 2006, 15:27   #46
Illmaticks
you know you want me

Quote:
The game wasn't built on a foundation of alliances. Who told you that? Originally we didn't even get to see their total scores/ranks etc. The game was built up from a planet/galaxy structure.
Exactly. There was a time, when most planets where highly dependent on galaxies, and didn't actually fight for 'their' alliances, but for their galaxies. (mainly, anyway) Back then , you'd have entire galaxies consisting of one/two alliances (or, at least blocks)

Priorities have changed though.

Unread 2 Mar 2006, 15:39   #47
Sjor

Quote:

maybe it didnt started with allaicnes but it started with gals, and clusters/paras, making friends

next round (if there would be one) 90 % of ppl would go for XP
for XP u dont need an ally
u done need a lot of friends.
Its nuff to have 3-4 ppl u can attack with to take the "big guys" down
so next round we can all play without ally
we cant also be caought farming some1 as we aint allied.
no DC are needed
we just needa lot of recruiters that can get the best score planets together.

as already said pa used to be a buildupgame. now the top alliances that have more skill are just a bit better than the total noob alliances.

Illmaticks you are right, but isnt it that when u started this round you didnt have big expetations. u wanted to have fun, poke the big planets a bit, see if gal is good and be more active than. now all this what i dislike give u a good chance of making a lot out of it. and ofc beeing in a group that wants to xp only and so do u is more fun then trying to get def

and furbal
you said that we are to old and are not so active as usual
so u are fine that the game gives some1 that sits 24/7 in front of his planet same chance as some1 that loses his entire fleet severtal times and puts arround 4 min effort a day into the game

but well maybe im just to old for this game.

Friendship is our advantage

Unread 2 Mar 2006, 16:12   #48
Gio2k
Bolivian Alpaca

Gio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Oh come on. What's the skill in building a pure attack fleet which will get through on anyone double your value unless you have inmense overkill defence.
I honestly want to cry everytime someone comes in here claiming this is a game of skill. People used to bust their asses defending and attacking and be proud of their alliances being top notch. Now we keep seeing xp whores who only have attack fleets and send 0 defence. And those oldies who were used to team play get frustrated since they defend and get nothing in return.
Unread 2 Mar 2006, 16:19   #49
furball

I have already said that there's a problem with Terrans being able to XP-whore easily this round. Already said it.

That doesn't change pre-launch though, does it?
Unread 2 Mar 2006, 16:29   #50
qebab
The Original Carebear

qebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

I agree with Sjor. The way the game is now, I'd been better off playing without an alliance, and that, is in fact disturbing. It is not so much the xp as the shipstats though. It's just way too hard to effectivily defend.

Friendship > *

Oh crap, I might be back. I should take my own advice.
qebab is offline   Reply With Quote