User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 14 Apr 2003, 15:25   #301
hAl
ensign forever

hAl is infamous around these partshAl is infamous around these partshAl is infamous around these partshAl is infamous around these partshAl is infamous around these partshAl is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Originally posted by Amberielle
pleasing the masses is the idea to start of with yes, but have they honestly thought this though ?

the answer is no

in the end they will find you still have powerblocks and alliances will still rule nad then those who play the game for fun and dont have the backup of alliances or others will suffer

basically all the so called n00bies and allianceless peeps are going to suffer ... unorganised gals or split gals due to alliances

no one to help defend them cos there friends are now in a completely different parallel or cluster etc etc
The powerblocks have mostly fallen apart in some way or another already. If they made a quick reset and restart there would not likely be significantpowerblocks left and the would not be likely to work together as nar and weet did this round.

There aren't many allianceless people or n00bies left in the game in r9 and of the few that are present the amount not playing anymore because of the way the rounds has gone is staggering. Even a 9.5 reset will certainly not get all of them back. 80% or more of PA r9 players is in alliances though. Currently a lot of them have hardly had a single day of decent play in this round due to the politics played by some alliances.

Every day more and more people leave the game and and stop playing. That can't be good for the game. Rewarding the alliances who were so politically irresponsible with a few weeks to go to war seems hardly good considering it will only lead to more people leaving.
Unread 14 Apr 2003, 15:33   #302
n4m3l355
Mista JZ

n4m3l355 can only hope to improve
so lemme get this right
every time a rounds seems "locked" we are going to do something utterly different?
correct me if i'm wrong but pretty much every round has his end weeks if not months before the actual end of the game. so you want to correct that everytime?
and suppose you do all random. you realize that there are far more weet/nars then vomms so even while nap etc is broken its a high change that vomms will be even weaker tnx to that act?

if you really want to be sure a rounds is killed before the last tick then make this idiotic idea happen then we can be sit all down relaxed & give a **** about what actually happens
Unread 14 Apr 2003, 15:36   #303
Selina

if the round does reset to a r9.5 then i'd say it wouldn't bother me. This is because I'm a big enough planet not to get bashed, but not big enough to be ranked.. a nice middle-sized one altho i must point out that I am pwning all my friends in #killingsmurfs

so if it resets or not I guess that could be fun, and despite VOM and NAR WEET's poor political decisions I think we could have a fun round either way... seems tho that everyone (nearly everyone) wants a reset.. so maybe thats the way to go...

btw..

GO MADCOWS
GO OUZO
GO KILLINGSMURFS

I love y'all
xx

Selly
Unread 14 Apr 2003, 15:37   #304
thomas4
CHICKEN DIPPHAAAAZ

thomas4 is an unknown quantity at this point
Make the Poll ingame, so it cant be messed with......
R4: [30:21:11] n00b
R5: [31:24:10] TFD
R6: [04:02:06] Xylem
R7: [27:20:11] Lithyn
R8: [29:02:05] Lithyn \ Elysium
R9: [05:05:09] WolfPack \ Sapientia (while it lasted...)
R9.5: [XX:XX:XX] Enjoying random inactivity...

Ex-Lithyn [\] †
thomas4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Apr 2003, 16:01   #305
Doon

Quote:
Originally posted by thomas4
Would make it impossible for people that don't play this round to vote. People that might come back if next round is random.
Unread 14 Apr 2003, 16:03   #306
Scuba

May be I'm the naive one..but these guys can stay incontact in many ways..yeah you'll make it hard but far from impossible..they could very well end up recruiting large proportions of the Gals they land in..then as they band together again..and they will, because the game format cannot prevent it....we suddenly find their numbers have doubled. No doubt they are already making contingency plans as we speak..they will not take this easily ..they will go out of their way to prove you all wrong..and maintain their "power". Just wish I had the answer
Unread 14 Apr 2003, 16:06   #307
Kloopy
-Back Again-

Kloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud ofKloopy has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally posted by thomas4
I'm afraid that can't happen right now. Hence why we're taking everything else into account, peoples views on this thread, other threads and on IRC.

Kloopy
Kloopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Apr 2003, 16:07   #308
Damon
TringTring

Damon is an unknown quantity at this point
A big no
Let WE and ET fight it out now

Rnd 3 : 39:23:13 CpV
Rnd 4 : ?:?:? Bluetuba
Rnd 5 : 30:25 VtS
Rnd 6 : 28:9:? VtS
Rnd 7 : 17:6:3 VtS
Rnd 8 : 31:2 Adelante / Fury
Rnd 9 : ?:? Eclipse
Rnd 10 : ?
Damon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Apr 2003, 16:22   #309
Starbucks
It was a Stupid Dream

Starbucks is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by cyphie
YEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
Starbucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Apr 2003, 17:06   #310
Stryker
The Holder of the Hat

Stryker is infamous around these partsStryker is infamous around these parts
Do it.
Unread 14 Apr 2003, 17:51   #311
delenn

r9.5

NO TO R9.5
I didnt play round 8 as it was random galaxies
i am playing round 9 in a private gal with my friends if i had wanted to play random then i wouldnt have applied to be in this gal.
so in my opinion it would be wrong to make us all go random my gal is queit happy playing with who we are even if we are getting a bashing.

PA is about the community as much as it is about the game .

so we play to keep intouch with friends and to help eachother out and on irc it is as if we are all in the same family.

Going against your own contract that was layed out before round 9 and forcing us all to go random is wrong as we will end up in a galaxy full of inactive lamers - spies - and multies using our galstats as an early advantage when news scans are not available - i am now glad i refrained from purchacing a credit for round 10 as i will not be playing under those circumstances.

we play to be with our friends - break up the friends and you will start to loose the income from the signup payments as they will just move on as a group to a rival game that has the facilities to accomodate the needs of friends that prefere to play together as a team.

why not make the game with a choice of say for eg - 4 colours - each colour can only defend a gal with the same color and make it impossible to to attack a galaxy under the same colour - this way the playing ground is leveled out equaly - you can still keep private galaxies but the person that creates the gal has to state what colour they intend to play in .

with a little thought there must be a better solution to the stagnation than just END early and force everyone to be split up again.
Unread 14 Apr 2003, 17:59   #312
Frizz

Frizz is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Empress
Fs.. I didnt freaking pay to play random for half a round. if i decide i dont want to play random as i hate it do i get half a refund back?

rd 8 sucked ass and i refuse to repeat it. i chose to play with the team i have now. in fact the only reason i'm still playing is cause a friend i respect alot asked me too. but if i'm not going to be playing with him and the others then fk this. this is the most expensive round yet and yer changing the gals mid way through?

sigh. i may sound like i'm complaining but tbh after playing since rd 2 the only joy this game brings me is the playing with my crew. and now yer screwin with that. so it looks like i'll be hitting delete once random strikes.

thanks guys...

~*Empress*~
[04:53] <@saiyan> ffs just int some roids now u might be big enuff next tick
[04:53] <@Inubis> i know hold on you obsesive control freak i am not your bitch

<@VermiciousKnid> great, inubis thinks hes a god again

[02:49] <+Granville> im cliff richard, im boring im dull everyone hates me but i aint ever going away so get used to me

Welcome, Frizz. You last visited: 1 Jan 1970 at 00:00
Frizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Apr 2003, 18:06   #313
Holylight
The Priest

Holylight is an unknown quantity at this point
This is the only chance to save the game we love ...

I came back after 2 rounds of abcense only to find the same stupid things that ruined my fun before ...
Random players (like me as I wouldn't be biased to go with an alliance atm no matter the gain) stand no chance at all. New players the same ...

I am sicking tired of ppl talking about stagnation and do nothing about it!! Still we have a 26.3% of players disagreeing with a solution ANY solution ffs!!!
And I know that the very same ppl, the 'pro' the 'leet' the ones with no real life the 'celebs' are 'talking' -what a fking irony- about stagnation, about saving PA!!

I've talked to many 'vets' the last days and they are all like minded. We've all agreed that something must be done and fast.

Creators and players must face their responsibilities ... and this time there are no excuses! None damnit!!! Can't you get it?

Do something, act now and not some time later, or another round or something ... or noone will left to play another round.
Talking for myself here, and only for myself -although I know that many ppl are thinking exactly the same- I am gonna quit the game. And this time it will be for good ...

Thank you

Holy

p.s. I haven't read the replies, so don't accuse me about anything etc etc I am just stating my opinion and that's all.

The Priest is back!

#tc #cell
Holylight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Apr 2003, 18:29   #314
Gecko

I have just voted against the restart of this game I took a look at the totals that are reflected. This vote only verifies power blocks. Now think about this IF the power blocks run this game as they do, they can rule by sheer numbers for the vote they want. This is not a fair voting method. If that be the case one would have to remove the numbers of power blocks and or reduce their voting power. AGAIN they control this game. Why can you see this. If this is a concern this has to have another solution and it should be researched more fully. then discussed... by that time the game might be over. This is just a thought.
Unread 14 Apr 2003, 19:27   #315
lordbaron

lordbaron is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Howling
Yeah good idea but instead of starting an entirely new round.. why not set all scores and roid levels the same after shuffle. and dispense with the 3 week res/const phase of the game. It takes too bloody long to start the round.

Give us all 21 roids and leave us with the res/consts done.

cheers

Like the idea of this one, interesting to see what ships people r going to start building first
lordbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Apr 2003, 19:36   #316
Twiglet
It is Pie.

Twiglet is an unknown quantity at this point
I've said it before an i'll say it again.
1) If ure gonna have a reset, then reset the game, no just what people want to be resetted.
2) If we keep all con/res the same, people will have advantages from the start
3) The first few weeks is the most exciting part of the game, its the part that shapes the round to come. All these ppl saying "I can't be arsed to wait 3 weeks for roid scans" I mean ffs you do it every other round why is this one any exception.

If you want a reset just play what you are given and stop whinging that the reset won't work the way you want it.
Thats my rant for the evening, goodnight!
Twiglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Apr 2003, 19:57   #317
anomnorway
SWaRM HC

anomnorway is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Twiglet
All these ppl saying "I can't be arsed to wait 3 weeks for roid scans" I mean ffs you do it every other round why is this one any exception.
The exception is that we have finally gotten f.ex. mil scans ..... and now have to start over? Of course some peeps are not happy about that! Find it weird?

:eek: Could you, please, define "work hard"?
Unread 14 Apr 2003, 20:11   #318
lordbaron

lordbaron is an unknown quantity at this point
I've said it before an i'll say it again.
1) If ure gonna have a reset, then reset the game, no just what people want to be resetted.
2) If we keep all con/res the same, people will have advantages from the start
3) The first few weeks is the most exciting part of the game, its the part that shapes the round to come. All these ppl saying "I can't be arsed to wait 3 weeks for roid scans" I mean ffs you do it every other round why is this one any exception.

----

1) This is not a new round this in a in round restart
2) All ppl will have the same advantage as all con/res which have been completed
3) I don't care if we start with 1 or 50 roids as long as everyone gets the same.

As far as I know this has never been tried, could be fun. Will PPL bother building the lower class ships or the higher ones who knows. Number of ships or number of guns But if will give a new style of starting the game.

Thumbs up from me !
lordbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Apr 2003, 20:15   #319
Brachar

Brachar is an unknown quantity at this point
A reset would b nice. Random is fun 2
Brachar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Apr 2003, 20:45   #320
Ska
Waging a war on errorism

Ska has a reputation beyond reputeSka has a reputation beyond reputeSka has a reputation beyond reputeSka has a reputation beyond reputeSka has a reputation beyond reputeSka has a reputation beyond reputeSka has a reputation beyond reputeSka has a reputation beyond reputeSka has a reputation beyond reputeSka has a reputation beyond reputeSka has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by Soron
well..... i feel now that everytime that someone would have a bad round, we will reset... (((

sometimes you win, sometimes you loose
Have you actually played any other rounds? Has there been a round this boring ever before? In my other inactive round (r4) I was at least able to have a little fun.

And for **** sake, why does everyone spell "lose" wrong?

reset --->
Unread 14 Apr 2003, 22:57   #321
Minister Rik

I have to agree, a restart sounds a good solution to the current problem.
I worked hard to grow as a planet, and then suddenly my gal was getting attacked at least 3 times a day everyday for weeks.
I had given the game up wondering whether it would be worth paying for the next round or find something else.
Lets hope it goes ahead and keeps mine and other people interest a little longer.
Unread 14 Apr 2003, 23:25   #322
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future
we should at least wait and see how the new war goes....

and btw the plan isn't to let any enw players joni as some people think, only people with accounts atm will be playing

Round 6-10 NoS member-->NoS junior HC
Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Check out toastmonster.com for crazy illustrations and art
Kal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Apr 2003, 23:42   #323
maak

maak is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs down

I would hate to see the round reset. I have only just started building Wyverns. My solution is to set a limit to the number of members in any alliance. PA would get all details of members of every alliance, then set the game so that members of one alliance cannot defend those of another alliance. I really think this would make for a much fairer game. Just my 2 cents worth

I vote NO!

Last edited by maak; 15 Apr 2003 at 00:02.
maak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Apr 2003, 00:09   #324
WebAngel
Honour & Loyalty

WebAngel is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by maak
I would hate to see the round reset. I have only just started building Wyverns. My solution is to get rid of alliances. If you stop ppl from defending outside their cluster and attacking inside their cluster it may stop these power blocks. I don't know if this will work but reseting the universe and randomising it does not seem like it will work. Just my 2 cents worth.
Well, I have nothing against you maak but too many ppl are doing the same mistake. The alliances are not a bad thing. Try to attack alone, and a set of players will defend. It can be some gal mates, some friends whatever. By extention, such a set of players is called an alliance. There is nothing wrong with it. Powerblocks are not bad either. It is now considered as an excuse for every single problem in PA while its not. A powerblock or a block is a set of alliances sharing info and sometimes def. and attacks. Is it bad? Of course not. Nowadays, poweblocks have about the same size as a r3-alliance. What can cause troubles is the relative power of those powerblocks. When one of them is too powerfull then the game is unballanced. If the game is unballanced then everything is done in 2 or 3 weeks and the game is getting boring.
The genie is out of the bottle, nothing will change that and the alliances or the powerblocks will be forever in PA.
Unread 15 Apr 2003, 00:17   #325
maak

maak is an unknown quantity at this point
Hehe, after I typed my first idea, I thought of a much better one and edited my original post. See what you think
maak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Apr 2003, 01:18   #326
Ditcher

Ditcher is an unknown quantity at this point
Just do it.
Unread 15 Apr 2003, 02:03   #327
Shev
So what?

Shev is a splendid one to beholdShev is a splendid one to beholdShev is a splendid one to beholdShev is a splendid one to beholdShev is a splendid one to beholdShev is a splendid one to beholdShev is a splendid one to behold
By even proposing this idea the creators have left themselves in a lose-lose situation.

[RaH] [Mercenaries]
Shev is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Apr 2003, 04:41   #328
Ravatar

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
Unread 15 Apr 2003, 04:51   #329
spearman
SpearMan2kdeluxe

spearman is an unknown quantity at this point
I think it would be better if we randomized the universe, but did not reset the planets. Instead we randomize so all gals gets as equal score as possible. In that way people wouldn't have to start all over again on research/construction/production etc.
Unread 15 Apr 2003, 04:53   #330
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by spearman
I think it would be better if we randomized the universe, but did not reset the planets. Instead we randomize so all gals gets as equal score as possible. In that way people wouldn't have to start all over again on research/construction/production etc.
Sorry, but that's one of the worst suggestion's I've ever heard.

The point of the minireset is to make people play again after they've been ground down.

Just shuffling won't do a damn thing, especially as there's already a war in mixed galaxies.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Apr 2003, 05:29   #331
Rha

Rha is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Re: kloopy..

Quote:
Originally posted by Scouse
So, let me get this straight. You'd rather we have stagnation for months before round 10 instead of this idea?
What Stagnation?

There was Stagnation, now there good old fashioned WAR, get to grips PA Crew, resetting = lot of lost accounts again, as it is/will be seen as PA make another HUGE blunder. We PAID for Private galaxys, Not Randoms, We Paid for the round as it is set, not as you want to reset it because some of us played hard and fought hard, if the others dont like it, well they are either N00bs, or Got the better taken from them, does that mean that the 27.5% that ive seen vote NO so far dont have a voice because the rest were to lame to play right or do thier homework etc, or joined the wrong side or slept to late!

Get a Life and leave the game to evolve at its own pace!

Rha!
(V³ngance)

Behold the Pale Horse, the man who sat on him was Death, And hell Followed with him.......
Rha is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Apr 2003, 09:05   #332
LN-ArT

LN-ArT is an unknown quantity at this point
Sorry, but the fact that PA needs these kinds of rescue operations proves the fact that PA is dying.
I don't think the only problem is the powerblocks. The problem is the community. Not many people REALLY care for the game imo. And the people who do, rule the game, the people who don't sit back and get roided. which makes the round not much fun.
This plan still has my vote. IF we don't start all over again, but with quite a lot of research and construction done.

The game didn't just stagnate... it's in coma.
LN-ArT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Apr 2003, 09:40   #333
ZaPpeh

ZaPpeh is an unknown quantity at this point
Large Alliances have killed this game off because they can.
They seemingly love the game they are killing.
I have played PA since the beta stages and remember how fun random galaxies were.
I struck up a few friendships with people that I "had to" get to know, to survive, I still to this day have contact with half a dozen of those people I met in the early rounds, all this has gone with locked galaxies and alliances that dont let you in unless you know thier leaders mums cats name in arabic.
How on earth are the makers going to get new players into a game that totally alienates them from the outset, and then once they start to get into the game they find that they cannot attack anyone for fear of having 50 billion ships launched at them from an alliance.

All I am saying is that if all you people in alliances really want this game to exist then you should do yourselves and the game a favour by forgetting NAP's and limiting yourselves to 20-30 members.
I know this would never happen, as you alliance muffins dont like to play the game the way the designers want you to, you are all far too tied up in making sure that you never get attacked and ensuring that every attack you take part in results in a win for you.
You all take the "fun" out of the game.
IE, yesterday I was attacked by a planet that was the same ish size as me, I sent him a few podders/chaff to counter attack him only to be told to send my fleet back by someone 10 times my size!
Asking me to be nice and return my fleet or be killed off.
Thats pure gh3yness, I cant even counter attack without being told by a higher authority to stand down.
Oh by the way, the guy ammassed about 50k ships in defence to kill off my few hundred crappy little fleet worth about 500k metals

Thats how pointless this game has become.

I say:
Random galaxies
Low membership alliances
No NAP's
No News Scans, bring back some good old fashion tactics
Unkillable PDS Systems, to stop newbie bashing.
(think about it, you would have to have "acceptable losses" when you attack a planet) and it would give ppl getting bashed something to construct without it getting slaughtered every frickin night
Unread 15 Apr 2003, 09:50   #334
Nitz

Nitz is a name known to allNitz is a name known to allNitz is a name known to allNitz is a name known to allNitz is a name known to allNitz is a name known to all
id like to add this is game for all.The large alliances sit there now saying no we paid for a priv round we will have wot we wanted. When the n00bs came on did they get what they wanted??? Why do we need the permission of the large alliances they are no more important thatn the lowest n00b, this is a game for all and i wish people would stop saying that it will be yes just because there are more n00bs-simpl put tye majority of the games players vote yes they want r9.5 then there should be a r9.5,just because you are in a powerful allaince doesn't give you 1.5 votes so stop throwing your weight around-just remember its the fact that you follow your HCs mindlessly that we have such a boring round. As to reply to the "war" that will happen-if the end was to end in the next couple of weeks the war would be brought forward. Any alliances planning to break free of their powerblocks to become number 1 will do it at the most tactical moment which is at the end or nearish the end of the round. So if you pull the end of the round closer the "war" will become closer 2

Just the view of a regularly bashed player who aint a n00b

Nitz
Nitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Apr 2003, 11:00   #335
Scouse
[F.E.A.R.]

Scouse is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Re: Re: kloopy..

Quote:
Originally posted by Rha
What Stagnation?
There will be some stagnation. After this WEET war I can't see any other wars, since the people who win will be so incredibly far ahead of the others.

I agreed with the idea prior to WEET breaking up. Right now I agree to keeping the round going until it gets boring again for everyone. Hopefully this war will last longer than the others.
"And when people tell me what is ok and what is not it should not be an unexpected scene seeing I extend my middle right hand digit and say: 'Eyy, would you like lemon or lime with that piece of advice, mister?'"

Funny Film Reviews :: SWOS
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Apr 2003, 12:26   #336
Remberasha

Remberasha has a little shameless behaviour in the past
I have voted against for a reason..

Ok - after my seperated post and Kloopy's response I have made my descision...

I thought long and hard on this -- and it was a tough descision to vote against this idea, as I liked the idea overall in many ways...But as we will be playing just another half-round I must vote NO`

When I signed up to play this round - I chose my race based on my strategy of play,.. and one of my prime strategy's is the effective use of my battleships late in the game. Battleships are one of my races most powerful weapons and in the long run of the game has the best chances of making my particular race (Zikonian) powerful..

As everyone knows - some races do better in the early ticks such as Xan -- and others do far better in the later part of the round..Xan are like track sprinters - hit early in the game before news-scans - whereas other races are like long distance runners - designed to become better later in the game..

Since this (r9.5) would be just another half round as well - It would make the entire game biased for certain races...

I have just completed my Battleship research and can now build a fleet that matches my over all strategy as a long distance runner.. Yes I too have basically been pounded into rubble by rawteen (narweet) but now I have a very good chance of a small comeback with my battleships and larger vessels...

But if we re-set -- then I will probably have no chance to ever build a battleship fleet ! Even if PA-Crew reduced the research/construction time down to half or even 1/3 by the time we got Battleship research done there would still be no time to actually "build-up' a fleet before round ends...

And I really didn't signup with PA (in 2 halved rounds) just to play a defensive game against xan light class ship attacks this entire game-- I would like to get my attack licks in on my enemys as well... Not just be a roid-farm for their playing pleasure at my financial expense!

So Kloopy -- as much as I would like the re-set idea, I feel due to the circumstances we would see another form of tragedy in the second half that would be just as big an issue.. so I have voted no...

Remby
(VsN)
Unread 15 Apr 2003, 12:27   #337
Imm0
-= NoS =-

Imm0 is an unknown quantity at this point
You guys ever thought about a R9.5 round with random galls and acces for everyone?

You should make a free round between R9 and R10 to get more people playing PA. I really think that would be much fun, and get more customers for planetarion also!

Greetz Imm0
Unread 15 Apr 2003, 13:07   #338
hAl
ensign forever

hAl is infamous around these partshAl is infamous around these partshAl is infamous around these partshAl is infamous around these partshAl is infamous around these partshAl is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Originally posted by WebAngel
Well, I have nothing against you maak but too many ppl are doing the same mistake. The alliances are not a bad thing. Try to attack alone, and a set of players will defend. It can be some gal mates, some friends whatever. By extention, such a set of players is called an alliance. There is nothing wrong with it. Powerblocks are not bad either. It is now considered as an excuse for every single problem in PA while its not. A powerblock or a block is a set of alliances sharing info and sometimes def. and attacks. Is it bad? Of course not. Nowadays, poweblocks have about the same size as a r3-alliance. What can cause troubles is the relative power of those powerblocks. When one of them is too powerfull then the game is unballanced. If the game is unballanced then everything is done in 2 or 3 weeks and the game is getting boring.
The genie is out of the bottle, nothing will change that and the alliances or the powerblocks will be forever in PA.
I think powerblocks are bad for PA as they try to control the game diminishing the gameplay and making all people outside powerblocks without chances to play the game itself.

Alliances in itself might not be so bad but as soon as an alliance tries and control the game itself it becomes a threat for the continuity of the game. People aren't interested in a playing game that is controlled and dominated by a group of players even before the game has started.

You seem to think that alliances and powerblocks are there to stay but actually the current alliances who rely virtually on defence alone are very easy to eliminate. It is battlegroups, who generally only attack together, that is much more difficult to remove from play. Even if you eliminate the current alliances capability to defend its members they to might try to form a battlegroup like structure to at least be able to attack together.

Basically defensive cooperations are much more easy to remove from game than offensive. So whatever path PA choses in r10 I still fear that goups based on offence groups will try and dominate the game.

Alliances and battlegroups now claim their position in PA based on galaxies they 'posses'. You could do a bit to make those claims more formally based in the game and make alliancehopping and accountswapping less interesting as well.

By creating random galaxies and making each member give their own nicks and the name of the group they want to be identified with at signup we can more objectivly see how good players and alliances/battlegroups do in the end of a round. Then just remove the ability for gals to tag or even change their name from halfway into the round. Then publish the info from signups at the end of the round and forget all the accountswappers and alliancehoppers claiming their part of a victory. Also quite anoying if people have chosen at signup to identify with their battlegroup in stead of their alliance or vice versa.

hAl
Unread 15 Apr 2003, 14:41   #339
wakey
Hamster

wakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Quote:
Originally posted by ZaPpeh
Large Alliances have killed this game off because they can.
They seemingly love the game they are killing.
I have played PA since the beta stages and remember how fun random galaxies were.
I struck up a few friendships with people that I "had to" get to know, to survive, I still to this day have contact with half a dozen of those people I met in the early rounds, all this has gone with locked galaxies and alliances that dont let you in unless you know thier leaders mums cats name in arabic.
How on earth are the makers going to get new players into a game that totally alienates them from the outset, and then once they start to get into the game they find that they cannot attack anyone for fear of having 50 billion ships launched at them from an alliance.

All I am saying is that if all you people in alliances really want this game to exist then you should do yourselves and the game a favour by forgetting NAP's and limiting yourselves to 20-30 members.
I know this would never happen, as you alliance muffins dont like to play the game the way the designers want you to, you are all far too tied up in making sure that you never get attacked and ensuring that every attack you take part in results in a win for you.
You all take the "fun" out of the game.
IE, yesterday I was attacked by a planet that was the same ish size as me, I sent him a few podders/chaff to counter attack him only to be told to send my fleet back by someone 10 times my size!
Asking me to be nice and return my fleet or be killed off.
Thats pure gh3yness, I cant even counter attack without being told by a higher authority to stand down.
Oh by the way, the guy ammassed about 50k ships in defence to kill off my few hundred crappy little fleet worth about 500k metals

Thats how pointless this game has become.

I say:
Random galaxies
Low membership alliances
No NAP's
No News Scans, bring back some good old fashion tactics
Unkillable PDS Systems, to stop newbie bashing.
(think about it, you would have to have "acceptable losses" when you attack a planet) and it would give ppl getting bashed something to construct without it getting slaughtered every frickin night
You say youve played the game from the start and then you make a utterly riduclous claim that Alliances kill the game.

Its the alliances that make the game and without them PA would be nothing. Large alliances have always been an aspect of PA and they were defininitly larger then than they currently are.

Back in the early rounds we had 20-25 alliances all with memberships exceeding 300 members, all of whom could at any time have the resources and skill to take on any of the other 24 alliance. Yes you still had one or two 'big bads' who everyone moaned about but they were not untoucable.

Even behind these top 25 you would have as many as 100 smaller alliances who while smaller werent that so small that you couldnt ignore them. A well aimed strike by them could really do a top alliance damage. To sum it up the gap between the power weilded by the 300member plus top alliances and the smallest 20 member alliance was significantly smaller than it is today.

Now today alliances are generally smaller but theres a trend to form powerblocks. The powerblocks in themselves arent a bad thing as they build up a greater community between these alliances but the knock on effects are bad.

We end up with three sides Powerblock A consisting of half the top 8-10 alliances, Powerblock B consisiting of the other half and then everyone else.

We the end up with between 1000 and 3000 players of this game belonging to one of these blocks and with the blocks not wanting to destroy their round from the start they stay away from possible conflict with the other. This puts everyone not in the powerblocks in danger as soon as the 72 hour protection ends. We are considered easy targets and with so much incoming the smaller alliances arew easy targets and each day get easier as they become weaker. No smaller alliance ever gets the chance to narrow the already huge gap and as the round goes on it gets bigger and bigger until we are all too small to be of any use as 'farms' for the blocks. Then they finnally decide to turn on ach other when everyone else round is destroyed.

The only way to solve this is simply to remove the blocks and get back to a situation where alliances are playing by themselves. From here alliances can be born and be allowed to grow allowing them to drag themselves into a situation where they can actually achieve something other than being bashed out of existance.

How to go about doing this i dont know but for one I know that killing the alliance communities isnt the way to go. Its the alliance communities that keep this game going and keep people playing even when they are being bashed and forcing alliances to stay to 20-30 people will just cause PA downfall as the community will just die.

Also the idea someone else mentioned on making alliances in game and then banning them from defending non members also doesnt work. You see by banning defence of anyone but galaxy, alliance and para/cluster you are making it easier to attack. You didnt mention any limit on attacking with others (although will deal with that issue later on) so powerblocks are able to form for attacking only. This means the small alliances will still be bashed by the big ones the only difference being we wont be able to exploit our contacts with other alliances in our position to enable attacks to be covered. Such defence can be vital in beating the big alliances. So we will still have the same situation as we have now.

You could limit attackers into a galaxy by saying only one alliance can attack a gaalxy at once but then yourd end up with the situation of Alliance A sending a single ships at every galaxy of Alliance B's and vise versa to keep their targets constanltly off limits thus defeating the whole point of the game.

Quote:
Still we have a 26.3% of players disagreeing with a solution ANY solution ffs!!!
I voted no, I'm not a big alliance player and would love to see PA back to the 'balanced playing field' it once was that was fun to play. I'm not against any solution but just the ones being suggested now. They are utlimatly flawed and wont change things one bit, yet many of you are not looking at the full picture and just seeing the pros to such things.

Its just like the whole move to private galaxies in r4, in r3 Fury, Legion and RB cheated to enable them to get large numbers of players into galaxies basically giving them semi-private galaxies which gave this first block a major advantage. Immediatly the people being bashed started moaning about their gaalxies being too inactive to handle these semi-private galaxies and how they wanted private galaxies because it would allow them to have active galaxies and compete. What everyone demanding these changes didnt take into account however was that any change that helped the smaller players helped the big ones too. Instead of semi private galaxies the likes of fury and co now also had full galaxies, this then allowed more than one block to emerge and resulted in the problems we have now. If we had all just looked at the bigger picture and not just saw how it would help us maybe we would have been in a better position today.

If you learn from the past mistakes this community has made and look at the full picture and taking all the evidence we have on board your see this idea is flawed. Its just an attempt to wallpaper over the cracks in the hope no-one notices. We have too few players and the powerblocks too strong for a random galaxy situation to now have any effect. As we saw last round it doesnt really work in the current climate and to get it to work the major problems need addressed and fixed first
The Farnborough Crew
Cos anything else is just an alliance
Join our public channel at #f-crew
wakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Apr 2003, 14:44   #340
wakey
Hamster

wakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Quote:
Originally posted by Imm0
You guys ever thought about a R9.5 round with random galls and acces for everyone?

You should make a free round between R9 and R10 to get more people playing PA. I really think that would be much fun, and get more customers for planetarion also!

Greetz Imm0
Thats the kind of thing thats needed to make these plans to work. We need an influx of n00bs to counter balance the power the blocks have thus making r9.5 an improvement
The Farnborough Crew
Unread 15 Apr 2003, 16:16   #341
Black_Kat

Black_Kat is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: reset

Quote:
Originally posted by Copie

And thats what it boils down to, it's a game and games are sposed to be fun, if there not people wont play. More than anything this game, and any other, needs more players to make it more fun, and the power blocks dont make it easy to introduce new players to this game. n00bs are not welcomed into power blocks because they are not good enough players, they are bashed constantly because they do not have an alliance, and they get disillusioned to the game and leave quickly. We end up with inactive planets and the stagnation that we all see.

Copie

being the "noob" that i am, that is exactly how i feel...i've been in the rooms trying to gain acceptance only to be ignored cos i don't know the right ppl or anyone actually. Then after being constantly attacked and receiving messages like "FS please initiate more roids next time we attack you" this game, the ppl who made it should be commended for all they do and have done cos the potential for greatness is there. Maybe in earlier rounds it was fun (i wasn't around to see that) but i am around now to see that the "winners" can't seem to win gracefully. My galaxy can't do ANYTHING. we go attack and we get messages from galaxies that have planets in them as big as our entire galaxy saying "if u land, we will retaliate" we send each other defense and we get messages like "recall your fleet or you are next" what can u do when the planet who sends that message could take out your entire galaxy ALONE i don't know if this has always been part of the game but that is just no fun at all when you can't even doing anything except sit there...waiting to be attacked.

i voted for no re-shuffle cos i'm at the point, let's just get it over with. i don't wanna have to start all over again it takes me forever to rebuild my fleet now and i've got roids to do it. just glad someone on here "Copie" is lookin out for us little ppl
Thanks Copie
Black_Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Apr 2003, 19:46   #342
hAl
ensign forever

Quote:
Originally posted by wakey
How to go about doing this i dont know but for one I know that killing the alliance communities isnt the way to go. Its the alliance communities that keep this game going and keep people playing even when they are being bashed and forcing alliances to stay to 20-30 people will just cause PA downfall as the community will just die.
Actually if you remove the current alliance structures new alliances will form. That is hardly a problem. People need a community but if the game provides one they will grap hold of that.

Quote:

Also the idea someone else mentioned on making alliances in game and then banning them from defending non members also doesnt work. You see by banning defence of anyone but galaxy, alliance and para/cluster you are making it easier to attack. You didnt mention any limit on attacking with others (although will deal with that issue later on) so powerblocks are able to form for attacking only. This means the small alliances will still be bashed by the big ones the only difference being we wont be able to exploit our contacts with other alliances in our position to enable attacks to be covered. Such defence can be vital in beating the big alliances. So we will still have the same situation as we have now.
Amusing. I'm not at all convinced powerblock can form from attacking alone. In an all out attacking game getting defence will be vital. It will a least be very new to all how in game alliance will bind people more then outside game attack groups.
Quote:
You could limit attackers into a galaxy by saying only one alliance can attack a gaalxy at once but then yourd end up with the situation of Alliance A sending a single ships at every galaxy of Alliance B's and vise versa to keep their targets constanltly off limits thus defeating the whole point of the game.
This is not the way to deal with attack groups. Attack groups are now based on alliance structures. If you take those away the battlegroup has less reason for existance inles it can gain recognition for it's achievement in the game. If you make them unable to tag and let players only define their alligiance at signup there is much less honour to be claimed by battlegroup then there is now.

hAl
Unread 15 Apr 2003, 23:14   #343
Shakky
Divine

Shakky is an unknown quantity at this point
reset

Nosferatu
Silver
Elysium
RaH
Eclipse
Shakky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Apr 2003, 04:24   #344
Troll
DLR HC

Troll is a splendid one to beholdTroll is a splendid one to beholdTroll is a splendid one to beholdTroll is a splendid one to beholdTroll is a splendid one to beholdTroll is a splendid one to beholdTroll is a splendid one to beholdTroll is a splendid one to behold
Random and reset is clearly the better option. Assuming they can figure out away to do it in a manner that will allow player to be annonomous.

Or how about 2 universes?

Assuming the server load isn't that large, could u just run a random universe transfering all accounts to the ranomd one in some way and then reseting it?

best of both worlds and idealistic. But what the hell I had to say it
Troll is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Apr 2003, 04:24   #345
GhostWhoWalks

I am not currently playing this round (RL prevented me for this round) and from the sounds of it I am glad. Therefore I will not vote .... however, if the round sucks so much would it be possible to end the round early (say after only 2 months) and expand the R10 free trail period from 2 weeks to 6 weeks (could even use this as a beta test)? Maybe give the ppl who payed for r9 a couple of speed games to make up for the short game.

Going to the R10 game trial will result in new players joining, a bigger universe, no power blocks and lots of new thingies to play with/learn..... could be FUN.
Unread 16 Apr 2003, 05:38   #346
LordBrem

LordBrem is an unknown quantity at this point
terrible idea

this is a TERRIBLE idea.

This round, I was bashed as much as anyone. My gal had inc for about two weeks straight, night and day both. Did I quit? Did I whine like all of you are doing? Did I point out that, if not for the evil powerblock, I would be in a top 10 gal (though, when you think about it, only ten of them, at most, would actually have a chance at this...)

I did none of those things. I went to my alliance, which supposedly was providing no defence, and (surprise!) found some defenders. I used my cluster/para alliances, as long as they lasted for. I coordinated in gal def. And I built pds. And, you ask, where am I now?

My entire gal built pds. We are extremely roid fat (I myself am top 1000 roids yet not even top 2500 score), yet have not had inc for over a week. Weet is at war, they are attacking each other now.

Enough talk of myself, I will move on the universe as a whole. As i said, weet is no longer bashing small people. Yes, many people had a lot of inc, and their start was slowed.

But, RIGHT NOW, everyone has an equal chance. If someone w/ 100 roids tries, from now on, and has a few good attacks, and stays active, and organizes a few bashings of the top gals, he can easily finish among the top given a month or two.

I paid for a round of pa where I could be among active friends in a gal together. We are not winning, and we should not be. PA is not a solo game. Nor should it be. If you want to play by yourself, go play some video games - I hear space invaders is fun. Being that it is alliance based, it is NOT going to be fair for all. Perhaps this round was excessive, but randoms are never going to have much of a chance. This is as it should be - people who take the time to organize alliances should be rewarded.

Before the round started, everyone knew what would happen. I give credit to vomm and the other independent semi-blocks for doing their best anyway. I also think what weet/nar did was stupid. But, that is as far as I go.

IT IS NOT THE JOB OF THE CREATORS OF PA TO MAKE SURE THAT EVERYONE HAS AN EQUAL CHANCE OF WINNING.

If anything, they should follow their contract, and let the round finish. Or, at the very leasy, start over but keep priv gals - weet/nar is over, there are no more blocks. If given the chance, at any given point once a round has started, 90% of people not in top 50 gals are going to want a reset...If there is not an easy excuse, such as the block, they will come up w/ one...so voting on this issue is sort of pointless.
LordBrem is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Apr 2003, 10:10   #347
Gerbie
pe0n

Gerbie is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: terrible idea

Quote:
Originally posted by LordBrem
I paid for a round of pa where I could be among active friends in a gal together. We are not winning, and we should not be. PA is not a solo game. Nor should it be. If you want to play by yourself, go play some video games - I hear space invaders is fun. Being that it is alliance based, it is NOT going to be fair for all. Perhaps this round was excessive, but randoms are never going to have much of a chance. This is as it should be - people who take the time to organize alliances should be rewarded.

Before the round started, everyone knew what would happen. I give credit to vomm and the other independent semi-blocks for doing their best anyway. I also think what weet/nar did was stupid. But, that is as far as I go.

IT IS NOT THE JOB OF THE CREATORS OF PA TO MAKE SURE THAT EVERYONE HAS AN EQUAL CHANCE OF WINNING.

If anything, they should follow their contract, and let the round finish. Or, at the very leasy, start over but keep priv gals - weet/nar is over, there are no more blocks. If given the chance, at any given point once a round has started, 90% of people not in top 50 gals are going to want a reset...If there is not an easy excuse, such as the block, they will come up w/ one...so voting on this issue is sort of pointless.
1. this game is not alliance based.
2. Creators/crew/Jolt should try to get as much income/profit out of this game as possible. That's capitalism. For that they need paying players, now and in the future. They obviously think a reset might help. I tend to agree.
round 7 noob: rank 6.198 25:20:25 - VoC member
round 8 noob: rank 4.112 7:2:3 - TFD member
round 9 rank 941 23:1:9 - TFD HC
round 9.5 rank 860 22:7:3 - TFD HC
round 10: rank unknown (was #1 for a while) 5:2:5 - Vengeance pe0n
round 10.5: rank 683 19:10:2 - VGN member
round 11: rank 138 8:8:4 - VsN member
round 12: rank 515 - VGN 'special attack officer' -> jumped ship to Rock
round 13: rank 85: NoS
Gerbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Apr 2003, 10:20   #348
ZaPpeh

ZaPpeh is an unknown quantity at this point
Erm, if this game is not alliance based, find me a high ranking player outside of an alliance......

Enough said.
Unread 16 Apr 2003, 10:50   #349
Veil05
NE

Veil05 has much to be proud ofVeil05 has much to be proud ofVeil05 has much to be proud ofVeil05 has much to be proud ofVeil05 has much to be proud ofVeil05 has much to be proud ofVeil05 has much to be proud ofVeil05 has much to be proud ofVeil05 has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally posted by ZaPpeh
Erm, if this game is not alliance based, find me a high ranking player outside of an alliance......

Enough said.
lol, what are u talking about? GO BACK TO GD!!!!
Unread 16 Apr 2003, 11:23   #350
wakey
Hamster

Quote:
Originally posted by hAl
Actually if you remove the current alliance structures new alliances will form. That is hardly a problem. People need a community but if the game provides one they will grap hold of that.

Amusing. I'm not at all convinced powerblock can form from attacking alone. In an all out attacking game getting defence will be vital. It will a least be very new to all how in game alliance will bind people more then outside game attack groups.

This is not the way to deal with attack groups. Attack groups are now based on alliance structures. If you take those away the battlegroup has less reason for existance inles it can gain recognition for it's achievement in the game. If you make them unable to tag and let players only define their alligiance at signup there is much less honour to be claimed by battlegroup then there is now.

hAl
Point 1: For many players your probally right but theres also many who probally would find it hard to be part of any other group of players. The reason alliances like F-Crew, IPC and TFD have stayed around so long isnt that we are all powerful but we offer a community that our members like. Having personally left F-Crew on on occassion and tried to find a group I could fit in with I was unable to and went back and I'm sure many people from f-crew, IPC and TFD would say the same. For these people PA is more about being part of these groups than the game itself

Point 2: A phrase often used in football is "The best form of defence is attack". The powerblocks dont succeed simply because they defend each other but because they impose their power on teh community by showing their defensive and offensive power causinga fear of them amongst the masses. If you impose defence restrictions on alliances then to create this fear the empahsis would be moved to attacking and to gain the advantage forming a powerblock so you can take out rivals through attacking alone would become an ideal way of winning
The Farnborough Crew