User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions

Unread 2 Jun 2009, 04:52   #1
Kattepis
De aroma komt je tegemoet

Kattepis is infamous around these parts
Races history/traditions/roleplaying

I personally hate rollplaying. I do like to read some nice history about ships and races. And i hate other races then etd or zik have stealing ships.

Pa has to be bigger. We need new players.
I think PA is a boring game. We see stats, we build, we calc, launch, scan, calc again, recall or land.
Scanning part is usually done by scanners.
And we launch def fleets. This part is done by DC's we only enter coords.

I think its not exiting enough for new players. They see stats without a story backround or why the stats are those stats. They just build, launch calc etc. Wich is sort of boring to my opinion. (dont dare to ask me why i still play this game :P)

Anyway i think pa needs more stories about ship development, races history, pictures with the ships, etc.

New players dont smell the atmosphere of a spacewar game. They dont know what those races are or how they look like. They dont know why Cath has EMP ships and Zik has stealing ships or how the schips look like.

Atm PA is just a statsgame. Terran was terran but now they have stealing ships and nobody knows why. Last round Cath had stealing ships and again nobody knows why. Yeah people like all races to have mixed ships. I dont and for new players its not logical when they hear about the etd story. Terrans only talked with guns to other races.

Pa should have something like a encyclopedia with races history. Maybe make up some historical battles between races or important developments about Etd contacting other races. Or even explain something like why clusters have a -1 def eta with a good written story. Its a sci-fi game so any story can be made up.

A link of this history should be on a small menu on the right side of the screen. Just dont put it somewhere hidden with all the other links like construction, covops and stuff. Just somewhere easy to find.

For new players its also nice to see something like an extended shipstats page with more info with pics, history, shipdevelopment, why races used them in the past and not anymore. Or why races swear traditionally on certain att fleets (like terr usually had DE in the past).

I can play the game without. Everybody can. But i just think new players will be more seduced in sticking with the game a few rounds longer. Or not quit after half a round of being bashed. Or their just more interested in signing up when they have seen the info page about races & ships. Maybe this helps in people who want to roleplay (maybe an extra source of players?). Those people can entertain themselves with strange talk while they dont really care losing some roids.

It will be alot of typing work the first time. But on future rounds it can be updated with just a few stories each round.
The only thing we have atm (i think) is when you click on a ships name on production page and the races page in manual. Thats just not enough to make it an exiting game for new players.

Last edited by Cincinnatus; 2 Jun 2009 at 11:01.
Kattepis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Jun 2009, 08:15   #2
P1ngu
Looking for the big Fish

P1ngu is on a distinguished road
Re: Races history/traditions/roleplaying

well you got the Planetarion wiki
www clawofdarkness.com/pawiki/index.php/Main_Page
no LINK from me

But I agree... More information and history about each ship/race would be good for new players and maybe old...
And the only race with mix shipstats of emp, cloak, steal and "kill" should be etd.
Unread 2 Jun 2009, 09:32   #3
[DW]Entropy
Ent|lunch

[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold

The Round 1 Story was something i remember quite well.

"Don't tell people how to do things, tell them what to do and let them surprise you with their results."

"Ars longa, vita brevis, occasio praeceps, experimentum periculosum, iudicium difficile"
[DW]Entropy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Jun 2009, 13:47   #4
Kattepis
De aroma komt je tegemoet

Kattepis is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1ngu View Post
well you got the Planetarion wiki
www clawofdarkness.com/pawiki/index.php/Main_Page
no LINK from me

But I agree... More information and history about each ship/race would be good for new players and maybe old...
And the only race with mix shipstats of emp, cloak, steal and "kill" should be etd.
Planetarion wiki is a boring white page. Its not updated every round. And new members dont know where to find it. So its actually of no use.
Unread 2 Jun 2009, 13:49   #5
P1ngu
Looking for the big Fish

P1ngu is on a distinguished road

yeah I know, but atm its the only place with some history and shait
Unread 2 Jun 2009, 15:34   #6
[DW]Entropy
Ent|lunch

[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kattepis View Post
Planetarion wiki is a boring white page. Its not updated every round. And new members dont know where to find it. So its actually of no use.
Doesn't mean it isn't of use to those who do know where it is.

"Don't tell people how to do things, tell them what to do and let them surprise you with their results."

"Ars longa, vita brevis, occasio praeceps, experimentum periculosum, iudicium difficile"
Unread 2 Jun 2009, 15:39   #7
berten
respect, unity, order

berten is a jewel in the roughberten is a jewel in the roughberten is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by [DW]Entropy View Post
Doesn't mean it isn't of use to those who do know where it is.
The start of this thread was about making the game more apealing for new players tough.

I agree that some more background on everything wouldn't be a bad idea. Who's going to write it tough?
Unread 2 Jun 2009, 15:47   #8
Cochese
Retired

Cochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond repute

We're seeing more user-generated content lately, surely someone with a good imagination and writing skills will step up

Utterly useless since r3
Cochese is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Jun 2009, 20:35   #9
DragonKing

DragonKing is a name known to allDragonKing is a name known to allDragonKing is a name known to allDragonKing is a name known to allDragonKing is a name known to allDragonKing is a name known to all

The age of War

It was the terran year 2024 when mankind made its first trip real step into the cold nothingness of space. 15000 men women and children left the planet earth to live on the nearby planet of mars. The Taurus colony was mankind’s great hope, their bold step into the future, it was also to be the beginning of the end. In the space above mars survey probes found a new element, a radioactive stable super heavy element, it was called eonium. The element was able to give off huge amounts of power, more than had been dreamed possible only years before.

The EEC the company responsible for the discovery of eonium, soon became the most powerful force on earth, civil liberties were curtailed. The poorest people becoming little more than slaves in the Great effort.

The Great Effort powered by eonium spaceships were built, from small single man interceptors to vast battleships. In one day one million ships were launched to spread out across the universe to colonize every world and search for new sources of eonium, metals and crystals that allowed the ships to be built.

Mankind spread like a virus to worlds far across the universe to every galaxy in reach of the vast hyperspace generators. In each galaxy a number of planets were seeded with life those deemed to be richest in minerals.

However discord began to grow the lower classes after decades of virtual slavery began to rise up. The ECC had stretched its control too thinly, on worlds across the universe colony leaders began to argue and disagree with the iron fist the ECC tried to impose. A vast fleet was gathered by the dissidents and locking earths co-ordinates into there jump gate generator they sallied forth to earth.

From the ground on ancient terra, the sky was lit up first by the many hundreds of jump gates opening, and then by the massed fire as the revolutionary armies began to wage war with the loyalist forces of the ECC.

The battle waged for many hours, few if any of the captains noticed how much damage was being done to the planet they all cared so much for. Stray shots and missiles were impacting all across the world. The flag ship of the ECC fleet was crippled and began a rapid decent into earth’s atmosphere. Its huge eonium powered generators began to go into overload. The impact with the surface of the planet was too much, the jump engines went critical, the energy surged out across the planet and ignited the eonium stores on the surface. So much energy. A few captains whose ships were still functioning enough to initiated emergency jumps to avoid the destruction of the planet. With in mere moments the reaction reached its peek and the planet exploded with the force of a nova.

The names of the surviving ships are recorded in legend Bluetuba, the Concordium, the Fcrew, the new dawn, the xanadu, the fury, and the legion. To name some.

The captains retreated to there colonies and began to try and rebuild but it was not to be, without the single authority of the ECC, no one faction could claim leadership. So it was the last recorded year of the earth calendar, war broke out across the universe.

Round 27 28 HA DC BC, 29 VGN DC, 30 ND DC, 31 32 HA head DC,
Round 33 34 35 ND DC
Round 36 37 38 ND HC DC
Round 39 to Forever ND DC
DragonKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Jun 2009, 21:29   #10
Appocomaster
PA Team

Appocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

We used to have a backstory team but it ended up not really going anywhere. If someone is willing to step up with concrete ideas of where it should go and how it should be integrated with the game, I have no issues (within reason) of putting the content there.
Unread 3 Jun 2009, 11:43   #11
[DW]Entropy
Ent|lunch

The community show more imagination than the PATeam, maybe we don't need a back story creation team but someone who can channel all of this positive creativity and use it for PA's benefit.

Unread 4 Jun 2009, 09:11   #12
Ave

Ave is a glorious beacon of lightAve is a glorious beacon of lightAve is a glorious beacon of lightAve is a glorious beacon of lightAve is a glorious beacon of lightAve is a glorious beacon of light

I do not even know what cathars, xandatrii, terran, zikonian or etraides means/stands for but if someone is willing to inform... stories I can come up with and I am sure so can many others.

Also here we talk again about portal enviroment, passport systems and so on, storing and showing past data.
Unread 17 Jun 2009, 17:18   #13
WWToo

WWToo is an unknown quantity at this point

Pete has asked for feedback on DragonKing's sample story on this thread. Is it the kind of thing you are looking for? It works for me and I'm interested in what might come next
WWToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Jun 2009, 18:29   #14
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Zhil used to write some pretty good stuff but it was more based around the alliances than the races.

I think that Zikonians were supposed to be made up of lots of very small robots - not sure where I read that! The idea was that they took over other ships.

The Xandathrii Horde were similar to Aliens (the film) and the Zerg in Starcraft.

Cathaar were supposedly noble and stuff!

Terrans were just humans.

Eitrades - mercenaries I guess?
Unread 17 Jun 2009, 18:40   #15
Patrikc

Patrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomkat View Post
<snip>
Terran are Humans (ya rly!) who no longer live on earth.

Cathaar are feline humanoids ("catfolk").

Xandathrii are insects, not really "Aliens" as in from that movie. (I was thinking more of that Insect race from Star Trek: Enterprise, Mantis-like creatures)

Zikonians are still a mystery!

Eitraides are Humans that rebelled and were banished from the home planet, and are now traders.
Patrikc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Jun 2009, 19:35   #16
Ave

Ave is a glorious beacon of lightAve is a glorious beacon of lightAve is a glorious beacon of lightAve is a glorious beacon of lightAve is a glorious beacon of lightAve is a glorious beacon of light

DragonKing, its a good one, but imo it lacks all the creativity, that we try to add for the game too.

It could also contain details that match ingame also and leave the story open for future developement and reasons to fight on...
Think its a goodish first structure to build on tho. Also more of the races and each one of them stories should match in.

We are building this game for 5 races, not just for the humans.
Unread 17 Jun 2009, 20:42   #17
DragonKing

DragonKing is a name known to allDragonKing is a name known to allDragonKing is a name known to allDragonKing is a name known to allDragonKing is a name known to allDragonKing is a name known to all

well it is a start based on several things one being the estabished lead in for round one and the second being the fact we started with just the humans. ideally we will build up with the older races being awoken for them slumber by the new young race and such possible we should get an irc chan and kick ideas around

Round 33 34 35 ND DC
Round 36 37 38 ND HC DC
Unread 18 Jun 2009, 02:19   #18
Kargool
Up The Hatters!

Kargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet society

I've written two snippets of text for Cathaar and Eitrades that gives people a sort of backstory for the two races, am currently working on the three others and will in due time post them too. Please come with feedback

Eitrades

"We used to be many you know.. The people were coming in from all over the Terran home worlds. People were flocking to the cause, and joining us. We traded with Cathaars, we traded with Xandathrii and we at times even traded with our lost brothers. We salvaged ships, made spaceships out of tin boxes that were drifting in space. We salvaged what we could on every ship, and then took upon us to make new ships. Trade went well till the Terrans saw that we were beginning to grow."

"Forced us out of our planets they did you know!" The old man with the beard covering a large scar leaned down to the boy, the boy, merely 6 years old shudders in fear as the blackened teeth of this older man grinned at him. "Aye, I remember it well" the old man sighed to himself, oblivious to the youngster sitting by his feet. "The commander shouted: Here they come! The giant hypergate opened and out came the enormous battleships. Wyverns, Dragons, Leviathans! Like a cut scene from the end of worlds..." The old man gets onto his feet, gesturing at the wall of the spaceship, drawing pictures of blips on an imaginary radar screen. "They attacked without warning. I was just a boy, like you." The old man sits down again. Closing his eyes the old man muttered under his breath. "I was on one of the first ones... The first Guardian, built by us, ‘the revolutionaries’. The Terran commanders came up on the view screen, demanding our surrender... But we left, ran away. To this place, this hull of a battleship became our home, and we've lived between the stars ever since.. But it's time to find a home now my little rascal." The old man pinches the young boy’s cheek, and then looks into the kids light blue eyes. "Don't forget it now. Eitrades are here to stay. And the Terrans should know that by now!"

Cathaar:

She reflected back to the days in her office, illuminated by cool blue light, the only sounds were her fingers pressing the touch screen. She had sat there looking at the screen; having not yet gathered all the information; however she had been certain that she was right. The old stories she had heard as a child about the giant caves hidden under the planet’s surface were true. The legend told how their predecessors were storing their knowledge in the Library of Ages. She had kept it to herself for many days, before finding a geologist crazy enough to venture down there with her, in the past few days they prepared, and then traveled down to the caves.

Now as she studied the ancient texts she understood all of a sudden that the texts were written to her, and as they spoke to her she knew... She was the one they had been waiting for. She looked back at the geologist thinking to herself what to do with him, then she realized she must have triggered something because all of the sudden a bright light whisked her away from where she was standing, and into a hall. A gigantic statue was right in front of her, the hands of the statue reaching out for her, and in its hands a computerscreen was standing.. She touched it, and at once understood. A soft metallic voice began to speak to her: “This is the wisdom of the ancients, the ones that walked here before you, we believed we could solve the universes riddles with weapons of mass destruction, with powerful viruses and pathogens that would kill our enemies, but then we understood. We were far too advanced to fall into barbaric rivalry, we needed another solution. The enemies were to barbaric for us.” The screen flimmered for a second, then the schematics for a drawing gleaned against her behind a layer of dust. She blew the dust away, sending heaps of the dust onto her clothes and her face, but she did not mind, she knew this was bigger than that. The schematics were those for a ship. Spider it said on the screen, but instead of laser gatling guns, pulse cannons or plasma rays there were a strange device connected to the system. She read the ancient texts and found the letters EMP. A crystal popped out from under the screen, she yelped in fear at first, but understood shortly that this was one of the ancient storing devices. She took the datacrystal, turned around. She was the first one, and she had a plan to complete.
Unread 18 Jun 2009, 05:52   #19
Ave

Very good writing mr kargool, those small elements to descripe the athmosphere are cool.
Unread 18 Jun 2009, 18:55   #20
Pat
a victorian street urchin

Pat is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrikc View Post
Terran are Humans (ya rly!) who no longer live on earth.

Cathaar are feline humanoids ("catfolk").

Xandathrii are insects, not really "Aliens" as in from that movie. (I was thinking more of that Insect race from Star Trek: Enterprise, Mantis-like creatures)

Zikonians are still a mystery!

Eitraides are Humans that rebelled and were banished from the home planet, and are now traders.

Ziks should be a race of machines created by an earlier civilization that sublimed orsimilar
always been around, just never really been here
Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Jun 2009, 01:53   #21
Ave

This is as far as I am curently. Stole some bits of text too from Kargool.

The moon was closer than before, it was so close u could actually touch it… When the earth suffered from climate changes, some very extreme solutions were made in order to safe the human race. Some brave young man and women were sent along with military, scientists, engineers, medics and astronauts to head towards space. The stations that already existed were used as a base to copy their structure and expand them as huge platforms to live in and to shuttle new missions from close range. There were some serious attempts to discover ways to live beyond earth, discover planets to colonize and find new resources and air to breathe.

For once the nations of earth were working for common goal. Remarkable founding was made from a surface of an anonymous planet. This resource named as Eonium could be used as a power source for the existing stations. It would help the stations to power themselves and lower the need for supplies from earth. The mining had begun.

The breading travelers made soon another discovery, the atmosphere of space the emptiness, yet a rich endless environment had affected the born children aswell. The need for air to breath had lowered. Some of the born children were able to breath and bare very thin air. At this point it was clear the human race had envolved… the race of Terran were born.

This didn’t only mean the possible salvation, but also awoke the hunch of life beyond humans and earth.

Artificial Intelligence was used way before to run computers, programs, robots and even whole factories. It was also used plenty in the stations sent to space. Was clear it had already replaced partly the need for human touch and thinking, but someone out there was thinking, was it really something that we had created and made… was it something that was dependant on us, or was it something more...

She reflected back to the days in her office, illuminated by cool blue light, the only sounds were her fingers pressing the touch screen. She had sat there looking at the screen; having not yet gathered all the information; however she had been certain that she was right. The old stories she had heard as a child about the giant caves hidden under the planet’s surface were true. The legend told how their predecessors were storing their knowledge in the Library of Ages. She had kept it to herself for many days, before finding a geologist crazy enough to venture down there with her, in the past few days they prepared, and then traveled down to the caves.

Now as she studied the ancient texts she understood all of a sudden that the texts were written to her, and as they spoke to her she knew... She was the one they had been waiting for. She looked back at the geologist thinking to herself what to do with him, then she realized she must have triggered something because all of the sudden a bright light whisked her away from where she was standing, and into a hall. A gigantic statue was right in front of her, the hands of the statue reaching out for her, and in its hands a screen was standing.. She touched it, and at once understood. A soft metallic voice began to speak to her: “This is the wisdom of the ancients, the ones that walked here before you, we have seen how you relay on weapons, technology and believe in miracles. But I can tell u, don’t go out there on space without your radars turned on, don’t go to space at all before your intelligence gives you answears and most importantly don’t go to space, when you ignore everything around and right before your eyes. And the only miracle that u will see, is me giving u this advice. It is cold and dark world out there that we Cathaars have withnessed, yet u manage to let your surface melt, washing down your living environment down to nothing. ” The screen flimmered for a second, then the schematics for a drawing gleaned against her behind a layer of dust. She blew the dust away, sending heaps of the dust onto her clothes and her face, but she did not mind, she knew this was bigger than that. The schematics were those for a gun. “It is something old and ancient”, the voice continued, “but it does freezingly good job...”

As soon as the light had appeared as soon it was gone again. She poundered what the figure might have been, seeing how he stood with two legs, yet understood everything about nature and living on earth, it must have been something ancient, yet something far more intelligent than the robot it seemed to be, the figure would be called as Cathaar humanoid, one that seemed to value life.

Was this meeting about saving the earth from melting and to stop the climate changes, was this a message to save these humanoid creatures lurking in the caves along with the human and animal life, was this to warn us about something out there, or an attempt to hide something valuable that lived or laid in the space… Or is this all just one big lie? Atleast we wouldnt fall in to barbaric rival of races, when it seemed all to be about survival.
Unread 19 Jun 2009, 13:41   #22
world

world is an unknown quantity at this point

lol, its like wannabe fantasy writers thread, Ave you might want to copy yours to word and do a spelling and grammar check
world is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Jun 2009, 08:03   #23
Ave

Yeah my grammar sucks, but feel free to correct it.
Unread 22 Jun 2009, 15:13   #24
DragonKing

I think we need to actually get zpete to give us an idea what if anything he would like doing, it is okay for three or four of us to be generating ideas but if it never goes anywhere......

Round 33 34 35 ND DC
Round 36 37 38 ND HC DC