User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Roleplaying

Unread 16 May 2005, 03:51   #1
Bakan
To Old to Die......

Bakan is a jewel in the roughBakan is a jewel in the roughBakan is a jewel in the rough
DOOM! Resurrection of Evil!

[ooc] I must apologize about my last two Doom threads and how they ended early. Basically on May 20th I will graduate from my university, and move on in life. Because of this I had to move into a new off-campus apartment, arrange things and whatnot. The past few days I looked over my previous threads, and realized that there were a lot of things I wish that I could have done differently, but between class and job hunting (also found a job BTW), I messed up. Hence, this thread is the first I shall ever make being a college graduate, with significantly less stress and having time to think through this properly. So, here goes! [/ooc]

DOOM! Resurrection of Evil

Space. Its infinite darkness stretches everywhere, lit by relatively tiny objects, such as stars, planets, nebulas, and a Pelican drop-ship slowly traveling in the endless void. As the drop-ship glides past, the logo of the United Aerospace Corporation is clearly visible on the bow. With a brief flash of thrusters, the drop-ship changed its course slightly, entering am entry vector towards a red planet, known by the inhabitants of the system as Mars.

Inside the drop-ship sat in various seats a mixture of people, most of them looking bored and uncomfortable after the 10-hours trip from the UAC frigate Red Raven. On the view-screens was a talking news head.

….. in other news today, final casualty reports from the Utopia Mars Research installation are in. Three days ago there was an explosion at the UAC installation, to which UAC representatives have stated was caused by a malfunction plasma junction, destroying one of the primary hanger bays. 27 people were lost, making this the worst incident at the base.

In other news….

”Sorry for the interruption, but this is your pilot speaking. We have entered Mars orbit and are coming in for a landing at Utopia in about ten-minutes. According to flight control, there are light cross-winds which might cause mild turbulence, so please fasten your restraints.”

Outside your viewport you see the red surface of the planet Mars start to rapidly grow.

UAC Information
The Union Aerospace Corporation is the largest military hardware supplier to the nations of Earth. Ranging from small-arms to the latest gunship and spacecraft, they hold a virtual monopoly over all military hardware. Since becoming the principle military supplier, they have branched off in space travel, colonization of the other planets in the solar system, archeological research of ruins on Earth, and increasing their weapons technology. Through cleaver manipulations, the UAC has reached a state where they have a strong influence in most governments on Earth.

The Utopia Mars Base is built on the framework of the original Mars Base, which was used as an outpost and proof-of-concept installation for the feasibility of humans living on other planets. Most of those original sections are uninhabited now, accessed by a few maintenance personal. The newer sections are where the bulk of scientific research occurs and personal live.

UAC "Pelican" Dropship
The standard Dropship used by the UAC, these ships are capable of traveling through the solar system on a full load of fuel. There are two standard universal airlocks on either side towards the aft section, and one assault airlock aft.
  • Crew: 4
  • Passengers: 20
  • Engines: 4 Multi-Angle Solar Ion Drives - These drives, mounted at the ends of the 4 wings, can rotate a full 360. Two engines are mounted forward, two aft.
  • Weapons: Standard Payload
    • Long-Range Archer Missiles
    • 4 Short-Range Interceptor Missiles
    • 4 Forward Mounted M23 Plasma Cannons
    • 2 G64 Minigun Turrets - One Mounted Topside, One Mounted Bottom
    • 2 Chaff Turrets
  • Assault Airlock - Used in boarding operations, this airlock can extend and burn through hull armor from the aft end of the dropship.

Your Role
You are a UAC Marine. Most Marines are simply soldiers, excellent in a firefight and not much else. Others are trained heavier in the medical fields, or maintenance fields, or piloting, or a wide variety of skills. In short, with a full company of UAC Marines, they can pilot into a combat zone, assault it, repair the enemy equipment while treating the badly wounded and fly out.

You have recently been assigned to the Utopia Mars Base as replacement personal for those lost in the recent accident. Your orders said that you would receive more information about your duties upon arrival, along with your equipment. Everyone has a small satchel of personal items with them and are wearing standard issued UAC Uniforms. All weapons (excluding small-arms (pistols)) were not allowed on the Pelican.

Signups are easy. Just post a short character description, and the thread will start up within the next few days.
Bakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 May 2005, 09:21   #2
Spritely Zombie
Gokan Re... Um... undead?

Spritely Zombie will become famous soon enoughSpritely Zombie will become famous soon enough
Re: DOOM! Resurrection of Evil!

*sigh* I'm in... Again...
Spritely Zombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 May 2005, 10:57   #3
Richpur
Just call me sir.

Richpur is a glorious beacon of lightRichpur is a glorious beacon of lightRichpur is a glorious beacon of lightRichpur is a glorious beacon of lightRichpur is a glorious beacon of light

Richard walks over to the reset button and cuts the wires.

"Now I'm in."
Unread 16 May 2005, 11:39   #4
Fluffie
, Mr. Fluffie

Fluffie is a splendid one to beholdFluffie is a splendid one to beholdFluffie is a splendid one to beholdFluffie is a splendid one to beholdFluffie is a splendid one to beholdFluffie is a splendid one to beholdFluffie is a splendid one to beholdFluffie is a splendid one to behold

Yo.
Unread 16 May 2005, 13:09   #5
Bakan
To Old to Die......

Bakan is a jewel in the roughBakan is a jewel in the roughBakan is a jewel in the rough

*Looks at Richard.*

Damnit!

*Looks at everyone else.*

Character profiles please :-P
Unread 16 May 2005, 13:55   #6
mrmao
oh...sexy...

mrmao is a jewel in the roughmrmao is a jewel in the roughmrmao is a jewel in the roughmrmao is a jewel in the rough

hmmm well i join but not as a medic(it like being a cleric, your everybodys best friend when there hurt but other times your just a warm body). so i'll wait and see what yous guys do
Unread 16 May 2005, 15:42   #7
Heiro
'Mael'

Heiro is on a distinguished road

Awww well

I was even looking forward to D2.
Surely starting a new one is more work than writing and running the near autonomous plot of the last one...?
Unread 16 May 2005, 16:22   #8
Fluffie
, Mr. Fluffie

Fluffie is a splendid one to beholdFluffie is a splendid one to beholdFluffie is a splendid one to beholdFluffie is a splendid one to beholdFluffie is a splendid one to beholdFluffie is a splendid one to beholdFluffie is a splendid one to beholdFluffie is a splendid one to behold

Maybe Bakan just has a short attention span and as of such he might have already forgotten what the hell the story was in both Doom and Doom2
Unread 16 May 2005, 21:54   #9
Bakan
To Old to Die......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluffie
Maybe Bakan just has a short attention span and as of such he might have already forgotten what the hell the story was in both Doom and Doom2
*Looks at Fluffie.*

*Curses as his secret has been revealed, and thus, kicks Fluffie in the nutz with the patent-pending "spiked steel boots of ball-breaking".*
Unread 16 May 2005, 22:35   #10
Fluffie
, Mr. Fluffie

I use my power of "BIG ****ING AMOUNT OF WATER"-dodging. Hah!
Unread 17 May 2005, 01:55   #11
adam
The Oldbie Newbie

adam has a spectacular aura aboutadam has a spectacular aura about

I want to say screw you and I hope you rot in hell but alas.
Im nice

Im in

Wizards First Rule- People Are Stupid
Quoted by the first Wizard Zorrander

Defender of the RP forums against the GD invasion September the 19th 2003
adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 May 2005, 16:33   #12
Heiro
'Mael'

Please say it. It'd at least give us a brief moment of humour.
Unread 18 May 2005, 02:43   #13
Bakan
To Old to Die......

You know, if you all want me to get this thread working again, character profiles would be nice to have :-p
Unread 18 May 2005, 16:47   #14
Mad cat
The Dust Bunny That Bites

Mad cat is a splendid one to beholdMad cat is a splendid one to beholdMad cat is a splendid one to beholdMad cat is a splendid one to beholdMad cat is a splendid one to beholdMad cat is a splendid one to beholdMad cat is a splendid one to behold

I'm in on this one and I'll get my profile to you either this evening, or tomorrow.
Unread 18 May 2005, 18:05   #15
Fluffie
, Mr. Fluffie

(Heavy?) Marine, named Fluffie. Call him John if you must. Or John Warren if you really must. Callsign Fluffie though. Big Guns, Heavy Armour, Fancy Equipment. That be keywords on his desires.
Other than that, he's green. Did fairly well on the Academy (entered it at his eighteenth) or whatever. In a crazy accident somewhere in his youth (around 16 I guess) he lost all his friends and family in one go, which kind of bummed him for a while. Then he decided to leave the God forsaken planet (even though he had lost his religion) and go to a new one, carrying big guns in case anyone decided to **** with him again.
Generally not the happiest fellow around.

YAY I HAVE THE FIRST PROFILE YAY
Unread 19 May 2005, 01:41   #16
Richpur
Just call me sir.

Richpur is a glorious beacon of lightRichpur is a glorious beacon of lightRichpur is a glorious beacon of lightRichpur is a glorious beacon of lightRichpur is a glorious beacon of light

Karen Marco

Born - Seattle - 8th July 2114
Mother - Elizabeth Marco (Leighton)
Father - Julian Marco

Education
Age 4 - Accepted into Kings Education College Lower Unit
Age 8 - Transferred to Middle Unit
Age 12 - Transferred to Higher Unit
Age 15 - Majors selected in Biophysics and Neurological Computing
Age 19 - Graduated with Honours
UAC Security Forces Record
Enrolled - 13th September 2134
Completed Training - 27th July 2136
Assigned to Perimeter Guard: Mercer Island Biotech Facility - 30th July 2136
Promoted to Lance Corporal - 4th January 2137
Facility attacked by “J.A.R.T.” - 18th November 2137
Admitted to medical facility - 19th November 2137
Discharged - 24th July 2138
Rehabilitation Training Completed - 1st September 2138
Promoted to Corporal - 4th September 2138
Transferred to Nevada Advanced Training Facility - 6th September 2138
Completed Training - 29th July 2141
Assigned to Internal Security: Siberia High Energy Testing Facility - 1st August 2141
Recalled to UAC Central - 14th November 2142
Assigned to UAC Frigate Red Raven -15th November 2142
Current Location
En-route to Mars Base
Current Status
Annoyed

Karen’s head spins slowly, or possibly the world does; either way it’s not that pleasant a sensation. The doctor back on the Raven gave her a mild sedative to help counter the disorientation; honestly though, half the amount of time spent in high thrust transit these past few days is already against all sorts of regulations. At least in a few minutes there’ll be a solid planet under her feet again, that does wonders for space sickness.

Not that dizziness is the only problem niggling at her: the pilot insisted she only bring hand luggage with her, then refused to accept that a MAG-27 counted, despite it being in her hands at the time. Something about being unarmed makes her feel uneasy; that she is going to a base where the only people within a few million miles are UAC employees doesn’t seem too relevant – not since she is going there as one of the replacements.
Unread 20 May 2005, 17:37   #17
Heiro
'Mael'

Ok... This is Marcus Grave, D:RE version. I'm not feeling all that creative... sooo...

Name: Marcus Grave
Record of Service
Marcus joined the marines aged 25. Since then he has served in all the major offensives locally and been promoted twice. However, his general disrespect for the command structure and officer class in general lead to his demotion, swiftly and usually messily.
He was remarked as to being a fine shot with a shotgun at short range according the senior officer who he offended on his second attempt at being a sergent. Only moments before he shot him in the armoured vest with it at short range.
His transfer to mars was to lend an experienced hand, but in actuality it was to move the problem away from the standard military structures, and in fact, as far away from the base as possible.
Mars would suffice.
Unread 21 May 2005, 14:08   #18
Bakan
To Old to Die......

WoW!

Only three people posted profiles.

I dunno about starting this thread.... rest of you, get busy :-p
Unread 21 May 2005, 16:35   #19
Hewitt
The Aussie Dragon

Hewitt is a splendid one to beholdHewitt is a splendid one to beholdHewitt is a splendid one to beholdHewitt is a splendid one to beholdHewitt is a splendid one to beholdHewitt is a splendid one to beholdHewitt is a splendid one to behold

ooc: I believe that is because most peeps have finals this week...

Name: Hewitt

Background

Private Andrew 'Andy' Hewitt enlisted with the UAC marines right on the day of his 18th birthday. Ever since his older brother had done so a full two years earlier Andy had been wanting to follow in the footsteps of the single person he had idolised for most of his short life. Initally full of enthusiasm upon signing up, boot camp was a quick reality check and almost like many other new recruits Andy considered quiting within the first week of training. However, mainly due to continued letters of support from his brother, Andy managed to pull through and soon became used to life as a soldier. It was just as well for once the inital conditioning phase of boot was over training moved into other areas, areas such as firearms training. It is here that Andy was able to show off freakish levels of marksmanship developed from a life of growing up on the farm where a gun crazy father had let his kids run around with rifles since the tender age of seven ().

As his confidence grew Hewitt unfortunately developed a certain level of cockiness. He quickly became marked by his instructors as a trouble maker after a scheme involving the drill sargent, a cheap hooker and a banana went sour...... marked down in his training report are so many incidences of varying degree from AWOL to destruction of UAC property it would almost comical if it were not for the serious nature of the incidents noted. Yet despite this Andy somehow managed to pass the year long training and got his first gig on a research vessel somewhere out in the pacific. After a rather laid back tour of duty, Andy managed to secure a transfer into his brother's unit out in the middle east. Under the watchful eye of the only man Andy respected in existance, Hewitt 'grew up' in a way and proved himself as a competent soldier and a good marine though he was still known for his practical jokes and the high level of contempt for his superiors.

About a year ago, his brother got transfered from his long standing station to the Mars Project. At the time Andy was not too worried - he had made a number of friends both amongst the UAC military and the locals during the last three years or so - however, the recent news of the accident and deaths at the Mars base combined with no apparent news from or about his brother saw Andy on the first transport he could get to Mars...

And so now Andy is amongst the group of replacement marines enroute to Mars, unusually quiet and sullen as he ponders over the fate of his missing brother.

(Btw, in case you haven't clued into it yet - the 'brother' is my character from the first Doom thread)

"One hour of thinking is better than 70 years of divine service."
- Muhammad

Viva la TITO!
Hewitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 May 2005, 01:37   #20
Bakan
To Old to Die......

Ummm, Hewitt, EXCELLENT character and whatnot, but the threads.... they are independent of each other.

I'll work in your brother though
Unread 22 May 2005, 18:10   #21
Bakan
To Old to Die......

Hmmm, apparently a few others also promised profiles.... so... where are they?
Unread 23 May 2005, 05:52   #22
mrmao
oh...sexy...

mrmao is a jewel in the roughmrmao is a jewel in the roughmrmao is a jewel in the roughmrmao is a jewel in the rough

Name: Dylan Reed

Service Record:
Nov 22, 2135- Subject takes the standardized military test, and scores a 96 percentile in strategy all other scores were in the 80’s

May 4, 2137- Subject enlist in Marines

Sept 6, 2137- Finishes basic training 3rd in his class

Nov 23, 2137- Assigned to a unit in the Amazon River Basin, helping to put down rebellious elements

Apr 30, 2140- Subjects unit assigned to Iceland as part of a garrison action.

Nov 15, 2142- Subject assigned to new mars base, transported by Red Raven

Classified document
Date May 23, 2140

The Marine Dylan Reed who has scored one of the highest scores ever on the standard tests is to be sent to the prestigious war college after successful completion of a tour of duty off planet. This knowledge is to be denied to all but the highest ranking officials.

The Subject has been diagnosed with an extremely mild case of megalomania. The subject probably doesn’t even know it however his loyalty must be assed before we give him the best training on earth for his talent.

occ/there/occ
Unread 23 May 2005, 10:47   #23
Fluffie
, Mr. Fluffie

i'll ass your loyalty real good yo
Unread 23 May 2005, 13:10   #24
mrmao
oh...sexy...

oh yeah biatch lez go
Unread 23 May 2005, 13:14   #25
Fluffie
, Mr. Fluffie

it's on nigga, IT'S ON
Unread 23 May 2005, 13:18   #26
mrmao
oh...sexy...

okay lets go (pulls out green lightsaber)
Unread 23 May 2005, 13:25   #27
Fluffie
, Mr. Fluffie

you gonnah get served b0i (changes into Darth Fluffie outfit and draws a red lightsabre)
Unread 23 May 2005, 13:33   #28
mrmao
oh...sexy...

poses menicingly while waiting for the sith to make the first attack, after all being a jedi i'm not supppoesd to kill unless i have to.
Unread 23 May 2005, 14:48   #29
Fluffie
, Mr. Fluffie

correct. however i suggest we start considering bundling our forces to stand against the wrath of Bakan when he finds out we're spamming his thread.

*destroys part of the scenery with force lightening, just for show
Unread 23 May 2005, 22:21   #30
mrmao
oh...sexy...

There is wisdom in that saying perhaps we could bring balance to the force?
Unread 23 May 2005, 23:40   #31
Richpur
Just call me sir.

Posts in thread : 30
Fluffie spam posts : 9
mrmao spam posts : 5

Between you you've doubled the size of this thread.
Unread 24 May 2005, 04:27   #32
mrmao
oh...sexy...

no now we have Darth Fluffie what do you say combined our forces and make a force user academy thread. You can teach the Dark Side classes and I'll cover lightside. Eh?
Unread 24 May 2005, 12:01   #33
Bakan
To Old to Die......

Speaking of spam, assuming a few others decide to post their profiles, I'll most likely get this thread started tonight.
Unread 24 May 2005, 15:33   #34
Squidly
Avenger of Calamari

Squidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet society

This looks quite interesting actually... I've not done this type of Roleplaying in quite some time though... would anyone mind a partial newb joining up with this? I read the whole guidelines/preferences to types of characters etc...

/me wants to try! or if all else fails, I'll just keep a close eyeball on this thread and hop in the next one

I can have a profile done within a couple of hours if given the ok Lemme know!
Squidly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 May 2005, 17:20   #35
Fluffie
, Mr. Fluffie

Jedi Acamdy eh? don't think i'm good at teach, y'know, i kill and destroy stuff. randomly.
and post it, go go go go gogogogogogo squidly.

(spam +1! )
Unread 24 May 2005, 18:32   #36
Hewitt
The Aussie Dragon

Hewitt is a splendid one to beholdHewitt is a splendid one to beholdHewitt is a splendid one to beholdHewitt is a splendid one to beholdHewitt is a splendid one to beholdHewitt is a splendid one to beholdHewitt is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakan
Ummm, Hewitt, EXCELLENT character and whatnot, but the threads.... they are independent of each other.

I'll work in your brother though
Oh.... I see.... *Facepalm.* Right, nvm. Cheers anyway.

*Is brought out of wondering how he missed such an important detail by a mental tremor.*

"Hmm.... I sense a disturbance in the thread.... as if two Rp'ers have turned to the SPAM-side of the forum..."

*Discovers Darth Fluffie and Master Mao are the cause of this disturbance. Hewitt frowns at this and decides something must be done, especially since the near-innocence of a partial-newbie is in danger of becoming corrupted by the SPAM-side.*

"The spamm0rz must be destroyed."

*With dark purpose, Hewitt pulls out his trusty cricket bat and sets form to complete this grim task.*

"One hour of thinking is better than 70 years of divine service."
- Muhammad

Viva la TITO!
Hewitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 May 2005, 18:58   #37
Squidly
Avenger of Calamari

Squidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet society

Name: Teran Aronis

BACKGROUND:

PVT. Teran joined the UAC mainly with a passion for an exploring, and a desire for action. Having led a mostly sheltered academic life, he ran from home at age 20 and joined up with the marines in the hope of fulfilling this nagging desire. Teran had taken some medical courses at a number of post-secondary institutions, and showed an impressive amount of skill in the practical portion of the UAC Medical Proficiency Examination {MPE}.

Teran has always been fairly quiet... And rarely ever takes charge or bosses others around. He simply prefers to stay in the background, and help out when the situation allows for it. A break-and-enter of his house at age 8 forced him to watch the brutal beating of his sister... and on top of that his watching her die on the floor when he couldn't do anything to help patch her up; This incident prompted Teran to enter the medical profession initially, with the ultimate goal of making sure noone else would ever have to experience what he did.

This quest of his did eventually wear off, but he has kept up with his medical abilities... and can perform care in a hostile situation relatively quickly. This practice/training has left him a bit weaker with the conventional weaponry employed by his fellow Marines, and his physical strength is fairly lacking as well due to the lack of physical training done during the younger years... He would much prefer to hide and wait for an opportunity to exploit the passing danger from behind.

Current Mood: Nervous

Current Location: On route to Mars

ooc: lemme know how this is plz Hopefully I covered everything that needs to be said
Unread 24 May 2005, 19:05   #38
Squidly
Avenger of Calamari

*resists the urge to whip out his light-rubberchicken and assist in the ways of the spam*
Unread 24 May 2005, 21:38   #39
Fluffie
, Mr. Fluffie

Darth Fluffie suddenly looks away from the scene going on, sensing a new player entering the school yard. He frowns as he stares in the distance, could it be? With a flash he disappears, reappearing the same moment in front of Hewitt, once a comrade in the way of SPAM, now merely a shell of everything he had been before.

Letting the light sabre fizzle out, Darth Fluffie smiles, followed by a grin.

"So you return..."
Unread 24 May 2005, 22:03   #40
Bakan
To Old to Die......

Squidly, post looks good.

DM will be done later today.

Oh yeah, thanks to real life/job, I will only really be able to do work on this thread after work.
Unread 24 May 2005, 22:37   #41
mrmao
oh...sexy...

mrmao turns to see Darth Fluffie now confronting Hewitt.
"So this is the one who has lost his connection to the spam, light or darkside."
Unread 25 May 2005, 00:19   #42
Fluffie
, Mr. Fluffie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakan
Squidly, post looks good.

DM will be done later today.

Oh yeah, thanks to real life/job, I will only really be able to do work on this thread after work.
More pain and suffering and violence and gore yay!
Unread 25 May 2005, 02:57   #43
Bakan
To Old to Die......

As the dropship drops from low orbit, Flight Office Harden hit a few of the controls casually. This was not the first time he landed on Mars, and was well acquainted with the routine. Flipping over the switch to sync up the HUD with the incoming beacon, which using the latest wind-charts would help guide the dropship in for a landing.

However, looking at the appearing tracks and squares, Harden frowns slight. Hitting a thumb switch, he activated his microphone.

Harden: “Utopia Base, what is with the flight vector, it does not lead to the primary hanger bay, over?”

“This is Utopia Base. The primary hanger bay is undergoing repairs from the accident. You are being routed to Zeta Sector Hanger Bay. Be warned, that hanger bay is part of the original installation and it will be a little cramped.”

Harden: “Acknoledge Utopia, Pelican Dropship 456ARR2 out.”

Pulling the flight yoke a little to the left, Harden looked out the cockpit and saw in the far distance the Utopia Mars Base. Built into the side of a mountain, most of the base was underground. All that was visible was the main hanger bay, the three large cooling pipes from the fusion reactors sticking out of the top of the mountain, and a dome structure to the side on a flat segment, unburied. That dome was the original base, now called Zeta Sector, barely large enough to fit 50 people at most, if Harden recalled right, out-of-date.

Aiming towards the Zeta Sector Dome, Harden saw the hanger bay doors slowly open. Hitting a few more switches he activates the lights in the cabin indicating for everyone to take a seat and prepare for landing, which wincing in pain as the standard introduction message begins playing for all the Marines.

As you watch the lights activate, indcating that you should secure yourself in your seat, you notice that the small video monitors mounted on the back of each chair activate. During the flight they were limited to a few old entertainment shows, but now they all seem to be working in sync. The UAC logo flashes upon the screen, and through hidden speakers, a sexy female voice filled the passenger cabin as various pictures of the exterior of the Mars Base start slowly appearing then fading.

“Hello, and welcome to the Union Aerospace Corporation Utopia Mars Base. As a Marine, you are charged with the important mission of defending the installation and helping UAC scientists with groundbreaking technology. The Plasma Assault Tank, the first battalion of which were using against the jungle rebels in South America, was developed here at the UAC.”

The images then change to the Plasma Assault Tank, firing it’s plasma cannon into a building, vaporizing it in a massive explosion. As the Tank rolls through the town, the sexy female voice picks up again.

“Needless to say there are many that would love to get their hands on the UAC secrets, and thus your mission to help prevent those people finding out their secrets. You will also aid the civilian staff with their work in a wide-array of functions.”

“Upon arrival, you will be issued three items. An official Mars PDA, a Mars comm-link, and a Mars ID card. The PDA is tied into the base network, allowing you access to all unrestricted files and applications throughout the entire base. The comm-link is used for short range communications, such as talking to a civilian a few rooms over double-checking what he needed. It is also tied into the base communications system, allowing you to contact anyone on the base. Finally is the Mars ID, which is coded to permit you into all areas that you are authorized to be in. Unauthorized entry into sectors that you are not cleared for will result in disciplinary actions.”

The image then flashes to a diagram of the Mars Installation. One section starts flashing, then pictures of it start appearing, showing a clean, well-lighted area.

“What you are looking at now is the Alpha sector. This is where the living quarters are, along with the mess hall, workout facilities, and recreation facilities are located. Here at the UAC Mars Base we care about your well-being. In addition this is where the main hanger bay and visitor reception is, so if you are working here, be sure to look your best. All areas within this sector are unrestricted, with a handful of exceptions.”

The image then shifts to another segment of the base, then one apparently buried under the mountain somewhat.

“This section is the Beta Sector. It is the main research section, housing the main computer network and all the scientific labs. Naturally access to this section is restricted, so if you are not suppose to be in there, don’t.”

The image then shifts once again, then time to the side to another diagram of a dome structure out in the open, connected to the Alpha Sector by several tube structures.

“This here is the old Mars Base, now called Zeta Sector. Now mostly redundant, it holds the emergency hanger bay, along with the backup communications array. Access is unrestricted in this sector.”

The image then flashes to what apparently is the main entrance to the Mars Base, where several people, more females than males are walking about, while Marines patrol with smiles on their faces.

“We welcome you to the Mars Base, and hope that you enjoy your tour of duty here. If you have any questions, please ask the Staff Sergeant that will meet up upon landing to issue your equipment.”

The image fades away to the sound of inspiring music and the monitor shuts down, leaving the only sounds in the cabin area the sounds of reentry.

Closing in on the hanger bay, Harden saw that it would be a tight fit at best. Gripping the yoke tightly, he slowed up as the Zeta Sector dome becomes closer. Now visible was the signs of age, rust colored metal pitted with red Mars’s dirt, missing panels, and sloppy repairs. Obviously Zeta Sector was not high on the list of places to visit.

Coming in on final approach, Harden slowly the Pelican to a crawl, and slowly entered the hanger bay. Not hearing the sound of screeching metal, Harden sighed with relief and lowered the landing legs, and set down the Pelican. Looking over at his co-pilot, he saw him nod, confirming complete engine shutdown. Looking out the cockpit once more, Harden saw an old docking arm extend, then with a shudder of the Pelican, connect and seal against the Pelican’s port airlock. Seeing several lights switch to green, indicating good seal, Harden opened the airlock. More lights activated as fuel and power lines were attached, and Harden quickly accepted them, eagerly awaiting his return to space and Red Raven.

Grumbling to himself, Staff Sergeant McCoy checked his duffle bag as the airlock lights cycled. Looking out the window at the Pelican, McCoy wished that he could board her and leave this hellhole, but that would involve sneaking onboard through a single docking tube since the damn air-pumps within the hanger were down, leaving it with minimal atmosphere. Looking down at his duty uniform, he checked that his insignia was clearly visible with his name and rank.

As the airlock finished cycling, McCoy looked up at the passengers on the Pelican walked through the narrow docking arm. Each of them was carrying a single duffle of personal effects as per UAC regulations for travel to Mars, and they all looked to be tired and haggard. Lowering his right hand to his holster, McCoy felt his service pistol resting there. The nightmares as of late were getting worse, making him jumpy. The pistol at least gave him some sense of security. Seeing that all the passengers had left the Pelican, McCoy loudly cleared his throat, attracting the attention of the new arrivals.

McCoy: “Attention Marines, welcome to the UAC Utopia Mars Installation. I hope you got a good eyeful of Earth before arriving here, cause other than pictures, it’s the last one you will get. As you know, you arrived at a good time. After our recent accident, we are short-staffed, so expect to pull double-shifts for the foreseeable future. First off all, your PDA’s and comm-links.”

Handing the duffle filled with the PDA’s and comm-link’s to the nearest Marine, McCoy continued speaking.

McCoy: “Inside that bag, take one PDA and one comm-link. The PDA is the square hand-size thingie that can clip to your belt, chest pocket, le pocket, or wrist slot in the armor your will get later. The Comm-Link is the “C” shaped thingie that will go on your wrist. Both are linked to the base network systems. This means that the PDA can access the base internetwork and the comm-link receives and sends transmissions through the base systems. Without the base communications unit, with all the metal in here those suckers won’t have much range, so make sure they work. The one green light on all of them means they have a connection, if you got a red light, check it checked over or replaced. Finally, your ID tags.”

*Pulling out of a pocket on his uniform, McCoy handed out the ID tags to their respective owners. Each tag, the size of a credit card had a holographic image of its owner on it along with a thumbprint section.*

McCoy: “Due to the work being done here, many sectors are restricted. Alpha Sector’s are almost completely open to you. Beta Sector is restricted pretty heavily, and you will need the card to get into areas. Delta Sector, you don’t have permission to go there unless Sergeant Killgore authorizes it. That’s the base in a nutshell. Now follow me ladies, we got a monorail to catch.”

*Turning, McCoy hears behind him the rest of the Marines following. Walking out of the hanger bay entrance, he took a left, ignoring those that might be confused. Despite the cheery message that they were tortured with, he didn’t plan on helping them out all that much, but rather let them figure out things on their own. Yet maybe he should give them one shot.*

“If you ladies have any questions, now is the time to voice them. Once we leave Zeta Sector, that’s it, and you will have to learn things the hard way!”
Unread 25 May 2005, 03:06   #44
Bakan
To Old to Die......

Okay. Here is some information.

I now work Monday - Friday's from about 8:00AM to 4:00PM EST with about a 30 minute drive to and from (21 miles from my home here) and additional time if I take a lunch break. During this time, while I have net access, typically I don't have time to check it (plus net is only for business, not personal use). Hence, NO POSTINGS will be coming from this time.

After work I will be doing thread stuff. If you have a question about what to do in thread, remember this. I like creative and funny things. Now do I rarely horribly punish first offences, so feel free to experiment a bit. If you really need me to answer something, zap me a PM here and I'll check it when I get home.

As for this thread. I hope to do DM's every 2 days or so, maybe every day if everyone posts. We shall see what happens.
Unread 25 May 2005, 17:59   #45
Squidly
Avenger of Calamari

ooc: Just to get an idea of when a post is required... I don't write anything about my character unless I see a DM posted in my general direction right? IE I don't need one right now, but when I see: "Teran: Blahblahblah" then I need to?
Unread 25 May 2005, 22:05   #46
Bakan
To Old to Die......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidly
ooc: Just to get an idea of when a post is required... I don't write anything about my character unless I see a DM posted in my general direction right? IE I don't need one right now, but when I see: "Teran: Blahblahblah" then I need to?
Generally, you should post everything every DM. (Yes, this is for EVERYONE else also you lazy bums). There will be segments directed specifically towards your character.
Unread 25 May 2005, 22:24   #47
Heiro
'Mael'

Grave sits there, his bedraggled appearance not helped by the electric cuffs wrapped around his wrists and feat and the six foot mars marine on his left arm. Sitting back he tips his head back and thinks to himself:
“I’m dying for a smoke”
To which he replies:
“And I’m in the middle of space, with no cigs for a few million clicks. Now’s the time to start quitting”
He rebuffs this with:
“I’ll quit when I find a liquor store that’ll sell a poor mans soldier whiskey.”
“Not on this hellhole”
The monitors flash up with the uncompromising brightness and cheery demeanor that causes men like Grave to wince in their normal life and prompts violent reactions on the humans who provide such sunny behavior. Considering the only reason he wasn’t locked away in the brig without sunlight as well as cigs was the fact that he was a damn fine marine.
In his eyes, A marine worth keeping in the eyes of the jury. Both times.
Still, he was traveling to mars, after all.
The ships vids end, and Grave laughs a dead mans laugh. The marine next to him cuffs him in the face with the back of his hand.

“This corporate bullshit might cut it with the new recruits, but I know what Mars is.”
“I bet you do, you bastard. I bet they’d all love to know why you’re handcuffed to the chair.”

Settling in, he waits for the final kick of the stabilizing thrusters as they head for docking. Having been in the ground version of the pelican, Grave knows what the ship would do over land, kicking it’s sorry rear end across the plains like a bull without rein. Bracing himself, he watches the marines in the compartment miss it and bolt in their seat.

“You know what the life expectancy was of a Pelican Groundship pilot a few years ago?”
Grave poses this question to his marine companion
“No”
“It was a damn short time. They’d fly into hostiles, drop the marines off, and pick us up again. In between, if it was too hot, they’d help out. The dropship could never take them back anyway.

I only knew six pilots to live longer than 3 trips.”
“Very interesting. Now get the hell up, were here”

Grave was dragged to his feet, his long black hair swaying over his face. Shambling forward, he clambered into the airlock tube and into the main section of zeta base. Standing a few yards behind the others as the men received the speech he was hardly listening to, and received the items he was hardly caring about he waited patiently until the prisoner debrief began.
Instead there was a loud click as his cuffs disconnected their power relays.
With a swift movement, Grave elbowed the guard in the chest before turning and punting him between the legs. As the guard sags forward, Grave pulls back for a right hand, only to feel it caught by the staff sergeant.
“I knew you’d be interesting…” he said, before walking off.
Graves’ hand thuds into the side of the Marines head, and he turns to follow.
"I know what Mars is. It's a damn prison is what."
Unread 25 May 2005, 22:38   #48
mrmao
oh...sexy...

"Umm Sir" said as he stood on his tip toes trying to get noticed scince he was twoard the back of the line of mainres, "Delta Sector wasn't mentioned in the orientaion video what goes on there?"
Unread 26 May 2005, 17:12   #49
Squidly
Avenger of Calamari

Post for Teran

"I ran.... I hid... And now I'm heading to mars. What a way to go..."

The usual voice of Teran's pessimism was once again talking inside his head as he stared at a small touchpad full of medical protocols and procedures.

"You know that despite all this, you will still never be able to bring back Kr..... SHUT UP. ENOUGH. " He vented in frusteration as he lobbed the touchpad onto the rather narrow bed in his assigned quarters. Staring straight ahead at the now-shrinking image of earth through a view-screen, Teran becomes vaguely aware of a flashing light on one of the communication consoles.

"Now what?"

Walking over to the console, he touches a few of the buttons, and a holographic image comes up: "All marines and civilian replacement staff are to proceed to the Main Cabin immediately for further briefing."

"And so it starts..." says the voice in Teran's head... He smiles slightly and grabs his duffel bag. He walks out of his quarters down a couple of winding hallways to the main cabin... *WHOOSH* go the doors, and in he goes... nodding to a few of the marines in simple acknowledgement of existence. He grabs a seat along the right side of the room, just in time to see the lights dim and ....

“Hello, and welcome to the .... "

Teran stares intently at the hologram as it plays... He keeps careful note of where the medical facilities seem to be located at... and also where he could find a nice, stiff drink if the situation called for it. Nudging the marine next to him, he whispers: "Hope these next rooms we get have more than a toothpick for a bed". The marine snickers a bit, but says nothing, and they both continue to watch the clip.

“This section is the Beta Sector. It is the main research section, housing the main computer network and all the scientific labs. Naturally access to this section is restricted, so if you are not suppose to be in there, don’t.”

Teran ponders to himself: "I wonder what really goes on down there... It could get uncomfortable being allowed into that sector, but not knowing where anything is or what I'm supposed to use to get the task done... Naah. What am I saying. I'm a medic, not a commando. If they have any use for me, it'll be in the medical wing assisting with the medical staff already present. Here's hoping anyways... "

The clip ends, and a gruff, muscular man stands up, and makes his way to where the hologram was earlier. Teran whispers to the marine next to him: "Who is that?" The marine replies: "That's staff sergeant McDoy or McCoy or something like that. Very mean... very tough... and he looks to be in a bad mood today.... Best stay out of his way if you can"

Teran thinks: "Oh great. Just what we needed. Another speech". He smiles at this thought, but says nothing and listens to what his superior has to say.

"PDA ...... CommLink...... ID tag...... Red light ..... "

"that's the jist of it" Teran thought as he grabbed one of each of the required items from the duffel bag shoved in his face. He smiled as he noticed the ID tag: "Am I really that scrawny?" he mused as he attached everything as directed, and stared intently at McCoy for further instruction.

"If you have any questions..."

Teran pondered being a smartass and quipping: "Yeah, where's the toilet" ... but held back against it mainly due to his desire to not be court marshalled after 1 year of service. That didn't stop him from smiling slightly as he awaited for the group to head towards the mono-rail...

OOC: {Again, pointers, tips, praise, "learn to type you noob" etc is appreciated! I am the partial noob at this remember }
Unread 27 May 2005, 05:20   #50
Mad cat
The Dust Bunny That Bites

Mad cat is a splendid one to beholdMad cat is a splendid one to beholdMad cat is a splendid one to beholdMad cat is a splendid one to beholdMad cat is a splendid one to beholdMad cat is a splendid one to beholdMad cat is a splendid one to behold

ooc- I am terribly sorry for not getting around to doing anything, but life decided to crap on my head and subsiquently I have been rather busy of late. Fortunately I have some time now so I'll quickly slap something together and do a bit of refining later. -ooc

Name: John Dalton

John joined up with the regular army at age twenty, he stayed there for two years untill his patience ran out. His independance and above average intelligence brought him into frequent and heated conflict with his superiors and comrades. However, it was these things that kept him in place so long, they also earned him his place in the UAC marines. He left the army at twenty two, and headed straight over to the UAC recruiting center where he figured his eccentricities would be better accepted. Since that day, he has steadily risen to the point where he has the most immediate control and responsibility over the firing range, largely in part due to his uncanny ability with pistols. He also acts as a self appointed weapons instructor to anyone he deems lacking in their abilities with the various firearms.
ooc- I get the sneeking suspision that I'm bending a couple rules here, so
I'm prepaired to make changes if they are required -ooc