User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions

Unread 1 Mar 2005, 02:50   #1
BeeKiller
Theh Muffin Man \o/

BeeKiller is a jewel in the roughBeeKiller is a jewel in the roughBeeKiller is a jewel in the rough
PA Should Bring Back An Old Round

I've been discussing this with quite alot of people reminissing back to the old days of planetarion etc, how much we loved the old rounds, especially round 2, and I was thinking, why don't PA bring back round2, and by that I mean completely bring it back. Try to get the game dynamics, ship stats, the look and the feel of round to back, but not in place of the current PAX rounds, as either something you can play as well as R13/R14 etc or something they can have ready and put on for in between rounds. However it wouldn't be worth either the effort of the creators coding it, or of us paying for and playing it, if it was your average speedgame or weekend game, it should be a relatively long thing (at least a month). I know i'd be prepared to pay to play it, and I'm sure others would also, perhaps even pay marginally more than we pay currently because of the amount of work required to bring back a working game engine that looked like, felt like, and played like round 2.
Now I'm quite certain this type of thing has been suggested a long time ago, and I'm sure I remember pa team saying they no longer had the old source code, but before you dismiss this, please listen to the number of people who would be prepared to pay for this, especially if everything was like round 2 (including alliances), I'm sure enough people would pay to make it worthwhile PA team putting in the effort, and i for one would be prepared to pay slightly more than usual if they did put in the work required to do this.
Please don't flame this as I'm certain it's been suggested before (i realise this) but considering the return of alot of old players to planetarion, and Planetarions continued goal to attract new ones, wouldn't it be a good way to do that by reminding us of the past and what attracted us so much towards this brilliantly addictive text based browser game!

Your thoughts if you will.
R4: Seal left to ReCon then TRT (ReBorn)
R5-8: Don't remember exact order, but, ReBorn, Silver, Legends
R9: Didn't Play
R9.5-11: FAnG Defence Genius & later HC
R12: LCH Defence Genius
R13 and beyond: Angels Genius
BeeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Mar 2005, 02:52   #2
Marv
Jazz Man

Marv is a jewel in the roughMarv is a jewel in the roughMarv is a jewel in the rough
Re: PA Should Bring Back An Old Round

For this to happen the gam would have to be re coded again. Round 10 was a total recode.

There are no backups or remaining copies of post Round 10.

Ex ROCK HC & PA Team Head of Support.
Marv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Mar 2005, 02:58   #3
BeeKiller
Theh Muffin Man \o/

BeeKiller is a jewel in the roughBeeKiller is a jewel in the roughBeeKiller is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv
For this to happen the gam would have to be re coded again. Round 10 was a total recode.

I realise this, thats why i say it wouldn't be worth there effort if it was a short game. Obviously they'd have to recode, though the recoded engine would be something seperate from the game engine they use for round 13 onwards, I'm not suggesting this recode as a reversion back to old style pa, it's a suggestion to expand, allowing them to play old rounds of PA, and once they'd coded the old-style engine they could then re-use it whenever they wanted for any other speedgames/tournament etc they chose to, so if the support for playing these old rounds for some fun is there, then I'm sure it would be worthwhile financially also.
Unread 1 Mar 2005, 15:14   #4
Kan3
The Kan3 is back!

Kan3 is infamous around these parts

Round two was super. By far my favourite. Coincedently it was also the round in which I started playing.
Kan3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Mar 2005, 17:04   #5
Bashar
Idle Git

Bashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet society

You could never bring back an old round, if by some miracle a round was coded like round 2 (and it would be a miracle because they have to dig up the stats for EVERYTHING, how the game mechanics worked etc. - and most of those things no longer exist, so it would be guesswork, which is unlikely to be right), the round would still be nothing like round 2. For that you need the same alliances, players, attitudes and politics, and there is no way any of those will be coming back.

It is quite simply impossible to duplicate a PA round. That is one of PA's enduring features; each round is completely unique, and can never be repeated. Every round you go into, you know will be different to the last. It is a good part of PA, and I think it is also integral to what PA is. Anyway, suffice it to say, what you are suggesting is, in my view, 100% impossible.
Bashar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Mar 2005, 17:33   #6
JC
lolly roffle

JC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Good god when will people get itinto their head that we cant bring back an old round.

It doesnt even matter if you could bring back the old code, stats and whatever else, it was the huge size of the universe that made PA so enjoyable. That wont ever happen again.
Unread 1 Mar 2005, 19:47   #7
Waku
a simple pe0n

Waku has a little shameless behaviour in the past

jeeez Superfly stop whining

#newdawn

Don't Trust Anyone

Proud to have served with the guys of 2:10 in PaX

We are the Elysium Support Center
Waku is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Mar 2005, 20:28   #8
The Master

I think this has been gone over before several times...
Unread 2 Mar 2005, 01:33   #9
Nadar
I see you!

Nadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
Good god when will people get itinto their head that we cant bring back an old round.
Can't or won't?
Unread 2 Mar 2005, 01:45   #10
Phil^
Insomniac

Phil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Literally - Cant.

I wish people would understand this.
Im hoping another thread like this wont appear after a few weeks, but odds on that it will.
Unread 2 Mar 2005, 01:57   #11
demiGOD
the Sacred Pervert

demiGOD is just really nicedemiGOD is just really nicedemiGOD is just really nicedemiGOD is just really nicedemiGOD is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeKiller
I've been discussing this with quite alot of people reminissing back to the old days of planetarion etc, how much we loved the old rounds, especially round 2, and I was thinking, why don't PA bring back round2, and by that I mean completely bring it back. Try to get the game dynamics, ship stats, the look and the feel of round to back, but not in place of the current PAX rounds, as either something you can play as well as R13/R14 etc or something they can have ready and put on for in between rounds. However it wouldn't be worth either the effort of the creators coding it, or of us paying for and playing it, if it was your average speedgame or weekend game, it should be a relatively long thing (at least a month). I know i'd be prepared to pay to play it, and I'm sure others would also, perhaps even pay marginally more than we pay currently because of the amount of work required to bring back a working game engine that looked like, felt like, and played like round 2.
Now I'm quite certain this type of thing has been suggested a long time ago, and I'm sure I remember pa team saying they no longer had the old source code, but before you dismiss this, please listen to the number of people who would be prepared to pay for this, especially if everything was like round 2 (including alliances), I'm sure enough people would pay to make it worthwhile PA team putting in the effort, and i for one would be prepared to pay slightly more than usual if they did put in the work required to do this.
Please don't flame this as I'm certain it's been suggested before (i realise this) but considering the return of alot of old players to planetarion, and Planetarions continued goal to attract new ones, wouldn't it be a good way to do that by reminding us of the past and what attracted us so much towards this brilliantly addictive text based browser game!

no

fs

Veneratio | Insomnia | F-Crew | Subh
demiGOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Mar 2005, 09:20   #12
noah02
The Original Terran

noah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil^
Literally - Cant.

I wish people would understand this.
Im hoping another thread like this wont appear after a few weeks, but odds on that it will.

Hehe i know 2 in less than a week
everyone is crazeh

Written by Kloopy Wed Mar 16 22:06:43 2005

Retired just for a bit....

Proud to have been 1up, SiN, Wolfpack, Bluetuba and the leader of ARK.
noah02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Mar 2005, 12:58   #13
KoeN
Lucky
Helicopter Champion

KoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant future

there are several clones out there, based on old pa-rounds. and all free.
(p|anetia, LH, vsn-wars for example).

i don't really see the problem.
KoeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Mar 2005, 10:01   #14
Kan3
The Kan3 is back!

I only said what I did because I liked r2. I know it is impossible to replicate it. I was just thinking of the good days.
Unread 3 Mar 2005, 10:02   #15
Kan3
The Kan3 is back!

I see the forums are still full of pre-puberty teenagers flaming each other lol
Unread 3 Mar 2005, 11:08   #16
noah02
The Original Terran

noah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kan3
I only said what I did because I liked r2. I know it is impossible to replicate it. I was just thinking of the good days.
me to but if you try one of the wannabes you it just aint the same without the like 60000 multi planets etc....
Nothing ever beats the old days like my grandad use to say.

Written by Kloopy Wed Mar 16 22:06:43 2005

Retired just for a bit....

Proud to have been 1up, SiN, Wolfpack, Bluetuba and the leader of ARK.
noah02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Mar 2005, 23:14   #17
demiGOD
the Sacred Pervert

demiGOD is just really nicedemiGOD is just really nicedemiGOD is just really nicedemiGOD is just really nicedemiGOD is just really nice

Quote:
like that movie 'kids'

Veneratio | Insomnia | F-Crew | Subh
demiGOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Mar 2005, 07:01   #18
LukeyLove
ND Ninja!
Trampoline Tricks 2 Champion

LukeyLove is a splendid one to beholdLukeyLove is a splendid one to beholdLukeyLove is a splendid one to beholdLukeyLove is a splendid one to beholdLukeyLove is a splendid one to beholdLukeyLove is a splendid one to beholdLukeyLove is a splendid one to behold

;o i tried playing ******** at the start of their new round.. it wasnt for me personally but its got all the features of the early PA rounds.. t1/t2/t3 shooting etc.. some of us actually prefer the new round style.. u may find that concept abit crazy but i like the cozy feel of the universe as it is

RAWR!

~Love Luke, Love Life~
LukeyLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Mar 2005, 15:25   #19
Alki
Drink is Good

Alki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better place

well tbh he isnt saying he wants to replicate the round now is he, he jus wants the basic game of how it was in round 2, ie the stats and gameplay, not all the same players
Unread 4 Mar 2005, 21:16   #20
Bashar
Idle Git

Bashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alki
well tbh he isnt saying he wants to replicate the round now is he, he jus wants the basic game of how it was in round 2, ie the stats and gameplay, not all the same players
But without the same players, it wouldn't even feel the same, as a lot of it is how it is used.
Bashar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Mar 2005, 21:59   #21
Goafer LX

Goafer LX has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
well where would we be without them

on the subject....due to pa only ahving a few servers, surely for them, to re run a round for a month u would have to put it in a queue...after tha r13 havoc/speedgames... and that would be a while
and if its gonna be free then would it really be worth spinner and co bothering to re code, think about it logically....
and more to the point... isn't this a bit of slap in the face with a wet fish to all those who have spent so much time developing the game over the recent years... basically what your saying.....is that they've made a shit game
or at least thats how i would interpret it

[INS]Goafer
Goafer LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Mar 2005, 03:59   #22
BeeKiller
Theh Muffin Man \o/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goafer LX#
well where would we be without them

on the subject....due to pa only ahving a few servers, surely for them, to re run a round for a month u would have to put it in a queue...after tha r13 havoc/speedgames... and that would be a while
and if its gonna be free then would it really be worth spinner and co bothering to re code, think about it logically....
and more to the point... isn't this a bit of slap in the face with a wet fish to all those who have spent so much time developing the game over the recent years... basically what your saying.....is that they've made a shit game
or at least thats how i would interpret it
Well, assuming you've read my post, I was suggesting running it as something to do, either in between rounds, or (partially) alongside one. Also, wanting to play an old round isn't saying what they've made now is shit, PA has always been fun, the old rounds and the new, while the main game naturally has to progress to remain new and interesting which is what it is doing, I don't see the harm in running an old round occassionally (for a fee) because everyone enjoys it. Another thing, I personally think all the clones of the old rounds are rubbish, and most of them I've played seem to have so many bugs in that it's beyond a joke. This is why i think it would be worth a seperate recode (i.e. kept seperate from the r13+ game engine) as although alot of work would be needed, it would be enjoyable and I know alot of people who would pay for it/
I know it's been said that they have no backups of the old rounds, which I'm not disputing, but as a programmer myself (currently still at uni) it seems extremely odd that they wouldn't backup what was essentially their living at the time. If however it's a case of the rights of the old rounds being sold, or the backups being corrupted etc that might make a bit more sense.

To answer the posts like Phil^'s and similar ones.
Let me stress again that I KNOW that extremely similar threads to this have been posted several times before this, however I'm trying to make a point that there are enough people willing to pay to play one of these old rounds, and the free clones simply don't compare (lets be honest) that it would also be financially viable to put in the effort of coding. You'd think after doing planetarion for this long it would be slightly easier for them to code another engine as the basic structure of the code isn't likely to differ that much.
Unread 6 Mar 2005, 11:20   #23
Nadar
I see you!

Nadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Let me stress again that I KNOW that extremely similar threads to this have been posted several times before this, however I'm trying to make a point that there are enough people willing to pay to play one of these old rounds, and the free clones simply don't compare (lets be honest) that it would also be financially viable to put in the effort of coding.
Agree.. at least I'd be paying for something that was worth the money then
Unread 6 Mar 2005, 12:05   #24
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future

it has to be more than a few forums users who want something, in fact it would have to be more people than are willing to pay the current game who would be willing to play the "new" game in order to make such a drastic change worth while

Round 6-10 NoS member-->NoS junior HC
Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Check out toastmonster.com for crazy illustrations and art
Kal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Mar 2005, 15:53   #25
Seth Mace
Down Boy - WOOF!

Seth Mace is a glorious beacon of lightSeth Mace is a glorious beacon of lightSeth Mace is a glorious beacon of lightSeth Mace is a glorious beacon of lightSeth Mace is a glorious beacon of lightSeth Mace is a glorious beacon of light

As people said, it was the shear numbers and scope of the game that gave it such an appeal. The stats had little to do with this, PA was a first for many and what it offered was new and fresh.

Oh and the fact it was FREE.

None of the stats back then were anything special, if they were, we would still be using them or a slightly changed version. Plus if the game engine was so good, it would never of been lost unless the people who had the code were complete idiots?
R5: [HR] - [DuH] Triad with [BD] & [UV]
R6: [HR] - [HyB] Alliance with [BD]
R7, R8, R9, R9.5: Nos Wing [HR]
R10: [HR]
R10.5: [HR] - [FYTFO] Alliance with ]LCH[
R11, R12, R13, R15, R16, R17: [HR]
Seth Mace is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Mar 2005, 18:10   #26
Neferti
part time ghost

Neferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to beholdNeferti is a splendid one to behold

For once I find myself agreeing with Sethmace; it was the numbers that made old rounds fun much more than the stats and code.
Unread 8 Mar 2005, 05:57   #27
lokken
BlueTuba

lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I don't see why anyone would want to play with old stats, when PA as a game is so much better now (excluding the dedication and people playing) - the old stats were pretty basic and full of holes open to exploitation.

The current stats are far more cultured, and I believe that should continue. With less numbers nowadays you need those kind of stats to ensure the game is playable.
Unread 11 Mar 2005, 08:45   #28
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv

Sorry, I just HAVE to comment on this, but, "WTF" ??
No backups?
Seems a tad hard to believe.
Every self-respecting software developer makes backups of his little lovechilds.
Unread 11 Mar 2005, 08:54   #29
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Structural Integrity
Sorry, I just HAVE to comment on this, but, "WTF" ??
No backups?
Seems a tad hard to believe.
Every self-respecting software developer makes backups of his little lovechilds.
there may be backups but the code is entirly different, even different languages at some points, also a lot of hte admin facilities are not in the old versions of the game - in short any game using pre rpund 10 code would be hard for us to run and would be full of cheating withotu signifcant changes.

It would be much easier just to change the current combat code than to go back to an old version of the game.

Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Unread 11 Mar 2005, 12:13   #30
Orion Treet
Forever Noob

Orion Treet has a spectacular aura aboutOrion Treet has a spectacular aura about

Lets keep the old days unblemished in our memories. If we have an old round now we'd probebly see many flaws in it wich would ruin the memories
<Zhil> I am HC
<Zhil> I gave myself permission
<[MO]Forest> i meant a proper hc, not a hc who would suicide into his MO's fleet

Played r4-9.5 r12-14 Now retired.
Proud to have been Cosmic Frostbite (r12 - 22:5 - #1 gal)
Forever [4D] - LCH, ND, Absolute, TFD, DLR
Might and greed will never outweigh honor and loyalty!
Orion Treet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Mar 2005, 20:31   #31
steve

steve is a jewel in the roughsteve is a jewel in the roughsteve is a jewel in the rough

hmmm visability there actually may be a way. iirc spinner released a vry basic code pa deta or something silly quite a long time ago. this is what lh use as a basis and also what p|anetia stole from lh as there basis. it would not be a total recode as you have a basis to go on. also spinner the basics of what is needed are simple as they are already done. i belive you can find old stats around some where maybe scouse has them.

however on the idea. it wont be the same anyway it will wont have player base and will be p2p which is a key factor to the smaller crrent player base.
[23:42:56] <SkyHead> Keep your fleets
[23:43:02] <SkyHead> Keep your faith
[23:43:08] <SkyHead> Keep your anti 1up spirit

-retired 1up MO-
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Mar 2005, 20:32   #32
steve

steve is a jewel in the roughsteve is a jewel in the roughsteve is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal
there may be backups but the code is entirly different, even different languages at some points, also a lot of hte admin facilities are not in the old versions of the game - in short any game using pre rpund 10 code would be hard for us to run and would be full of cheating withotu signifcant changes.

It would be much easier just to change the current combat code than to go back to an old version of the game.
wasnt the cheating a main part of playing pa at the time
[23:42:56] <SkyHead> Keep your fleets
[23:43:02] <SkyHead> Keep your faith
[23:43:08] <SkyHead> Keep your anti 1up spirit

-retired 1up MO-
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Mar 2005, 21:56   #33
Kal
Inactive peon

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve
wasnt the cheating a main part of playing pa at the time
ah so what everyone really wants is cheating back then...?

Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Unread 11 Mar 2005, 22:00   #34
Cochese
Retired

Cochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond repute

I would think running the main game on 'outdated' code is out of the question.

However, having a small server dedicated to fast tick 'throwback' rounds would be fun--much in the same way that-certain-clone-game has a dedicated speedround server.

Edit: if whoever gave me a negative rep for this post would be kind enough to send me a PM and point out how/why they dissaprove, I would appreciate it...I can't for the life of me figure out how (in any concievable way) this is 'bad'. Thanks.

Utterly useless since r3

Last edited by Cochese; 11 Mar 2005 at 23:37.
Cochese is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Mar 2005, 01:44   #35
Richpur
Just call me sir.

Richpur is a glorious beacon of lightRichpur is a glorious beacon of lightRichpur is a glorious beacon of lightRichpur is a glorious beacon of lightRichpur is a glorious beacon of light

PA lost a lot of players when it went p2p and it only built up that massive player base because it was unique... You're not ever going to really get those days back, especially not slotting it in between proper rounds. I suppose the choices are to get used to the smaller universe or buy a rocking chair.

On a slightly seperate note, round 13? I know I haven't been really keeping track properly since I stopped playing in round 8/9, but is that counting from the very beginning or from the weirdly named round 2?
Unread 12 Mar 2005, 01:49   #36
Cochese
Retired

Cochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond repute

Counting from the Beginning, round 1.

Utterly useless since r3
Unread 12 Mar 2005, 01:52   #37
Richpur
Just call me sir.

Richpur is a glorious beacon of lightRichpur is a glorious beacon of lightRichpur is a glorious beacon of lightRichpur is a glorious beacon of lightRichpur is a glorious beacon of light

Wow, only missed four rounds... wonder if it's too late to have another go.
Unread 12 Mar 2005, 01:55   #38
Cochese
Retired

I think r13 is the perfect time to have another go.

Utterly useless since r3
Unread 12 Mar 2005, 12:10   #39
max_vix
ViX

max_vix is infamous around these partsmax_vix is infamous around these partsmax_vix is infamous around these partsmax_vix is infamous around these partsmax_vix is infamous around these partsmax_vix is infamous around these parts

I have played in the last 2 speedgames but before that the last time I played was round 3. I miss it definitely but there is no point IMO to get it back. All my old alliance / galaxy mates are long gone, it just wouldn't be the same.

(still can't believe there is no PDS and you don't have to pay eonium to launch ur ships!!)
max_vix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Mar 2005, 20:54   #40
Think
Yeah I hear you

Think is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by max_vix
I have played in the last 2 speedgames but before that the last time I played was round 3. I miss it definitely but there is no point IMO to get it back. All my old alliance / galaxy mates are long gone, it just wouldn't be the same.
It`s just to find some new Alliance/ gal mates then
As most players here welcomes old players with open arms.
Even tho it doesnt seem like it at all time here on the forum most ppl are nice
Unread 12 Mar 2005, 21:08   #41
Alessio
deserves a medal

Alessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet society

bleh.. Old rounds..
tbh the most entertaining times I had in PA were the last few SG's sex0ring with Amy LukeyLove and Gr[afk]nd

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokken
I don't see why anyone would want to play with old stats, when PA as a game is so much better now (excluding the dedication and people playing) - the old stats were pretty basic and full of holes open to exploitation.

The current stats are far more cultured, and I believe that should continue. With less numbers nowadays you need those kind of stats to ensure the game is playable.
yeah the gamecode improves every round..
Unread 12 Mar 2005, 21:19   #42
Alessio
deserves a medal

Alessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
wouldn't it be a good way to do that by reminding us of the past and what attracted us so much towards this brilliantly addictive text based browser game!

Its the people that make it fun.. especially in the old days when the gameplay was so simple as hell..
I think the old code won't be satisfiing but just disappointing when you play it again with the same peeps you play PA now with..

I dont think it would live up to your expectations

Last edited by Alessio; 12 Mar 2005 at 21:27.
Alessio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Mar 2005, 00:17   #43
Richpur
Just call me sir.

Complex does not necessarily equal good; personally I liked it back when you couldn't tell what sort of tactics someone was likely to use by looking at their race choice.

On the other hand it looks like everything only targets one class now... which just seems weird to me, gone from everything targeting everything, to having three target classes, to two, now one... I fail to see how saying A shoots at B and nothing else is more complex than A shoots B, then C if they run out, then if you're really lucky they might take a pot shot at D.
Unread 13 Mar 2005, 01:05   #44
Kal
Inactive peon

I think you will find the rond 13 stats have a lot more charachter and that there is a lot more choice left to the player about how their fleet ends up - http://pirate.planetarion.com/showthread.php?p=2845767

Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Unread 13 Mar 2005, 19:00   #45
Richpur
Just call me sir.

That is what I was looking at; from those stats there seems to be one target per type of craft and a generic "damage" value in the place of the old number and power of guns... I might be reading them wrong of course. It also doesn't mention Xan cloaking, was that removed at some point?
Unread 13 Mar 2005, 19:09   #46
Cochese
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richpur
That is what I was looking at; from those stats there seems to be one target per type of craft and a generic "damage" value in the place of the old number and power of guns... I might be reading them wrong of course. It also doesn't mention Xan cloaking, was that removed at some point?
You're reading them right. Agility, guns, weaponspeed...all gone.

As for Xan "cloaking", it is effectively removed since a fleet without pods no longer shows up as '0' ships, though the new 'military' scan will not reveal what they actually sent.

Utterly useless since r3
Unread 13 Mar 2005, 19:52   #47
Richpur
Just call me sir.

So all ships move and fire with exactly the same accuracy, every bit of firepower put out by a ship will hit something of the sole target class and ignore everything else.

And cloaking gone... As a player who liked using fleets of ghosts/phantoms back before races existed, I can't say I'm pleased about that.

Looks like I'll be joining up as a free to start with; I just hope it actually works better than it looks like it will.
Unread 13 Mar 2005, 20:14   #48
Cochese
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richpur
So all ships move and fire with exactly the same accuracy, every bit of firepower put out by a ship will hit something of the sole target class and ignore everything else.
Yup. Simply Armor vs Damage.

Quote:
And cloaking gone... As a player who liked using fleets of ghosts/phantoms back before races existed, I can't say I'm pleased about that.
I'm not either, but so far my attempts to reintroduce 'proper' cloaking have failed.

Quote:
I just hope it actually works better than it looks like it will.
For the most part, it does.

Utterly useless since r3