User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Roleplaying
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 11 Feb 2005, 23:07   #1
Disrupter
Sniping pigeons

Disrupter is a name known to allDisrupter is a name known to allDisrupter is a name known to allDisrupter is a name known to allDisrupter is a name known to allDisrupter is a name known to all
New Thread Idea, New style arena

Ok heres my vision of this thread. It is an arena that is kind of tick based. A tick will come every day around 5-8, EST, or if i can get a co-DM, between 10-1 and 8-11 EST. During a tick, your armies will be moved around and resources will be allocated so they fit your earnings. Yes, armies.

I am going to ask my friend to make a login in thing for this thread, you will go to the link and then check the map of your base and area explored, which i shall half-assedly draw. This thread will combine graphics and your ordering me around as opposed to me ordering you. I am more of the "computer" in this sence.

It is either you all have seperate logins, or you know what everyone else is doing, where, and how much money they have. I perfer trying the first method, so you can surprise attack people and not know everything because thats stupid.

Keep in mind, this is just an idea and i WILL need a co-dm, for when im away or at school for the morning tick. So far the two game options are that we have one mid-day tick (occuring at night i think for all you europeans, but it wouldnt really matter), OR we have 2 Dms, me ticking at night (EST) and one tickign in the morning (EST or whenever morning would be for me in your countries).

Please throw out any comments and concerns and questions you have, right now i just have to work on the site, graphics, and combat, but everything else is more or less set.

NOTE: This is just a test of a new style thread, please dont yell at me if it seems too complex or bad for time reasons, let me know these things!
Unread 12 Feb 2005, 01:44   #2
Richpur
Just call me sir.

Richpur is a glorious beacon of lightRichpur is a glorious beacon of lightRichpur is a glorious beacon of lightRichpur is a glorious beacon of lightRichpur is a glorious beacon of light
Re: New Thread Idea, New style arena

So we give orders to you in secret; and you tell us what is happening in secret through an external website...

Now I'm not saying it's a bad idea as such; but two ticks per day limits the number of people who can play, a number of us only get online between one of the playing periods, ticks need to be 24 hours minimum really. Also it cuts your workload in two, which means you're likely to get bored of it slower; acting as the computer is rarely as much fun as playing the game.

The second point is one that people might think is a bit finnicky but here goes anyway: if the only actions/feedback are through private messaging of some kind and an external webby - what does it have to do with a new style of thread? There doesn't seem to be any point in there being a thread since the only stuff to post in it are global announcements...

Not a bad idea for a game, but in all honesty I can't see it as a thread, when everything happens in secret it becomes less a matter of roleplaying and more a matter of just, well playing.
Unread 12 Feb 2005, 14:15   #3
Hewitt
The Aussie Dragon

Hewitt is a splendid one to beholdHewitt is a splendid one to beholdHewitt is a splendid one to beholdHewitt is a splendid one to beholdHewitt is a splendid one to beholdHewitt is a splendid one to beholdHewitt is a splendid one to behold

Not only that but it's a pretty ambitious plan... how are you going to manage the heavy workload that will no doubt be required?

"One hour of thinking is better than 70 years of divine service."
- Muhammad

Viva la TITO!
Hewitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Feb 2005, 21:05   #4
Flaag
I have returned! (again)

Flaag is infamous around these partsFlaag is infamous around these partsFlaag is infamous around these parts

sounds pretty fun, but would probably be better as a self-contained site (all u need is a way to contact the dms, a global message board and the maps by the sound of it), cos theres no real point in having it on the forums. Also i dont think this is really that new, this isnt the first army thread (cant remember the name of it, but there was a similar-sounding one last time i left the forums), or the first to use external maps (however this uses them to a far greater extent). and in all honesty with good enough descriptions maps are hardly necessary, and most troop movements can be publicly declared, with penalties enforced if players are deemed to be reacting to information that they would not know IC.
but yeh, 2 ticks a day is too many, i can just about get on 1ce per day, if i'm lucky.
for all those who are wondering, all these ideas/comments were organised in my mind, but kinda got mushed up when i typed them
Flaag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Feb 2005, 00:30   #5
AcidK
Assassin For Hire

AcidK has a spectacular aura aboutAcidK has a spectacular aura about

I was actually thinking of doing something like this, but a stat-based thread rather than an arena thread. I am all for an arena-style thread like this, but I am still developing my idea and making a Shraan-based 'colonisation and conquering' thread that would involve players fighting each other and trying to take over, say, a planet or multiple planets (the latter would only be in the second thread of a series if the first thread of the series hits off well).

There would be a thread on these boards to announce global things such as news, who's leading (score, rank, notoriety, etc) but everything else such as orders, actions and what happens to each player would be PM-based. The load would be high, but it is a good idea none-the-less.

If I was to do something liek this, it would be 1turn per every 2 days, due to the load.
Demand to see life's manager.
Make life rue the day it thought it could give me lemons.
Do you know who I am?
I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down!
With the lemons.
I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!
AcidK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Feb 2005, 17:02   #6
flapjack
crashed computer

flapjack is infamous around these parts

you know, you could get a Gmail adress for all the PMs and such.

<Gryffin> ungrateful wretches
<Gryffin> they should be here!
<Gryffin> so I can grace them with my presence
flapjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Feb 2005, 17:07   #7
Fluffie
, Mr. Fluffie

Fluffie is a splendid one to beholdFluffie is a splendid one to beholdFluffie is a splendid one to beholdFluffie is a splendid one to beholdFluffie is a splendid one to beholdFluffie is a splendid one to beholdFluffie is a splendid one to beholdFluffie is a splendid one to behold

i have 50 or so invites if anyone needs it
Unread 13 Feb 2005, 23:33   #8
Flaag
I have returned! (again)

Flaag is infamous around these partsFlaag is infamous around these partsFlaag is infamous around these parts

just as a question that i need to post sooner or later, but as you can see from my rep venturing into GD has proven to be a bad idea...
what is the time difference from GMT to EST?
Unread 14 Feb 2005, 00:15   #9
Richpur
Just call me sir.

Richpur is a glorious beacon of lightRichpur is a glorious beacon of lightRichpur is a glorious beacon of lightRichpur is a glorious beacon of lightRichpur is a glorious beacon of light

EST (Eastern Standard Time) is 5 hours behind GMT (Greenwich Mean Time).
Unread 14 Feb 2005, 00:21   #10
Flaag
I have returned! (again)

thankye
Unread 14 Feb 2005, 00:25   #11
AcidK
Assassin For Hire

AcidK has a spectacular aura aboutAcidK has a spectacular aura about

EST = GMT-5

Therefor, as said, EST is 5 hours behind GMT
Demand to see life's manager.
Make life rue the day it thought it could give me lemons.
Do you know who I am?
I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down!
With the lemons.
I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!
AcidK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Feb 2005, 02:48   #12
Disrupter
Sniping pigeons

Disrupter is a name known to allDisrupter is a name known to allDisrupter is a name known to allDisrupter is a name known to allDisrupter is a name known to allDisrupter is a name known to all

thanks for all the input guys, i shall fiddle with this idea in my brain for a while and announce any changes if i wanna follow Acidk's idea or incorperate your advice. Once again, thanks.
Unread 14 Feb 2005, 02:50   #13
Kal'rek

Kal'rek is a jewel in the roughKal'rek is a jewel in the roughKal'rek is a jewel in the roughKal'rek is a jewel in the rough

and australia is gmt +11 so that makes me 11 times dumber than you guys right?
Unread 14 Feb 2005, 09:40   #14
Hewitt
The Aussie Dragon

Hewitt is a splendid one to beholdHewitt is a splendid one to beholdHewitt is a splendid one to beholdHewitt is a splendid one to beholdHewitt is a splendid one to beholdHewitt is a splendid one to beholdHewitt is a splendid one to behold

+11 GMT for all you daylight savings cretins, +10 GMT for all us QLD enlightened folk

"One hour of thinking is better than 70 years of divine service."
- Muhammad

Viva la TITO!
Hewitt is offline   Reply With Quote